Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chinese community response to Unit Cards

takilung31takilung31 Posts: 658Registered Users
edited February 11 in General Discussion
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6031160126?pn=1

I made a thread a while back in regards to Unit Cards, the majority of ppl are not happy with the changes (I'm Brit Chinese just to be clear), though the response in here is more acceptable compared to western players

I also made a reddit thread in regards to Unit Cards, which most ppl agreed that this should not be the final version

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/aosme4/how_3k_unit_cards_should_look/

My suggestion is, either rework the unit cards, or gives us the players the option to switch from faceless / face with colors. Since we have both Romance and Records mode, it made no sense that in records mode soldiers will become faceless, since soldiers play a massive role in any battle, heck Zhang Fei was killed by his own men/ troops

Post edited by takilung31 on

Comments

• LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 927Registered Users
    I can only say I fully agree. But i’m Afraid this close to release (23 may) they will have there hands full at fixing what let to the shift in release date. It didn’t get postponed just to polish the game. Also ca made it clear it was a design choice due to the emphasis on characters. Although these is an awkward argument for record modes.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 1,333Registered Users
    @takilung31 , have you been keeping tabs on how the Chinese or Asian community feels about the game?

Just out of curiosity, what's the general attitude of those players? Are they excited? Do they hate it? Are they even aware it exists?
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 9,213Registered Users
    Some people didn't liked the unit cards in Rome 2 as well, it's unlikely that CA would change the unit cards because it would require much work, and CA had made the unit cards like that on purpose.
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    While I personally don't mind those unit cards, I think I can understand why CA made them so bland. Notice the contrast between the character portraits and the unit cards? If we had something like WH-style unit cards, it may not be visually appealing as there would be an overload of visual information.

However, something less flashy like the shogun 2 unit cards could definitely work. Doubt we will see a change though. Besides, no units cards have been released without controversy (apart from the Warhammer ones).
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 658Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

Some people didn't liked the unit cards in Rome 2 as well, it's unlikely that CA would change the unit cards because it would require much work, and CA had made the unit cards like that on purpose.

Yep I know, but we the community should provide feedback, EG CA made woman in 3K follows their husband's name, and it was fixed shortly after. Unit Cards is something that can easily be replaced and it not much of a hard work compared to adding Romance mode + Records mode for example
    LESAMA said:

I can only say I fully agree. But i’m Afraid this close to release (23 may) they will have there hands full at fixing what let to the shift in release date. It didn’t get postponed just to polish the game. Also ca made it clear it was a design choice due to the emphasis on characters. Although these is an awkward argument for record modes.

Fixing/ Polishing is important in the current state, obviously in game battle should be on the highest priority right now. It is indeed weird how they want to emphasis on characters but in Records mode everyone will still be faceless

@takilung31 , have you been keeping tabs on how the Chinese or Asian community feels about the game?

Just out of curiosity, what's the general attitude of those players? Are they excited? Do they hate it? Are they even aware it exists?

Majority of ppl (Chinese) at least that i know off will buy the game right off the bat just to support the game, so they can possibly add Cathay onto Warhammer 3 as well as future games where it relates to China (EG Mongol invasion, Song Dynasty etc)

Remember this when the Chinese community visits CA headquarters to talk about 3K? its something similar
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/7soopg/translation_chinese_total_war_community_member/
    https://www.bilibili.com/video/av18615598/

Japanese and Korean players should also be happy with this, thought I can't speak for them, there are plenty of 3K trailers in Korean on youtube for example

• united84united84 Posts: 355Registered Users
    I dislike the unit cards but more so the lacked of attention they are showing to the historical flagship.

I dare to say, they will not change the unit cards. It is a design choice by the developers, it is just like adding female generals which is a design choice and it is still there despite all the SJW bashing which was even more intense.

Hence, you are better off waiting for mods if this game ever comes out in 2019.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,223Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Personal comment. I've no problem with the unit cards. They've never been a focal point in any of the Total War games I've played. (All of them.)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 889Registered Users
    dge1 said:

Personal comment. I've no problem with the unit cards. They've never been a focal point in any of the Total War games I've played. (All of them.)

