Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do you think CA will update Sartosa with Southern Realms DLC?

SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,413
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
I'm aware that Sartosa isn't supposed to be a vampire/undead faction and while playing as Aranessa I was just thinking that they could update the roster if they do a Southern Realms/Dogs of War DLC.

They might not get rid of the undead units entirely, perhaps they would just expand the roster, downplaying the Vampire Coast units by adding pirate variants of the Southern Realms units.

Her Sartosa militia units right now are just slight reskins of Empire units just like the rest of the Southern Realms has had since the release of the first game which I think adds some credence to the idea of a redesign.

Dogs of War certainly isn't high on my list of things I want to see, I'd much prefer Araby or the Amazon's beforehand, but if they do add them I'd love for them to expand on/redesign Sartosa too. What do you think? Is that something you'd like to see too?

Im doubtful that this will happen, but I honestly don't see any reason why not. People have been demanding mono god's since the first game came out, they've been speculating and hoping that the empire gets redesigned and allows for multiple start positions, perhaps diversifies the regions of the empire, adding unique units. Then there's the wood elves which CA themselves have said they want to redesign And list goes on.

My point being that many of the factions could do with a tune up and many people want them to change. Redesigning Sartosa or adding more human units to the faction seems to me like it'd be alot easier than what could and perhaps should be done to many of the first game factions. I'm simply bringing this up as an idea and trying to stimulate some discussion on the topic, I implore you to not wave it off with a "CA is to lazy so forget it"

I'm also not saying this should be a priority or take precedent over more important fixes or additions; it's just something they could revisit if they ever decide to update Vampire Coast or add Southern Realms/Dogs of War.
Post edited by SeanJeanquoi on

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 31,085
    I'd rather the effort go elsewhere. Saratosa is a VC2 capital now, no need to go changing that.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, Greater Demon of the Ogre Kingdoms, Teller of Truths, Enemy of Lies, Emperor of a lost Empire

• GCRustGCRust Registered Users Posts: 604
    I don't see CA fundamentally altering Saratosa in the event of future Southern Realms/Dogs of War content.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,132
    edited February 2019
    When player start play as Aranessa at 1 turn you can raise dead to 20 unit and start siege of Tilea, still on 1 turn.

Tilea can't be made playable faction by CA. Tilea main faction of Southern Realm.

I bet DoW will not include Southern Realm.
  • Rolf1989Rolf1989 Registered Users Posts: 499
    I wish their would change it, but there is no chance it'll actually happen.
  • AvadonAvadon Registered Users Posts: 1,545

I'd rather the effort go elsewhere. Saratosa is a VC2 capital now, no need to go changing that.

Lack of effort made it into a VC2 capital...is that what you would have from now on?..

• SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,413
    edited February 2019
    Edit: I'm going to add this on the end of my original post.

I doubt they will but I honestly don't see any reason why not. People have been demanding mono god's since the first game came out, they've been speculating and hoping that the empire gets redesigned and allows for multiple start positions, perhaps diversifies the regions of the empire, adding unique units. Then there's the wood elves which CA themselves have said they want to redesign And list goes on.

My point being that many of the factions could do with a tune up and many people want them to change. Redesigning Sartosa or adding more human units to the faction seems to me like it'd be alot easier than what could and perhaps should be done to many of the first game factions.
    Avadon said:

Lack of effort made it into a VC2 capital.
    I disagree.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, Greater Demon of the Ogre Kingdoms, Teller of Truths, Enemy of Lies, Emperor of a lost Empire

Edit: I'm going to add this on the end of my original post.

I doubt they will but I honestly don't see any reason why not. People have been demanding mono god's since the first game came out, they've been speculating and hoping that the empire gets redesigned and allows for multiple start positions, perhaps diversifies the regions of the empire, adding unique units. Then there's the wood elves which CA themselves have said they want to redesign And list goes on.

My point being that many of the factions could do with a tune up and many people want them to change. Redesigning Sartosa or adding more human units to the faction seems to me like it'd be alot easier than what could and perhaps should be done to many of the first game factions.

This begs the simple question; Would it be FLC or DLC?

Either way making Sartosa a unique race essentially all on its own would fall really low on the priority list for me.

Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2019
    @Vanilla_Gorilla I never said this should take precedent over other much needed changes or updates. In fact I even stipulated that Im not overly keen on Dogs of War DLC itself, there's plenty more I'd rather see, I'm merely bringing this up in a vacuum and saying 'what do you think?' and opening it up for discussion on what could be done to make Sartosa more unique, how could they fit into a possible southern realms DLC etc.
  • FredenFreden Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 411
    edited February 2019
    TEB is getting wiped out in a few turns and if they got buffed Sartosa & Dreadfleet would get wiped out or have nowhere to spread.
    I think they reason it is space already occupied for factions like Sartosa, Dreadfleet (& possibly Skaven). Just like Araby is occupied by Arkhan.

