Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New Total War Launcher - feedback thread

Comments

• wazzilaTwazzilaT Registered Users Posts: 6
    My game does not start, I have installed everything several times but nothing in the launcher screen when I click the "play" button the game simply does not start. it's really irritating, please do something
  • paamu100paamu100 Registered Users Posts: 7
    what about load order...
    the #1 mod is loaded first or after all others ?
    it's not clear for me ^^
  • CiaiutiCiaiuti Registered Users Posts: 4
    the game is not starting when i press play in the launcher and the mod manager says that the mods are corrupt. it workt perfectly 2 days ago before the update...
  • wazzilaTwazzilaT Registered Users Posts: 6
    FIXED %appdata% search creative assembly folder and delete launcher folder.
  • grant198836grant198836 Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited February 2019
    Hey everyone,

Glad to know I'm not the only one having mod issues due to the launcher. But I think I might have found a way around it if anyone is interested. While in Steam, right click the name of your game, and go to properties. Then click set launch options. You will see a box with this -nolauncher. Delete -nolauncher and leave the box blank. Start the game as normal, activate your mods, and play the game. The mods should work now. Well, they do for me at least.
  • MobiustripsMobiustrips Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hi,

Attempted to play TWWH2 the other day when I noticed that the launcher would populate on my screen and then I would briefly see the Total War Logo with a spinning loading indication around it before it went to all grey. After a quick google search discovered that there was a new launcher and found instructions on how to deal with my issue. Went to C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly and deleted the launcher folder. Attempted to relaunch hoping for better results and got the same grey screen.

I have uninstalled all Total War games and reinstalled, as well as verified my game files.

I have well over 100 dollars invested in the Warhammer Total Wars and literally thousands of hours and many saved playthroughs throughout my time playing this franchise.

Any and all help appreciated, thank you in advance.
  • TrueHellTrueHell Registered Users Posts: 10
    NEED A REVERT TO THE PREVIOUS LAUNCHER. I don't even use mods and my launcher wont't even start. Just gives me a small total war loading icon, then blank grey screen. I can't play Warhammer at all on Steam because of this Launcher. This issue seems to be known by the devs, cause their are FAQ questions within the patch notes THAT DO NOT HELP PEOPLE WITH THE ISSUE. The devs KNEW this would break most peoples games.
    Honestly need to go back to the last Launcher before the 2/26/2019 update. I cant play any Warhammer game because of this. Iv tried deleting the Launcher Folder in Appdata, I have added the game to my firewall, I have ran steam in admin mod, i did the stupid script AND STILL NOTHING.
    Grace_CA said:

The new Total War Launcher is now live - read more about this here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/welcome-to-the-new-total-war-launcher

Please post any feedback here.

FAQ/Frequently Reported User Issues with the new Total War Launcher:

“My Launcher will not load”

• If your Launcher is not loading, please open the following location, “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\
    • and delete the “Launcher” folder if it is present. This will remove any corrupted or old Launcher data.
    • If you have an antivirus software installed, it may have erroneously quarantined or deleted the Launcher application. Please use the “Verify your game files” option on Steam which will redownload any missing files and either:
      • Create permissions for the launcher by making an exception
      • Disabling antivirus software whilst redownloading/ re-launching game
    “My game crashes upon clicking the Play button”

Please submit a ticket to our Sega Customer Support team: https://support.sega.co.uk/ providing us with the following files:
    • Crash MiniDump File:
      • Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\crash_report
    • Modified Log:
      • Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\logs
    • Mod data file (moddata.dat): “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Launcher
    • DXdiag
    • Preferences Script:
      • Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\scripts
    • Save Game
      • Single Player: Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\save_games

“The ‘Continue campaign’ option sends me to the main menu of the game”
    • Please submit a ticket to our Sega Customer Support team at https://support.sega.co.uk/ with details about the issue and the attached save game file.
    • If you have recently purchased or activated DLC content, please ensure any content present in the save game is enabled on Steam.
    “My Mod is not working in-game, or not appearing in the Mod Manager”
    • Make sure your mod is enabled in the new Mod Manager and when loading the game please ensure you click “play” when a warning notice appears about using mods.
    • Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\
    • A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again.
    • If the issue still persists can you please submit a Customer Support ticket via https://support.sega.co.uk/ and provide us with the following:
      • Mod data file (moddata.dat): “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Launcher
      • Modified.Log file: Drive:\Users\”User”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\”Game_Title”\logs
      • If you feel it is a specific mod causing this issue please provide the Steam Workshop URL to this mod
    • If a Mod you are creating is not showing in the Mod Manager, please make sure they are located in the correct folder: Drive:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\”Game_Title”\data
    “The mod list in the notice for mods enabled shows random strings of characters instead of my mod name.”
    • Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\
    • A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again.
    “My Mod is still not working”

Please close the Launcher and delete the Launcher folder present in: “Drive”:\Users\”USER”\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\

A new Launcher folder will be generated upon opening the Launcher again.

