Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Mazdamundi spell selection

AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Registered Users Posts: 4,718
Hello guys and girls,

So this thing has bothered me since release of warhammer 2. Mazdamundi is the most powerfull Living Slann, One of the most powerfull casters in the warhammer universe and surely the most powerfull that is currently available.

Ok so this mage who knows pretty much every lores of magic, has no more spells than Gelt or Ghorst......... ........ ...........

he has his 2 bound spells wich are nice, but Why does he has acces to so few spells, its completely stupid when Mannfred has acces to 2 whole lores of magic. His spell selection is good, but he lacks any cheap damage spells. HE should srly have access to as much spells as manny.

him, teclis and Morathi should too.

I know this has been discussed before, but since they are working on LM in the next DLC, the files are open to work on his spell choices.

I think it would just do justice, price would go up, so balance is good. With the probable addition of Nagash, since they are pretty much on equal footing, I dont want big N to be weaker than **** Mannfred...

Comments

• Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,377
    Maz needs more spell options, at least one from each main lore of magic and one from high. That's, what? Nine spells, plus his unique bound spell. Base price wouldn't need to be changed, but he would obviously cost more if you bring more spells.
  • tanspan88tanspan88 Registered Users Posts: 201
    I find it awkward having multiple lores. Id rather he have a selection across various lores. There’s a mod out that lets him choose his own spells: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1606974310&searchtext=

The best mechanic of demonstrating overall spell mastery is Teclis having all the passives, so whenever he casts a spell all the passives fire off giving huge support. Shame his spell selection is a bit meh
  • AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Registered Users Posts: 4,718
    tanspan88 said:

I find it awkward having multiple lores. Id rather he have a selection across various lores. There’s a mod out that lets him choose his own spells: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1606974310&searchtext=

The best mechanic of demonstrating overall spell mastery is Teclis having all the passives, so whenever he casts a spell all the passives fire off giving huge support. Shame his spell selection is a bit meh

Yeah thats kinda nice, but idk, CA hasnt done anything like that before.

What I would like is to have around 12 spells, of Mixed, High, Light, Heavens, life

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,684
    I feel like Mannfred has better spell selection than most caster lords, lol.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member Registered Users Posts: 1,412
    Kranox said:

Hello guys and girls,

So this thing has bothered me since release of warhammer 2. Mazdamundi is the most powerfull Living Slann, One of the most powerfull casters in the warhammer universe and surely the most powerfull that is currently available.

Ok so this mage who knows pretty much every lores of magic, has no more spells than Gelt or Ghorst......... ........ ...........

he has his 2 bound spells wich are nice, but Why does he has acces to so few spells, its completely stupid when Mannfred has acces to 2 whole lores of magic. His spell selection is good, but he lacks any cheap damage spells. HE should srly have access to as much spells as manny.

I know this has been discussed before, but since they are working on LM in the next DLC, the files are open to work on his spell choices.

I think it would just do justice, price would go up, so balance is good. With the probable addition of Nagash, since they are pretty much on equal footing, I dont want big N to be weaker than **** Mannfred...

Why would Mazd be more powerful in Total War than he was in Warhammer? In Table Top he had access to 1 lore at a time and was a loremaster of that lore. Mannfred on the other hand had Lore of Vampires and Lore of Death, with loremaster in both. Nagash had 9 spells chosen from 5 lores (Death, Light, Nehekhara, Vampires and Undeath).
  • SaitohSaitoh Registered Users Posts: 383
    Itharus said:

Just having lore of vampires is enough to say that. Necrarchs are suffering from the fact that base lore of vampires is so good most of the time replacing something with a spell from another lore just makes the list worse. You'd have to be pretty dense to willingly trade winds of death for a **** vortex spell.
  • steam_165171714789pPAEKOHsteam_165171714789pPAEKOH Registered Users Posts: 855
    There has to be a limitation to the number of spells a character can have, even a legendary lord who happens to be the greatest caster in the world. It's not like CA has ever given any other caster lords multiple lores worth of spells. Like some other faction that they also have given 57 different named legendary lords and 30 different types of unnamed lords plus multiple different types of hero units. Or a faction that has gotten multiple game updates for both their campaign and their roster.

Stop asking for CA to be inconsistent. Limitations need to be adhered to.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,684
    Endikur, you seem to not understand that Morathi is like THE original sorceress... you know Nagash? He learned stuff after torturing her pupils.

And Mazdamundi is older than she is. He's second generation Slann I think? The Old Ones were still around back then.

Some characters warrant an inconsistency in power.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 5,063
    More isn't better.

Mannfred has the widest selection of spells but far worse winds reserves, unique skills, winds cost, recharge time etc. He has all these spells yet will hardly have much greater impact than a normal caster unless he stays in melee with his relic item. Hes bouyed by the Lore of Vampires being a fairly strong lore.

The hybrid casters of TWW2 generally have a stacked up spell list that only covers the available spell slots, but far better ways of making use of them.

