Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CA vs Amplitude DLC policy

Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,448Registered Users
Amplitude is a medium sized French company, published by SEGA just as CA, known for its Endless universe which is used as a setting in several games, mostly strategy games. As of now, the flagship Amplitude game is Endless Space 2. It has some flaws, but it is overall a very solid and well supported game, so I encourage you folks to give it a chance.

Amplitude also has an older, fantasy strategy game, published four years ago: Endless Legend, also interesting, if somewhat weirdly designed. Yesterday both games got an expansion. To this day, both games have been almost equally supported. It worked like this: Amplitude had decided to stop the DLC train for Endless Legend two expansions ago, with the Tempest DLC. People asked for more, so Amplitude listened to them (something they use to do a lot, to their credit) and outsourced two new DLC to NGD Studios.

Even if they had a new, and surely more profitable game out, they tried to be fair to their fantasy fanbase, and gave them four years of equal support. I won't say more, just compare that with Warhammer 2 and draw your own conclusions.

Comments

• Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Posts: 1,386Registered Users
    How to compare? Warhammer 2 is not finished...
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,448Registered Users

How to compare? Warhammer 2 is not finished...

DLC policy, not the game itself.
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 935Registered Users
    Endless Space 2, while decent, is significantly less than TW: Warhammer 1 & 2 including all dlc. I've played both, I own all the dlc for TW:Warhammer 1+2 though, they are not equal in scope or implementation.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Posts: 1,535Registered Users
    Amplitude is also a fairly smaller studio. They probably aren't actively working on a new project, so if they gage that there is a market for DLC, they can easily start production on some new DLC.
    Folks, are you even reading? They didn't produce the new DLC themselves, they outsourced them.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    I think CA do equally support games, they just have quiet periods while new games are released. They have already said there will be more DLC on the way for WH2.
  • Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Posts: 1,386Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Folks, are you even reading? They didn't produce the new DLC themselves, they outsourced them.

So your main suggestion is to outsource to keep Warhammer 2 alive for some more years after CA finishes it / moves to Game 3? Your opening post is not very focus :| Anyhow Game 3 content already give the series new life. Your suggestion may work after Game 3 but it is a long way to critizise an unknown policy.
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 628Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Amplitude is a medium sized French company, published by SEGA just as CA, known for its Endless universe which is used as a setting in several games, mostly strategy games. As of now, the flagship Amplitude game is Endless Space 2. It has some flaws, but it is overall a very solid and well supported game, so I encourage you folks to give it a chance.

Amplitude also has an older, fantasy strategy game, published four years ago: Endless Legend, also interesting, if somewhat weirdly designed. Yesterday both games got an expansion. To this day, both games have been almost equally supported. It worked like this: Amplitude had decided to stop the DLC train for Endless Legend two expansions ago, with the Tempest DLC. People asked for more, so Amplitude listened to them (something they use to do a lot, to their credit) and outsourced two new DLC to NGD Studios.

Even if they had a new, and surely more profitable game out, they tried to be fair to their fantasy fanbase, and gave them four years of equal support. I won't say more, just compare that with Warhammer 2 and draw your own conclusions.

Would this not be similar to CA releasing DLC for Rome II a few months back, a game that is several years old, but they have still supported it with new content? Didn't CA release an entire faction pack for WH2 less than three months ago?

I am making my own conclusion, as you suggested. That conclusion is that CA supports their games at least as well as Amplitude. Somehow, I am guessing thats not the conclusion you want drawn though.

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,451Registered Users
    Its funny because when CA did just that with Rome 2 DLC, I saw people complaining.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • HarkovastHarkovast Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    edited January 25
    I find it strange that people get mad at CA for DLC.
    Yeah I would like to get more.
    But that's like if you gave me a big bowl of icecream and then I want more, I wouldn't be angry at your ice cream policy. Its just that I love the ice cream and can't get enough!

These games seem to get massive support.
    The DLC has been getting better and better (compare Vampire coast to Beastmen, its light years ahead! And beastmen seemed pretty good at the time!)
    They do tones of FLC as well, including these huge updates on old races, reworking their skills, rebalancing all the units to keep everythin competitive.

