Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

2 simple questions about Lizardmen...

GerardofthetitanGerardofthetitan Posts: 433Registered Users
I make an example by taking the expectations of a user regarding the upcoming DLC. So the Lord Pack will have only 6 units, not more, as he said. Take into consideration he avoided my questions intentionally.

The questions are:

QUESTION 1:

1. EX: the Lizardmen units in the DLC will be only 3. The missing units that can be those 3 lucky ones are: Troglodon, Razordon, Salamander, Ripperdactyls, Dread Saurian, Engine of Gods, Ark of Sotek and Recolored Skink.
Should the Recolored Skink be 1 of those 3 lucky units?

QUESTION 2:

2. EX: if, for example, Troglodon, Salamander and Razordon have a chance to be those 3 Lizardmen units but this means that Recolored Skink will be in the FLC Blessed unit like Shadow Walkers with Alith Anar or ROR...would you take away 1 of those 3 units (Troglodon, Salamamder, Razordon) and replace it with Recolored Skink even if this means you will not have the unit you have replaced?

RULES

:

1. Do not avoid my questions with other questions.

2. Do not answer to my questions by changing the argument.

3. Do not "beat around the bush".

4. Stay on the Topic.

Comments

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 4,317Registered Users
    No. Skinks are weak, pathetic creatures. Away with them.

Only the biggest and baddest deserve to be in LP. If only three then:

1. Dread Saurian - biiiig. Event those unfortunate, born unable to see their greatness must admit that DS would do wonders sale wise. People want huge dinos!
    2. Salamander - mobile, fast flamethrower. Superb!
    3. Engine Of The Gods - shooting meteors. Greatness incarnate!
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• GerardofthetitanGerardofthetitan Posts: 433Registered Users

No. Skinks are weak, pathetic creatures. Away with them.

Only the biggest and baddest deserve to be in LP. If only three then:

1. Dread Saurian - biiiig. Event those unfortunate, born unable to see their greatness must admit that DS would do wonders sale wise. People want huge dinos!
    2. Salamander - mobile, fast flamethrower. Superb!
    3. Engine Of The Gods - shooting meteors. Greatness incarnate!

Please stay on the topic.

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,201Registered Users

I make an example by taking the expectations of a user regarding the upcoming DLC. So the Lord Pack will have only 6 units, not more, as he said. Take into consideration he avoided my questions intentionally.

The questions are:

QUESTION 1:

1. EX: the Lizardmen units in the DLC will be only 3. The missing units that can be those 3 lucky ones are: Troglodon, Razordon, Salamander, Ripperdactyls, Dread Saurian, Engine of Gods, Ark of Sotek and Recolored Skink.

QUESTION 2:

2. EX: if, for example, Troglodon, Salamander and Razordon have a chance to be those 3 Lizardmen units but this means that Recolored Skink will be in the FLC Blessed unit like Shadow Walkers with Alith Anar or ROR...would you take away 1 of those 3 units (Troglodon, Salamamder, Razordon) and replace it with Recolored Skink even if this means you will not have the unit you have replaced?

RULES

:

4. Stay on the Topic.
    I think it's fair to say a Red Crested Skink would merely be a RoR. As far as I can tell it's just a Skink with better features and a different colour scheme.. ideal for RoR.
  • GodWillTellGodWillTell Posts: 643Registered Users
    edited January 12
    QUESTION 1:

LOL nope.

QUESTION 2:

LOL nope.

#FORGHORGON
  • ScreamimgEnvyScreamimgEnvy Posts: 278Registered Users
    1. No

2. No
    Team Monogods - Team Nurgle

• Boombastek91Boombastek91 Posts: 787Registered Users
    Lol rules.

To OP red crest skink, It gonna be Tehenhauin bond unit or RoR.
    Engine of gods and Dread Saurian too strong if aded.
    Troglodon as non mount option i doubt about it. And how it gonna be better than Ancient stegadon.
    Ark of Sotek can be made similar to mortis engine.
    Salamander razordon and riperdactyl very welcome.
  • LudboneLudbone Posts: 1,055Registered Users
    Q1-Q2 = No.
    Beastmen: where is the love?

• Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 2,907Registered Users
    1. Absolutely not. Maybe as an RoR, Blessed Spawning, or just a general buff and recolor for all skink units for Tehenhauin's faction would suffice.

2. There's nothing among those 6 or so missing units that I'd give up for Red Crested Skinks. If the limit is 3, I'm hoping for Salamanders, Razordons, and Ripperdactyls as they have the most potential to add variety to the LM tactics.

EotG would suffice as a mount option for Tehenhauin and Skink Priests and Ark of Sotek could work as an RoR and if not we're not missing out on much (we've already got 3 different types of Bastilodon).

The Oracle/Troglodon is the best candidate for a new Lord/Hero and if we don't get it we're not missing out on much either; it's basically just a weaker, faster Carnosaur with a bound spell or two.

I'm not a fan of the Dread Saurian. Not because it can't be done but because it'd feel cheap and samey, basically just a money grab. Plus it's FW and those units really haven't been added to TW for races which had 8th edition army books to begin with.
    Keep Grombrindal in KaK, K8P should be 10 slots, Dogs of War should be a horde, DoC should be one race- Change my mind

Give us a Slayer Hero!
  • AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Posts: 4,150Registered Users
    If there is only 3 units Even if I want RCS they should not be added, but in real life, slots dont exist its only budget, and RCS dont cost jack **** so they dont compete with the others for the same ressources.

• AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Posts: 4,150Registered Users

The questions are:

QUESTION 1:

QUESTION 2:

RULES

:

4. Stay on the Topic.
    I think it's fair to say a Red Crested Skink would merely be a RoR. As far as I can tell it's just a Skink with better features and a different colour scheme.. ideal for RoR.
    Nah, they dont fit the ror in terms of lore, its a different spawning, just like chameleon skinks, there is thousands throughout Lustria, they serve under multiple commanders and they are so populous that there is even a ror of red crested skinks

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,053Registered Users
    1 No
    2 No

It is best not to obsess over numbers or "slots". Case in point: Red Crested Skinks. If they are included, some people will complain they are "low effort" and that they took the place of something else, no matter how much or little work goes into them. If CA decided to simply tweak the existing skink model a little and gave it to us as a minor extra, people will be upset that it wasn't a Dread Saurian or a Doyouthinkhesaurus or whatever.

Difficult to see how this LP is going to genuinely impress people and stay in budget. I think expectations are already fever pitch.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,201Registered Users
    Kranox said:

The questions are:

QUESTION 1:

QUESTION 2:

RULES

:

4. Stay on the Topic.
    Nah, they dont fit the ror in terms of lore, its a different spawning, just like chameleon skinks, there is thousands throughout Lustria, they serve under multiple commanders and they are so populous that there is even a ror of red crested skinks
    I think that's what they will use then, makes sense to just use a very specific RoR rather than creating them as a new unit. Would be such a waste.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 2,045Registered Users
    edited January 12
    To directly answer both your questions, no. To both of them.

BUT that's making the assumption there will be three and ONLY three units. And let's not forget about Ripperdactyls, which would make the list of entirely new units go up to four (Trogolodons, Razordons, Salamanders, and Ripperdactyls), two of which share the same skeleton and one of which share the skeleton for an already existing unit (Terradons) The argument for RCS is that they are such an easy-to-make unit that they wouldn't take resources away from other units. Other potential units, like the Ark of Sotek or Engine of the Gods (both of which would be fantastic additions), are also relatively simple reskins that use animations from already existing units.

But my point is, there is no reason that the inclusion of RCS would take the place of another unit unless CA decides they can only have X amount of units for the Lord Pack, which they've never done before seeing as there have been different numbers of units for every Lord Pack so far.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 2,045Registered Users

Kranox said:

The questions are:

QUESTION 1:

QUESTION 2:

RULES

:

4. Stay on the Topic.
    I think that's what they will use then, makes sense to just use a very specific RoR rather than creating them as a new unit. Would be such a waste.
    Why would it be a waste? Creating a whole new unit isn't more work than creating a RoR. And besides, there are THOUSANDS of Red Crested Skinks that fight all around Lustria. Making them just into a RoR and not making a new unit would be like giving the Tattersouls to the Empire but not giving them general Flaggelants.
  • Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Posts: 382Registered Users
    1. Absolutely no.

