Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

4 Chaos Dwarfs LL's, yes but who?

GollummypreciousGollummyprecious Posts: 329Registered Users
edited January 17 in General Discussion
It is simple, the Chaos Dwarf character list is moderate on LL's, yet i was very undecided on who CA would pick, the main reason is that Chaos Dwarfs characters are concentrated all in the Darklands, so you get to know everyone quickly.

The most important characters are:

-Astragoth Iron-Hand: The Main leader

-Ghorth The Cruel: The Main Caster

-Drazoath The Ashen: The "Total Package" Hybrid Lord.

So it leaves the fourth slot up for the secondary characters:

-Rykarth The Unbreakable: Captain of the Immortals. Big Bruiser with a fat Axe.

-Hothgar the Renegade: Is a Deamonsmith, is a wanderer, so can start anywhere and he devised the Doom Engines, sort of Steam/Deamonic magic powering Siege Towers/Tanks created to smash walls and landing the troops on the ruins...

-Gorduz Backstabber: A Hobgobelin Chieftain, very fast with a focus on GS.

-Zhatan The Black: Commander of the Tower of Zharr, and a master slaver. Big bruiser with a mighty Hammer tho.

Personnally, i don't know who to pick between these four, who would you pick between those as a fourth Chaos Dwarf LL ?
Sanity is a curse, madness offers the only freedom...

Comments

• 39821739175248623982173917524862 Posts: 323Registered Users
    Zhatan, who will probably be the Skarsnik/Tehenhauin with buffs to slave units.
    I don't think they'll use the hobgoblin, as a race pack that introduces them is still a possibility, along with a Greenskin rework to go with them.
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Posts: 2,546Registered Users
    Gorduz Backstabber Just because I want at least one hobgoblin playstyle. No other reason really.
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game
  • KranoxKranox Posts: 3,527Registered Users
    Hummm Emo Thorgrim would be nice
    Kranox Aka [AIMA] Dracklor

• RikisRikis Posts: 697Registered Users
    edited January 18

Gorduz Backstabber Just because I want at least one hobgoblin playstyle. No other reason really.

Unless we see a vamp coast dlc style hobgoblin khanate faction built from the ground up by CA, I'll agree with the Backstabber.

Although I'd rather see the Khanate!
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Posts: 2,815Registered Users
    Rykarth the Unbreakable.
  • ConradToskanConradToskan Posts: 129Registered Users
    Rikis said:

Me too! Long live the Hobgoblin Khans! May their deeds be cruel and their hordes without number!
  • mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 517Registered Users
    Was there a 8th edition chaos dwarfs army book? What will be their main source?
    Rikis said:

Unless we see a vamp coast dlc style hobgoblin khanate faction built from the ground up by CA, I'll agree with the Backstabber.

Is there really a viable roster with just the hobgoblins though?

Or could a good one be made? I think there could be, but just asking since I'm not a huge chaos dwarf knowledge person.

Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Let the Games Begin!
  • MaksboMaksbo Posts: 223Registered Users

Was there a 8th edition chaos dwarfs army book? What will be their main source?

The Forgeworld book Tamurkhan. And yes, it was part of 8th edition
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 8,703Registered Users
    I rather hope we get the proper Chaos Dwarf hats and not only the infernal legion
    Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman!

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • RikisRikis Posts: 697Registered Users

Rikis said:

Or could a good one be made? I think there could be, but just asking since I'm not a huge chaos dwarf knowledge person.

Except for some lore bits I dont think that there is anymore about the Khanate. That being said, if CA is creative they could make something cool with the idea.
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Rikis said:

Rikis said:

Except for some lore bits I dont think that there is anymore about the Khanate. That being said, if CA is creative they could make something cool with the idea.
    One point to mention is that Hobgobbos are visibly larger and nastier than typical gobbos. So in order to make their schtick of wolf-riding distinct from the regular hill goblins, do the same thing with their mounts. In other words make 'em full blown dire wolves. With enough infantry and cavalry variation (which shouldn't be any harder than what they did with the zombie deckhands) I'm sure that a little dipping into the Monstrous Arcanum, supplements and CA originals we could have a complete faction. They've even got at least three named characters.

Alternatively they could combine them with the Gnoblars which has a substantial list. But that really shouldn't happen, the themes behind them clash big time and I'd much rather see the ludicrous army of Murder Muppets (as @Fungushound once eloquently put it) receive their own separate DLC treatment.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 5,488Registered Users
    There's a bunch of lore bits for Hobgoblins, yes. Plenty of descriptions. They're a mongol analogue -- which is CA's friggin' specialty. It'd be child's play to make a good Hobgoblin empire.

