Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I am outside Altdorf about to attack and.....

AvartAvart Posts: 79Registered Users
Volkmar stops recruiting and goes out of the city...Seems strange but why .......................

To use the zone of control to block me from attacking the city!!!!!!!! So i have to do the round from the other side!!!!!

I mean.....What kind of an AI is this...Give something to the player

I always quicksave so i can reload and not lose the army movement.. Because there is no indication where an army goes when you click or the route it will take..

Something to consider

Comments

• Mstewa30Mstewa30 Posts: 337Registered Users
    If u hold it down before you move, it shows u the route.

Looks like u got out smarted by the AI ;)
  • AvartAvart Posts: 79Registered Users
    Mstewa30 said:

If u hold it down before you move, it shows u the route.

Looks like u got out smarted by the AI ;)

It does?
    Look like it got me yes.:P
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 987Registered Users
    Lightning strike would fix those AI shenanigans.
    FrostPaw said:

I have LS.. It is not possible to attack ..Zone of control and that narrow bridge to Altdorf.

Avart said:

FrostPaw said:

I have LS.. It is not possible to attack ..Zone of control and that narrow bridge to Altdorf.

Not possible with full move range or do you not have enough move left this turn?
    Finished my turn outside the city..Volkmar did that in Empire turn.My turn .. way blocked Sigvald and gang started moving the other side.

Reloaded to check twice.AI calculated precisely.
    Avart said:

Finished my turn outside the city..Volkmar did that in Empire turn.My turn .. way blocked Sigvald and gang started moving the other side.

Reloaded to check twice.AI calculated precisely.

Strange, I didn't think it was possible to block a full move attack. Might be worth a bug report if you still have the save, clearly the AI is very precisely and intentionally doing this, I would consider that an exploit and not intended.
    I doubt my friend that it is a bug...You have to see it.

He goes out of the city just standing next to it...Obviously auto-resolve is against the AI so the next thing programmed to do is this.
    edited February 11
    Avart said:

He goes out of the city just standing next to it...Obviously auto-resolve is against the AI so the next thing programmed to do is this.

If it's not a bug, justify a logical reason with an unmoved army, why you cannot attack. Zones of control should prevent nearby passing or prevention of passage if your remaining move does not allow range to reach an attack move... If you have the move allowance, there is no reason I can think of, why it should be prevented, aside from a bug or conflict within the games rules.
  • HarkovastHarkovast Posts: 1,433Registered Users
    Volkmar= tactical genius.
    For The Lady, for Manann, for Bordeleaux!
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 1,886Registered Users
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,049Registered Users
    Avart said:

Volkmar stops recruiting and goes out of the city...Seems strange but why .......................

To use the zone of control to block me from attacking the city!!!!!!!! So i have to do the round from the other side!!!!!

I always quicksave so i can reload and not lose the army movement.. Because there is no indication where an army goes when you click or the route it will take..

Something to consider

So you can no longer abuse the attack move to bypass control zones?

That sounds great, I always hated that.

• CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,659Registered Users, Moderators

Avart said:

Something to consider

So you can no longer abuse the attack move to bypass control zones?

That sounds great, I always hated that.
    Here is hoping that it applies everywhere!
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,629Registered Users
    You could always attack Volkmar first.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer
    FrostPaw said:

Avart said:

If it's not a bug, justify a logical reason with an unmoved army, why you cannot attack. Zones of control should prevent nearby passing or prevention of passage if your remaining move does not allow range to reach an attack move... If you have the move allowance, there is no reason I can think of, why it should be prevented, aside from a bug or conflict within the games rules.
    It is simple really...The city has zone of control.Having a Lord camped next to it blocks movement and attacking from that side.
    I have seen it before when i tried to attack a city with a port from sea.It is rare but it is possible to block.
    Anyway next turn Volkmar moved back in the city.Altdorf is ruins or ...was..Middenland took it now.
  • MaleAmazonMaleAmazon Senior Member Posts: 657Registered Users
    I am not sure what you are trying to do here.. I mean do you mean you really WANT a siege? Otherwise like Wyvax said you should be able to attack Volkmar. Enemy armies (or better, single lords) standing right outside a city is a Christmas gift. You can attack them and the city garrison will come as reinforcements meaning you get to annihilate the garrison in a field battle. I just took Naggarond with Carcassonne that way.

I am not sure what you are trying to do here.. I mean do you mean you really WANT a siege? Otherwise like Wyvax said you should be able to attack Volkmar. Enemy armies (or better, single lords) standing right outside a city is a Christmas gift. You can attack them and the city garrison will come as reinforcements meaning you get to annihilate the garrison in a field battle. I just took Naggarond with Carcassonne that way.

My friend. Zone of Control blocking any movement or attack.The AI stood there to block anything i wanted to do with lightinging strike or not it didnt matter.

You shall not pass Gandalf style
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,049Registered Users
    Avart said:

My friend. Zone of Control blocking any movement or attack.The AI stood there to block anything i wanted to do with lightinging strike or not it didnt matter.

Were you in a stance that doesn't allow attacking? Because you could always attack Volkmar first if he was in range. What you say makes little sense otherwise.

Avart said:

Were you in a stance that doesn't allow attacking? Because you could always attack Volkmar first if he was in range. What you say makes little sense otherwise.
    Well if you dont believe thats fine..Reloaded twice the save to realize what the AI did.
  • MaleAmazonMaleAmazon Senior Member Posts: 657Registered Users
    edited February 12

Well that sounds like a bug then, or an oversight on your part (are you sure you targeted Volkmar and not the city, the targeting can be a bit twitchy...). City ZOC does not prevent attacking an army next to it.

I guess it is possible that it was the pathing in that specific area 'narrow bridge to Altdorf' that meant you could not bypass the city to attack Volkmar since there was no actual room, but then that would be a fluke quite frankly. Pathing can occasionally be messy like when you want to land 2 armies right by a city and the last fleet stops after being blocked by the first that has landed, but it can be beached manually if you click all over the landing grounds.

I doubt it was deliberate on the AI´s part though, more likely it realised it did not want to be annihilated in the city and so exited it, any blocking of attack was probably just coincidence.

Well that sounds like a bug then, or an oversight on your part (are you sure you targeted Volkmar and not the city, the targeting can be a bit twitchy...). City ZOC does not prevent attacking an army next to it.

I guess it is possible that it was the pathing in that specific area 'narrow bridge to Altdorf' that meant you could not bypass the city to attack Volkmar since there was no actual room, but then that would be a fluke quite frankly. Pathing can occasionally be messy like when you want to land 2 armies right by a city and the last fleet stops after being blocked by the first that has landed, but it can be beached manually if you click all over the landing grounds.

I doubt it was deliberate on the AI´s part though, more likely it realised it did not want to be annihilated in the city and so exited it, any blocking of attack was probably just coincidence.
    I could not attack both.CA can tell us if the AI can do that kind of action.Block through zone of control in narrow paths.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,033Registered Users
    edited February 12
    Sounds like an unintended side effect of the map.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Posts: 1,769Registered Users
    Avart said:

Avart said:

Well if you dont believe thats fine..Reloaded twice the save to realize what the AI did.
    Do you have screenshots or something? Because everytime I ran into a situation like this it can simply be solved by attacking the army outside the city.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft