Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why do you want Marius leitdorf?

Comments

• TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 1,728
    I don't know the character that well but from my understanding i think people like him because he seems a very eccentric and flamboyant character, all about enjoying the luxury's in life, but also quite mad very different from the more serious stern lord choices and there's a history of relationships between him, franz, Kurt and ludwig so I guess he would work quite well as an enemy/ally on equal footing

• kevManiackevManiac Registered Users Posts: 710
    The reasons I'd like him in the game above any other 8th ed Empire Lord, is because of reasons people already said:
    - He is the only 8th ed Elector Count. And there must be some Elector Counts mechanic. Boris is already in the game, so having a 3rd Elector Count gives a Mechanic like this depth.
    - Given his madness, roleplaying will be great. If CA would add him, hopefully he'd some unique dilemmas, adding to his madness. Having a dilemma "to which of your advisors do you listen: Daisy or your real advisors?" is just funny, but more importantly, fun for roleplaying.
    - Although I'd like to avoid the discussion, the start is of importance. But enough people are already talking about that, so I won't write down the same arguments. But I do have to add, in all my games, the Empire listens to the new Emperor: Emperor Vlad von Carstein. There is something that needs some fixing there
  • Ares354Ares354 Registered Users Posts: 4,001
    Rampage on LL, good joke @Canuovea

Now people hate rampage on units, what they gonna say about LL, they will hate him even more.

Marius apart from hes madness bring nothing to Empire, NOTHING. Boris who I dont like either bring Cult of Ulric, legendary hero Markus Wulfhart(who is in 8th edition) and Al Ulric, as well as new religion based on Ulric. Way, WAY more then Marius. Middenland bring a lot to table.

Even Wissenland bring more then Averland, because Death Mage Elspeth vs draken and generic one, unique hero, and units fron Nuln, few can be added.

If we have to get 8th edition Lord, then Kurt Helborg BECAUSE he is new Lord type for Empire, something Marius dont give us, Cav focus lord. And he can start outside Empire, Marius cant.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,860
    I don’t want him. I’m not adverse to getting him or any other Empire LL. If I got to pick though he would be rather far down the list but before such luminaries as Schwarthelm, Helborg or Wulfhart.

1. Boris
    2. Emil Valgeir
    3. Valten
    4. Luthor Huss

Those are my top picks.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,804
    Ares354 said:

Rampage on LL, good joke Canuovea

Now people hate rampage on units, what they gonna say about LL, they will hate him even more.

Marius apart from hes madness bring nothing to Empire, NOTHING. Boris who I dont like either bring Cult of Ulric, legendary hero Markus Wulfhart(who is in 8th edition) and Al Ulric, as well as new religion based on Ulric. Way, WAY more then Marius. Middenland bring a lot to table.

Even Wissenland bring more then Averland, because Death Mage Elspeth vs draken and generic one, unique hero, and units fron Nuln, few can be added.

The Starting position of Averland far outranks Wissenland (because Wissenland is right next to Reikland) with actually being able to help them against the Vampires which is the far more important part and the Empires start positions should not be Franz and neighbors as one on their own can be fine but not multiple as they have the room for spread out starting positions and the 8th Edition lords with Marius (Averland) and Helborg (Ostland or Sudenburg to fit with him leading forces from Kislev to Araby) do show that.

And adding Von Draken would actually not get the Amethyst Wizard added or did you forget what Gelt existing did for the Gold Wizards?

The most changes for Heroes will be from Middenland for the Ulric Heroes to replace the Sigmarite heroes and not anything from Wissenland. As a Hero for Wissenland would really be available to the whole Empire if CA wants to get past their little limit of 4 heroes. For example pull up Middenland in Custom battle and you'll notice that the Sigmarite and Reikland units aren't there which includes the Arch Lector and Warrior Priest.

The units CA are going to add are going to be their missing units with the most unique ones being Knightly Orders considering that the Knights of the White Wolf and Knight Panther have Landmarks and voice files while stuff like Nuln Ironsides are better suited for RoR.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,375
    edited March 2019

Reghis said:

1. He is/was a member of the elector count
    2. (my opinion) he is kinda iconic/important in the history of the Empire
    3. and the most important reason: his starting position would be in Averland which means, he would perfectly tank the early expansion of Vlad/ Manfred because they are out of control right now

1. Why does it matter if he's an elector count? 2 of the 3 Empire LL aren't elector counts. Plus there's at least 4 others who fit that bill.

