Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Your favorite cavalry unit in Warhammer 1&2

13»

Comments

• Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 2,865Registered Users

I've always been partial to Melee Cav. Cavalry that break into a fight and then absolutely wreck havoc among the crowd. Nothing says I own this field like a blitz from a force that you aren't so much afraid of the cycle, but that they reached you at all.

So logic would dictate that my personal favorite Cav unit would be either the Swords of Chaos (These guys are easily second place) and Horned Ones (Third).

But for my favorite Cav unit I'll have to bend the rules and theorize a bit about a future Cav unit. One that if you played against me on TT you best believe you're running into a unit of at least five.

Skullcrushers of Khorne

If these guys are not the premier Melee Cav unit of the game CA will be doing it wrong. Elite even by the Chaos Knights standards, those Chaos Knights who have proved themselves in Khornes eyes as some of his most fervent are bound to become them. Riding atop a juggernaut of daemonic flesh and chaos tainted bronze, literally nothing can stop these guys. Once they reach you the infernal rider atop is only half the threat, the Juggernaut being a monstrous daemon itself.

When released, it should run into the 2000 gold range. 140 armor easy as it is the best armored Cav unit on TT. Whos charge bonus and speed may not be the best but be capable of fighting Chosen without halberds in a melee and coming out on top. These guys are monoliths that on TT could single handedly shatter a game. Expecting this to be replicated come game 3. Demi-Gryphs and Dragon Princes **** themselves when seeing them. Grail Knights know they're about to meet their lady, a regular Chaos Knight is challenge enough before the daemon steed is brought afield.

Your only recourse when fighting them should be using their mediocre speed for being a cav unit to try and force fights against elite anti large and pressure with cycle charging anti-large. Anything to keep them out of arms reach.

i beg your pardon, Grail Knights would come on top, by the Lady! But i assume these savages would put up a good fight ;)
    Whatever helps you sleep at night. No escape from Chaos my friend, it marks us all.
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Posts: 632Registered Users
    I'm gonna say Hex Wraiths.

They're fast which makes them great for running down almost anything (for this reason I also love warhounds.

They are etherial which allows me to start harassing flanks while my front line is still marching up the middle. I can even risk a frontal charge on anti large if I desperately need to block a unit from getting to my blood knights. Or temporarily lock them down while I manouver some infantry over to replace them.

I have RSI and can't micromanage well so having a sturdy cav unit I can throw at something and leave for a bit is very useful.

I will often send them in first on the most dangerous unit on a flank to draw attention while my blood knights get into a better position.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 2,071Registered Users
    Otters007 said:

Reiksguard. They were my first cavalry unit in a Total War game, and they are just a solid unit. Good stats, high charge bonus, high armor, and very cost-effective. They also look amazing and are the elite of the Knightly Orders, tasked with guarding the Emperor and preserving the Empire. People from all over the Empire can join their ranks, so long as they prove their worth and loyalty to the Emperor. They are the Emperor's will made manifest. Now we need Reiksfoot.

But I have to give an honorable mention to Horned Ones, since Lizardmen are my favorite faction and they are one of the best cavalry units in the game right now, even better than Grail units (assuming they aren't in lance formation) and Demigryph Knights (BOTH variants).

They are definitely not better then Demigryph knights with halberds, I just did a unit test that confirms that. However, they push them pretty close.
    I've tested it myself and Horned Ones do win part of the time. "On par with demis" would be a better term.
    The advantage that horned ones have over demis is that horned ones can kill anything with the same efficacy. While demis with halberds only win most of the time against them because that's specifically the target they want to be fighting. Throw a Horned One cav into melee with pretty much anything and its going to send out a world of hurt before it goes down guaranteed.
  • AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Posts: 4,308Registered Users

The advantage that horned ones have over demis is that horned ones can kill anything with the same efficacy. While demis with halberds only win most of the time against them because that's specifically the target they want to be fighting. Throw a Horned One cav into melee with pretty much anything and its going to send out a world of hurt before it goes down guaranteed.

Yeah Horned ones are a suprisingly **** powerfull Cav unit since their buffs, they have become a stapple for my Lizardmen builds, really underated.

Kranox said:

Yeah Horned ones are a suprisingly **** powerfull Cav unit since their buffs, they have become a stapple for my Lizardmen builds, really underated.
    Horned Ones really just got a shift into what they should have already been. Melee Cav. They lost a bunch of their charge bonus to gain raw strength in a fight, so stats wise not really a buff. But it helps with their rampage. Also means cycle charging is optional. Hell you can replace Saurus Warriors with these guys as a much quicker much burstier front line. Albiet somewhat less durable.

The real winners of the Lizard Cav buff were the Cold Ones Riders though. These guys got an absolute metric ton of stat bumps in exchange for gaining rampage, but were also shifted into the Melee Cav role like Horned Ones. Horned Ones might be better still, but Cold One Riders are one of the most cost efficient cav options in game right now. Your opponent must pay more to kill them than you did to field them, and will always take too much damage in the fight doing so. I was actually calling for the change from psuedo shock cav to definitive Melee Cav leading up to the patch that did it. Some small part of me was shouting "I **** called it" when they patched Lizard Cav to be just that.
  • Lin_HuichiLin_Huichi Posts: 199Registered Users
    Wild riders. With Orions improved buffs for them, going a cav heavy army as Wood elves is hugely rewarding, especially since it is the last thing you would expect from the tree huggers.

Add a spellsinger of life for more armour, weapon strength and healing, and Wild riders become dangerous shock cav that can kick butt in melee too. 54% charge bonus from the horn is no joke.
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Posts: 1,179Registered Users

Wild riders. With Orions improved buffs for them, going a cav heavy army as Wood elves is hugely rewarding, especially since it is the last thing you would expect from the tree huggers.

Add a spellsinger of life for more armour, weapon strength and healing, and Wild riders become dangerous shock cav that can kick butt in melee too. 54% charge bonus from the horn is no joke.

yeah they are a lot of fun, its too bad that most armies just in their castles so you have to seige them making wild rider armies not so useful.