Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

gained Bolt Thrower after siege sally battle

TamerlanTamerlan Posts: 52Registered Users
Playing High Elf, Rebels siege Star Tower and I attack them with garrison, garrisoned lord army and outside supporting lord army.

The garrison includes 2 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower. Both lord armies have no such unit.

During the fight, rebels cavalry attack the garrison Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower and they rout off battle.

At the end of the fight, my garrisoned lord army has an Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower it did not have before, half health and replenishing. The garrison still shows the standard 2 ECBT.

I suppose the chivalrous thing to do is disband the unit I didnt earn, but that's just not who I am ; )

Comments

• Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    They were just impressed with your tactical skill and decided to join you. No shame in welcoming folk willing to fight!
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 5,165Registered Users
    This happens sometimes... and I have absolutely no idea how. I can never do it on purpose. Not sure what the hell the mechanics of it are. Usually for me it's getting free artillery while the empire fighting other imperial factions.
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    The mechanics are pretty much like this:

Same race or it's a type both can use (Goblin Rock Lobber becomes Grudgethrower, etc.)

Crew must be dead

Pray to RNGesus
  • StephinceStephince Posts: 2,195Registered Users
    RNGesus has never answered this particular prayer for me.
  • harngersteinharngerstein Posts: 703Registered Users
    Its a vestige from empire TW where if you killed off an enemy artillery crew you could gain the guns after the battle, which was a tactic of the time
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 911Registered Users
    Anytime I play the "Battle of Bloodpine Woods" I hunt down all the artillery crews to the last man in the hope that I might commandeer a Mortar or Hellstorm Rocket after the battle.

2 and a half years on and it's never worked, but I keep trying!
  • twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 1,838Registered Users
    edited January 11
    Presumably you need a spare slot in the army as well.
  • endurendur Posts: 2,610Registered Users

Anytime I play the "Battle of Bloodpine Woods" I hunt down all the artillery crews to the last man in the hope that I might commandeer a Mortar or Hellstorm Rocket after the battle.

I have gotten an artillery piece from that battle, but its pretty rare.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 911Registered Users
    endur said:

I have gotten an artillery piece from that battle, but its pretty rare.
    Seriously? I've never once captured an artillery piece in that battle, and I've played more Empire campaigns than any other faction. I always just figured it was because it was a quest battle or something.
  • IlyandirIlyandir Posts: 174Registered Users
    I've had it happen a couple of times. That said, I mostly run with full stacks when I can, which makes me think that if other people are the same, that might be why we don't notice it so much due to there not being a spot in our armies and as such we don't get it.
    I can bend minds with my spoon.
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Posts: 478Registered Users
    If I have the advantage sometimes I'll free up a slot just in case the RNG gods shine kindly on me. I've gotten maybe 3-4 art before, I'm pretty sure all empire cause you have to be fighting your own race.

Team Vampire Counts

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 5,165Registered Users

Its a vestige from empire TW where if you killed off an enemy artillery crew you could gain the guns after the battle, which was a tactic of the time

See... this just goes to show... that all the awesome old DNA from every game Empire+ is still in current (pre-3K, anyway, or is that using the same engine?) games. Which makes a lot of exclusions really angering.
  • harngersteinharngerstein Posts: 703Registered Users
    Itharus said:

See... this just goes to show... that all the awesome old DNA from every game Empire+ is still in current (pre-3K, anyway, or is that using the same engine?) games. Which makes a lot of exclusions really angering.
    3K still uses the 3rd edition Total War AKA Warscape engine. Same since Empire. It's expensive to make new engines, which is why you have games like 3K and Fallout 76 (and presumably Starfield) using the same chugging relic of an engine from literally prehistoric eras in computing.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 1,532Registered Users
    It's hard to total kill an artillery crew, but you get them frequently in auto calcs that destroy enemy stacks.
  • zinsncabszinsncabs Posts: 387Registered Users
    I’ve done this a two or three times - most recently as Franz in the early mission where you ambush Boris. Got me a Helstorm Rocket Battery.
    TEARS FOR THE SALT GOD !!! MODS FOR THE BUTHURT !!!
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Posts: 2,754Registered Users
    the chance to get one after battle is 5% I believe if the conditions are met

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)