Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Forest Goblin Great Shaman - What that would bring.

2»

Comments

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 2,615
    Itharus said:

FYI -- giant spiders are the normal spiders that spider riders ride.

GIGANTIC SPIDERS... are SUPPOSED to be troll-sized giant spiders that are even nastier/bigger than regular giant spiders.

In this game there's no difference what soever.

They do that a lot... they seem to have forgotten that mounts have their own stat lines. Giant Wolves are actually fairly wicked too, so are the boars that orcs ride. Greenskins don't ride sissy horses. They ride nasty stuff.

Kinda like they fail to realize that a wolf rider and a wolf rider archer are both equally good in melee -- the only difference is weapon choice. They remembered it for the game 2 races (see ellyrian reavers or whatever the hell they are called, for instance)... but they forgot all about it in game 1.

There's some major revampage that still needs to happen.

Yep. I have some giant spider riders in my mother's attic who look a bit like this guy...

Altogether different, although the new giant spider models look a bit bigger. A gigantic spider would require a new model and animations etc. though so I guess that's why it got skipped.

In TT, the giant wolves goblins ride have WS3 S3 attacks compared to a goblin's WS3 S2. Melee was where they were most dangerous. Bows were just a bonus volley or two to soften up the enemy, really.

This is a different game, though, and I find balancing discussions tend to lead around a circular avenue of pain.

Orc and Goblin units had a lot of strengths in TT that were partly offset by special rules like animosity and stupidity and the high risk of friendly fire / dysfunctionality. It hasn't all translated across properly... apart from the lack of air support, obviously. That still stings.

There are so many things that could make the GS roster feel more "proper". Some of them would surely be massively positive, some may have drawbacks, some might even wreck balance. It's a sticky wicket. "Major revampage" is what I would say we need too, but I fear we won't get much.
  • AvadonAvadon Registered Users Posts: 1,545

Avadon said:

Greetings passionate forumites, brave companions and sneaky ratmen all.

I am bringing my "big voice" to this one, rather than leaving it in the hands of my Niblit alter-ego.

So what are Forest Goblins? You've seen them already. They ride the spiders in the game with spear and bow variants. They also ride the Arachnaroks. Forest Gobbos live in the forests. They wear feathers and not a lot else. They use poisons probably better than any other gobbo. Many of them worship the biggest spiders as gods and have even formed a Spider Cult. Only they have managed to "tame" the mighty Arachnarok spiders. Whether the spider is under some kind of special Forest Gobbo shamanistic spell or simply likes being worshipped as a god is unclear, but they have grown tolerant of the little green savages that climb on their backs.

I want a Forest Goblin Great Shaman to be added to this game. Heck, I think it could even replace the Night Goblin Great Shaman that currently exists entirely, if need be.

Why?

1. Because we already have a Night Goblin Warlord for leading your Night Gobbos. We have a Night Goblin Shaman hero too. We have a regular (plains) Goblin Big Boss. What we don't have is a Forest Goblin character. Variety is the spice of life, yo... and the Spice must flow...

2. Themed armies. Orcs can lead orcs. Nigh Gobbo Warlords can lead Night Gobbos. Forest Gobbo Great Shamans could lead Forest Gobbos! That is an option GS don't currently have. Banding all the notoriously competitive and hostile gobbos together is feasible, but I love the idea of a Forest Goblin force doing it's own spidery thing. It would be a nice front for the Black Venom faction leader too.

3. Arachnarok spiders. That's right. I keep seeing it pop up around here. A Forest Goblin can ride an Arachnarok. Nobody else can. It's a lore thing and for any true gobbo, it's a very important matter. You wouldn't put Tyrion or Malekith on an Arachnarok, would you? Why would you stick a cave-dwelling Night Gobbo on a forest-dwelling spider? They are not compatible. Arachnaroks are famously unfriendly sorts, you know. It took many lifetimes and offerings (and gobbo snacks) for even Forest Gobbos to manage to build a rapport with a few of them.

So, how high a priority is this for me? High. It would fix some of the "samey" nature of GS leaders. Two lord types and a hero for Night Gobbos and nobody for Forest Gobbos is a boring oversight, to my mind. Why do we want two types of indistinguishable Night Goblin Shaman scuttling around on their footsies when we can have a Forest Goblin lording around on an enormous spider?

What do you guys think? Like the idea? Should this replace the existing Great Shaman or should they be available together?

Hilarious...a troll-flesh mutated Gretchin forgetting that the standard Goblin Warboss is supposed to have a "Gigantic Spider" mount while also forgetting the Catchweb Spidershrine...

Arachnarok spider...Venom Surge...I wonder if these mortals can make of it >:) ...
    Hey, edgy Chaos dude! What's it like in the warp this time of year?

Umm... We don't technically have a standard Goblin Warboss. Not aesthetically. It is clearly a Night Goblin. Nonetheless, gigantic spiders and Arachnarok spiders are also technically different things.

Here is a gigantic spider for ya...

Looks nice right? Lore-wise, his rider ought to look, well, "forest-y" to fit, even if there are no rule differences. Aesthetics matter!

Also I never mentioned the Catchweb because my expectations are small. That would be an extra step. It's not that important to me. I stopped playing after 6th edition and never used one. Forest Goblins in general however... Awesome! I want a character and why not a shaman one? Obviously the Catchweb would also be great as other people here have mentioned.

Avadon said:

Greetings passionate forumites, brave companions and sneaky ratmen all.

I am bringing my "big voice" to this one, rather than leaving it in the hands of my Niblit alter-ego.

So what are Forest Goblins? You've seen them already. They ride the spiders in the game with spear and bow variants. They also ride the Arachnaroks. Forest Gobbos live in the forests. They wear feathers and not a lot else. They use poisons probably better than any other gobbo. Many of them worship the biggest spiders as gods and have even formed a Spider Cult. Only they have managed to "tame" the mighty Arachnarok spiders. Whether the spider is under some kind of special Forest Gobbo shamanistic spell or simply likes being worshipped as a god is unclear, but they have grown tolerant of the little green savages that climb on their backs.

I want a Forest Goblin Great Shaman to be added to this game. Heck, I think it could even replace the Night Goblin Great Shaman that currently exists entirely, if need be.

Why?

1. Because we already have a Night Goblin Warlord for leading your Night Gobbos. We have a Night Goblin Shaman hero too. We have a regular (plains) Goblin Big Boss. What we don't have is a Forest Goblin character. Variety is the spice of life, yo... and the Spice must flow...

2. Themed armies. Orcs can lead orcs. Nigh Gobbo Warlords can lead Night Gobbos. Forest Gobbo Great Shamans could lead Forest Gobbos! That is an option GS don't currently have. Banding all the notoriously competitive and hostile gobbos together is feasible, but I love the idea of a Forest Goblin force doing it's own spidery thing. It would be a nice front for the Black Venom faction leader too.

3. Arachnarok spiders. That's right. I keep seeing it pop up around here. A Forest Goblin can ride an Arachnarok. Nobody else can. It's a lore thing and for any true gobbo, it's a very important matter. You wouldn't put Tyrion or Malekith on an Arachnarok, would you? Why would you stick a cave-dwelling Night Gobbo on a forest-dwelling spider? They are not compatible. Arachnaroks are famously unfriendly sorts, you know. It took many lifetimes and offerings (and gobbo snacks) for even Forest Gobbos to manage to build a rapport with a few of them.

So, how high a priority is this for me? High. It would fix some of the "samey" nature of GS leaders. Two lord types and a hero for Night Gobbos and nobody for Forest Gobbos is a boring oversight, to my mind. Why do we want two types of indistinguishable Night Goblin Shaman scuttling around on their footsies when we can have a Forest Goblin lording around on an enormous spider?

What do you guys think? Like the idea? Should this replace the existing Great Shaman or should they be available together?

Hilarious...a troll-flesh mutated Gretchin forgetting that the standard Goblin Warboss is supposed to have a "Gigantic Spider" mount while also forgetting the Catchweb Spidershrine...

Arachnarok spider...Venom Surge...I wonder if these mortals can make of it >:) ...
    Hey, edgy Chaos dude! What's it like in the warp this time of year?

Umm... We don't technically have a standard Goblin Warboss. Not aesthetically. It is clearly a Night Goblin. Nonetheless, gigantic spiders and Arachnarok spiders are also technically different things.

Here is a gigantic spider for ya...

Looks nice right? Lore-wise, his rider ought to look, well, "forest-y" to fit, even if there are no rule differences. Aesthetics matter!

Also I never mentioned the Catchweb because my expectations are small. That would be an extra step. It's not that important to me. I stopped playing after 6th edition and never used one. Forest Goblins in general however... Awesome! I want a character and why not a shaman one? Obviously the Catchweb would also be great as other people here have mentioned.
    CA will create a forest goblin warboss...we shall see...but...

These mortals are infected with the curse of avarice...just like those mortal organisations such as EA or the Blizzard killer "Activision"...

If we had more like this goblin...or as Kemmler puts it...poor specimens of your race...WH1 Chaos faction would have been hidden behind a pay wall...Mortal Empires would have never been introduced into WH2...continuation of paying a dlc for a dlc...no change in the approach CA have to updates that break mods or save games...no updates to WH1 races...no Vampire Coast...this list can go on...

As you greenskins so fondly state "might makes right!"...

P.S.

CA's arachnarok spirder is such a joke...

• SaurianDruidSaurianDruid Registered Users Posts: 1,602
    I would love this. Forest goblins are my favorite type of goblin, and a forest goblin great shaman would be different enough from the great shaman to warrant an inclusion by virtue of having access to the arachnorok mount.

You could maybe fluff them up a bit more too. Maybe give them stalk when unmounted or mounted on spiders so they can be a sneakier sort of caster. Or maybe give them a bound spell to summon spiders like the RoR arachnorok can.

Meanwhile the generic great shaman has the wolf mount. Maybe give them access to a wolf chariot too. It would be a cheaper and faster alternative to the spider riding forest goblin great shaman.