The reason people don't know much about hobgoblins is because most of them don't look back FAR enough. Hobgoblins predate Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs creation wise, they were just never made a major faction. What most people know is the Hobgoblin retcon that happened when the Chaos Dwarfs were made - which added Hobgoblin slaves to Chaos Dwarfs and actually added some more Hobgoblin lore to boot.

The Hobgoblin Empire is a large confederation of Hobgoblins that fills the lands from the west dark lands to the bastion of cathay. They make war with everyone on those plains, including tons of chaos-marauders-on-horseback types, the ogres, cathay, ind, greenskins, chaos dwarfs, skaven... everyone. They even attack the world's edge mountains sometimes, and have ravaged slightly into the old world (usually they get tied up by Dwarfs and Greenskins).

Hobgoblin tribes often serve as mercenaries for more or less everyone (and betray more or less everyone) as well - as such, there are DoW hobgoblins :-P.

The reason I think they will actually get a faction in this series is because a) they reside partially in the dark lands and are important there -- mind you, that's the Hobgoblin Empire that's important there, not just the chaos dwarf slaves/mercs; and b) because they were one of the very first easter eggs in game one - you can get hobgoblin raids and what not as a Greenskins player.

CA has made a habit of making easter eggs come true in this series... Including the damned Vampire Coast and Norsca.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 1,802Registered Users
    See, Chaos Dwarves are one of the ones that can suffer from few factions, and fewer locations unless they invent reasons for people go out and about. Other than Zhatan, so I think he might just be for no more reason than location.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 12,111Registered Users
    Lets make one up because reasons. Nah, that's a bad idea.

I'll go with Hothgar, he sounds like a lad.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Posts: 1,382Registered Users
    edited January 18
    Wyvax said:

Rikis said:

Rikis said:

One point to mention is that Hobgobbos are visibly larger and nastier than typical gobbos. So in order to make their schtick of wolf-riding distinct from the regular hill goblins, do the same thing with their mounts. In other words make 'em full blown dire wolves. With enough infantry and cavalry variation (which shouldn't be any harder than what they did with the zombie deckhands) I'm sure that a little dipping into the Monstrous Arcanum, supplements and CA originals we could have a complete faction. They've even got at least three named characters.

Alternatively they could combine them with the Gnoblars which has a substantial list. But that really shouldn't happen, the themes behind them clash big time and I'd much rather see the ludicrous army of Murder Muppets (as @Fungushound once eloquently put it) receive their own separate DLC treatment.
    DID SOMEONE MENTION GNOBLARS??!!

Yeah I would prefer to keep the Gnoblars and Hobgoblins separated myself. I don't think anyone would really be happy about mashing those two together. I would rather have 2 extra Greenskin factions!

As far as a Hobgoblin army goes, I think it isn't too unlikely. Basically just make them Bretonnia 2: Gobbo Boogaloo and I would definitely play them. I think the game can have 2 cavalry focused factions going on. The biggest issue with their army list would be that they don't have much that isn't Hobgoblin or Hobgoblin with Wolf and even with a bunch of weapon variants they would need to add more. They could maybe steal the Dreadmaw or Basilisk for themselves. i believe there are some lore snippets about giant scorpions and mantises around areas the Hobgobbos live in but I need to do some lore digging. The Rogue Idol probably wouldn't go well with a hyper mobile faction.

Honestly, the Hobgoblins seem kinda like a good FLC candidate. Make a couple different cavalry units(with a weapon variant or two) and some infantry/unmounted archers, maybe pull a Deathshriek/Frost Wyrm and make a "Steppe Wyvern" and you could have a fairly easy to make faction.

*mumbles something about dire wolves not being much bigger than a normal wolf*
    edited January 18
    Nyxilis said:

See, Chaos Dwarves are one of the ones that can suffer from few factions, and fewer locations unless they invent reasons for people go out and about. Other than Zhatan, so I think he might just be for no more reason than location.

different starts due to randomness are possible, I mean we got Skarsnik the Warlord of eight peaks who starts no where near eight peaks :lol:

And CA original characters.

So, who knows honestly.
    They'll always be able to find a reason for something.
    I'm just still wondering on how a hobgoblin faction/army would work.
    Seems very low morale. Not full of elite due to it being hobgoblin, but I don't know much about them.

Let the Games Begin!
    Rikis said:

Rikis said:

Hmmm, quite a shame.
    It seems interesting enough.
    You are right though with the creativity of CA however, anything can happen I suppose :smile:

on an on topic side note. If we cannot for any reason possible have Gorduz Backstabber due to a hobgoblin khanate.
    I choose Hothgar the Renegade.
    Mostly because of him being a daemon smith, which I perceive as making him a little diverse compared to the other 3.