Please try re-exporting your mod using the Assembly Kit tools, and make sure it’s in the relevant data folder. Drive:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\”Game_Title”\data
    If the issue still persists can you please submit a Customer Support ticket via https://support.sega.co.uk/

Yeah none of these solutions for getting the launcher to open properly actually work, Revert to previous launcher please.
  • SerkovskySerkovsky Registered Users Posts: 1
    The launcher does not work on my laptop. The window is activated, but it is gray all the time. There are no options just nothing. I deleted the "launcher" folder just like CA, but it does not work. Please help.
    laptop
    - ASUS 510J
    - NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 950M
    - Intel Core i7 3.6 GhZ
    - Memory RAM 4GB
  • gdwittgdwitt Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 18
    edited February 2019
    Great mod launcher!
    However, too strtict.
    I am a regular Attila player and can't play my mods.
    I am using unpublished and published mods.
    The unpublished ones are absolutely critical.

The exact mods worked well together this past weekend.
    Now I get this error no matter what combination I try (with unpulbished mods):
    vfs error: could not load the mods. It looks like the mods you have in your data dictionary don' play well together. Consider withdrawing them and reintroducing them one by one to see what the offending combination is. Don' forget to share your findings on the forum!
    The spelling errors are not mine.

How can I go back and use an old mod launcher so I can release my mods?

Note: "movies.pack" is appearing in the list. Why? It is a base CA mod, but the hover message says it is my mod. It is not in the Steam content folder. I am not sure what it could be other than Vanilla Movies.pack.
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,887
    After struggling a bit, I can now make it work. Positive point: uploading a mod is now MUCH faster than before.
    Negative points:
    - Add support for better resolution. The launcher currently occupies only a part of my screen and cannot be maximize. It's a pitty it can list only 6 mods, when it could list 12!
    - Add a progress bar when uploading or updating a mod. It's fast... But we don't get a confirmation it's actually doing something until it's finished.
    - As it is now, if a mod exists both in the workshop folder and data folder, it is not loaded at all. Please fix it: it's a lot easier for modder to have WIP update of mod in data (which are overriding the one in the workshop). And then updating the official mod on Steam (and consequently in the workshop folder), from the mod in data, when it is finished, tested, and stable.
    edited February 2019
    Here is one of the mods that has a problem. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1663854212 It depends on the local_en.pack loading first. It adds some dynamic features that has become very popular. Did the traditional load order of the vanilla pack files change?
    paamu100 said:

what about load order...
    it's not clear for me ^^

any answer ? :)
  • LuciferLucifer Member England U.KRegistered Users Posts: 1,878
    paamu100 said:

paamu100 said:

what about load order...
    it's not clear for me ^^

Some mods may have sub mods, so you'll have to talk with the mod author in order to know which order they need if any, loaded in.

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
    Kislev - from darkness to light.19/3
    Lucifer said:

paamu100 said:

paamu100 said:

what about load order...
    it's not clear for me ^^

Some mods may have sub mods, so you'll have to talk with the mod author in order to know which order they need if any, loaded in.
    i talk in the mod list of the mod manager
    from 1 to 20, which one is the first loaded, the #1 or #20 ?
    in ex in the old Mitch MM, the first of the list is the last loaded ;)
  • EandirEandir Registered Users Posts: 2
    @ everybody with the issue that the game doesn't start although you hit the "play" button:
    deleting the launcher folder worked for me. I first didn't find the folder, but if you go to "local disk (C:)" and search for "the creative assembly" you should find the mentioned folder.
    Hope it works for you guys too...
    edited February 2019
    I created a fix that worked last night. This afternoon it doesn't work.
    Did something make it even more restrictive?
    I get the same misspelled error from yesterday for several mods now.
    Some of us have a reputation on the line.
    I am getting complaints from scores of subscribers who are unsubscribing.
    Please rollback your vfs error checking on this mod manager as the new players will only use this new mod manager.
    The error is coming from mods that attempt to overwrite and add new strings on top of what is in local_en.pack.
    This kind of error checking will affect many established mods.
  • ComputerIdiotComputerIdiot Registered Users Posts: 1
    Ok. To be honest I am losing my mind. Since the recent launcher update I just got the game a couple days ago and was enjoying it.

Now every time I try to start the game from Steam the launcher fires up and I see the horsemen icon pop up with the thinking bar going around it and then he goes away and the launcher is totally grayed out no buttons not even an x at the top right corner NOTHING is visible except the gray.

I have tried deleting the launcher file and then having verifying integrity of game problem persists.
    I have updated windows and drivers and problem persists.
    I have deleted and re downloaded game problem persists.
    I have tried reverting to an earlier version problem persists.
    I have tried copping the text into the Preference text posted on site into the .txt file problem persists.
    I have tried launching Steam as admin problem persists.

I have absolutely no idea to fix it and all I can find on all of the different places I have checked for a solution are all the same.

