Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Your favorite cavalry unit in Warhammer 1&2

Comments

• Otters007Otters007 Posts: 497Registered Users

Reiksguard. They were my first cavalry unit in a Total War game, and they are just a solid unit. Good stats, high charge bonus, high armor, and very cost-effective. They also look amazing and are the elite of the Knightly Orders, tasked with guarding the Emperor and preserving the Empire. People from all over the Empire can join their ranks, so long as they prove their worth and loyalty to the Emperor. They are the Emperor's will made manifest. Now we need Reiksfoot.

But I have to give an honorable mention to Horned Ones, since Lizardmen are my favorite faction and they are one of the best cavalry units in the game right now, even better than Grail units (assuming they aren't in lance formation) and Demigryph Knights (BOTH variants).

They are definitely not better then Demigryph knights with halberds, I just did a unit test that confirms that. However, they push them pretty close.
  • KranoxKranox Posts: 3,528Registered Users

Kranox said:

Otters007 said:

Blood Knights for me. Their performance in both anti-large and anti-infantry roles is outstanding, and they look so damn cool, their blood red armour is awesome.

Oh, and they are vampires riding skeletal steeds. What's not to love?

I really love the rivalry between Blood Knights and Grail knights, GK generally win in those encounters in the lore, but mainly because they are made to fight undead, they have an aura that weakens undead, wich makes GK have the upper hand. They are really close matched in pure strenght tough. Wich I love.

For me its the best rivalry in the lore. I love how BK are also kind of honorable in battle.
    That epic moment when BK and Gk go togetehr to fight chaos in their last stand. Most epic moment of End times :) For ze Lady! Freeeedooooom!
    That was just like Wow, one of the few good moments in the ET
    Kranox Aka [AIMA] Dracklor

• ZerglesZergles Member Posts: 3,011Registered Users
    Centigors. Always Centigors.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 6,121Registered Users
    Graphics: Cold one knights
    Gameplay: Demis
    Lore: Grail knights
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • KranoxKranox Posts: 3,528Registered Users
    Louis_1 said:

Kranox said:

Louis_1 said:

Kranox said:

Louis_1 said:

Kranox said:

Louis_1 said:

Wild Riders! For Kurnous!!

They turn light cav into mince meat and can outrun any heavy cav. They have a very special and unique place among cavalry as they are a bridge between light harass and heavy shock cav.

These guys are just the most ferocious cavalry unit in the game. Who needs armour when you are powered by Kurnous, have magic tattoos and glowing eyes and ride Steeds of Kurnous, immortal spirits of the hunt.

They laugh at the quaint morality and piety of the grail knights, riding down swathes of brettonians and razing their villages with joyful fury before the grail knights even know they've arrived.

Too coward and weak to fight the grail knights, because they know that death would await them.

Coward pointy ears
    It could actually be an interesting fight. Grail knights are powered by the Lady aka Lileath, Wild Riders powered by Kurnous (Lileath's Father). I doubt wild riders are scared of anything though, but yeah in a 1v1 duel a grail knight would win without a doubt, but he'd have to catch the wild rider first. Really there's nothing grail knights could do to stop wild riders.
    They would just hop on Pegasus and catch them. One day or another in a battle wild riders will need to meet Grail knights in combat. Also remember Grail Knights are also one of the fastest Heavy cav, they are not slow by any means, unlike chaos knights
    Depends, in game pegasus knights are faster but lorewise and according to table-top wild riders were faster than pegasus knights. Wild Riders can also draw with royal pegasus knights in game if they can bait a charge to make them land so they can turn around and get their own charge.

Why would wild riders just wait around to meet grails anyway, Wood elves aren't really known for fighting pitched battles or playing fair.

Why are we even having this debate 😂😂

Its getting funny, Grail knights are the superior warrior, but wild riders are deadly, but they just need to make sure not to meet Heavy cav
    Haha I don't know I guess I just like arguing with Bretonnia fans. For ze Lady! (and Kurnous)
    Haha I love this community 😂😂
    Kranox Aka [AIMA] Dracklor

• tyrannustyrannus Posts: 629Registered Users
    Well, it's obviously grail knights. They are THE cavalry unit in both games. Honor and chivalry personified. Though centigors and reiksguard are really cool too.