2. My main question is how is he iconic?

3. I said not to mention his start position because it's only going to bog down the conversation. Everyones going to say that (even though I'd argue his position isn't as good or essential as they say)
    2 of 3 Empire LLs are not Elector Counts... THEY ALSO are nto Faction Leaders but instead secondary LLs to Karl Franz.
    Ares354 said:

Rampage on LL, good joke @Canuovea

If we have to get 8th edition Lord, then Kurt Helborg BECAUSE he is new Lord type for Empire, something Marius dont give us, Cav focus lord. And he can start outside Empire, Marius cant.

Luthor can already Rampage with the right, or wrong, personality
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!

#PrayForBorisBokha (don't you dare kill of one of the 2 bigname Kislev characters in Backstory... he's the Bear guy!)

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,377
    Just another thing to add, it's important to note that just because we get a LL in an area it doesn't mean we'll get new units for that province. CA could just add a LL without adding any units, so Marius or other LLs doesn't mean that we're missing out on units that CA wasn't going to add anyway.
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,327
    edited March 2019
    @Michael4537 that's a silly point to put forward. Just because you think CA might not add certain things means we should add the province with the least personality in the empire, the least unique units and a start that isn't as good as other options. All averland brings is a horse riding imperial general.

At the very least: borris and Elspeth could be templates for future content if CA wanted to add onto them but Marius is a dead end.

Even if Marius isn't a joke character people want him in the game because of the lolz and I think that's a silly reason to have him over other characters and regions that are of more gameplay and cultural significance to the world and the empire. Borris might also be a bit boring gameplay wise but atleast he's got the cult of Ulric and a massive amount of the missing units in his cult and region.
  • SaitohSaitoh Registered Users Posts: 262
    The reason I DON'T want him is I just don't see myself playing him from a tactical perspective. Unlike Harkon he duel wields a Runefang and a dagger instead of sword and pistol so he doesn't get a ranged attack. We know from Boris that Runefangs aren't counted as AP in this game. What we're left with is pre-buff Tyrion: a so-called "duelist" who can't duel because he has no AP, can't kill chaff because no splash, can only mount a horse (can't fly, no mass, large target, no splash)... except Marius is no Tyrion and Daisy is no Malhandir so he's not even close to as "good" as pre-buff Tyrion.

Marius is like Karl Franz if he couldn't get Ghal Maraz and his mount progression stopped at barded warhorse. He would literally be worse than a generic lord because the generics can mount a griffon.

I know Warhammer fans want him for lore and flavor reasons, but speaking for the Total War side, I would never play him.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,073
    I'm not a fan of the Empire and if not for Gelt I would probably skip it. That being said I like the sound and look of 'Teutogen Guard' so give me Middenheim and Ar-Ulric alongside their many unique units.

I want Marius Leitdorf too, somewhat at least. He is crazy alright but he lacks facial hair. And this just can't stand.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

• DerpyRoxasDerpyRoxas Registered Users Posts: 3,242

Just to add on a little more about Marius' story, I just found this after I posted the previous comment. Here's the link to the reddit page: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/7fgki5/marius_leitdorf_the_mad_count_of_averland_mod_lore/.

But anyway I want to emphasize this piece of lore:

Someone mentioned it early, and I didn't think much of it, but it adds a bit more to his character. ;)

Hey that is a great find and makes me so happy for monogods slaneesh, can you imagine his diplomacy dialogue with them? :lol:

Just his diplomacy dialogue in general would be great.
    When you said that CA can only add so much to the game. I believe it, and that's why I'd like to have marius, he'd be perfect for my slaneesh monogods horde to attack first. And entirely due to his history with them.

Plus, if the OP doesn't want marius, then who does he want and how is it any better than marius?
    They forgot about the "white hair in a single night thing" and yes, that's his story.
    Saitoh said:

The reason I DON'T want him is I just don't see myself playing him from a tactical perspective. Unlike Harkon he duel wields a Runefang and a dagger instead of sword and pistol so he doesn't get a ranged attack. We know from Boris that Runefangs aren't counted as AP in this game. What we're left with is pre-buff Tyrion: a so-called "duelist" who can't duel because he has no AP, can't kill chaff because no splash, can only mount a horse (can't fly, no mass, large target, no splash)... except Marius is no Tyrion and Daisy is no Malhandir so he's not even close to as "good" as pre-buff Tyrion.