Please help a bro out.

even i uncheck all mods, and have vfs error (for the first time since i play total war -.-)
  • myselfnapoleonmyselfnapoleon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 441
    edited February 2019
    I quite like the new launcher. It does have a couple of problems though :
    • When launching Medieval Total War, there is an error (Polite Notice : Invalid Command Line Parameter), which appears twice. You can still play the game after clicking 'ok' twice but this cannot be intended behaviour.
    • You cannot launch any of the expansions of Total War: Medieval 2
    • You cannot launch Barbarian Invasion or Alexander from the laucher either.
    TrueHell said:

This is the exact same issue I have, have done all stated above and nothing has changed.
    FOUND A FIX BOYYYYYYYSSSS.

If you're using steam. Need to go into the Properties settings for what ever total war game you're having issues with.
    Go to Betas. Select which beta you wish to opt into. Choose launcher release candidate. BING BANG BOOM you can play your game again.
  • Todbringer97Todbringer97 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hello, Im having a problem with the new launcher, at first it worked pretty well, but now when I try to start a game, it wouldnt work, also if I try to manage my mods the page wont load. I can start any game except for the game I double clicked, so for example, I start Total War Warhammer II, It wont start, but if in the launcher I change to the Rome 2 page, I can start that game, but I cant manage any mods, so basically I can play, but not with mods, hope you can solve my problem, thanks.
  • MidnightNLMidnightNL Registered Users Posts: 3
    The new launcher is completely broken.

- It lags.
    - There's no way to properly delete mods (after I delete 1 none work any longer)
    - When activating mods some will deactivate (despite being up to date) automatically.
    - Others which you have deactivated will activate again automatically.
    - Launcher tends to crash while using mod manager.

Please give us back the old launcher. It was fine. The new launcher is the one which is broken.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,780
    My suggestion: make the launcher optional.
  • KrokopadraigKrokopadraig Registered Users Posts: 1
    Aexrael said:

Second issue, the launcher is automatically downloading certain mods I have published to the workshop, but which I am currently not subscribed to and which currently doesn't have a newer work in progress version in the DATA folder. \workshop\content\594570\1220362918 as an example.

The launcher claims at the bottom that I am subscribed to my published mods, which isn't true as on the Workshop I am not subscribed.

I have to repeat this feedback as a modder who has released 100+ mods for Total War Rome II on Steam.
    But first on the one hand, the new launcher looks good and is working, as well as my game is. The option to change the load order is great and it's easier to update mods, while the update system was really buggy before the launcher update. Although you should add something like a progress bar (at the moment you don't know if something happens after you click "update") and keep the description on the steam page. But those are minor issues modders can deal with easily.

So on the other side I was really shocked right after the update, because the game startet to load all 110+ single mods I have released through the steam workshop. That's absolutely a bad joke, dear devs. I'm currently playing with about 25 mods, only some of them made by me. Now I have 100 other mods that I have not subscribed to in game folder. But not only there, new mods are also stored in the workshop folder. So I have many mods – that I don't use, that I created for community and to give people choices – on my hard disk, not only once but TWICE. This is a wast of disk space I cannot accept. Please solve this, I don't want to load all my own mods that I have not subscribed to. If this is going to be the final state I'll have to delete most of my mods that I don't use, keeping compilations only.

It's not that bad to have all published mods listet somewhere, but neither should the game load them when they are not used nor should they be displayed in the standard mod list. I'm going crazy trying to find the 20 mods I want to use with 120 mods in the list.

I am confident that you will remove those problems. Cheers.
  • SykoPliskinSykoPliskin Registered Users Posts: 1
    Like many others the new launcher has made all TW games unplayable. I've played TW since the early days of Rome and this launcher is honestly the most disgraceful thing ever released to the TW franchise. This thing is not even close to being called Beta phase. Let alone a live release.

Deactivated all mods. Didn't work

Deleted the launcher folder. Didn't work.

Deleted all mods. Didn't work.

Verified file integrity. Didn't work.

Reinstalled Rome 2 and Attila. Didn't work.

Revert back to launcher release candidate. Great success.

Whats that tell you? No where near enough testing done before live public release.

To be blunt, it's disgraceful. All parties involved in this live release should be ashamed of themselves.

Don't get me wrong its a very sleek launcher when I first saw it I was very impressed. Load order adjusting and nice layout really top notch. Then click play and watch it crash.
    Maybe instead of rushing to show everyone the shiny new thing you've spent time making. Check to be sure its actually functional.

To fellow players; Game Library -> Right Click [whatever TW Game] -> Properties -> Beta -> launcher_release_candidate -> OK

It will redownload the old properly functioning launcher and you can continue to enjoy the awesome games.
    TrueHell said:

FOUND A FIX BOYYYYYYYSSSS.

If you're using steam. Need to go into the Properties settings for what ever total war game you're having issues with.
    Go to Betas. Select which beta you wish to opt into. Choose launcher release candidate. BING BANG BOOM you can play your game again.

Amazing, thank you for finding this.