Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

After Metro went Epic Store Exclusive, now I'm worried about Total War (and everything else)

gholingholin MemberPosts: 1,037Registered Users
I really hope 3 Kingdoms and Warhammer 3 don't get poached by Epic like Metro did.

I wouldn't put it past Epic, since they seem to want to go hostile takeover on PC gaming and buy everything and everyone. You guys think there is any chance of this happening? What would that mean for the workshop and mod support or for Warhammer 3 since it's part of a series? I sure hope they don't buy Sega exclusivity.

Comments

• cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 2,247Registered Users
    It would be quite the coup for Epic and a terrible experience all round for the customers. Epic may dangle a better cut and access to the Chinese market (courtesy Tencent) in front of Sega.

The downsides; no workshop, no way of integrating with previous titles (like we had with Warhmmer 1 and 2), an overall worse client with fewer features (no cloud saves for example) and increasing fragmentation of the PC Gaming market (similar to the console market) due to store exclusives.

Ultimately, it's a question of just how much the publisher values the customer experience (somewhere the Epic store is decidedly lacking) and the health of the PC gaming market as a whole (due to the whole issue of fragmentation due to exclusives) vs getting a bigger cut or any other incentives from Epic (whose behavior seems to be venturing dangerously close to anti competitive practices).

My 2 cents: It's better to stick to the Steam store, if only to retain the goodwill generated by a better customer experience and it's already existing (and expanding) array of value added customer friendly features (such as cloud saves and workshop support). Epic might offer a slightly better cut than Steam, but the overall user experience on Steam is better for the end user in a market where consumer goodwill counts for far more than it's given credit for.

• CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,659Registered Users, Moderators
    It would be a poor move for Warhammer, I suspect, because of how the Mortal Empires map works. Just imagine if TWW3 came out only on Epic's thing! How would the game know if you had game one and two in your Steam Account?

Course I can't say for sure, but it would probably be a bad idea for TWW3.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 4,092Registered Users
    I'm not optimistic on this one. Gaming is trending towards greed and I wouldn't hold it below CA to go strictly for the money now that they are gearing their future efforts towards the chinese market. I don't think it'll happen soon of it does. I just wonder how long CA resist the pull of money at our expense.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,979Registered Users
    If it was a decent company, I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't trust Epic Games. They just got big recently due to Fortnite and now are trying to bully their way onto the big scene. They may be developer friendly, but that BS they just pulled was definitely not consumer friendly. What a massive "F YOU" to Metro fans...
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 854Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
    Three Kingdoms will be released on Steam.
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,037Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Thank you so much for squashing any of our worries about this, Grace!
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,619Registered Users
    Yeah I don't think that was a smart move taking it off Steam on such short notice.
  • KelefaneKelefane Posts: 992Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Will Warhammer 3?
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,659Registered Users, Moderators
    Kelefane said:

Grace_CA said:

Will Warhammer 3?
    Probably a bit early to be answering the question (though I'm not sure), given it doesn't even have a release date and preorders have not begun. But as above, considering the three games will work together, I imagine it will be (though I'm not in any way an authority on this).
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour