Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Your favorite artillery unit in Warhammer 1&2 !

DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
Hello everyone, there I am again with yet again another tread about 'your favorite ... in warhammer 1&2'.

Today I am going to ask you, what is your favorite artillery unit in Warhammer 1&2 !?

As always the great book of rules will be in place, and I highly recommend you to read it before pressing your post button ! If the rules are not being followed, your answer is deemed invalid and on top of that, you have made it in to the great book of grudges, congratulations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RULES
  • Only 1 artillery unit can be your favorite. Not 2, just 1.
  • RoR units are allowed.
  • DLC and FLC units are allowed.
  • I want to know your favorite artillery unit in game, not lore.
  • You don't need to tell somebody else why there choice is a poor on in your eyes, we all have our favorite unit for different reasons. Respect that.
  • NO WAR MACHINES OR MONSTROUS ARTILLERY !!! (steam tank, Luminark, Gyrocopters, Cygors, Necrofex Collossus, Stegadons and the likes)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite artillery piece is : The Helblaster volley gun




I L.O.V.E. this unit. The empire has in my eyes the coolest artillery pieces in the game (yes, I said it dwarfs, I SAID IT).

Always immensely looking forward to unlock this unit. I don't know what it is, but there is a certain satisfying feeling to it. The empire armies feel so right supplemented by there artillery pieces. I really love how they made the empire feel. There state troops are really ment to work together like it is described in the description, and all the state troops and artillery feel like they are very symbiotic together.

The helblaster's fire feels soooooo GOOOD !! I love seeing the projectiles flying around and mass killing units with some serious armour. love it, love it LOVE IT !!.


Now its your turn, and please don't forget to like this post if you like these treads :) thank you very much !





For our beloved Emperor ! FOR SIGMAR ! (but the lady is better)
Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
«1

Comments

  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,348
    I'll take the Helstorm Rocket Battery. Firstly it does superb amounts of damage at supreme range and secondly it looks and acts like it is firing fireworks which is a bit silly which is something that adds to the charm.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • MrProsMrPros Registered Users Posts: 19
    edited January 2019
    I was always in love with hellcannon, the thing that it shots compressed souls is awesome, and its comming with addition of my fav race, chaos dwarfs
    Also its pretty damn effective at killing all kinds of elves ^^
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 3,070
    Helstorm Rocket Battery. Man does it look awesome. Bonus points for being named after ****' TODDY ("After Elector Count Boris Todbringer was almost killed by an errant barrage, they were dubbed 'Helstorm' rockets after the colourful language used to reprimand the unfortunate crewmen").
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    RikRiorik said:

    I'll take the Helstorm Rocket Battery. Firstly it does superb amounts of damage at supreme range and secondly it looks and acts like it is firing fireworks which is a bit silly which is something that adds to the charm.

    aaa friend RikRiorik from the world edge mountains !! (forgive my preference for Empire made artillery, its more reliable you know, seems you agree)

    You are the first again :)

    Great choice ! I see the charm yes, empire artillery feels so right somehow!
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    MrPros said:

    Always loves hellcannon, the thing that it shots compressed souls is awesome, and its comming with addition of my fav race, chaos dwarfs
    Also its pretty damn effective at killing all kinds of elves ^^

    Can't argue it must be one of the best, if not THE BEST, artillery piece in the entire game ! Thing is crazy, and the crew isn't soft either !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    Fossoway said:

    Helstorm Rocket Battery. Man does it look awesome. Bonus points for being named after ****' TODDY ("After Elector Count Boris Todbringer was almost killed by an errant barrage, they were dubbed 'Helstorm' rockets after the colourful language used to reprimand the unfortunate crewmen").

    hahahha yes !! I heard that story, amazing ! great choice !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • AvadonAvadon Registered Users Posts: 1,543
    edited January 2019
    DarkLordD said:

    Hello everyone, there I am again with yet again another tread about 'your favorite ... in warhammer 1&2'.

    Today I am going to ask you, what is your favorite artillery unit in Warhammer 1&2 !?

    As always the great book of rules will be in place, and I highly recommend you to read it before pressing your post button ! If the rules are not being followed, your answer is deemed invalid and on top of that, you have made it in to the great book of grudges, congratulations.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    RULES

    • Only 1 artillery unit can be your favorite. Not 2, just 1.
    • RoR units are allowed.
    • DLC and FLC units are allowed.
    • I want to know your favorite artillery unit in game, not lore.
    • You don't need to tell somebody else why there choice is a poor on in your eyes, we all have our favorite unit for different reasons. Respect that.
    • NO WAR MACHINES OR MONSTROUS ARTILLERY !!! (steam tank, Luminark, Gyrocopters, Cygors, Necrofex Collossus, Stegadons and the likes)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    My favorite artillery piece is : The Helblaster volley gun




    I L.O.V.E. this unit. The empire has in my eyes the coolest artillery pieces in the game (yes, I said it dwarfs, I SAID IT).

