Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: THREE KINGDOMS Let's Play - Ma Teng: Empire Building

CA_EllaCA_Ella Posts: 259Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

In THREE KINGDOMS, you need to build your empire and forge your legacy. If you don’t know where to start, we’ve got you covered.

Take a look at this video to learn about managing your population, utilising your administrators, giving assignments and more:

Comments

• AryndelinAryndelin Junior Member Posts: 1,228Registered Users
    ZOMG WHAT

Didnt expect Ma Teng to pop out.

Thanks for another weekly video CA :D
  • TetrewTetrew Posts: 69Registered Users
    I can tell you - having a chance to pin something on the map is going to be super sweet for coop camapaigns.
    And as always - UI and campaign map looks beatiful.

I am having another issue with the AI though - splitting their armies to two to attack player outside their city and consequently losing first and second battle (even though player´s army wasn´t at full strength) seems little bit easy and also stupid.
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 844Registered Users
    Wow, great stuff!
  • MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 1,919Registered Users
    Look like supply is more impact than ToB.
    SHUT UP AND REWORK BEASTMEN CAMPAIGN & SKILL (AND THEN GIVE US GHORGON)

• mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,096Registered Users
    Tetref said:

I am having another issue with the AI though - splitting their armies to two to attack player outside their city and consequently losing first and second battle (even though player´s army wasn´t at full strength) seems little bit easy and also stupid.

The AI attacked with both armies (second was a reinforcement). You must have seen this in other Total War games lol.

Tetref said:

The AI attacked with both armies (second was a reinforcement). You must have seen this in other Total War games lol.
    For sure I am familiar with it but it looked like a single army attack.

Green character moves up. Battle. Green character is no more (dead?) and rest of the army is under another blue character command. Original Blue Character is standing next to the town and is attacked by the player.
    edited February 1
    Tetref said:

Tetref said:

Green character moves up. Battle. Green character is no more (dead?) and rest of the army is under another blue character command. Original Blue Character is standing next to the town and is attacked by the player.
    Never mind. You may be right.
    edited February 1

Tetref said:

Tetref said:

Maybe he did. But it looks like he didn´t as he didn´t have any casulties.

This is before battle screen.

This is after battle

Also: Blue Character model is positioned in the exact same way which doesn´t look like his army has retreated.

• TayvarTayvar Posts: 9,186Registered Users
    edited February 1
    Interesting, so to play efficiently an characters need to be assign to economic missions that take number of turns. The option to demand a surrender of a city is quite nice. Looks like the AI can choose to not fulfill his part of an deals, would the AI get a diplomatic penalty for that? would it considered a justified reason to starting a war? or a player can still get a diplomatic penalty for doing that?
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
    Most of it looks really good.

That the guy in the city (hanzhong) didnt reinforce was suprising. But thats the only thingi can put my finger on for negativities too.

I liked how branched diplomacy was. By using Dong Zhuo to get what you want at the cost of breaking ties with Zhang Lu.

Another negative is repetition of portraits, but mods will fix that i hope :)

Too bad we didnt see more of battles, maybe something is being worked on.

I liked what i saw of the campaign. Looking forward to spending ages there :)

At least add more than one gesture for the strategists lol. They look like clones of each other.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 9,186Registered Users

At least add more than one gesture for the strategists lol. They look like clones of each other.

It's an strategists gesture, but they have different faces, also it's an similar case with other generic characters.
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
    Tetref said:

Tetref said:

Tetref said:

Maybe he did. But it looks like he didn´t as he didn´t have any casulties.

Yeah. I retracted after spotting that as well.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    OK, not to be a Negative-Nelly here, but the first thing I noticed straight off the bat is that the Silk Road Trader building tree comes with a pretty sizable-looking garrison, especially in the higher tiers. I hope that's unique to the Silk Road Trader and not indicative of powerful garrisons for all settlements. Most of the time a player can fend off decently-sized AI armies attacking his settlements, even if he has a much smaller force. If the garrisons are too big, then it could lead to problems with the AI never being able to take a player's settlements. Too early to say if it's an issue, but just throwing that out there to chew on.

Supplies and reserves look to be a vital part of planning your military campaigns, which is cool to see. And the population mechanic sounds great,

I do like that there will be more of the those unique Legendary Items that provide benefits other than simple combat buffs, that's cool to see!

The Encampment battles look pretty cool, but I noticed the AI isn't moving it's 2nd army to reinforce.

Assignments look like an interesting alternative to Governors, but it sounds like the bonuses they can provide will need some serious balancing. Governors in ToB could end up providing very powerful bonuses in a very short time.

Map Pins! Nifty!
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,306Registered Users
    Oh my goodness... CA... oh my goodness... there are no words... to describe my satisfaction with your work, well done.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • Traum77Traum77 Posts: 27Registered Users

OK, not to be a Negative-Nelly here, but the first thing I noticed straight off the bat is that the Silk Road Trader building tree comes with a pretty sizable-looking garrison, especially in the higher tiers. I hope that's unique to the Silk Road Trader and not indicative of powerful garrisons for all settlements. Most of the time a player can fend off decently-sized AI armies attacking his settlements, even if he has a much smaller force. If the garrisons are too big, then it could lead to problems with the AI never being able to take a player's settlements. Too early to say if it's an issue, but just throwing that out there to chew on.