2. Absolutely no. Keep that shadow clone away from the units list and put it with the Lizardmen FLC or RoR.

Besides i'm completely sure that Skinks with red heads will be one of the new unit and surely 1 or 2 Lizardmen units will be cut out from the DLC, like Salamander and Ripperdactyls. Then i will enjoy to see people's reactions about "Red Skinks Cohort are in but no Salamander and Ripperdactyls?! For **** sake CA, what the **** is this?!".
  • Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Posts: 382Registered Users
    edited January 12

BUT that's making the assumption there will be three and ONLY three units.

This is nothing new. Someone is strongly sure that the Lord Pack will have at very best 6 units, 3 and 3, due to being fair with the other Lord Packs, so it must not have more than Q&C etc. have.
  • Tears_After_HateTears_After_Hate Posts: 143Registered Users
    I'm sure that Skink clones will not be one of the new units simply because this will upset everyone if they will make it in while 1 or 2 or 3 popular and real units will not. ;) Can you imagine the anger and disappointment if Skink clones are in and Salamander + Troglodon + Razordon, or a single one of them, not? CA will be rage bombed and poopstormed for years! :D Naaah, i'm sure CA will not do this mistake.

But who said Lord Pack will have only 6 units because it must not be better than Q&C, k&W? This sounds like biased bullpoop! :D

To answer your questions:

1. No they shouldn't.

2. No i wouldn't
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 14,225Registered Users
    To give context to this @Gerardofthetitan asked me these questions, I didn't answer them because y'know, I have no obligation to read, or answer any comments here, they then threatened me because I didn't answer them.

Anyhoo, the premise of the questions is wrong. CA can add as many units as they like or they don't want to, slots are under no logic a limiting factor of anything. Given slots aren't a thing it means that RCS are a perfect unit to add to the LP because they can come on top of whatever CA add. They're also a big value unit because they enable Skink themed armies.

RCS are really a no brainer add. There's simply no reason not to add them.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,593Registered Users, Moderators
    I don't think anyone, including the person obviously being insinuated by the OP, wants to have Red Crested Skinks replace any of the options in that list.

1) No, RCS should not be one of the three. But they should come as an extra addition, as they easily could given their ease and cheapness of production.

2) Basically the same question, no the RCS should not replace anything. They should come in addition to.

RCS have the potential to offer quite a bit to the roster for minimal effort, so they should be included if possible without removing other options. I think that their actual implementation into the roster should be more along the lines of how Rangers were implemented: ie, easier access for Tenenhuain but still available to other factions. Or, less positively, as a Tenenhuain only unit much like Alith Anar's special Shadow Warrior things. They shouldn't be RoR because they're not, they're a strain of skink not a named individual regiment. They could work as Blessed Skinks though, since that is basically what they are.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
    Canuovea said:

I don't think anyone, including the person obviously being insinuated by the OP, wants to have Red Crested Skinks replace any of the options in that list.

1) No, RCS should not be one of the three. But they should come as an extra addition, as they easily could given their ease and cheapness of production.

2) Basically the same question, no the RCS should not replace anything. They should come in addition to.

RCS have the potential to offer quite a bit to the roster for minimal effort, so they should be included if possible without removing other options. I think that their actual implementation into the roster should be more along the lines of how Rangers were implemented: ie, easier access for Tenenhuain but still available to other factions. Or, less positively, as a Tenenhuain only unit much like Alith Anar's special Shadow Warrior things. They shouldn't be RoR because they're not, they're a strain of skink not a named individual regiment. They could work as Blessed Skinks though, since that is basically what they are.

Why are folk avoiding my name? A comment isn't made any more or less appropriate by saying it in a very slightly vague way. And I'm not voldemort, I have a nose.

Anyway I basically agree with what you've said. The premise here is flawed. That said being a blessed unit would detract from what they are; an enabler or Skink themed armies. They're needed in bunches, not singles.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,593Registered Users, Moderators
    I'd prefer they'd not be Blessed Spawnings as well, but that's better than a RoR.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Posts: 1,495Registered Users

The questions are:

QUESTION 1:

QUESTION 2:

1: I'd love more skinks (the idea of a skink army is one i like), but i feel thats not an option i'd take Salamander and Dread Saurian as 2 of the units included + whatever flying skinks are missing.