Teclis has access to the passives of every single lore that trigger every time he casts, has a bottomless reserve pool, and one of the best bound spells in game. His selection of spells covers a key spell from a huge number of lores to round out his utility in battle. There isn't anything he really cant do and seriously benefit his army through passives doing it. I'd argue the guy has more options than Mannfred through less spells even.

Morathi is a winds of magic battery. Able to throw down basic magic quicker and cheaper than the rest, and with a specialization in a winds generating spell. Even still, between her passive skill auras and her seriously dangerous magic shes a debuff and crowd control machine. She can zero out all but the heaviest armored infantries armor values alongside MA, MD, and LDS. She's crippling to fight against, and can keep supplying other sorceresses with magic so they can throw out some additional magical punishment right next to her. The only reason that people complain about her is she isn't the best damage dealer. But damage spells are significantly less useful than a well placed debuff or buff in my experience.

And now the titular Mazdamaundi. Between just his two bound spells the guy can flat line half an army, with a little luck. He's got net allowing him to ensure banishment at least somewhat lands, hes got powerful army buff and even healing spells, shielding passive and skill to net everyone near and on the field and absolutely ridiculous ward save, and he's easily one of the most dangerous mage lords in combat. His special skills offer him every advantage in the world, from magic resist to winds pool, to even regeneration. The guy elevates his armies already high durability to an obscene level. If you underestimate his bound spells, can crush an opposing army.

TLDR: If Teclis can cause a lot of damage with his spell selection, than Morathi can debuff your army into non-existence, and Mazdamundi can buff his powerful army to ridiculous levels. Each spell selection has a purpose. Before their special skills kick in.

All three of these guys I would take over Mannfred in a heartbeat. Mannfreds wide selection of spells quickly becomes little more than a skill point dump as you use barely half of them. Options taking precedence over effeciency. And I am not about that life. Give me a caster whos got a clearly defined purpose with their hybrid list any day. They get better supporting skills to create that intent.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,662
    I downloaded this yesterday. It makes it a little more customizable. Personally I don't like Mazda's spell selection (not Teclis' either).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1606974310
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 5,601
    endikux said:

There has to be a limitation to the number of spells a character can have, even a legendary lord who happens to be the greatest caster in the world. It's not like CA has ever given any other caster lords multiple lores worth of spells. Like some other faction that they also have given 57 different named legendary lords and 30 different types of unnamed lords plus multiple different types of hero units. Or a faction that has gotten multiple game updates for both their campaign and their roster.

At first i thought you were serious, went into rampage, then read again, realized you were bashing CA and loled.

"And what if we made the WE and BM missing lords VAMPIRES! ?!?1!? Wouldn't that be AWESOME? And make those ratmen and lizardmen into VAMPIRATES?!?!?111!??"

Kranox said:

Hello guys and girls,

Why would Mazd be more powerful in Total War than he was in Warhammer? In Table Top he had access to 1 lore at a time and was a loremaster of that lore. Mannfred on the other hand had Lore of Vampires and Lore of Death, with loremaster in both. Nagash had 9 spells chosen from 5 lores (Death, Light, Nehekhara, Vampires and Undeath).
    But he chose le lore he wanted, wich is huge, plus a whole lot of things do not make sense with TT.

endikux said:

That aint making a whole lot of sense, but ok

edited January 2019
    Kranox said:

endikux said:

That aint making a whole lot of sense, but ok
    The Joke

Post edited by dge1 on
    Kranox said:

Kranox said:

Hello guys and girls,

But he chose le lore he wanted, wich is huge, plus a whole lot of things do not make sense with TT.
    Yes, choosing 1 lore from 9 is quite nice. If they want to give him that ability, I'm all for it.

TT makes perfect sense because it is the actual reality of the world of Warhammer. The fluff is the fluff and has no bearing on anything except the fluff. Every armybook is propaganda that inflates the abilities of its armies. The stats are there to spell out in exact detail how powerful characters are.

So unless you want Malekith to be able to kill anyone, anytime, anywhere in the world just by thinking about it, have vision of the entire map at all times and know everything about everyone or for Teclis to be able to banish entire hordes of daemons with a wave of his hand and teleport armies across the world at will, maybe get over the "but muh fluff!" nonsense.
  • Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Registered Users Posts: 1,103
    Mazdamundi and the slaan lords are absolute garbage.

Their spells are awful, their mobility is awful, their stats are bad etc etc.

Its just a big pile of fat disappointment...
    Check out the Community Bug Fix Mod on the Steam Workshop.

I agree. Which is why I hugely enjpy the mod I mentioned earlier. Mazda and all Slann become so much more useful.

Kranox said:

Kranox said:

Hello guys and girls,

Yes, choosing 1 lore from 9 is quite nice. If they want to give him that ability, I'm all for it.

TT makes perfect sense because it is the actual reality of the world of Warhammer. The fluff is the fluff and has no bearing on anything except the fluff. Every armybook is propaganda that inflates the abilities of its armies. The stats are there to spell out in exact detail how powerful characters are.