Yeah I would like more DLC.
    I would love a new DLC every day of the week so I can get a second mortgage to buy them all.
    But I don't think we are hard done by as things stand.
    Post edited by Canuovea on
    For The Lady, for Manann, for Bordeleaux!
  • SteamageSteamage Posts: 232Registered Users
    Offf topic: I would be very happy about an Endless Legend Total war.
  • Rochaid29Rochaid29 Senior Member Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    I normally agree with most of what you say, but why the constant need to remind us that this game has gotten not enough attention/ support from this company since it came out..?

I think it's more than clear to any but the most die hard fan boy out there... or troll here (ahem) that it has been a train-wreck from the beginning.

You can compare them to a million other companies.. its not going to make ANY difference.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,568Registered Users
    Rochaid29 said:

I normally agree with most of what you say, but why the constant need to remind us that this game has gotten not enough attention/ support from this company since it came out..?

I think it's more than clear to any but the most die hard fan boy out there... or troll here (ahem) that it has been a train-wreck from the beginning.

You can compare them to a million other companies.. its not going to make ANY difference.

CA is like McDonald's. They both make things and when they're making a new thing they stop working on the other thing.... okay, maybe comparing companies is harder than it looks.
    I am incredibly mad and angry at whatever someone insinuated could possibly, but not likely, happen in the WH series today and CA must answer for this with an explanation of why they might possibly, but didn't do this!!!
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 5,206Registered Users
    The only problem I have with the DLC/FLC as of now is that it is not releasing at a sufficient pace to keep my interest peaked.

However I can almost always find a reason to play something old or new of some sort. But the new Vampirates only managed to keep me interested for about a week even though I didn’t play them much.

As long as stuff keeps coming I’ll keep playing. However I imagine the not so hardcore fans are more likely to move on to newer games when new stuff isn’t forthcoming.
    Lord of the Undermountain
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 2,536Registered Users
    Essentially you just named the entire purpose of the Rome II team. They bought another studio so they could stack more projects onto and surprise an ancient game got something.

And honestly if you want more? This is not the company to prop up. I bought Endless Legend when it came out it's been a long road to get all the DLC and a chunk of it really isn't much at all.
  • tyrannustyrannus Posts: 713Registered Users
    Actually would be great if they outsourced addons to someone. For example new content for game 1 factions, stuff like Taurox, Boris with Middenland, Grom the Paunch etc.

Believe in humanity!
    tyrannus said:

Actually would be great if they outsourced addons to someone. For example new content for game 1 factions, stuff like Taurox, Boris with Middenland, Grom the Paunch etc.

Honestly, just give some modders better tools and a small budget and let them create stuff that then CA officially recognizes and either patches into the game or sells as very cheap DLC.

This would be a very quick and easy way to get a lot of the missing lords and heroes.
    I am incredibly mad and angry at whatever someone insinuated could possibly, but not likely, happen in the WH series today and CA must answer for this with an explanation of why they might possibly, but didn't do this!!!
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 1,811Registered Users
    tyrannus said:

Lord Packs would be great for outsourced DLCs, especially since most of the graphical content is done by freelancers anyway.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with @Rochaid29 and say that bussiness discussion threads are pointless: CA are aware what outsourcing is and already do that, and every suggestion is going to be greeted by an endless naysayer "you don't understand anything" mantra.

Let's hope we'll get plenty of Rome II-like packs once the trilogy is complete.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!

Xenos7 said:

Would this not be similar to CA releasing DLC for Rome II a few months back, a game that is several years old, but they have still supported it with new content?
    Exactly. Rome II.

I am making my own conclusion, as you suggested. That conclusion is that CA supports their games at least as well as Amplitude. Somehow, I am guessing thats not the conclusion you want drawn though.

Why should I care? I said to draw your own.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 3,960Registered Users
    Unfortunately to CA customers are pay pigs. Releases must not overlap, You are not meant to be WH fan but TW fan and buy games as schedule dictates.