We would end up with a flood of topics like
    ”why do i NEVER get to face Sartosa!”
    ”Buff Sartosa! TEB wipe them out on turn 1!”
    Or the other way around if TEB is getting wiped out too fast.

And before you say ”make those areas larger with more cities” thats not so easily done, because somewhere you have to take the lore map into consideration.
    I guess you could divide the area into even more provinces and region but that would make it really cramped.

Its a difficult situation to say the least.

For now you have to make do with mods like Cataphs TEB & Nanu's Pirates of Sartosa Overhaul
    edited February 2019
    @Vanilla_Gorilla it would be neither DLC or Free-LC, not on its own, it'd just be an update to the faction. One that would most likely come along side a Southern Realms DLC as I said.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,377
    Probably not. Sartosa =/= Southern Realms, although I do think it would be a neat change.
    Mods would be your best bet.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    Would a mod making sartosa immune to vampiric corruption and mb a few new unique pirate units solve this?

I don’t think they deserve to be their own faction and Arabessa doesn’t deserve a rehaul.

They should have just had her turned into a vampire at the end of dread fleet.
    Surely all twelve of the dreadfleet fanbois can’t raise that loud of an outcry
    edited February 2019

@Vanilla_Gorilla I never said this should take precedent over other much needed changes or updates. In fact I even stipulated that Im not overly keen on Dogs of War DLC itself, there's plenty more I'd rather see, I'm merely bringing this up in a vacuum and saying 'what do you think?'

I apologize then.

Allow me to answer; I like Aranessa. I think she's pretty sweet. Ideally she'd get a nice combination VC2 / Pirate roster with the zombies replaced by pirates and the crabs replaced by living crabs with the other monsters kept as is. So yeah, roughly what you suggest, that'd be cool.

Forum Terms & Conditions

edited February 2019
    @Michael4537 @Mr_Finley7 one of the things I had in mind when starting this discussion was indeed the possibility that it might inspire a mod. I don't think Sartosa should be its own stand alone faction per say, I just think that expanding them would be so easy that theyd have to go out of their way not to do it if Southern Realms/Dogs of War are going to make their way to WH2 at some point.
    @Vanilla_Gorilla no need for an apology, my post was hastily put together, I perhaps didn't set up the proper pretence for this discussion.

As I understand it 'rotting leviathan's' are not just hermit crabs, they can be any number of giant sea creatures. If we wanted to expand that side of the faction you could set up a monster hunter mechanic for Sartosa similar to the one for Norsca where you sail the sea's looking for giant beasts to fight and tame. Although that would obviously require more effort on CA's part. Merwyrms are a potential sea beast missing from the vampire coast faction in general which could be added as another type of leviathan.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,110
    I'm fairly certain that Sartosa's ship has already sailed.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

• SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 2,719
    I don't see a problem there in regards to tilea. Yeah, they will have to look out for Sartosa... but keep in mind that tilea is a capital city, which means they would propably strengthen the garisson with Southern Realm units.

There is also diplomacy, to keep the VCs out of their hair.
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,349

@Vanilla_Gorilla I never said this should take precedent over other much needed changes or updates. In fact I even stipulated that Im not overly keen on Dogs of War DLC itself, there's plenty more I'd rather see, I'm merely bringing this up in a vacuum and saying 'what do you think?'

I apologize then.

Allow me to answer; I like Aranessa. I think she's pretty sweet. Ideally she'd get a nice combination VC2 / Pirate roster with the zombies replaced by pirates and the crabs replaced by living crabs with the other monsters kept as is. So yeah, roughly what you suggest, that'd be cool.
    I would love this. Basically a living version of the vamp coast. You'd imagine with the seas being taken over by vamps the normal pirates would be banding together at it's unofficial capital.

As for an actual update, I dont see it happening. Sartosa's undead, the vamps won the seas.

@Vanilla_Gorilla no need for an apology, my post was hastily put together, I perhaps didn't set up the proper pretence for this discussion.

As I understand it 'rotting leviathan's' are not just hermit crabs, they can be any number of giant sea creatures. If we wanted to expand that side of the faction you could set up a monster hunter mechanic for Sartosa similar to the one for Norsca where you sail the sea's looking for giant beasts to fight and tame. Although that would obviously require more effort on CA's part. Merwyrms are a potential sea beast missing from the vampire coast faction in general which could be added as another type of leviathan.

