Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lizardmen Endgame Infantry

FraxinusFraxinus Posts: 257Registered Users
So I tried to make this case before, but I think I went about it the wrong way.

Temple Guard are woefully insufficient to fill all the endgame infantry needs of any faction. Why do I say this? Every other faction - literally every single one - has a high-tier infantry option that is basically an upgraded version of one of their beginner infantry units, and is effective in an infantry vs. infantry slugfest.

Empire have Greatswords.
Vampire Counts have Grave Guard.
Greenskins have Black Orcs.
Dwarves have Ironbreakers, Hammerers, and Slayers.
Chaos has Chosen.
Beastmen have Bestigors.
Wood Elves have Wildwood Rangers.
Even Bretonnia, a hugely cavalry-focused faction, has Foot Squires and Battle Pilgrims.

As far as game 2 races, High Elves have Swordmasters and White Lions.
Dark Elves have Executioners.
Skaven have Stormvermin with sword & shield, as well as Plague Monks.
Tomb Kings have Tomb Guard.
Even Vampire Coast, a mostly range-focused faction, have Depth Guard with dual axes.

Lizardmen are the ONLY faction in either game who do not. How does this make any sense, since they have some of the best early-game infantry?

Long story short, we need a Temple Guard with hand weapons option. It wasn't so bad earlier because you could rely more on your big dinosaurs, but ever since they removed the healing from Cold-Blooded, Carnosaurs have become walking arrow magnets.

Comments

• LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Posts: 354Registered Users
    I think that problem stems from the TT. There halberds were defined by a general strength bonus which didn't only apply against specific enemies (like all weapons who could only by counters due to countering tactics and not units themselves). Halberds in particular were very flexible. Due to how TW works this indeed creates your mentioned hole in the roster.

BUT I also find it stupid that endgame units even exist. The whole concept of high tier units replacing low tier ones needs to go away IMO. These elite units should idealy accentuate army compostition instead of rewriting it.
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    Honestly, I question whether or not you've used Temple Guard in much capacity. Its a unit that out-trades BLACK ORCS. They have a ~.5-1.5 second superior attack speed than all other halberd units. They're one of the only halberd or AP infantry in the game with a shield. They might not be the dedicated top tier infantry cleavers available to a small handful of factions(chaos, dark elves or high elves) but beside that they are incredibly effective vs infantry and can go toe to toe with nearly everything else.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • BrightestLightBrightestLight Posts: 358Registered Users

I think that problem stems from the TT. There halberds were defined by a general strength bonus which didn't only apply against specific enemies (like all weapons who could only by counters due to countering tactics and not units themselves). Halberds in particular were very flexible. Due to how TW works this indeed creates your mentioned hole in the roster.

BUT I also find it stupid that endgame units even exist. The whole concept of high tier units replacing low tier ones needs to go away IMO. These elite units should idealy accentuate army compostition instead of rewriting it.

THANK YOU OH MY GOD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file