So I do not like them, but im not fighting for them to change because I think its mute at this point. As to your comment, im having a hard time beleving you never choose your units on the field from the cards.

When done right, they make that one elite archer unit in a squad of archers stand out more. Maybe he has a red background, or he's wearing blue armor, but the portraits usually give quickly obvious 'loud' ways to pick your unit. Usually.
  • zellyzelly Posts: 31Registered Users
    edited February 12
    united84 said:

I dislike the unit cards but more so the lacked of attention they are showing to the historical flagship.

I dare to say, they will not change the unit cards. It is a design choice by the developers, it is just like adding female generals which is a design choice and it is still there despite all the SJW bashing which was even more intense.

Hence, you are better off waiting for mods if this game ever comes out in 2019.

Honestly it just feels lazy on CA's part.

I know some will try and defend it with "it's to make the character cards stand out!"
    Pretty sure you can make decent looking unit cards while still having character cards stand out without any problem, hell even the dimensions of the character cards are twice the size of the unit cards, that should be enough to "stand out"...
    Post edited by zelly on
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,223Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Yaafm said:

dge1 said:

So I do not like them, but im not fighting for them to change because I think its mute at this point. As to your comment, im having a hard time beleving you never choose your units on the field from the cards.

When done right, they make that one elite archer unit in a squad of archers stand out more. Maybe he has a red background, or he's wearing blue armor, but the portraits usually give quickly obvious 'loud' ways to pick your unit. Usually.
    I usually select the units I want based on the specific unit details showing when I recruit them, and the money I have available. That will obviously change over the course of a campaign. I no longer play MP so I don't worry about the any more. What the units look like doesn't really mean anything to me. What they can do, and how I think they may fit into the role I want them to play is what I'm looking for. Just a personal thing on what and how I play a game.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    dge1 said:

Yaafm said:

dge1 said:

I usually select the units I want based on the specific unit details showing when I recruit them, and the money I have available. That will obviously change over the course of a campaign. I no longer play MP so I don't worry about the any more. What the units look like doesn't really mean anything to me. What they can do, and how I think they may fit into the role I want them to play is what I'm looking for. Just a personal thing on what and how I play a game.
    Uh, yes? Of course. You pick units based on the situation/funds/army make up, not what they look like, that would make no sense. But in battle, to quickly identify units, having strongly diffrent art on the cards makes it easier to identify.
  • TheWittyWatermelomTheWittyWatermelom Member Posts: 121Registered Users
    dge1 said:

I never had any issue with them in any game except Rome 2. They were truly the worst. I used to click a unit but I couldn't even tell which unit I had selected because the cards colour scheme made it very bright. So even the selected cards that were lit up were hard to pick up. Even the art direction in Rome 2 cards I wasn't a fan of. It was the first and only time I had an issue with unit cards.
  • Dune2kDune2k Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    in my opinion Rome 2 original 2d art units cards were the best cards.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,453Registered Users
    dge1 said:

they only need to be ocnfortable and the unit represented should be easily identified, Attila unit cards were very user friendly, shogun 2 too, but Rome 2 and 3k not that much
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • ZoRobinZoRobin Posts: 179Registered Users
    Yup. The unit cards are horrible and hopefully they can change it.
    Iru
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 2,778Registered Users
    I can see why they've done it, it's a kind of fog of war but the parts that allow you to recognise immediately what the unit is stands out. It's a well thought out way of using them.

Tayvar said:

Yep I know, but we the community should provide feedback, EG CA made woman in 3K follows their husband's name, and it was fixed shortly after. Unit Cards is something that can easily be replaced and it not much of a hard work compared to adding Romance mode + Records mode for example.
    Editing a character's name take nowhere near as much work as making a new art for him, also CA had made a mistake with the women names in the game, so they acknowledge the mistake and fixed that, there is no mistake with the unit cards, it's totally a matter of taste and design choice, a choice that CA already made. Also the romance mode is the main mode anyway, and CA was fairly clear about that.
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
  • 4uk4ata4uk4ata Posts: 866Registered Users
    The silhouette cards are a weird decision, tbh, I always thought it was a beta thing. The interface is all about presentation, and having something that appears obviously incomplete when so many other things are polished just feels wrong for a premium game.