Let the Games Begin!
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 1,022Registered Users
    edited January 18
    So, I think there are a few things to take into account when picking your Legendary Lords:
    1. Variety: You not only want a mix of caster lords and combat lords, but you want diversity in the different kinds of caster and combat lords. Consider how different two caster lords, like Alarielle and Teclis are from one another, or how different two combat lords like Alith Anar and Tyrion are from one another.
    2. Representing the faction: Many named characters represent a specific stereotype or thematic characteristic of their given faction. For example, the Empire is known for its Sigmarite religion, its Colleges of Magic, and the stalwart bravery of its normal human soldiers. Volkmar, Gelt, and Franz all represent these aspects of their faction's culture and institutions.
    3. Unit theming: Many LLs are also associated with certain sub-groups of units within their faction, providing buffs to those units and encouraging the creation of themed armies. Skarsnik encourages goblin-heavy armies, Durthu encourages forest spirit armies, Kroq-Gar encourages Saurus heavy armies, etc. This isn't true for every LL, but it's a common feature across factions.
    Now, let's consider the Chaos Dwarfs. What lords offer the most variety in terms of playstyle, which lords best represent a specific aspect of their culture and flavor, and do any of them have specific units they can be themed with?

The first count is a bit tricky as all three of the most important characters mentioned are named versions of the generic Chaos Dwarf lord, the Sorcerer-Prophet. All three are casters, albeit one has more of a melee focus, being the leader of their elite infantry. So we have... two pure casters and a hybrid. Not great for variety so far. The other named characters are either more Sorcerer-Prophets or named version of Chaos Dwarf heroes. CA promoting named heroes to LL status isn't unheard of. Given we don't have a pure combat lord so far one of those would make sense. That leaves us with Zhatan, Rykarth, and Gorduz. Of these three my pick is Rykarth. Zhatan is subordinate to Ghorth and would be unlikely to lead his own faction, Gorduz leading a Chaos Dwarf faction would be a bit out of place as he is technically a slave. Rykarth is his own man, a pure melee lord.

Now, representation. What are the main aspects of the Chaos Dwarfs? Well, like normal dwarfs they're hardy warriors. Rykarth covers that. Unlike their fellow dwarfs they have embraced magic, which has twisted them into monstrosities. Astragoth best exemplifies that. Like the dwarfs they are excellent engineers... but have twisted that too, creating terrifying war machines fused with bound daemons. And, finally, their empire is held up by vast Greenskin slave armies. Now, the first two aspects are covered by lords who represent them quite well. The daemonsmith angle is best exemplified by Hothgar, while the Greenskin slave angle is best shown in Gorduz... but as I said earlier a Hobgoblin slave leading a Chaos Dwarf faction is a bit out of place. Zhatan could also fill in the slave master angle, but he's sort of a package deal with Ghorth

Finally, unit theming. Drazhoath jumps out as he is explicitly associated with Chaos Dwarf infantry. Gorduz makes the most sense to be associated with any Hobgoblin or Greenskin slave units... but the same issue previously mentioned applies. The Chaos Dwarf roster prominently features artillery and war machines, in which case Hothgar makes a lot of sense although, given Astragoth is basically half machine himself at this point, and is more important, this should probably go to him. However, Astragoth also rides a Bale Taurus, has no explicit association with war machines beyond what any Sorcerer-Prophet would, and the many monster units in the army roster don't have anyone to represent them.

So I guess my final answer would be:
    • Astragoth, a pure caster lord who represents the monsters the Chaos Dwarfs have become, with bonuses to monsters.
    • Rykarth, a pure melee lord who represents the might of the Chaos Dwarf warriors, with bonuses to lower tier Chaos Dwarf infantry like Chaos dwarf Warriors and Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses.
    • Hothgar, to represent the infernal machinery that powers the Chaos Dwarf empire, with bonuses to war machine units. Maybe give him an Iron Daemon as a mount and make him a more ranged combat lord.
    • Drazoath as the hybrid caster/melee lord, who represents the fusion of traditional dwarfen strength and and insane sorcery, with bonuses to elite infantry like the Infernal Guard and Ironsworn.
    Sorry about Ghorth but I don't see a good way to distinguish him from Astragoth in playstyle (pure caster lord) or in thematics (ruthless Sorcerer-Prophet). I suppose you could have Ghorth instead of Astragoth, but that'd be like having the Empire without Franz. I was tempted to say Zhatan instead of Rykarth as the melee only lord, with bonuses to Greenskin slave units, but it didn't make sense to include him without Ghorth.
    Post edited by Draculasaurus on

I rather hope we get the proper Chaos Dwarf hats and not only the infernal legion

Hold up....

These right?

Let the Games Begin!
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,224Registered Users

Wyvax said:

Rikis said:

Rikis said:

DID SOMEONE MENTION GNOBLARS??!!

Yeah I would prefer to keep the Gnoblars and Hobgoblins separated myself. I don't think anyone would really be happy about mashing those two together. I would rather have 2 extra Greenskin factions!