TW:WHII support has been rather awful. Total 3 DLC since September 2017.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 13,465Registered Users
    Warhammer 2 is getting loads of DLC.

TWW2 is getting great long term support and better yet the DLC and the game itself is improving in quality.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 1,811Registered Users

TWW2 is getting great long term support and better yet the DLC and the game itself is improving in quality.

I think I've heard this a year ago.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    It's really common for companies to focus on similar products over different time periods. If people have a problem with CA/SEGA using a strategy to maximise profits well.. Good luck existing in the utopia you believe we live in.

Hmmm... loads of DLC? Somehow 3, with a 4th coming sometime in 2019 does not fit my definition of "loads".
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,448Registered Users, Moderators
    Hey, maybe once the trilogy is over, CA Sofia will end up adding more content occasionally, just like they've been doing with Rome 2.

I mean, that's basically the same thing being described here. The only difference is what is being released at what time.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
    Canuovea said:

Hey, maybe once the trilogy is over, CA Sofia will end up adding more content occasionally, just like they've been doing with Rome 2.

I mean, that's basically the same thing being described here. The only difference is what is being released at what time.

Hopefully this is true. I'm hoping that after CA has finished all of their big DLC releases that they will become more lax and do some cross-game content releases so we can wrap up some of the game 1/2 races at the end of game 3 for packing stuff into the final combined map.
    edited January 25

Hmmm... loads of DLC? Somehow 3, with a 4th coming sometime in 2019 does not fit my definition of "loads".
    Blood, Tomb Kings, Q&C, Vampire Coast, LM Vs Skaven, plus whatever's coming after that, that's 4 currently with at least 2 more on the way. TWW2 has done very well for itself with its DLC especially considering all the DLC sans blood is of good or better quality.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    Canuovea said:

I see them doing DLC for the trilogy for a while after. There's a veritable cornucopia of relatively easy stuff they can put in.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 2,536Registered Users
    It's gotten as much as much as the prior.. but oh people will scream preorder bonus... considering they said we're going to get a DLC after the lord pack and I really doubt it's going to be game 3's preorder bonus yeah. It's gonna put it at parity.

It's the time allotted that bothers people but it's till been quality for the most part.

And Amplitude does not shine with volume vs time. Check the release date of any of their games, how much dlc. Then try looking what's actually contained in those. Sometimes its' something larger like a new main faction, many are minor additions, some are virtually ignorable in game. It's not a good comparison.

Blood, Tomb Kings, Q&C, Vampire Coast, LM Vs Skaven, plus whatever's coming after that, that's 4 currently with at least 2 more on the way. TWW2 has done very well for itself with its DLC especially considering all the DLC sans blood is of good or better quality.
    The only thing you changed was you counted blood in the count which I personally wouldn't but either way, 4 is still not "loads". If you can count something on one hand it isn't "loads". I'd argue that applies even if you're counting on both hands. I never made mention of the quality of the releases so not sure why that's an argument you chose to make.
    Nyxilis said:

It's gotten as much as much as the prior.. but oh people will scream preorder bonus... considering they said we're going to get a DLC after the lord pack and I really doubt it's going to be game 3's preorder bonus yeah. It's gonna put it at parity.

It's the time allotted that bothers people but it's till been quality for the most part.

And Amplitude does not shine with volume vs time. Check the release date of any of their games, how much dlc. Then try looking what's actually contained in those. Sometimes its' something larger like a new main faction, many are minor additions, some are virtually ignorable in game. It's not a good comparison.

To be fair, I didn't think game 1 got enough DLC, but yes, most people are annoyed that they are releasing the same amount of content, but potentially at 2-2.5 times the length of time. So, it's reasonable that people aren't thrilled with getting the same amount of content across 2+ years that they got in 1 before. Whatever the reasons may be.

As for speculation for what the DLC is after the lords pack, that's not a point in anyone's favor. We have no idea what it could be or if it will be a pre-order DLC or not so both sides can speculate as positively or as negatively as they want, it does't help either argument if you don't actually have any information.