    Always immensely looking forward to unlock this unit. I don't know what it is, but there is a certain satisfying feeling to it. The empire armies feel so right supplemented by there artillery pieces. I really love how they made the empire feel. There state troops are really ment to work together like it is described in the description, and all the state troops and artillery feel like they are very symbiotic together.

    The helblaster's fire feels soooooo GOOOD !! I love seeing the projectiles flying around and mass killing units with some serious armour. love it, love it LOVE IT !!.


    Now its your turn, and please don't forget to like this post if you like these treads :) thank you very much !




    For our beloved Corpse Emperor ! FOR FAILMAR ! (but the lady elf god is better)

    Yet to be implemented...
    Post edited by Avadon on

  • MarkerMarker Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    edited January 2019



    Hellstorm rocket battery. ( RoR The Sunmaker )

    1. Can shoot over your troops and thus powerful through the entire game and does not need the high ground, a flank or the front and make itself vulnerable and in my eyes a better version of the mortar which I love in the early game.
    2. Does not have great accuracy but makes up for that with the amount of spread out missiles it shoots, so it does not really need that as single shots do.
    3. Increased number of rockets compared to the normal one.
    4. Fire damage.
    5. Anti-infantry.

  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    Marker said:





    Hellstorm rocket battery. ( RoR The Sunmaker )

    1. Can shoot over your troops and thus powerful through the entire game and does not need the high ground, a flank or the front and make itself vulnerable and in my eyes a better version of the mortal which I love the early game.
    2. Does not have great accuracy but makes up for that with the amount of spread out missiles it shoots, so it does not really need that as single shots do.
    3. Increased number of rockets compared to the normal one.
    4. Fire damage.
    5. Anti-infantry.

    Great choice my friend ! It seems the Hellstorm rocket battery is a beloved artillery piece, and for good reasons. The Empire has some awesome artillery on there side. Thank Sigmar for the great formal capital of Nuln !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • tanspan88tanspan88 Registered Users Posts: 201
    Plagueclaw Catapult hands down. Cheap, obly tier 3, and you get 6 models per unit. Combined with the skaven’s relaxed attitude to friendly fire, i love sending hordes of slaves and summons into the enemy and blasting the blob to bits with 6+ units of catapults. The wreckage it causes to high elf infantry just makes my eyes tear up.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    tanspan88 said:

    Plagueclaw Catapult hands down. Cheap, obly tier 3, and you get 6 models per unit. Combined with the skaven’s relaxed attitude to friendly fire, i love sending hordes of slaves and summons into the enemy and blasting the blob to bits with 6+ units of catapults. The wreckage it causes to high elf infantry just makes my eyes tear up.

    Happy to see someone mentioning skaven in this regard. They have some really good artillery.

    Nice choice !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • AvadonAvadon Registered Users Posts: 1,543
    DarkLordD said:

    tanspan88 said:

    Plagueclaw Catapult hands down. Cheap, obly tier 3, and you get 6 models per unit. Combined with the skaven’s relaxed attitude to friendly fire, i love sending hordes of slaves and summons into the enemy and blasting the blob to bits with 6+ units of catapults. The wreckage it causes to high elf infantry just makes my eyes tear up.

    Happy to see someone mentioning skaven in this regard. They have some really good artillery.

    Nice choice !
    Waiting for random mortal to chat about that Vampire Coast weapon...

    Late as usual...

  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    Avadon said:

    DarkLordD said:

    tanspan88 said:

    Plagueclaw Catapult hands down. Cheap, obly tier 3, and you get 6 models per unit. Combined with the skaven’s relaxed attitude to friendly fire, i love sending hordes of slaves and summons into the enemy and blasting the blob to bits with 6+ units of catapults. The wreckage it causes to high elf infantry just makes my eyes tear up.

    Happy to see someone mentioning skaven in this regard. They have some really good artillery.

    Nice choice !
    Waiting for random mortal to chat about that Vampire Coast weapon...

    Late as usual...
    Huh ? I don't understand! I am sorry 😓
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • AltarielAltariel Registered Users Posts: 148
    edited January 2019
    Sorry I posted wrong kkkkkk i posted ranged (Old Sisters) I read the rules but I ended up confusing myself in the post, sorry




    Artillery is the Queen Bess
    She's very strong, and in sieges she's a godsend.

    You have a limit of one, but she have a very good range and strong atack in campaing
    Post edited by Altariel on
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 1,805
    Someone has to say it... Doom Diver Catapult.

    There is a lot of impressive firepower in Warhammer, but what could be better than bat-winged loonies launching themselves at the enemy and screaming happily all the way to a messy impact?
    Grom comes. Elves quake. Grom comes. Dragons wake.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    Altariel said:

    <

    Sisters of Avelorn

    Armour-Piercing Missiles - making them the ideal choice against heavily-armoured enemies

    Bows of Avelorn:
    Loosing arrows of mystical blue fire, they excel at setting vulnerable units ablaze and piercing the toughest armour.

