Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New Total War Launcher - feedback thread

Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative AssemblyPosts: 865Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
edited February 26 in News and Announcements
The new Total War Launcher is now live - read more about this here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/welcome-to-the-new-total-war-launcher

Please post any feedback here.

FAQ/Frequently Reported User Issues with the new Total War Launcher:

“My Launcher will not load”
  • If your Launcher is not loading, please open the following location, “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\
  • and delete the “Launcher” folder if it is present. This will remove any corrupted or old Launcher data.
  • If you have an antivirus software installed, it may have erroneously quarantined or deleted the Launcher application. Please use the “Verify your game files” option on Steam which will redownload any missing files and either:
    • Create permissions for the launcher by making an exception
    • Disabling antivirus software whilst redownloading/ re-launching game
“My game crashes upon clicking the Play button”

Please submit a ticket to our Sega Customer Support team: https://support.sega.co.uk/ providing us with the following files:
  • Crash MiniDump File:
    • Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\crash_report
  • Modified Log:
    • Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\logs
  • Mod data file (moddata.dat): “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Launcher
  • DXdiag
  • Preferences Script:
    • Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\scripts
  • Save Game
    • Single Player: Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\save_games

“The ‘Continue campaign’ option sends me to the main menu of the game”
  • Please submit a ticket to our Sega Customer Support team at https://support.sega.co.uk/ with details about the issue and the attached save game file.
  • If you have recently purchased or activated DLC content, please ensure any content present in the save game is enabled on Steam.
“My Mod is not working in-game, or not appearing in the Mod Manager”
  • Make sure your mod is enabled in the new Mod Manager and when loading the game please ensure you click “play” when a warning notice appears about using mods.
  • Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\
  • A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again.
  • If the issue still persists can you please submit a Customer Support ticket via https://support.sega.co.uk/ and provide us with the following:
    • Mod data file (moddata.dat): “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Launcher
    • Modified.Log file: Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\logs
    • If you feel it is a specific mod causing this issue please provide the Steam Workshop URL to this mod
  • If a Mod you are creating is not showing in the Mod Manager, please make sure they are located in the correct folder: Drive:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\”Game_Title”\data
“The mod list in the notice for mods enabled shows random strings of characters instead of my mod name.”
  • Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\
  • A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again.
“My Mod is still not working”

Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\

A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again.

Please try re-exporting your mod using the Assembly Kit tools, and make sure it’s in the relevant data folder. Drive:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\”Game_Title”\data
If the issue still persists can you please submit a Customer Support ticket via https://support.sega.co.uk/
Post edited by Grace_CA on

Comments

• 0_w_e_n_twitch0_w_e_n_twitch Posts: 9Registered Users
    HI there,

just got the update for the the new launcher but i seem to now be having issues with BOB and building the mod. I am currently working on a mod where i am unlocking factions for play on total war Attila and had no issues building the mod in BOB after making changes to tables and startpos files. but after the new launcher update the mod will no longer build in BOB. the game will load i hear sound and then the sound stops and the build fails.

i back up my assembly kit file as soon as i have a successful build so i know this mod works and builds properly.

as well, i updated the mod in the new launcher and tried to play the mod to see if it works [and only my mod] but it comes up with a vfs error and the game crashes.

just wanted to check if we need to wait for an assembly kit update or not?

Thank you

p.s the launcher looks nice!

HI there,

just got the update for the the new launcher but i seem to now be having issues with BOB and building the mod. I am currently working on a mod where i am unlocking factions for play on total war Attila and had no issues building the mod in BOB after making changes to tables and startpos files. but after the new launcher update the mod will no longer build in BOB. the game will load i hear sound and then the sound stops and the build fails.

i back up my assembly kit file as soon as i have a successful build so i know this mod works and builds properly.

as well, i updated the mod in the new launcher and tried to play the mod to see if it works [and only my mod] but it comes up with a vfs error and the game crashes.

just wanted to check if we need to wait for an assembly kit update or not?

Thank you

p.s the launcher looks nice!

When testing this more. my mod works when it is an unpublished mod but after i force an update the mod will create a vfs error and crash the game. maybe the update isn't working properly?
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 1,041Registered Users
    It's live... but it sill shows "Beta" at the top left.

Why didn't you make it resizable to have if full screen?
    The Mod Manager only takes half of my screen. Would be much easier to sort mod if I could see more, using full screen...