Land is Kislev, Kislev is Land! We are Kislev!

Proud Elspeth von Draken partisan
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 1,333Registered Users
    I quite liked the Rome 2 unit cards actually... never had an issue telling units apart either.

The idea that the unit cards are designed so that more emphasis is put on the characters in comparison doesn't fly with me at all to be honest. The Character portraits are already twice the size the regular unit cards, and way more detailed to boot, so you're hardly going to click on a unit of pitchfork-wielding peasants by mistake thinking that it was Lu Bu.

Plus, from a UI functionality standpoint, they really don't seem to do the job they're meant for. You can't tell "at-a-glance" what some units are; they all just look like grey smudges with some brown blots for equipment.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 927Registered Users
    Yeah agreed. Unit cards look to identical in the heat of battle. Not to mention the Ji (pike) vs Ye warriors (pike) which share the same unit card. Also elite units don't look elite at all if you look at their cards.

I must say though that the yellow turban ones seem better. There seems to be more colour in them and emphasis on the (head/armour) gear. If CA could make some adjustments more in line with the yellow turbans I think it would be a nice step forward.

dge1 said:

I never had any issue with them in any game except Rome 2. They were truly the worst. I used to click a unit but I couldn't even tell which unit I had selected because the cards colour scheme made it very bright. So even the selected cards that were lit up were hard to pick up. Even the art direction in Rome 2 cards I wasn't a fan of. It was the first and only time I had an issue with unit cards.
    CA changed the unit cards for Rome 2, but it happen only in the Campaign Pack, CA might change the unit cards for Three Kingdoms too, but it also can happen only in Campaign Pack for it.
    edited February 12
    Tayvar said:

As someone who mods. Re creating new unit cards would be something very easy to do. There's two mode bear in mind which has record mode so it's not just about romance. They never said they won't change the unit cards

If the game is released as of now if you read the comments on reddit and such a lot of ppl are not happy with the unit cards

As much as I love 3k if after 2 months of delay and we still have those faceless / blurred units, same in records then the game will have one of my negative review due to bad design. Many ppl would do the same, this is a big issue same with battles.

I also play Multiplayer and mods is not an option here since we are forced and I prefer vanilla

Post edited by takilung31 on

• mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,099Registered Users

Tayvar said:

As someone who mods. Re creating new unit cards would be something very easy to do. There's two mode bear in mind which has record mode so it's not just about romance. They never said they won't change the unit cards

If the game is released as of now if you read the comments on reddit and such a lot of ppl are not happy with the unit cards

As much as I love 3k if after 2 months of delay and we still have those faceless / blurred units, same in records then the game will have one of my negative review due to bad design. Many ppl would do the same, this is a big issue same with battles.

I also play Multiplayer and mods is not an option here since we are forced and I prefer vanilla

So if the unit cards are not changed, you will ignored everything else you may like about the game? Seems a bit harsh.

So if the unit cards are not changed, you will ignored everything else you may like about the game? Seems a bit harsh.

No I love the history of 3K since i grow up with it and everything, but Battles is the biggest issue right now, Unit Cards is also part of the battle, it will just ruined the immersion if everyone is faceless, mod is not possible when you play multiplayer, the current design is really bad like really. most ppl on reddit and such have already expressed the same so feel free to look those up. i want 3K to be success as much as possible so more ppl will get into 3K, but new players who are new to total war most ppl would not be happy with these cards

No I love the history of 3K since i grow up with it and everything, but Battles is the biggest issue right now, Unit Cards is also part of the battle, it will just ruined the immersion if everyone is faceless, mod is not possible when you play multiplayer, the current design is really bad like really. most ppl on reddit and such have already expressed the same so feel free to look those up. i want 3K to be success as much as possible so more ppl will get into 3K, but new players who are new to total war most ppl would not be happy with these cards
    Actually I agree. New players to the game, would think the cards are unfinished or lazy. Someone without a previous formes opinion, I think, would not be impressed by the artistic choice