Believe in humanity!
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 1,986Registered Users
    edited January 12

Graphics: Cold one knights
    Gameplay: Demis
    Lore: Grail knights

so which 1 my friend ;) ?
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • EldrickEldrick Posts: 339Registered Users
    Grail Guardians.

They get stuck in and stay stuck in, for a very long time.

Perfect vigor is king.

Micro, pffff.

With these knights there is only the one glorious charge and then the hard fought and inevitable victory - with chevrons, skills and buffs they are tough and resilient. A perfect mostly cavalry anvil.

Eldrick said:

Grail Guardians.

They get stuck in and stay stuck in, for a very long time.

Perfect vigor is king.

Micro, pffff.

With these knights there is only the one glorious charge and then the hard fought and inevitable victory - with chevrons, skills and buffs they are tough and resilient. A perfect mostly cavalry anvil.

Hail to our king, blessing of the lady is upon thee !!

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
    Louis_1 said:

Wild Riders! For Kurnous!!

They turn light cav into mince meat and can outrun any heavy cav. They have a very special and unique place among cavalry as they are a bridge between light harass and heavy shock cav.

These guys are just the most ferocious cavalry unit in the game. Who needs armour when you are powered by Kurnous, have magic tattoos and glowing eyes and ride Steeds of Kurnous, immortal spirits of the hunt.

They laugh at the quaint morality and piety of the grail knights, riding down swathes of brettonians and razing their villages with joyful fury before the grail knights even know they've arrived.

Very nice !!!!!!!!!

I have to admit, I got a soft spot for the Wild Riders as well. Like you said, they are very special and unique in a way.

Reiksguard. They were my first cavalry unit in a Total War game, and they are just a solid unit. Good stats, high charge bonus, high armor, and very cost-effective. They also look amazing and are the elite of the Knightly Orders, tasked with guarding the Emperor and preserving the Empire. People from all over the Empire can join their ranks, so long as they prove their worth and loyalty to the Emperor. They are the Emperor's will made manifest. Now we need Reiksfoot.

But I have to give an honorable mention to Horned Ones, since Lizardmen are my favorite faction and they are one of the best cavalry units in the game right now, even better than Grail units (assuming they aren't in lance formation) and Demigryph Knights (BOTH variants).

Great choice !!!! A very very glorious and ambitious unit with a lot of prestige.

Hail to the Emperor Karl Franz, King Louen Loencoeur sends his warm greatings from Couronne

• SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 3,647Registered Users
    Flee, inferior beings!

As for why I like Cold One Knights so much I'm not sure what is a valid explanation considering how this is supposed to be about the game's unit-- but we aren't allowed to factor in how good the unit is. So I'm going to assume that it's not really the unit in the game, but rather the unit in the lore and its implementation in the game. And that's why I love the Cold One Knights, they ALWAYS do their job and they're so heavy metal, I just love them. Gameplay wise I hate rampage, but since this is mostly a balance / stats issue I get to ignore that and just say rampaging from a flavor perspective just makes them all the more ferocious :D
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • kelembriborkelembribor Posts: 332Registered Users
    edited January 12
    Dragon Princes of Caledor for me.
    I like them from the lore including the amusing anecdotes about refusing to drop their banner in honor of Phoenix King , also I like their aesthetics.
    In game they are very capable unit, especially the Fireborn regiment.

Dragon Princes of Caledor for me.

Classy, I expected to see them being mentioned earlier ;)

• CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 11,737Registered Users, Moderators
    Dragon Princes are cool and normally I favour Elves and all... but nope. Not even my runner up.

The runner up is the Knights of the Blazing Sun. I love those guys.

But the best? Grail Knights are fun and all... but Grail Guardians are my choice. Its that sword and board.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • Boombastek91Boombastek91 Posts: 787Registered Users
    Blessed Horned ones.
    The strongest Calvary in entire game.
    No rampage, 50 attack at base, high MD, AP. Even Grail knight cant match them.
  • AryndelinAryndelin Junior Member Posts: 1,173Registered Users
    Canuovea said:

Dragon Princes are cool and normally I favour Elves and all... but nope. Not even my runner up.

The runner up is the Knights of the Blazing Sun. I love those guys.

But the best? Grail Knights are fun and all... but Grail Guardians are my choice. Its that sword and board.

I quite like the grail guardians too. They make the entire "all cavalry" army possible due to their tankiness.
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,226Registered Users
    Squig Hoppers, only for the sheer hilarity of watching them go to town on Chosen or Har Ganeth Executioners.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 2,271Registered Users
    I've always been partial to Melee Cav. Cavalry that break into a fight and then absolutely wreck havoc among the crowd. Nothing says I own this field like a blitz from a force that you aren't so much afraid of the cycle, but that they reached you at all.

So logic would dictate that my personal favorite Cav unit would be either the Swords of Chaos (These guys are easily second place) and Horned Ones (Third).

But for my favorite Cav unit I'll have to bend the rules and theorize a bit about a future Cav unit. One that if you played against me on TT you best believe you're running into a unit of at least five.

Skullcrushers of Khorne

If these guys are not the premier Melee Cav unit of the game CA will be doing it wrong. Elite even by the Chaos Knights standards, those Chaos Knights who have proved themselves in Khornes eyes as some of his most fervent are bound to become them. Riding atop a juggernaut of daemonic flesh and chaos tainted bronze, literally nothing can stop these guys. Once they reach you the infernal rider atop is only half the threat, the Juggernaut being a monstrous daemon itself.

When released, it should run into the 2000 gold range. 140 armor easy as it is the best armored Cav unit on TT. Whos charge bonus and speed may not be the best but be capable of fighting Chosen without halberds in a melee and coming out on top. These guys are monoliths that on TT could single handedly shatter a game. Expecting this to be replicated come game 3. Demi-Gryphs and Dragon Princes **** themselves when seeing them. Grail Knights know they're about to meet their lady, a regular Chaos Knight is challenge enough before the daemon steed is brought afield.

Your only recourse when fighting them should be using their mediocre speed for being a cav unit to try and force fights against elite anti large and pressure with cycle charging anti-large. Anything to keep them out of arms reach.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenPosts: 18,195Registered Users
    As I said with the previous thread about favourite unit...Knights of the Realm.
    Cheapish upkeep, even for a low level lord.
    Good charge, brave, numerous enough to be the fronline rather than some petty infantry.
    Enjoy a lot of benefits from techs and lord skills.

All round just a really good unit of cav for any time in your campaign. I admire the Grail knights and they're a much better unit, but there's something to say about easily spammed "rank and file" cavalry. :grin:

Setrus said:

As I said with the previous thread about favourite unit...Knights of the Realm.
    Cheapish upkeep, even for a low level lord.
    Good charge, brave, numerous enough to be the fronline rather than some petty infantry.
    Enjoy a lot of benefits from techs and lord skills.

All round just a really good unit of cav for any time in your campaign. I admire the Grail knights and they're a much better unit, but there's something to say about easily spammed "rank and file" cavalry. :grin:

I can respect that choice my friend 😎

I am doing a Bretonnia campaign again right now and I love the unit as well. Lovely unit and has the right feeling to it. The RoR version is absolutely stunning looking ! The colours are amazing.

I've always been partial to Melee Cav. Cavalry that break into a fight and then absolutely wreck havoc among the crowd. Nothing says I own this field like a blitz from a force that you aren't so much afraid of the cycle, but that they reached you at all.

So logic would dictate that my personal favorite Cav unit would be either the Swords of Chaos (These guys are easily second place) and Horned Ones (Third).

But for my favorite Cav unit I'll have to bend the rules and theorize a bit about a future Cav unit. One that if you played against me on TT you best believe you're running into a unit of at least five.

