Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Historical competing with WTW

DavidtheDukeDavidtheDuke Senior MemberPosts: 2,149Registered Users
What I'm getting from the reception of 3K on reddit is it's a fraction of the hype for *Vampire Coast*, not even a new Warhammer game. I was wondering how much of this is my feeling, and how much is just me hoping 3k fails (even as I, at least on a conscious level, hold no ill will against 3K's success). So, I checked a lets play for vampire coast vs 3K in terms of reddit upvotes.

Here's the latest 3K campaign lets play (what's considered the superior part of 3K atm from what I've seen of people talking about 3K): www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/am4t4n/total_war_three_kingdoms_empire_building_lets_play/

300 upvotes, give or take.

Here's Vampire Coast's campaign lets play reddit thread: https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9ta64h/total_war_warhammer_ii_curse_of_the_vampire_coast/

900 upvotes.

To me, this seems pretty subpar given one is a new game and setting for TW altogether (3K), and the other is a DLC that was released and marketed *a year* after the actual game was released (Vampire Coast). What annoys me is we might be having Warhammer content be delayed for months and months for a game that, especially for me, is in no way competing for my attention/money yet all the same I just need to forget about WTW for awhile so it feels fresh again when WTW content actually starts releasing again.

I don't want 3K to fail/flop or whatever in a sort of malicious way, I just hope if it does fail to deliver what CA expects they'll at least consider having TWW content be released at least closer or during other historical content, even if it's relatively high profile as well. Imagine having to wait a month longer for WTW DLC because some 3K DLC is dropping first, or vice versa. I can imagine how historical fans feel crappy about the situation too.

I didn't delve into the whole separate teams stuff because in the end you can speculate how much of it is true and how much of it isn't.
i6700k @ 4.0 ghz
EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3 11GB
1TB SSD w/ Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Comments

• BMNOBLE981BMNOBLE981 Senior Member Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    Personally 3K's time period doesn't really interest me. It won't be a game I pre-order but I will eventually buy it.

Warhammer, hadn't played a campaign in about 2 months, cut myself off from all news regarding the game, came back to the forum recently hoping for some DLC or news of DLC. Nope just a patch back to ESO for awhile longer it seems.
    Dr Zoidberg "We fight over matters of honour, and whether or not abbreviations count in scrabble. THEY DON'T"

“My fault. What I said in the guild was incorrect: rather than ‘death is certain if you follow me’, I actually meant ‘come along and I shall slaughter the lot of you’.”

Ainz Ooal Gown Overlord Light Novels
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Posts: 1,334Registered Users
    The time period for 3K really interested me, I had been one of many who had suggested it as an under-explored period that would be well-suited to Total War.

My interest has waned for reasons I've gone over many times now, but I am still being surprised at the sheer immobility of CA when it comes to changing course.

@DavidtheDuke One thing that can't be discounted is that the Vampirate VCoast post has had 3 months to collect those votes and the 3K one has had a single day. The 3K one is likely to be gaining votes at a faster rate than the VVC one and it will be time that tells if it's actually more or less in the end. If we had a screen-cap of where VVC was after 1 day, that would be a more useful comparison.

• DavidtheDukeDavidtheDuke Senior Member Posts: 2,149Registered Users

T

@DavidtheDuke One thing that can't be discounted is that the Vampirate VCoast post has had 3 months to collect those votes and the 3K one has had a single day. The 3K one is likely to be gaining votes at a faster rate than the VVC one and it will be time that tells if it's actually more or less in the end. If we had a screen-cap of where VVC was after 1 day, that would be a more useful comparison.

People rarely keep upvoting a post after it leaves the front page. The 3K post has already left the front page at 330 upvotes. If some how the VC post actually did get 600 upvotes since past it's front page run (I doubt it), you'd see comments from the page that aren't all 3 months ago.

Now that I think about it, want a better comparison from the same day? Warhammer Cathay concept art has twice the upvotes that the 3K official lets play had: https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/am3xdt/i_did_more_cathay_concept_art_heres_a_imperial/
    Here's more from the same dude: https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/alf6b1/i_did_concept_art_for_how_a_cathayan_terracotta/

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/aglqtd/im_doing_some_speculative_concept_art_for_cathay/
    ^ Almost 1k upvotes.. for a black and white sketch (well done mind you), vs official lets play footage from a game about a month or so away.

People, on reddit anyway, seem more excited a possible Chinese analog in Warhammer than they are in 3K itself from official CA sources. Does this mean 3K won't do well? I don't know.

My main reason for the post is that if CA can see who is and isn't buying 3K, hopefully they'll at least start considering prioritizing WTW in what ways they can and maybe not avoiding content overlapping, since, well, I myself anyway doubt I'm going to buy 3K without a massive discount.

I would like some of the campaign mechanics I've seen from 3K, but as the battles look very boring, I'd just like those features in WTW basically. The only thing from more campaign mechanics in WTW would be a campaign editor to go along with the battle map editor (if limited only to adding/removing cities or something, maybe). That'd be the apex of TW IMO.

i6700k @ 4.0 ghz
    EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3 11GB
    @DavidtheDuke Yeah that's a lot more solid comparison. Maybe 3K won't catch-up, but even if it's improbable I'm always cautious about these things.

@DavidtheDuke Yeah that's a lot more solid comparison. Maybe 3K won't catch-up, but even if it's improbable I'm always cautious about these things.

Yeah I agree it could just be a quirk about how people upvote things on reddit in the end. I don't want 3K to fail really, but I do ge tthe impression of community observations etc anyway, that the overlap of both audiences isn't as much as CA might think, which is why they may be delaying WTW2 content. Maybe it won't be as stark once the game is actually out awhile since the real heavy hitters (upper level devs who lay foundation for content features) aren't as focused on 3K. It may be real basic feature work for WH3 content is planned after 3K's release is done (say after a big patch or two).
    i6700k @ 4.0 ghz
    EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3 11GB
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,223Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Here's my opinion on the two different genres:

The Road Not Taken
    By Robert Frost
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    Is that song about Attila bombing?

One reason why my journey ends soon, no matter what the other roads do. Warhammer 3 will be my last Total War.
    dge, I'm not really quite sure what you're trying to tell me w/ that poem haha. It's too high falootin brow for me I tell ya.

i6700k @ 4.0 ghz
    EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3 11GB
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,223Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    The poem is just about making choices to those that asked. It's always been a favorite of mine, for many years, and I've always kept it in mind.

We all have things that we like and decide to do. The poem was just an attempt to head off any rigorous debate that might get anyone in trouble. Debate on the forum is great, rancor over different opinions is not.

Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin