Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Negative Criticism?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,085
edited February 7 in Off Topic General
This discussion was created from comments split from: How do I love the gameplay? Let me count the ways....
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,003Registered Users
    On a more negative note, did you guys notice the chat during the live stream? It was overtaken by trolls and haters. People were spouting all sorts of outright racist or otherwise ridiculous nonsense. There is a dedicated group of people predisposed towards hating this. There are people in this community even who have done nothing but complain since announcement.

I have serious concerns that this game will get reviewbombed at launch.
  • AsyranAsyran Posts: 375Registered Users

On a more negative note, did you guys notice the chat during the live stream? It was overtaken by trolls and haters. People were spouting all sorts of outright racist or otherwise ridiculous nonsense. There is a dedicated group of people predisposed towards hating this. There are people in this community even who have done nothing but complain since announcement.

Unfortunately this seems to run both ways. There are people here who defend every single facet of this game before its even out.

This title will at least be divisive.
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 830Registered Users
    There is far more to be positive about, than negative. The negative people are annoying because they take a SKY IS FALLING approach instead of a more rational one.
    Asyran said:

Unfortunately this seems to run both ways. There are people here who defend every single facet of this game before its even out.
    If there are, they were not present in the youtube chat yesterday. Hate is a lot more powerful driving factor in nerd culture. That is why we so often see reviewbombs, but rarely see a reviewbonanza.

• ImperatorAnonimusImperatorAnonimus Posts: 285Registered Users

I get the concerns, but I'm... hopeful. I mean it'll probably get a ton of negative reviews, people do that anyway. Rome 2 got a ton of them too, but it still did really well overall.

I feel like a lot of people are just looking at this going ".... Three what now?" As far as they're aware, the whole thing is just some kind of fantasy story set in Asia. Shogun 2, at least, had the appeal of samurai, but a lot of people just haven't heard of the Three Kingdoms. I'm hoping they end up actually enjoying it if they set out to buy it just so they can give it a negative review, but who can say?

On a side note, Steam should consider having a one hour minimum playtime requirement for reviews. If you're gonna get it just to smoke it with a negative review, you should at least have to put in an hour of effort.
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 88Registered Users

It's funny to watch how the minuses easily turned into pluses.

I did not read such a biased post even in the balance section.

If there is hate, then there is a reason. And often if the source of hate is an old fan base, then the reason is weighty.

• LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 787Registered Users
    Bjorn said:

If there is hate, then there is a reason. And often if the source of hate is an old fan base, then the reason is weighty.

I don’t understand hate. It’s a form of cowardice to be brave behind your screen. Next to that it’s impolite. Positive criticism is a form of love for a franchise because one cares. I know it’s fluffy but hey wisdom comes with age 😂
    edited February 7
    Bjorn said:

"First organize yourself, and then organize others. ... Study requires calm. Talent requires study. Without study, there is no way to expand talent. Without calm, there is no way to accomplish study."

Criticism is valid. Anger and vitriol, however, suggest one isn't seeing the greater picture. These are aspects that narrow vision and prevent one from seeing where their criticism may be misplaced, or how best to apply that criticism.

Those who wield hate tend to latch onto small and insignificant goals, while a reasoned approach might provide a more circumspect and worthwhile improvement to the game. If one is not composed, if one is not thinking clearly, how can one hope to improve something outside himself?
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 467Registered Users
    I always try and give criticism based on fact I have on hand. Review what your going to say before hitting 'post' and in disagreement, see if you can place yourself in their position of opinion.

These forums have pretty good, the steam forum are beyond redemption.
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 88Registered Users

Bjorn said:

"First organize yourself, and then organize others. ... Study requires calm. Talent requires study. Without study, there is no way to expand talent. Without calm, there is no way to accomplish study."

Criticism is valid. Anger and vitriol, however, suggest one isn't seeing the greater picture. These are aspects that narrow vision and prevent one from seeing where their criticism may be misplaced, or how best to apply that criticism.

Those who wield hate tend to latch onto small and insignificant goals, while a reasoned approach might provide a more circumspect and worthwhile improvement to the game. If one is not composed, if one is not thinking clearly, how can one hope to improve something outside himself?
    I could write a huge post that specifically does not suit me and the like, but why?
    Even if in my opinion it will be a weighty argument, the developers still will not listen. They have certain installations. And they will not listen to an ordinary player like me. What to talk about, if they do not even communicate with the community, do not talk about their intentions.
    I’m an old fan of the series and I’m not very happy where my favorite series of games is going.

Even if I manage to convince you and a couple of people it will not change the situation.

And I say this on the forum. Where possible there are people like me.
  • xXMr-GavinXxxXMr-GavinXx Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited February 7

I get the concerns, but I'm... hopeful. I mean it'll probably get a ton of negative reviews, people do that anyway. Rome 2 got a ton of them too, but it still did really well overall.

I feel like a lot of people are just looking at this going ".... Three what now?" As far as they're aware, the whole thing is just some kind of fantasy story set in Asia. Shogun 2, at least, had the appeal of samurai, but a lot of people just haven't heard of the Three Kingdoms. I'm hoping they end up actually enjoying it if they set out to buy it just so they can give it a negative review, but who can say?

On a side note, Steam should consider having a one hour minimum playtime requirement for reviews. If you're gonna get it just to smoke it with a negative review, you should at least have to put in an hour of effort.
    Maybe it's just my experiences, but every person I've talked to about Three Kingdoms in any of the communities I'm a part of with Total War players know exactly what Romance of The Three Kingdoms is - A 14th Century Historical Fiction Novel. So it is technically a fictional story in a non-fictional setting using the names and appearances of some real people - but it is fiction none the less.

Most of the people I know who play Total War games dislike the game for the same reasons I tend to - from what I've seen it's going to be ****. I dislike most of the graphics, I dislike most of the changes, I'm not too fond of the setting, I'm not too fond of CA's recent business practices in regards to DLC and pricing, and I dislike how many people feel the need to stubbornly defend it just because it's a Total War Game and they're trying their best! Inversely, I dislike people who hate the game because, "Ching Chong Man Bad!"

There are people with valid criticisms of the upcoming title.
    They have every right to let their complaints be heard through the Steam reviews just as you have a right to leave your support and love for the game. If the people who dislike the game outnumber those who do - tough ****.

As for me and mine - I sure as hell won't be buying Three Kingdoms, certainly not at launch, and I would advise others to do the same.
    "I don't expect them to fight, I expect them to die."
    - Elector Count Mikael Ludenhof
  • xXMr-GavinXxxXMr-GavinXx Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    Jesus Christ, they split the thread up in the middle of my post because of Negative Criticism?
    Holy **** CA, truly brilliant.
    "I don't expect them to fight, I expect them to die."
    - Elector Count Mikael Ludenhof

Maybe it's just my experiences, but every person I've talked to about Three Kingdoms in any of the communities I'm a part of with Total War players know exactly what Romance of The Three Kingdoms is - A 14th Century Historical Fiction Novel. So it is technically a fictional story in a non-fictional setting using the names and appearances of some real people - but it is fiction none the less.

Most of the people I know who play Total War games dislike the game for the same reasons I tend to - from what I've seen it's going to be ****. I dislike most of the graphics, I dislike most of the changes, I'm not too fond of the setting, I'm not too fond of CA's recent business practices in regards to DLC and pricing, and I dislike how many people feel the need to stubbornly defend it just because it's a Total War Game and they're trying their best! Inversely, I dislike people who hate the game because, "Ching Chong Man Bad!"

They have every right to let their complaints be heard through the Steam reviews just as you have a right to leave your support and love for the game. If the people who dislike the game outnumber those who do - tough ****.

As for me and mine - I sure as hell won't be buying Three Kingdoms, certainly not at launch, and I would advise others to do the same.
    I don't understand why you go out of your way to visit and read these forums when you know you hate everything about it. If I dislike Dragon Age, I don't go to the Dragon Age forums and make sure everyone knows how much I dislike it. I spend time on things I like.
  • juankkjuankk Posts: 165Registered Users
    Naval battles
  • poljananpoljanan Posts: 29Registered Users
    Lol I disagree about what you people think about hate.

"Hatred is the Emperor's greatest gift."
    -anonymous quote, Warhammer 40k

Hatred, division and conflict is what makes life so exciting imo, which is why 90% of video games is murdering the ever loving **** out everyone else.
    As Balthasar Gelt puts it, "NO PEACE, JUST WAR"

So yeah, I say let the masses riot.
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Posts: 189Registered Users
    tfwoods3 said:

I don't understand why you go out of your way to visit and read these forums when you know you hate everything about it. If I dislike Dragon Age, I don't go to the Dragon Age forums and make sure everyone knows how much I dislike it. I spend time on things I like.
    The poster claimed he was an older player and fan of the TW franchise and is not pleased with the direction it's taking.
    Are you going to discredit his concerns, just because he doesn't like the game and other people that don't have other reasons for hating it, while his are rational?
    Did you even read his post? You're just lumping him with people who blindly hate it because he doesn't conform with your view.
    Exactly what was said earlier. People will be divisive on this game, there's no doubt about it.
    edited February 7

tfwoods3 said:

The poster claimed he was an older player and fan of the TW franchise and is not pleased with the direction it's taking.
    Are you going to discredit his concerns, just because he doesn't like the game and other people that don't have other reasons for hating it, while his are rational?
    Did you even read his post? You're just lumping him with people who blindly hate it because he doesn't conform with your view.
    Exactly what was said earlier. People will be divisive on this game, there's no doubt about it.
    No I just read his last post. But using my example, I loved Dragon Age 1, what followed I hated, I would talk about it if the opportunity came up, but I didn't go log in to the forums and try to crap on everyone else's enjoyment.
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Posts: 189Registered Users
    tfwoods3 said:

tfwoods3 said:

No I just read his last post. But using my example, I loved Dragon Age 1, what followed I hated, I would talk about it if the opportunity came up, but I didn't go log in to the forums and try to crap on everyone else's enjoyment.
    If you voiced your opinion in a constructive manner, they could have improved upon the 1st game instead of disappointing the original audience with the sequel.
    People blindly praising a game and defending it are as bad as the people hating on it.
    poljanan said:

Hatred, division and conflict is what makes life so exciting imo, which is why 90% of video games is murdering the ever loving **** out everyone else.