So unless you want Malekith to be able to kill anyone, anytime, anywhere in the world just by thinking about it, have vision of the entire map at all times and know everything about everyone or for Teclis to be able to banish entire hordes of daemons with a wave of his hand and teleport armies across the world at will, maybe get over the "but muh fluff!" nonsense.
    I meant the game hasnt always sticked to TT,

That would actually be kind of a fun mechanic for Teclis and Malekith ;)

• AvadonAvadon Registered Users Posts: 1,545

Kranox said:

Hello guys and girls,

Too bad CA haven't made "undeath" a lore yet...that would be a pathetic joke...

• BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,141
    Saitoh said:

Itharus said:

Just having lore of vampires is enough to say that. Necrarchs are suffering from the fact that base lore of vampires is so good most of the time replacing something with a spell from another lore just makes the list worse. You'd have to be pretty dense to willingly trade winds of death for a **** vortex spell.
    This. Vampire lore a lot stronger than any other lore. It has strongest aoe heal, buff dmg, debuff dmg, summon and strongest aoe dmg.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,141

Mazda bound spell can be devastating, but they are complitely random.

Mazda bound spell can be devastating, but they are complitely random.
    Yeah thats the obly thing that bugs be about it... its sometimes amazing and sometimes it does nothing

His bound spells though are what a total of 4 free spell uses between them. Two vortexes and two triple winds. That is insanely powerful even in the worst of circumstance.

But just going to plug that mod again. It allows you to select whatever spells you want from the eight Winds of Magic as well as High Magic. If you want to have the Lore signature passive though you have to spend 4 points in the relevant Lore spell selection and then the one point for the passive. And it does this for all Slann, not just Mazdamundi. It also gives a once per battle useable ability that boosts Winds of Magic regeneration quite a bit allowing you to pump out spells.

I remember playing Mazdamundi as my first Lord in TWW2 and being underwhelmed by the spell selection. Then being disappointed to also see then that it was equally underwhelming for the normal Slann. As Slann are my favourite magic users in Warhammer that sucked hard.

I try to use as few mods as possible, but this one is one of the few I have no qualms about using. Sure it improves Slann and Mazda a fair bit but it absolutely feels justified.
    Suppose the problems with the Slann spells, not the extremely fragile unit itself, falls largely into the realm of preference.

I've never taken a caster with the express intention of using their magic purely for damage output. Not even a fire mage. The best spells in the game are also usually cheaper, that is the spells that buff and debuff areas of the field. To that end we've got Slann options with the whole of the lores of light, high, or heavens. They all get banishment, and their arcane conduit is better than normal.

Mazdamundi himself gets a combination effect from all three of those, some of which are the best in lore on top of his banishment, ruination of cities, and improved arcane conduit. He's got a decent enough single target heal, a powerful stat buff, net of amyntok needs no introduction, curse of midnight wind is a kick ass debuff, arcane unforging can outright remove an enemy caster temporarily, and comet is devastating enough. He also gets all three passives from the Slann available lores. To top it all off he gets an aoe ward save effect, and a larger winds pool than any normal caster.

So hes got a great debuff, great buffs, the god damn net, and a hellava lot of damage for single targets or a single unit. If he has a problem, its his lack of a "wind" spell.
    RikRiorik said:

His bound spells though are what a total of 4 free spell uses between them. Two vortexes and two triple winds. That is insanely powerful even in the worst of circumstance.

But just going to plug that mod again. It allows you to select whatever spells you want from the eight Winds of Magic as well as High Magic. If you want to have the Lore signature passive though you have to spend 4 points in the relevant Lore spell selection and then the one point for the passive. And it does this for all Slann, not just Mazdamundi. It also gives a once per battle useable ability that boosts Winds of Magic regeneration quite a bit allowing you to pump out spells.

I remember playing Mazdamundi as my first Lord in TWW2 and being underwhelmed by the spell selection. Then being disappointed to also see then that it was equally underwhelming for the normal Slann. As Slann are my favourite magic users in Warhammer that sucked hard.

I try to use as few mods as possible, but this one is one of the few I have no qualms about using. Sure it improves Slann and Mazda a fair bit but it absolutely feels justified.

The mod feels broken and cheesy. There's a reason that out of all the wizards in the entire Warhammer universe only Teclis could do anything close to what this mod allows. He pays for it by having the survivability of a wet paper bag in a tornado full of butcher knives.

RikRiorik said:

The mod feels broken and cheesy. There's a reason that out of all the wizards in the entire Warhammer universe only Teclis could do anything close to what this mod allows. He pays for it by having the survivability of a wet paper bag in a tornado full of butcher knives.
    Yeah it isn’t exactly bad I’ll give you that, and it adds to Mazda’s already considerable prowess. But I enjoy it.
    I think he should jjst have Greater arcane conduit in MP and it would help