Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dragon Ogres: Shaggoth vs Summoners of Rage.

MrRipper707MrRipper707 Posts: 40Registered Users
edited March 5 in Multiplayer
Generaly which would you guys recommend? lately ive been using summoners, they feel more durable to me but i am not sure. Which situation would you want a shaggoth over the ROR?

Comments

• Wyvern2Wyvern2 Posts: 782Registered Users
    Shaggoth has more mass to push through enemy lines/units to get at its target and is significantly tankier vs missiles, especially cheap trash missiles(though also easier to dodge expensive ones). Obviously it also doesn't bleed damage if it loses hp, unlike summoners who can lose models. Also causes terror, which may or may not be important in whatever MU you're in. Ultimately, I think the ogres are better for raw damage output but less effective vs factions that can support their big stuff with lots of sturdy trash(like vampire counts for example)
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • glosskilosglosskilos Posts: 893Registered Users
    Ogres can get a surround on single entities so they have that advantage
  • ystyst Posts: 4,359Registered Users
    Generally the ror is more reliable because of the added value ror get.

Main thing is really that magic att, anything with resist they will do much, much better. Also if u view both as equal, means ur getting the bound spell for free
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • Thorien_KellThorien_Kell Senior Member Posts: 1,528Registered Users
    Forget Shagot, too expensive, too risky - every large lord is a snipe risk.

Best lords are on feet and have armor plus regeneration. Units with multiple models can apply damage way faster.
  • SarmatiansSarmatians Posts: 2,596Registered Users

Best lords are on feet and have armor plus regeneration. Units with multiple models can apply damage way faster.

I'm going to strongly disagree.
  • Green0Green0 Posts: 2,772Registered Users

this. Absolutely this. Please bring Sigvald on foot it if you're against me it would be very nice :)
    edited March 14
    (double post - please remove)
    Post edited by Thorien_Kell on

"I'm going to strongly disagree."

Welp id depends on opposing faction but no player (especially good one) will go in match against chaos without proper ranged detention.

Chaos is plagued with small army and shaky morale. Expensive lord - less heroes - even smaller army. Good opponent will limit your playground with his ranged, making your Shagot less useful till lategame or if you're having upper hand already. In that case you've hardly needed monster lord in a first place. If you bring some other monster it's a calculated risk, but monster general .... let's just say that chaos troops love their general closeby and not dead.

This rule is not set in stone but it does have some logic I assure you.

"this. Absolutely this. Please bring Sigvald on foot it if you're against me it would be very nice "

And what do you think you will do to my Sigvald? I always liked properly supported regenerating leadership lords on foot and wold still won in 8 or 9 matches of 10. This was WH I granted but this is essentially same game.

Foot lords in melee are ONLY lord types that cannot be targeted by ranged. Go take 3 chaos heroes on steeds, 3 on foot sent them to your spears and shoot them with ranged and see which ones die, and which are unharmed.

I never did liked chaos on ranked, too small army for my taste and chaos has Satoriel who is high mass and virtually ranged resistant so it's best lord of chaos by far. You can go straight to opponents ranged line and disrupt +hex until your core hits.
  • SarmatiansSarmatians Posts: 2,596Registered Users
    Again, I'm going to strongly disagree.

Chaos Warrors have 75 LD, Chosen 85, Chaos Knights 74, Shaggoths 75. I don't see the shaky LD. In fact, LD for Chaos is certainly among the highest in the game, in range of Elves and Dwarfs.

If your plan is to outgrind the opponent with melee infantry, then I can see a case for Sigvald, but few factions can go toe to toe with Chaos, so they will generally tried to deny you that engagement.

Then speed and mobility of Kholek, Sarth, even mounted Archaon becomes crucial. Archaon and Kholek also bring that burst damage, and quickly take out priority targets.
    Theoretically, you're right about LD. In practice however chaos seems to be curiously sensitive to chain routing, possibly it was bug in WH I, maybe patched out, but smaller army size combined with flank rear penalties might partial reason. You need those marauders to fill your ranks.

Chaos infantry seems decently cost effective but as faction you lack cheap spears, cheap ranged and chaff - that limits you severely. Expensive and ranged sensitive general is a risk against a good player and somewhat opposite of meta. I'm not saying it can't work, but I think it's harder.
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Posts: 782Registered Users

Theoretically, you're right about LD. In practice however chaos seems to be curiously sensitive to chain routing, possibly it was bug in WH I, maybe patched out, but smaller army size combined with flank rear penalties might partial reason. You need those marauders to fill your ranks.

Chaos infantry seems decently cost effective but as faction you lack cheap spears, cheap ranged and chaff - that limits you severely. Expensive and ranged sensitive general is a risk against a good player and somewhat opposite of meta. I'm not saying it can't work, but I think it's harder.

Except shaggoths and Kholek are both fairly tanky vs ranged, even if you let your opponent beat on you without making any effort to shut down their shooting/keep them safe. 6k+hp and 25% missile resist , plus good mobility and solid armor, makes them pretty safe choices if you know what you're doing.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file