Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Which TW?

CaptainRadishCaptainRadish Posts: 18Registered Users
Hi guys. So I recently bought Rome 2 and am enjoying it a lot. I am interested in this period of history, as I am with most European history to do with empires and wars. I can’t decide what my next purchase should be, as I’d like something more modern. I don’t really know myself what time period I want, something to do with Britain as the equivalent of Rome, plenty of other cool empires, maybe Holy Roman Empire, or Prussia, Austria, perhaps the Byzantine empire in the east and Poland Lithuania looks cool. As you can see I myself don’t really know what’s what, as all European history after the 5th century seems the same to me. What game do you guys think captivates the fun of imperialism?

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users
    For Imperialism? Probably Empire would be best. It covers more of the world than any other TW but it is rather dated now but I still enjoy it.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,653Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Commisar said:

For Imperialism? Probably Empire would be best. It covers more of the world than any other TW but it is rather dated now but I still enjoy it.

As do I. Wrapping up a Swedish, extra long, campaign right now - again.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • nodulousnodulous Senior Member Posts: 916Registered Users
    Funny you should say that dge1. I've just finished a Russian campaign where the Swedes were consigned, as bogeymen, to the Land of Myth and Legend. :)

Empire's well worth a look even though 10yrs old this week and a bit clunky. I like seeing the Marathas appearing in Nevada or Iceland.

Hopefully CA will eventually get around to Empire2.
    And make the Pirates a playable faction this time. Whatever were they thinking?
  • CaptainRadishCaptainRadish Posts: 18Registered Users
    Cool cool, is empire better than napoleon then? Also how does medieval 2 compare? It looks quite good also.
  • nodulousnodulous Senior Member Posts: 916Registered Users
    Empire is much bigger than Napoleon. I prefer Empire but do like the Peninsula campaign with Napoleon.

Medieval2 I haven't played since Rome2 came out. It was fun with the Mongol hordes and discovering new lands and people to annoy, but dozens of ai single stack Byzantine armies getting jammed up trying to get through the Amanus mountains make for a long mid game end turn.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users

Cool cool, is empire better than napoleon then? Also how does medieval 2 compare? It looks quite good also.

Napoleon is a nice game but it's more limited in scope. Focus is mostly in Europe and mostly about war. Empire does have more internal build up for me.
  • CaptainRadishCaptainRadish Posts: 18Registered Users
    Ok so empire it is, and I know I’ll probably get both medieval 2 and empire eventually, but right now, which one is better? Or more fun? They both seem to have an advantage over Rome 2 in the fact that I’m interested in more factions not just Rome 😂
  • GreenKing1GreenKing1 Senior Member Posts: 637Registered Users
    edited March 11

Ok so empire it is, and I know I’ll probably get both medieval 2 and empire eventually, but right now, which one is better? Or more fun? They both seem to have an advantage over Rome 2 in the fact that I’m interested in more factions not just Rome 😂

Empire is better, medieval 2 is a little outdated now.

Good idea to install Darthmod for Empire too: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?562420-DOWNLOAD-DarthMod-Empire-v8-0-Platinum
  • MuhsinTpdMuhsinTpd Junior Member Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (The Republic of Turkey)Posts: 126Registered Users
    Empire is better for you.
    “Victory is for those who can say "Victory is mine". Success is for those who can begin saying "I will succeed" and say "I have succeeded" in the end.”
    ― Mustafa Kemal Atatürk