And my mod was working prefectly before the update... Now when I start the game, mod is listed by the manager, but it's not loaded anymore
  • CA_NateCA_Nate Creative Assembly Posts: 1,036Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Hi @steph74

With the Mods that are listed and when running the game, is the mod "not loaded" anymore for you enabled on the Mod Manager ?

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Yes, it is enabled. But when I start the game, I don't see my change. Everything was fine just before the update
    I tried updating the mod to the workshop, or change the load order. Doesn't work.
    StephMap_Light.pack is working.
    edited February 26
    steph74 said:

I tried updating the mod to the workshop, or change the load order. Doesn't work.
    StephMap_Light.pack is working.

i noticed when i went to update my mod it said - "failed to create mod in workshop" even tho the mod was already uploaded and now my mod fails to work as well. although the mod works fine when not uploaded.
  • AexraelAexrael Posts: 18Registered Users
    edited February 26
    First issue is the lack of a resize option, because at 1440p the launcher doesn't scale very well if at all and leaves a lot of unused space available that could reduce the amount of scrolling required when browsing mod lists. One of the primary issues with the old launcher. https://imgur.com/gmyx1mS

Second issue, the launcher is automatically downloading certain mods I have published to the workshop, but which I am currently not subscribed to and which currently doesn't have a newer work in progress version in the DATA folder. \workshop\content\594570\1220362918 as an example.

The launcher claims at the bottom that I am subscribed to my published mods, which isn't true as on the Workshop I am not subscribed.
    Is there a way to go back to the previous version?
    I'm in vacation just this week, and was planning to do a lot of work on my mod, and now I can't because ! can't load it anymore!
    You can imagine how pleased I am.
  • CA_NateCA_Nate Creative Assembly Posts: 1,036Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Hi @steph74

When you attempt to upload the mod, have you tried disabling it before beginning to upload.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited February 26
    No. Should I? When I click Update, it says it has been successfully updated.
    I disabled all the one, except one. With only mod core mod (which should be the only one really needed), when I start at the top right of the main screen, after the version number is says "modded".
    But the mod has not effect
    CA_Nate said:

Hi @steph74

When you attempt to upload the mod, have you tried disabling it before beginning to upload.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate

to my old mod: NOVA REGNA - FACTION MOD [In Development] i sent an update this morning, same file will no longer work and produces a vfs error when playing. i have taken the same pack file - reuploaded it to test and it uploaded and worked fine. is my mod page just done for, do i have to just delete and reupload or can this be fixed?

CA_Nate said:

Hi @steph74

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate

to my old mod: NOVA REGNA - FACTION MOD [In Development] i sent an update this morning, same file will no longer work and produces a vfs error when playing. i have taken the same pack file - reuploaded it to test and it uploaded and worked fine. is my mod page just done for, do i have to just delete and reupload or can this be fixed?
    ok ignore this. it now works after a verify integrity check. however i still have the issues from before of not being able to create this mod anymore using BOB.
    Hi @0_w_e_n_twitch

The BOB issue that is occurring, is it related to StartPOS and also what title is this specifically occurring for.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

CA_Nate said:

Hi @0_w_e_n_twitch

The BOB issue that is occurring, is it related to StartPOS and also what title is this specifically occurring for.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate

i am creating the Nova Regna mod for total war atilla. i have backups of my entire assembly kit folder after each successful build so i know this mod normally builds but it seems that as soon as this update was pushed the startpos file no longer builds properly. keep in mind that this is already after i have to manually move files for the startpos file to be built properly int he first place.
    Hi @0_w_e_n_twitch

For StartPOS issues relating to Total War: Attila, we are aware of a potential issue and are actively investigating the issue.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

CA_Nate said:

Hi @0_w_e_n_twitch

For StartPOS issues relating to Total War: Attila, we are aware of a potential issue and are actively investigating the issue.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate

Thank you for letting me know
    A little progress...
    After deleting this folder, I can load the core. I can see my new units in custom battles.
    However, another pack with the icons inside is not loaded. It's a very simple one, without any database, just icons!
    Same with the pack where I have my texture.

Actually, it seems only my core pack is loaded now

Edit: after more testings, I manage to load the other packs by:
    - Updating the pack to the workshop
    - Deleting it from data folder
    - Disabling the pack, then enabling it again

However, if I take my pack from my working folder (outside of data folder), and copy it in data folder, it doesn't work, if this pack was uploaded first.