2: If Red Crested SKinks brings something unique. Then yes i want them. Otherwise i'll stick with what i responded with in 1:
    Canuovea said:

I'd prefer they'd not be Blessed Spawnings as well, but that's better than a RoR.

This is true, but it's pretty meh either way because it still limits them.

I want to have my Skink LL at the head of my army full of Skink heroes, Dinos, Kroxigors and Red Crested Skinks
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,554Registered Users
    Assuming that someone is holding a gun to CA's collective head and will squeeze the trigger if the LP includes more than 3 units, then my vote goes to Troglodons, Salamanders and Ripperdactyls.

Now that we've answered the question (difference between the Q1 and Q2 isn't substantial enough), let's talk realistically.

All the potential LM units bar the Dread Saurian, Thunderlizard, Arcanodon and Coatl require relatively low effort to implement. Ripperdactyls have a base skeleton in Terradons or possibly Wyverns. Troggys would use a modified Carnosaur skeleton, no different to the dynamic between the Kharibdyss and War Hydra. Salamanders and Razordons do require a brand new skeleton, but share the shape so it's two-for-one. Now that's not to say that animating, texturing and art design is no big deal, ('cause it is), but it does mean that a portion of the work is already done and therefore not affecting the budget. In contrast Red Crested Skinks are such an easy addition that it's something they could ask an intern to do after they get back from the coffee run. In fact I suspect that having them be a basic unit instead of a Blessed Spawning or RoR would require LESS coding then either of the latter would! It's a no effort profit that doesn't effect the effort put into the other LP additions.

Two other things that I feel needs to be addressed. First, we KNOW for certain that the Engine of the Gods is coming, it's the mount option for Tehenhauin on the TT. It's possible that it may only come as that or as unit, but it is coming. Secondly, I think that the Revivification Crystal Bastilodon was put in place as a replacement for the Ark of Sotek. The former is a wholly CA creation and I recall them saying before game release that they were having issues getting one implemented to their liking. Which is weird as you'd just need to make it work like a Mortis Engine with an ability similar to the Tomb Swarm to drop for massive damage. I could be wrong about this though.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer
    Wyvax said:

Assuming that someone is holding a gun to CA's collective head and will squeeze the trigger if the LP includes more than 3 units, then my vote goes to Troglodons, Salamanders and Ripperdactyls.

Now that we've answered the question (difference between the Q1 and Q2 isn't substantial enough), let's talk realistically.

All the potential LM units bar the Dread Saurian, Thunderlizard, Arcanodon and Coatl require relatively low effort to implement. Ripperdactyls have a base skeleton in Terradons or possibly Wyverns. Troggys would use a modified Carnosaur skeleton, no different to the dynamic between the Kharibdyss and War Hydra. Salamanders and Razordons do require a brand new skeleton, but share the shape so it's two-for-one. Now that's not to say that animating, texturing and art design is no big deal, ('cause it is), but it does mean that a portion of the work is already done and therefore not affecting the budget. In contrast Red Crested Skinks are such an easy addition that it's something they could ask an intern to do after they get back from the coffee run. In fact I suspect that having them be a basic unit instead of a Blessed Spawning or RoR would require LESS coding then either of the latter would! It's a no effort profit that doesn't effect the effort put into the other LP additions.

Two other things that I feel needs to be addressed. First, we KNOW for certain that the Engine of the Gods is coming, it's the mount option for Tehenhauin on the TT. It's possible that it may only come as that or as unit, but it is coming. Secondly, I think that the Revivification Crystal Bastilodon was put in place as a replacement for the Ark of Sotek. The former is a wholly CA creation and I recall them saying before game release that they were having issues getting one implemented to their liking. Which is weird as you'd just need to make it work like a Mortis Engine with an ability similar to the Tomb Swarm to drop for massive damage. I could be wrong about this though.

I'm sticking with 3 as that's the most we've seen yet. Any speculation beyond that risks disappointment. And if Salamanders and Razordons sharing a rig is a point in their favor, why would you predict we'd get one and not the other?