    Decent Melee Combatant: Despite being primarily a missile unit or spellcaster, this unit can also hold its own ground when fighting in melee.

    Good Range
    : This unit has a larger range than most other units of the same class. This allows it to take out hostile missile units before they can come into firing range.

    Sorry but how is that a artillery unit? Have you read the rules ?

    I am very sorry but according to the Greek book of rules this answer is invalid .. it's not a artillery unit. Please read;) !

    What is your favourite artillery unit in warhammer 1 and 2 ? (Read rules before comment please :) )
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392

    Someone has to say it... Doom Diver Catapult.

    There is a lot of impressive firepower in Warhammer, but what could be better than bat-winged loonies launching themselves at the enemy and screaming happily all the way to a messy impact?

    Again I knew your answers before you even saw this post ! Haha great to see such an Greenskins fan.

    I think we can all agree it's a very creative artillery piece and a lot of fun!
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 1,805
    DarkLordD said:

    Someone has to say it... Doom Diver Catapult.

    There is a lot of impressive firepower in Warhammer, but what could be better than bat-winged loonies launching themselves at the enemy and screaming happily all the way to a messy impact?

    Again I knew your answers before you even saw this post ! Haha great to see such an Greenskins fan.

    I think we can all agree it's a very creative artillery piece and a lot of fun!
    Sorry to be predictable. I will try to surprise you in later posts. There are some non-green things I like... I think.
    Grom comes. Elves quake. Grom comes. Dragons wake.
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaRegistered Users Posts: 2,276
    The humble cannon; cheap, relatively easy to recruit and useful in just about any situation. It has no problems making mince out of any infantry or cavalry unit (doubly so if you know how to actually position the thing) and also works decently against large enemies if needed.

    Sure, others may be better at their niche roles, but the humble cannon is something that will be useful just about everywhere.
  • ElmElm Registered Users Posts: 1
    Queen Bess usually nets the highest kill count for me.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392

    DarkLordD said:

    Someone has to say it... Doom Diver Catapult.

    There is a lot of impressive firepower in Warhammer, but what could be better than bat-winged loonies launching themselves at the enemy and screaming happily all the way to a messy impact?

    Again I knew your answers before you even saw this post ! Haha great to see such an Greenskins fan.

    I think we can all agree it's a very creative artillery piece and a lot of fun!
    Sorry to be predictable. I will try to surprise you in later posts. There are some non-green things I like... I think.
    haha, I actually like it ;) ! I respect dedicated Fans of a certain race ;) !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    cool_lad said:

    The humble cannon; cheap, relatively easy to recruit and useful in just about any situation. It has no problems making mince out of any infantry or cavalry unit (doubly so if you know how to actually position the thing) and also works decently against large enemies if needed.

    Sure, others may be better at their niche roles, but the humble cannon is something that will be useful just about everywhere.

    I have nothing to bring into that ! Canons are great, all-around artillery pieces. Good in any situation.
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    Elm said:

    Queen Bess usually nets the highest kill count for me.

    I knew that one would come up eventually, how can't she ? Big bad ass canon !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • CA_JamesCA_James Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 389
    Elm said:

    Queen Bess usually nets the highest kill count for me.

    This everyday. How can you not love a gigantic cannon that can wipe whole units?
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    CA_James said:

    Elm said:

    Queen Bess usually nets the highest kill count for me.

    This everyday. How can you not love a gigantic cannon that can wipe whole units?
    Cant argue, but style wise, its the helblaster !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 1,944
    For the love of Christ stop nerfing it CA.

  • TalmoreanTalmorean Registered Users Posts: 1,436
    Ice-Forged Legion. 4 Hell Cannons. It's absurd.
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,123
    Hellstorm Rocket Battery. It launches pretty fireworks that can cause a bunch of damage.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,392
    Surprised to see SO many Hellstorm rocket battery guys ! I think we didn't even got a real dwarf artillery piece mentioned yet except for the canon !
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

    --~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • DeathjabbersDeathjabbers Registered Users Posts: 5
    Hands down the skaven warp lightning cannon. It's accurate at long range and can be used to snipe lords and monsters. The projectile cuts a visible swath through an infantry formation and goes through heavy armored infantry like butter. I keep them at the front of my lines (which are as far from the enemy as possible) and shoot as much as I can while the enemy approach, and then move slaves up to block infantry and keep spears in reserve to guard against calvary and flying monsters. Well placed cannon shots can hit multiple units of infantry on level ground and can really disrupt and rout entire units before they ever get close to you. Plus, I have no qualms about shooting through my slaves by attacking the ground with the cannons, as you still wind up ahead and can always recruit more slaves in campaign. I like to build the campaign army entirely around having 6 units of these cannons. I think using the plague monks with heroes on bells for support would be the best tactic as it sheds the line and allows your numerous rats to flank, but the warp lightning cannons are just so fun and satisfying to use, and they let the skaven player play defensively and reactivly... and cheese the ai :wink:
Sign In or Register to comment.