I noticed that too - looked like six archers and five swords (I might have been reading the screen wrong though) on a tier-3 (out of 5) minor settlement. That seems like a lot when the max an attacking army is going to bring is 18 units (plus 3 generals). Even if they're all just low-quality peasants, that's going to be a significant roadblock to expansion.
  • MemnonMemnon Senior Member Posts: 568Registered Users
    Traum77 said:

I noticed that too - looked like six archers and five swords (I might have been reading the screen wrong though) on a tier-3 (out of 5) minor settlement. That seems like a lot when the max an attacking army is going to bring is 18 units (plus 3 generals). Even if they're all just low-quality peasants, that's going to be a significant roadblock to expansion.

Really good idea CA-finnaly attack for important city will give some chellange-not like now.If need conquer somthing big and important must bring more than one army.And AI finnaly have some chance to defend....
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Also, Qiang units! I think that is the first non-ethnically Han troops confirmed. Pretty sure they mentioned much earlier that Ma Teng could recruit Xiliang Cavalry so it seems the "Unique Units" tab on the faction selection screen does not show all the special units a lord might get so there could be more.
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 871Registered Users
    edited February 1
    I think I got most of it, but it does go a little bit quick. Looks good though, really loving the more administrative side over the combat. Closer to more of the games I usually play.

Edit: Oh yeah. The item that actually adds an administrative spot, thats pretty cool. Better then just combat only items.
    It just hit me that unlocking units requires reforms and reforms requires buildings :o
    Traum77 said:

Nope, you're spot on; 6 archers and 5 swordsmen at tier 3. That seems like a lot to me, and tier 5 even gives 4 archers, 2 crossbowmen, and 6 swordsmen.
    From the look of the minor settlement maps we've seen, there'll be a handful of defensible chokepoints leading into the interior of the settlement, and these will be backed up by the defensive towers giving the defender another advantage.

Hopefully this is unique the Silk Road Trader building (I think I read something about specially-assigned Chinese garrisons deployed along the length of the Silk Road to defend it), and other settlements won't have such large garrisons.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 228Registered Users

Traum77 said:

Nope, you're spot on; 6 archers and 5 swordsmen at tier 3. That seems like a lot to me, and tier 5 even gives 4 archers, 2 crossbowmen, and 6 swordsmen.
    From the look of the minor settlement maps we've seen, there'll be a handful of defensible chokepoints leading into the interior of the settlement, and these will be backed up by the defensive towers giving the defender another advantage.

Hopefully this is unique the Silk Road Trader building (I think I read something about specially-assigned Chinese garrisons deployed along the length of the Silk Road to defend it), and other settlements won't have such large garrisons.
    It was my impression in the video that heroes are really important in battle, and as far as I could see there were no heroes in the garrisson, which may be to balance it out. Just speculation though.
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 613Registered Users
    I absolutely love how detailed the campaign mechanics are in this game, I'm so happy CA is focusing on the campaign side of these games again. TOB was also really good in this regard, but Three Kingdoms is taking it even further, great job guys! B)

Traum77 said:

It was my impression in the video that heroes are really important in battle, and as far as I could see there were no heroes in the garrisson, which may be to balance it out. Just speculation though.
    That's a fair point. These garrisons may not put up much of a fight against heroes, but I think they'll still be able to maul AI armies enough to really slow their progress down to a crawl. But what about Classic mode? Heroes won't be as powerful in that mode.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but it seems to me like something that may prove problematic.
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 844Registered Users
    Hey, he can't have my Gua Jia!

Is there a game mechanic to "Dong Zuo stranded in the desert" or is he just role playing?
  • ImperatorAnonimusImperatorAnonimus Posts: 285Registered Users
    To put into words how excited I am for this game might require inventing a new language, or at least new English words.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 2,755Registered Users

Supplies and reserves look to be a vital part of planning your military campaigns, which is cool to see. And the population mechanic sounds great,

I do like that there will be more of the those unique Legendary Items that provide benefits other than simple combat buffs, that's cool to see!

The Encampment battles look pretty cool, but I noticed the AI isn't moving it's 2nd army to reinforce.

Assignments look like an interesting alternative to Governors, but it sounds like the bonuses they can provide will need some serious balancing. Governors in ToB could end up providing very powerful bonuses in a very short time.

Map Pins! Nifty!

I'm thinking because silk creates a lot of wealth and the Chinese executed people for taking silkworms outside of China it seems reasonable that it would be highly priced and so protected.. a lot.
  • SakotadejanSakotadejan Posts: 152Registered Users
    tfwoods3 said:

Hey, he can't have my Gua Jia!

Is there a game mechanic to "Dong Zuo stranded in the desert" or is he just role playing?

What he meant by stranded in the desert is that Dong took his army far from his lands to capture a city somewhere in the desert. So now he is an easy target.
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 871Registered Users
    So, one question. They went through all of Ma Tengs abilitys at the start but one.

That one on the far right, looks like the Imperial seal, Wonder what that does and why did they not want to shows that one? They showed the rest.
  • arpitparpitp Junior Member Posts: 73Registered Users
    Should Ma Teng pass away, are any of his faction effects inheritable to his family or friends? If so, could there be more elaborate description as to how that could work? ( Would each character in a family have inheritable traits based on how people are "raised" or companionship/belief in one's cause? A degree of randomness would be fun and less predictable but some level of control could really make factions unique....unless we have faction and warlord benefits such as in Warhammer)
    I can see Sun Jian's family having certain traits passed on, but I can't fathom how each Warlords specialties could transfer over.