Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

"Character Building" my Generals

The_ArchpaladinThe_Archpaladin Senior MemberPosts: 169Registered Users
Since it looks like ToB is more or less "complete" now with DLC and patches and whatnot, I decided to ease back into it, and have been wondering how best to build my generals and other faction leader types as they grow in level. The most control I have seems to be which followers to level up, but I'm not sure if I should put all points into a specific follower or select one or two to split the points among. Are there any Followers who are better than others overall? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. It feels good to get back into this game again!

Comments

• nodulousnodulous Senior Member Posts: 916Registered Users
    I don't know about better, but I usually go for getting there fastest with the mostest. The quartermaster boosts move and reduces upkeep.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    Depends what you want them for.
    • Bards are useful for everyone (at least one point) to boost PO/replenishment.
    • Scribes obv. on governors.
    • Priests on anyone disloyal, and I've increasingly been using them on governors as well due to the movement penalty for enemies in the province.
    • Pillagers are very useful on generals (+supplies and raiding income for you, - morale and supplies for enemies).
    • Champions are useful on field generals since in TOB you will want to get your general into melee with just about any faction, but probably more essential for Welsh/Gaelic factions as their cav generals have many fewer men (+command and +armour important) and do a lot more charging.
    • Quartermasters are situational - necessary, at least in the early game, for factions up north (Sudreyar, Circenn, Strat Clut; less so but still useful for Mide) due to the large territories you have to defend with limited troops; but I've played without them just fine further south.
    • Forager's I've started using less, because of the food fluctuations when they enter/leave your territories (or die) but they can be a useful boost in the early game and the max level perk for cold immunity can be handy up north.
    • I've never used a siege engineer - in theory, if you had a dedicated siege army in the late game or a border province coming constantly under attack, a few points there could be useful; but I've never seen the need.
    As to whether you want to go with just one or two … up to you, and what your needs and wants are. There are some where the T5 perks are really worth it (again, mainly the forager; also scribes for governors) but most you can mix & match without missing out too much.

It's also worth looking at how the different perks might fit together for particular builds. I tend to favour versatility so use a couple basic builds on my generals and governors, but there are some interesting possibilities for specializing, too. E.g. you could build a 'catch and kill' general with priest and quartermaster followers to slow enemies while speeding your own forces; or there's been an intriguing mention elsewhere on these forums of a 'raider' build focusing on a priest/pillager combo which focuses on disrupting the enemy on offense (+raiding, -enemy PO) and attrition on defense (-enemy movement, supplies, morale)
  • The_ArchpaladinThe_Archpaladin Senior Member Posts: 169Registered Users
    tak22 said:

Depends what you want them for.

• Bards are useful for everyone (at least one point) to boost PO/replenishment.
    • Scribes obv. on governors.
    • Priests on anyone disloyal, and I've increasingly been using them on governors as well due to the movement penalty for enemies in the province.
    • Pillagers are very useful on generals (+supplies and raiding income for you, - morale and supplies for enemies).
    • Champions are useful on field generals since in TOB you will want to get your general into melee with just about any faction, but probably more essential for Welsh/Gaelic factions as their cav generals have many fewer men (+command and +armour important) and do a lot more charging.
    • Quartermasters are situational - necessary, at least in the early game, for factions up north (Sudreyar, Circenn, Strat Clut; less so but still useful for Mide) due to the large territories you have to defend with limited troops; but I've played without them just fine further south.
    • Forager's I've started using less, because of the food fluctuations when they enter/leave your territories (or die) but they can be a useful boost in the early game and the max level perk for cold immunity can be handy up north.
    • I've never used a siege engineer - in theory, if you had a dedicated siege army in the late game or a border province coming constantly under attack, a few points there could be useful; but I've never seen the need.
    As to whether you want to go with just one or two … up to you, and what your needs and wants are. There are some where the T5 perks are really worth it (again, mainly the forager; also scribes for governors) but most you can mix & match without missing out too much.

It's also worth looking at how the different perks might fit together for particular builds. I tend to favour versatility so use a couple basic builds on my generals and governors, but there are some interesting possibilities for specializing, too. E.g. you could build a 'catch and kill' general with priest and quartermaster followers to slow enemies while speeding your own forces; or there's been an intriguing mention elsewhere on these forums of a 'raider' build focusing on a priest/pillager combo which focuses on disrupting the enemy on offense (+raiding, -enemy PO) and attrition on defense (-enemy movement, supplies, morale)
    This is incredibly helpful! Thank you!