Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Death of unique characters and their children

lilpopelilpope Posts: 9Registered Users
Curious to see how long the unique characters live in relative to the length of the campaign and whether or not they pass any of their attributes to their children as the game will become very vanilla if they don't and all the unique characters have died.

I'm also really curious to see how the AI/auto resolve handle with not letting their unique generals die, can just imagine the AI making silly mistakes and having alot of their unique generals die randomly in random battles so you never even get to see them

Comments

• TayvarTayvar Posts: 8,485Registered Users
    Good point, but in Total War: Warhammer Trilogy the 'legendary lords' AKA unique characters seems to have a big bonus in the auto-resolve as opposed to 'generic generals'.
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 620Registered Users
    There needs to be a good balance, a sense of loss is good, but losing too many is bad. Hopefully there are ways to escape death to fight another battle.
  • Syrio_ForelSyrio_Forel Junior Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    It‘s really concerning that when a leader dies, all of the faction unique traits are gone too right ??
  • AoishiroAoishiro Posts: 33Registered Users

It‘s really concerning that when a leader dies, all of the faction unique traits are gone too right ??

I disagree here, I expect that if you lose your faction leader. The game would become much harder.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 667Registered Users

We don’t know if the heir will have also unique traits. Hope so otherwise it’s gets pretty bland.
  • Syrio_ForelSyrio_Forel Junior Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    Aoishiro said:

I disagree here, I expect that if you lose your faction leader. The game would become much harder.
    You think, that when liu biao dies (how old is he 99 years old maybe :) ) the whole faction sense is worthless? That would be sh.. bad

Aoishiro said:

You think, that when liu biao dies (how old is he 99 years old maybe :) ) the whole faction sense is worthless? That would be sh.. bad
    Depends on how many game years it would take for a player to achieve the campaign goals, the campaign might be already at it's end by the time that characters would start dying of old age.
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
  • SchepelSchepel Senior Member Posts: 1,413Registered Users
    In TW Saga heirs, just like all other characters, have unique traits and so forth. It would surprise me greatly if this game would be any different. Also, I assume faction specific traits are functional irrespective of whichever character is leading said faction.
  • AoishiroAoishiro Posts: 33Registered Users

Aoishiro said:

You didn't choose Liu Biao for no reasons. Among the 11 warlords, he is the "old guy" and even then he died in 208 which means you have 18 years to play with him before he died of natural cause.

I don't think that the heirs should be useless (there seems to be hints of some kind of education part in Sun Jian's Guanxi). "Guided well, their power and influence will only grow over time, perhaps even to eclipse that of the father himself."

Tbh, I await for more info on the education concept, plus It seems like you can make your trusted friend your heir again I await info on this and hope there would be consequences if you did.

But yeah, if the default leader dies. I hope the campaign becomes harder and that you could lose some of your faction trait if you failed to educate your kids.
    Schepel said:

In TW Saga heirs, just like all other characters, have unique traits and so forth. It would surprise me greatly if this game would be any different. Also, I assume faction specific traits are functional irrespective of whichever character is leading said faction.

Nope. See legendary characters for more info. Clearly stated that some traits are specific and only as long as the faction leader is alive.
  • AryndelinAryndelin Junior Member Posts: 839Registered Users
    edited January 13
    LESAMA said:

Schepel said:

Nope. See legendary characters for more info. Clearly stated that some traits are specific and only as long as the faction leader is alive.
    Pretty sure this is correct.

They also especially pointed out that some heirs might be unsuitable as faction leader and the player may want to make a general or his\hers child the heir instead.
  • FheoooFheooo Posts: 4Registered Users
    The game will lose some of its flavour when all the unique characters are dead and there are no more unique character models - just the generic ones. But I would have thought that traits would pass down to heirs, or at least they would get their own set of traits that could potentially change a factions play style. For instance one leader could be very aggressive and warlike with great cavalry, and then his heir is all about diplomacy and has bonuses there instead.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 918Registered Users
    Fheooo said:

The game will lose some of its flavor when all the unique characters are dead and there are no more unique character models - just the generic ones...

I think that's a valid concern, especially considering how the game puts such emphasis on these unique characters. In Gongsun Zan's blog it states that his faction will lose both of his unique bonuses when or if he dies, so as you head into the mid- and and late-game your faction becomes less interesting to play, because you're now essentially playing as a generic faction with nothing to set it apart.
    If every faction loses their starting Warlord's bonuses/traits when he/she dies, then that strikes me as a big issue.

What I'd like to see is some kind of mechanic whereby you can gain or retain bonuses & traits for your faction/warlord by maintaining an unbroken line of direct succession from your starting leader, so there's a decent benefit to taking the best care of your family and puts an emphasis on keeping them alive.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,261Registered Users
    It's weird that as Gongsun Zan your heir doesn't inherit faction traits. I mean, it's totally nonsensical, there is no reason for that to be the case. They should reconsider that and just make any trait like that faction based instead of Character based(excluding some like Liu Bei's)
    Krunch said:

It's weird that as Gongsun Zan your heir doesn't inherit faction traits. I mean, it's totally nonsensical, there is no reason for that to be the case. They should reconsider that and just make any trait like that faction based instead of Character based(excluding some like Liu Bei's)

Well it's the first time that CA trying to make a traits character-based instead of faction-based, and it could be interesting. Realistically not all sons are like their fathers, some are, while others don't.
    Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Well it's the first time that CA trying to make a traits character-based instead of faction-based, and it could be interesting. Realistically not all sons are like their fathers, some are, while others don't.
    Yeah agree. So there should be Some dynamic system like in previous titles where Sons gain traits a long the way. The problem with that is that i would pick a faction based on it’s traits. For example i’m an infantry Guy so would pick an infantry focused faction/character. Perhaps with some special infantry units attached to it. The problem I have is that my heir could very well be an administrator kind of character. That would mean a different experience for the second half of the game. But not one of my choosing.
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 620Registered Users
    Fheooo said:

The game will lose some of its flavour when all the unique characters are dead and there are no more unique character models - just the generic ones. But I would have thought that traits would pass down to heirs, or at least they would get their own set of traits that could potentially change a factions play style. For instance one leader could be very aggressive and warlike with great cavalry, and then his heir is all about diplomacy and has bonuses there instead.

I have a feeling when it reaches that point, people will start over. I know if I lose someone to auto resolve I will probably load a save...
    LESAMA said:

Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Yeah agree. So there should be Some dynamic system like in previous titles where Sons gain traits a long the way. The problem with that is that i would pick a faction based on it’s traits. For example i’m an infantry Guy so would pick an infantry focused faction/character. Perhaps with some special infantry units attached to it. The problem I have is that my heir could very well be an administrator kind of character. That would mean a different experience for the second half of the game. But not one of my choosing.
    Some randomness can make the game more interesting and players might be able to change a heir.
  • SchepelSchepel Senior Member Posts: 1,413Registered Users
    LESAMA said:

Schepel said:

That doesn't necessarily mean that heirs do not get nice/unique traits. I am reasonably confident that CA is more than capable to figure out how to 'keep' unique traits in some way, or how to replace them with equally interesting ones. It would make little or no sense to introduce flavour that is lost within a few turns.
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Posts: 2,324Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

LESAMA said:

Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Some randomness can make the game more interesting and players might be able to change a heir.
    Yeah, at least it'd give you an incentive to choose another heir or better yet try to have the current leader replaced if his traits are bad enough.

I hope the heir's/new faction rulers traits are somewhat dynamic because I'd find it odd if every heir for a 200 turn game happened to be vanguard classed person.
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game