The fact that RCS are so easy is why I don't think they should be in the pack. Any fool who knows how to mod could just as easily turn them into a unit; only CA has the ability to do any of the others on the list. Besides, RCS aren't even an Army Book unit (then again neither are Nasty Skulkers).

As far as the EotG, nothing is certain. The only certainties in life are death and taxes. CA could just as easily bungle it up or cut corners, putting Tehenhauin on a bog standard Steg or Ark of Sotek. Just looking at Lokhir or half a dozen other lords we know that TT mount rules aren't set in stone. Hell, even Tehenhauin isn't certain; he's definitely the most sensible and requested option, but he's still an assumption at this point.
    Keep Grombrindal in KaK, K8P should be 10 slots, Dogs of War should be a horde, DoC should be one race- Change my mind

Give us a Slayer Hero!
    edited January 13
    @ben8vtedu In a scenario where the number of units in a LP has a hard limit nobody wants RCS for that very reason. That said that scenario is highly unlikely to represent reality. The reality is budget, not number of units is the limitation.

In a realistic scenario the RCS being cheap and easy is a reason for them, not against them.

@ben8vtedu In a scenario where the number of units in a LP has a hard limit nobody wants RCS for that very reason. That said that scenario is highly unlikely to represent reality. The reality is budget, not number of units is the limitation.

In a realistic scenario the RCS being cheap and easy is a reason for them, not against them.

Them being cheap and easy is a reason for them to be likely, not a reason for me to consider them a quality addition.

Another thing that hasn't been brought up, to my knowledge at least, is that Red Crested Skinks would basically invalidate and replace the Skink Cohorts and/or Skirmishers. Once you unlock them, the latter will be completely defunct. Better I think to just give Tehenhauin combat buffs for Skink units as part of his faction traits. That way the original Skink units stay relevant and the RCS question is more or less answered.

I'm also not saying 3 units is the hard cap, just that I'm not predicting anything beyond that. If I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised but if I'm right I get to do the "I told you so" dance.

Give us a Slayer Hero!
    edited January 13
    If they want to be cheap and easy they'll do a cheap and easy unit anyway. It's not like RCS being unavailable would stop them. If they're cheap and easy then that's an argument against them being cheap and easy.

And Skinks are a T1 unit as is. This is just wanting a T2 variant of them to make late game Skink armies viable.

If RCS come as part of a LP with 6 units then it won't be because there's a limit of 6, it'll simply be because either the budget was reached, or CA decided to be cheap. Either way it wouldn't be them stealing a non existent "slot.
    Post edited by Vanilla_Gorilla on
    ben8vtedu said:

Them being cheap and easy is a reason for them to be likely, not a reason for me to consider them a quality addition.

Another thing that hasn't been brought up, to my knowledge at least, is that Red Crested Skinks would basically invalidate and replace the Skink Cohorts and/or Skirmishers. Once you unlock them, the latter will be completely defunct. Better I think to just give Tehenhauin combat buffs for Skink units as part of his faction traits. That way the original Skink units stay relevant and the RCS question is more or less answered.

I'm also not saying 3 units is the hard cap, just that I'm not predicting anything beyond that. If I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised but if I'm right I get to do the "I told you so" dance.
    If they want to be cheap and easy they'll do a cheap and easy unit anyway. It's not like RCS being unavailable would stop them. If they're cheap and easy then that's an argument against them being cheap and easy, not against RCS.

Those units are defunct anyway, they're a tier 1 unit. RCS are the way to make skink only armies viable late game.
  • JhoDeviloJhoDevilo Posts: 76Registered Users
    I'm stick with absolutely no for both questions.

Regardless, @Tears_After_Hate hit the target.
    The real problem with RCS is if they are added as new unit but other dinos, put a name, are not. Worse if the LP will have just 2 or 3 units, just like the trashy trashy Q&C, G&G and K&W...after 6 or 7 or 12 months of waiting.
    CA will be review bombed, **** stormed and called "lazy asses". Literally "ToO mAnY ChArLEmAgNeS" unstoppable rant all over again.

I highly doubt CA is so stupid and blind to repeat this debacle again.
This discussion has been closed.