As far as a Hobgoblin army goes, I think it isn't too unlikely. Basically just make them Bretonnia 2: Gobbo Boogaloo and I would definitely play them. I think the game can have 2 cavalry focused factions going on. The biggest issue with their army list would be that they don't have much that isn't Hobgoblin or Hobgoblin with Wolf and even with a bunch of weapon variants they would need to add more. They could maybe steal the Dreadmaw or Basilisk for themselves. i believe there are some lore snippets about giant scorpions and mantises around areas the Hobgobbos live in but I need to do some lore digging. The Rogue Idol probably wouldn't go well with a hyper mobile faction.

Honestly, the Hobgoblins seem kinda like a good FLC candidate. Make a couple different cavalry units(with a weapon variant or two) and some infantry/unmounted archers, maybe pull a Deathshriek/Frost Wyrm and make a "Steppe Wyvern" and you could have a fairly easy to make faction.

*mumbles something about dire wolves not being much bigger than a normal wolf*
    Fantasy dire wolves. More Epicyon haydeni than Canis dirus.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 2,563Registered Users

The Hellcannon crew are a good sign, though that's more because they're based on the miniatures. I imagine the troops from infernal legion will look like those minis and others will follow the old style.

As for the LLs, Astragoth and Drazhoath are the obvious picks for me. The rest are up in the air as most of them owe allegiance to Zharr Nagrund so they'd have to be spread out. Gorduz Backstabber would be a neat Skarsnik-esque faction with access only to Hobgoblin units. I think a Bull Centaur lord would be really cool but unfortunately the only GW official named character is a product of AoS.
    Keep Grombrindal in KaK, K8P should be 10 slots, Dogs of War should be a horde, DoC should be one race- Change my mind

Give us a Slayer Hero!
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 1,687Registered Users
    Rykarth because of his lore.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 910Registered Users
    I really do not see the scenario of chaos dwarves taking orders from a hobgoblin.

Therefore I think all the characters are going to be the usual warlord and deaemonsmiths and perhaps that bull centaur lord has some chance of being in.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Posts: 1,382Registered Users

I really do not see the scenario of chaos dwarves taking orders from a hobgoblin.

Therefore I think all the characters are going to be the usual warlord and deaemonsmiths and perhaps that bull centaur lord has some chance of being in.

I thought the named Bull Centaur was AoS?
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Definitely no Hobgobln lords for Dawi Zharr. Make them a separate race.

I'd go for Hothgar as 4th LL since the is the most unique of the candidates.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 1,022Registered Users
    edited January 18
    Enforest said:

Definitely no Hobgobln lords for Dawi Zharr. Make them a separate race.

I'd go for Hothgar as 4th LL since the is the most unique of the candidates.

He's also the best pick for a far-flung start location outside the traditional teritory of the race, and there's usually at least one of those.
    Post edited by Draculasaurus on
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 5,488Registered Users
    edited January 18

Well, yes and no.

Hobgoblins within the Chaos Dwarf holdings are all either slaves, slave task-masters, or mercenaries.

That said, Chaos Dwarfs are remarkably open to working with and even training non Chaos Dwarfs. They're actually, in a weird, twisted way, sort of egalitarian. If you have the skills, they will respect you (as far as a Chaos Dwarf respects anyone). Remember that these are Dwarfs were were cut off, isolated, abandoned, and reduced to desperation of a sort where they made a deal with a lesser chaos god to survive. These dudes are survivors.

That said, if a Hobgoblin mercenary showed enough tactical/strategic acumen... there's actually a decent chance that Chaos Dwarfs *would* take orders from him, so long as he was of course serving their purposes and one of their leaders told them to.

But making one a legendary lord for the faction? Hell, no. Giving one the Alastair treatment? Sure... granted... that should also not be done because it would cheapen Alastair, and frankly that was one of the coolest things CA has done (along with that one Roman General Face in Rome 2), and it should be left to shine alone in this series.

TL;DR: Chaos Dwarfs are actually complex fellows and more open in some ways than regular dwarfs believe it or not, and might take orders from a Hobgobbo in the right scenario, but would never call one their master.

Edit: fun note, Hobgoblins, even when slaves, are always favored slaves to every other race of slave.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Posts: 1,990Registered Users
    Astragoth Iron-Hand

Faction leader and "pure" caster lord.

Zhatan the Black

Melee Support General

Drazoath The Ashen

Hybrid Lord

Shar'tor The Executioner

Cavalry General
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

• DarthmahelDarthmahel Posts: 68Registered Users
    Hobgoblins I can see being the low tier troops of Chaos Dwarves. Being the tier 1 and 2 Infantry while the Chaos Dwarves themselves are tiers 3 and up. At most I feel we'll get them with Chaos Dwarves and not on their own. Especially with how they're despised by other Greenskins