No wonder you had to resort to an anonymous quote from a fictional universe.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 8,557Registered Users

poljanan said:

No wonder you had to resort to an anonymous quote from a fictional universe.
    iirc the Quote he credits to Gelt also is either from Karl Franz or even a "generic" imperial general or faction leader line
    Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman!

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 553Registered Users
    Bjorn said:

Bjorn said:

I could write a huge post that specifically does not suit me and the like, but why?
    Even if in my opinion it will be a weighty argument, the developers still will not listen. They have certain installations. And they will not listen to an ordinary player like me. What to talk about, if they do not even communicate with the community, do not talk about their intentions.
    I’m an old fan of the series and I’m not very happy where my favorite series of games is going.

Even if I manage to convince you and a couple of people it will not change the situation.

I think it's perfectly valid to not like where the franchise going. However, I consider myself a long term Total War fan as well, having played every title since Medieval 1, and I am pretty excited about Three Kingdoms and a lot of the design direction.

I'm sure if you shared a well written critique of a TW game that the developers would indeed listen/read. However, listening and agreeing are not the same thing, and then not every suggestion is even possible.

CA certainly have not been masters of communication. However, when CA has been frank and direct about what they were wanting to accomplish, why they did certain things, and why they did not do others, the community simply has not displayed the maturity to handle it.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 787Registered Users

Bjorn said:

Bjorn said:

I think it's perfectly valid to not like where the franchise going. However, I consider myself a long term Total War fan as well, having played every title since Medieval 1, and I am pretty excited about Three Kingdoms and a lot of the design direction.

I'm sure if you shared a well written critique of a TW game that the developers would indeed listen/read. However, listening and agreeing are not the same thing, and then not every suggestion is even possible.

CA certainly have not been masters of communication. However, when CA has been frank and direct about what they were wanting to accomplish, why they did certain things, and why they did not do others, the community simply has not displayed the maturity to handle it.
    Speak for yourself. I’m part of this community as are others who have always been constructive in their criticism due to their love for the total war franchise. Yes there are people who misbehave. Best is to ignore them. When no one replies the fun of trolling is quickly over.
    edited February 7
    poljanan said:

I quote Zhuge Kongming, this man quotes Warhammer.

Normally I'd scoff at this, but it's a Total War discussion, so you know what? I'm onboard with this.

As far as your take, you actually kind of have a good point. It's engaging and fun to debate people who are passionate about their stance, even if that stance is aggressively negative. The drawback is that such debates tend to not be very fruitful and don't really lead to anything constructive for the game, but it's still fun.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 15,566Registered Users
    poljanan said:

Would you like to live in the 40k universe? I wouldn't.

• ArecBalrinArecBalrin Posts: 1,272Registered Users
    Good.

However you want to characterise those you disagree with, or imbue people who say idiotic and bigoted things with an importance that do not deserve: 'true art' is divisive. It art did not invite comment of all kinds, it wouldn't be worth creating to begin with.

This matters, because it means I have been wrong about something regarding my own disappointment with the Total War series: it is actually 'true art' and therefore not-dead and able to change, something I've wanted from it for a long time.

It lives because people still care enough to call it brilliant, exciting, bland and terrible.
  • juankkjuankk Posts: 165Registered Users
    I’m critic cause I don’t find fair sacrify siege weapons ( siege towers, etc ) naval battles to improve campaign, it looks like in order to get improvements we have to say goodbye other features
    LESAMA said:

Bjorn said:

Bjorn said:

Speak for yourself. I’m part of this community as are others who have always been constructive in their criticism due to their love for the total war franchise. Yes there are people who misbehave. Best is to ignore them. When no one replies the fun of trolling is quickly over.
    lol, I mean I am speaking for myself, so mission accomplished?

You are part of the community, but you are not the 'whole' community. CA's entire communication method can't be decided according to how you respond, nor can it be determined just on how trolls respond.

In my humble opinion, when CA has tried to be forthcoming with their intentions and rational, a large segment of the community has been outright hostile. That does not mean you were, nor does it mean everyone was. However, enough have been, that what should have been positive experiences have been skewed negative.
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Posts: 1,272Registered Users
    I'll believe CA are forthcoming when I see it.

I haven't seen it.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 2,266Registered Users
    It may seem to some people that CA ignores their requests but there is a simple reason for this.

Fans: "Where's the Native Americans in Empire????"
    CA: "Fine here's a DLC"
    Fans: "Why've you added Native Americans?? Boring!"
    CA: :#
    juankk said:

I’m critic cause I don’t find fair sacrify siege weapons ( siege towers, etc ) naval battles to improve campaign, it looks like in order to get improvements we have to say goodbye other features

Critiquing the siege aspect in Three Kingdoms is legit as it is actually part of the game, I'm not sure I am a fan of your repeated threads on the same subject though.

Critiquing naval warfare in Three Kingdoms, is like going to the store, buying a card game, and then complaining that the card game does not have any dice, when the maker never said it would have dice.