There is a mod that you can find here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1173094765&searchtext=sartosa. Can't say if it's any good, as I rarely use mods myself, but if you're interested it might be worth a shot.

And just a side note, Merwyrms are strictly a High Elf unit. But an undead version of one as an end-game reward would be very neat.
  • corvus_codexcorvus_codex Junior Member SpainRegistered Users Posts: 3,073
    They do not gonna add pay content to other pay content,
    "I am the harbinger of your demise. I am the nightmare in all mortals. I am the thing you fear the most. I am death..."
    —Valkia the Bloody.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 2,611
    The Sartosa situation has changed Tilea from a huge Southern Realms opportunity into pretty much just a Vampire Coast opportunity.

Vampire cove mechanics at least means there is a slightly higher possibility of peace if a player has control of Saltspite. At the end of the day though, if a Southern Realms LL arrives there it will be a tight squeeze with Skavenblight the other way (I used to think there might be an LL there too one day). There isn't much room for CA's standard "whipping boy to start" philosophy.

I don't see Aranessa's faction ever changing. For one thing, she is part of the Vampire Coast DLC. I can't see that as ever being a shortcut to part of another DLC's roster. It might be fun, but it isn't good business imho. They surely wouldn't want to encourage people to skip a DLC simply because they can already access a bunch of it through another. There is also the hope that Aranessa might get more of a unique faction of pirates, but I can't see that either. We don't have a Ghorgon or Jabberslythe yet, so why would we expect more of a living pirate roster to be belatedly added to a DLC for just one faction?

Still... I freaked out about Araby's chances when I saw Arkhan parked on their lawn and Bretonnia getting a tech based on their errantry factions. Then I freaked out about Aranessa's location turning TEB into undead. Yet CA say more DLC will come. There is surely still hope for some kind of implementation. It's all looking a bit cosy though.
    @Rikis wow now that you framed it like that.

The main goal of the Vampire coast factions is to hunt down other pirates and steal from them parts of a sea shanty right? So what if as Sartosa your actually at odds with the vampires, trying to rally all of the normal living pirates against these undead so that you can rule the seas for yourself.

Instead of hunting down other pirates your role could be to Confederate them before they are destroyed. This could unlock new units for you to recruit but instead of zombie RoR they could be pirate dwarfs, dark elves or something in keeping with how every pirate army is an amalgamation of different factions units.

Perhaps the pieces of eight/sea shanties aren't just something you get and then it's yours, they could change hands and your goal is to make sure you have them all at the same time. Once Aronessa has them all they could unlock some secret to beating the Vampires or give her the authority among living pirates to become a pirate queen of sorts and rally all rogue armies against VC.

I'm just spit balling here but I really like this direction it could go in.
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,310
    I would have prefer Sartosa as part of Southern Realms, but since they made it a vampire capitale, it's not a placeholder anymore, I don't see them going back on that.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,589
    Manlinessa Testospite should benefit from SR DLC. And she should get nautical themed mutants, whale people(confederation option with Direfin), shark people, octopus people and even starfish people. Land shark units(remodeled merwyrm/salamander) and all kinds of human shootas.
    @Grom_the_Paunch how would you be able to skip VC onto Southern Realms? Every time they add DLC they put the factions in the game for free and only make you pay to play as them. This would be no different: an update to a faction you still have to pay to unlock.

Can I ask what TEB is? I'm not down with all of the acronyms yet.

As I've said before I doubt they would make them unique in their own little update pack which is why I specified that this would likely come alongside Southern Realms/Dogs of War where it makes sense and could be something they patch while working on this.

@Grom_the_Paunch how would you be able to skip VC onto Southern Realms? Every time they add DLC they put the factions in the game for free and only make you pay to play as them. This would be no different: an update to a faction you still have to pay to unlock.

As I've said before I doubt they would make them unique in their own little update pack which is why I specified that this would likely come alongside Southern Realms/Dogs of War where it makes sense and could be something they patch while working on this.

TEB is Tilea, Estalia, and the Border Princes, aka Southern Realms.

@Michael4537 oh right thank you.

Anytime bud.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 2,611

Sorry about the acronym thing. Habits. I tried to put together a dictionary once... It seemed like a good idea at the time. Welcome, by the way. Try the mad caps here, they're great. Just avoid the bat-winged loony squad and their catapults...

I'm not referring to the ability to use the SR LLs. I'm referring to being able to use their units (even more pirate reskins). We got tree spirits (from Wood Elf DLC) with Alarielle in the Queen and the Crone, which shows it has precedent. They were a long way apart time-wise however.

If Southern Realms end up being the next DLC, Aranessa would then be like a back door to try some of their stuff without buying it. It would surprise me if they went with that idea.