Skullcrushers of Khorne

If these guys are not the premier Melee Cav unit of the game CA will be doing it wrong. Elite even by the Chaos Knights standards, those Chaos Knights who have proved themselves in Khornes eyes as some of his most fervent are bound to become them. Riding atop a juggernaut of daemonic flesh and chaos tainted bronze, literally nothing can stop these guys. Once they reach you the infernal rider atop is only half the threat, the Juggernaut being a monstrous daemon itself.

When released, it should run into the 2000 gold range. 140 armor easy as it is the best armored Cav unit on TT. Whos charge bonus and speed may not be the best but be capable of fighting Chosen without halberds in a melee and coming out on top. These guys are monoliths that on TT could single handedly shatter a game. Expecting this to be replicated come game 3. Demi-Gryphs and Dragon Princes **** themselves when seeing them. Grail Knights know they're about to meet their lady, a regular Chaos Knight is challenge enough before the daemon steed is brought afield.

Your only recourse when fighting them should be using their mediocre speed for being a cav unit to try and force fights against elite anti large and pressure with cycle charging anti-large. Anything to keep them out of arms reach.

A well written testimony to your favourite not yet in the game cavalry unit. I hope with you that it will come along in game 3 !

Now I do have to ask, even though it was an awesome read (it really was) which is your favourite cavalry unit of right now in the game ;) ?

• Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 2,271Registered Users
    DarkLordD said:

Skullcrushers of Khorne

A well written testimony to your favourite not yet in the game cavalry unit. I hope with you that it will come along in game 3 !

Now I do have to ask, even though it was an awesome read (it really was) which is your favourite cavalry unit of right now in the game ;) ?
    Swords of Chaos.

For all of the reasons I applied to the Juggernauts. Except trade Daemonic Hellsteed of animated bronze with full unit of Chaos Lords, each capable of leading an army in their own right but choosing to vanguard and defend the Everchosen. In game right now, they are by far the best Melee Cav unit. Though appropriately you only get one small unit of them. Set them up at Archaons side and watch them scythe through a frontline as no one else can.
  • Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Posts: 952Registered Users
    edited January 13

Skullcrushers of Khorne

i beg your pardon, Grail Knights would come on top, by the Lady! But i assume these savages would put up a good fight ;)
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Posts: 186Registered Users
    No love for ancient resurrected warriors adorned in gold, riding serpent constructs?.. Necropolis Knights <3
  • englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,786Registered Users
    I love Varghulf, ever since they introduced this monster in 7th Edition, great miniature and artwork. Generally always been masive Vampire Counts fan, and anything that they got in unit roster. Vargheist would be cool if not for that Mohawk thingy would rather make him bald without any hairs.

As Dracula (1992) fan I highly approve design

Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein

Skullcrushers of Khorne

i beg your pardon, Grail Knights would come on top, by the Lady! But i assume these savages would put up a good fight ;)
    Bless you !

I love Varghulf, ever since they introduced this monster in 7th Edition, great miniature and artwork. Generally always been masive Vampire Counts fan, and anything that they got in unit roster. Vargheist would be cool if not for that Mohawk thingy would rather make him bald without any hairs.

As Dracula (1992) fan I highly approve design

How much I do agree with you, it is not seen as a cavalry unit ;) ! I am sorry, but I need to re-ask you, which is your favorite cavalry unit and why ?

• ZwirbaumZwirbaum Senior Member Posts: 354Registered Users
    Black Knights.

I think it comes down to the fact that 6ed was my favourite when it comes to the tabletop, and I still remember the pain train aka Blood Dragon Vampire Lord + big Black Knight block just running over anything that they come into the contact.

Killing Blow, cool looks, tough and strong as heck (S, T = 4), pretty much all around heavy hitter unit at the reasonable price. Also, I wasn't fan of 7ed+ decision to introduce Blood Knights, as the entire vampiric cavalry unit.

• tanspan88tanspan88 Posts: 198Registered Users
    Squig hoppers easily. You could probs bring along 3-4 units of them for the price of a grail knight unit. I like to think my little squiggies lime to work for their treats - like eating pistachios.