It seems to work if the pack as never been uploaded.
    So, for what I'm currently working on:
    - I can copy the pack with the textures for the empire in data folder, and load them to test them
    - But if I change something in the core (a stats of a unit for exemple), and when to put it in data folder, the core won't be loaded.

So, how can we test correction to mods? It's not practical to have to upload to the workshop for every single changes we make during testing of mods.

Regards
  • NorseZaibatsuNorseZaibatsu Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited February 26
    Hey, have you considered a search box? I know a lot of power users like to use really huge mod lists and I think a good search function would go a long way.
    All subscribed mods are now showing up in the DATA folder again, instead of the Workshop folder.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,489Registered Users
    mmmh the thrones of britannia .exe file has been wyped out after this update by my anti-virus
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    edited February 26
    Hi,

@Aexrael - Can you let us know what some of the subscribed mods are ?

@Argon - Verifying your Game files should fix this issue and if it still occurs, the file should be placed into quarantine and you should be able to remove it. Also could you let us know what Anti-virus software you are using ?

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Post edited by CA_Nate on
    Forum Terms & Conditions

• Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 865Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
    Hi all, there is now an FAQ in the OP of the thread, please check that first to see if there is a solution for your problem.
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Posts: 134Registered Users
    Today the mod manager was released as live.
    i tried it once as beta, but ingame, mods don't get loaded despite I activated them in the mod manager (and got the warning, you are using mods, I clicked on Start/Play in this window)
    So I reverted back to the old launcher...

now i can't do that because the launcher is released as live, and this bug is still there, mods are not working. The game starts and everything is like i don't use mods, but i have them subscribed in the workshop, and they are showing up in the mod manager and in the "you are using mods" warning window. But ingame, everything is unmodded. I unsubscribed and subscribed them again, no change.

For example, i am using a mod that is giving bretonnian lords Immune to psychology with quest vow, and immune to vigour with grail vow, and when i am starting a new bretonnian campaign, the skill is in vanilla state, not giving these bonuses.
    Hi @steph74

To clarify you are taking date from your working folder and are you copying to the /data folder then uploading here ?

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

CA_Nate said:

Hi,

@Aexrael - Can you let us know what some of the subscribed mods are ?

@Argon - Verifying your Game files should fix this issue and if it still occurs, the file should be placed into quarantine and you should be able to remove it.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate

Anything I've published for TWW2, https://steamcommunity.com/id/Aexrael/myworkshopfiles/?appid=594570
  • NanuNanu Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited February 26
    All of the mods I have made or subscribed to don't work anymore. They activate fine, their pack files exist and the game notifies me that I'm loading a game with mods, but they take no effect in game anymore.

It seems mods from the workshop, mods that I have posted to the workshop, and even mods I have made for personal use all fail to activate in game, despite the fact that they are activated in the launcher and I am given a warning about the fact that I am running a modded game.

Edit: I verified my game files and surprise! Game crashed on startup. I deleted my my mods and replaced them with the back ups and the original problem is still there, they activate in the launcher but refuse to load into the game.
    I have a big mod, split into several packs (basically one core with the db, and several packs with textures).
    Before the new launcher:
    - I have a "working" folder with all my packs, where I do the actual changes
    - When ready to test, I copied each modified pack to the "data" folder.
    - When I have finished my work on a big part (like a new race, maybe after two months work), I uploaded the pack from data to the workshop.The new "finalized" pack was then downloaded to the Workshop folder.
    - To sum up! workshop folder contained "official" release from Steam Workshop. Data folder contains "work in progress future version"

After the new launcher, this doesn't seem to work anymore.
    If have a pack both in data and workshop, it's not loaded.

Hi @Nanu

Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\

Then reload the launcher and this will generate a new folder.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

• NanuNanu Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited February 26
    CA_Nate said:

Hi @Nanu

Then reload the launcher and this will generate a new folder.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate

That's the first thing I tried, didn't help. I've done everything mentioned above, and it seems after redownloading all of the workshop mods they're working again. Unfortunately my mods, which are in the data folder, still don't work. I backed them up and downloaded the workshop versions but any mods in the data folder still refuse to activate. Which isn't a problem as much as it is just a nuisance for mod makers.

Edit: This also makes it impossible for modders to make and test new mods without uploading to the workshop. Again, not a massive problem but annoyance to be sure.