Marius is like Karl Franz if he couldn't get Ghal Maraz and his mount progression stopped at barded warhorse. He would literally be worse than a generic lord because the generics can mount a griffon.

I know Warhammer fans want him for lore and flavor reasons, but speaking for the Total War side, I would never play him.

You know they'd probably throw a Griffon at Marius considering the mounts characters have been getting that they didn't have access to in the army books? Like those Foot lords getting Mammoth and Dragons because CA has given up on foot lords.

I should also point out that for the Empire Griffons (And big mounts) only came from General of the Empire, Amber Wizard Lord and Karl Franz (Also got a Dragon) as Griffons aren't meant to be everywhere for the Empire and Generals are a jack of all trades who have have other characters who are better at the roles a General could pick like Melee: Grand Master, Ranged: Master Engineer and with support: Warrior Priests and Arch Lectors are better then the General hence why a Griffon was added the GotE since you need a reason to take it other then it being cheap (and that it can be the Empires only generic ranged lord).
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 15,182
    I'd rather they didn't throw a Griffin at Marius because he's gotta be loyal to Daisy. Daisy Kurt von Helboring the Second is Marius' most iconic mount.

She should also be a follower. You should be able to appoint her chancellor too. Let her handle the money. Oooh, or Spymaster.

Anyway, I think Averland is the best option for a start position beyond perhaps Ostland. I think that Marius is the character with the most personality (and no, he'd only rampage sometimes according to my speculative list) and, according to the fourth edition rules at least, an excellent duelist perhaps even on par with Helborg. The one area I don't think he has as much value in is regarding units he can bring with him since, well, he basically doesn't bring anything. Marius would be great as a standalone lord. To me this makes him much more likely with the Empire update, but also means I think things like Knights of the White Wolf are less likely.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
    @Canuovea you think this with no basis and without even considering anything myself or others have pointed out.

I saw someone say this a while ago and thought it was harsh but recently Ive come to understand it: "I'm really glad CA doesn't listen to this community"

I think it's kinda funny how there's been multiple threads confused as to why CA favours Reddit over these forums.
    @Canuovea I've spent alot of time debating on the internet, like this, politically and on other topics and I'd just like to point out that what you just did is textbook for people siting behind a keyboard and not actually listening at all.

You stated your opinion, respond to opposition by reaffirming your position without factoring in said opposition and then state your opinion again at the very end in a way that mirrors your original post, completely unaltered, like nothing ever happened. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this.
    edited March 2019
    Canuovea said:

I'd rather they didn't throw a Griffin at Marius because he's gotta be loyal to Daisy. Daisy Kurt von Helboring the Second is Marius' most iconic mount.

She should also be a follower. You should be able to appoint her chancellor too. Let her handle the money. Oooh, or Spymaster.

Anyway, I think Averland is the best option for a start position beyond perhaps Ostland. I think that Marius is the character with the most personality (and no, he'd only rampage sometimes according to my speculative list) and, according to the fourth edition rules at least, an excellent duelist perhaps even on par with Helborg. The one area I don't think he has as much value in is regarding units he can bring with him since, well, he basically doesn't bring anything. Marius would be great as a standalone lord. To me this makes him much more likely with the Empire update, but also means I think things like Knights of the White Wolf are less likely.

Only adding what the 4th Edition says about Marius since it is harder to get a hold of.

Edit: damn missed that line while cutting out the non Marius part.

Arguing on the Internet rarely gets you anywhere, and similarly in this case I've not found much of what you have to say convincing. Nor am I obligated to be dragged into a further argument on the subject when it would be more or less a waste of my time. My precious precious time. That I already have so little of. My last post was meant to be a summary, and I did acknowledge one of your better points.

Wissenland is not a better start position than Averland. Your line of argument there seems flawed and is mostly about who can get to the South the fastest, which isn't necessarily the point. It is also right next to Reikland. Wissenland in conflict with the local Dwarfs would also likely put it in conflict with Clan Angrund, who already have enough trouble as is, not to mention poor Skarsnik. Letting an Empire faction settle the mountains without penalty seems somewhat of an odd decision as well. But there, I'm getting into it again. Certainly any new faction should be able to have an early game threat as well, and this is easily done with Averland by adding a Greenskin incursion coming through Blackfire Pass. That way Marius has to deal with that before expanding in any direction. By the time that is done it might be time to deal with buddy the homicidal vampire, known as Vlad. Still getting into it, urgh.

Any concerns about AI Marius making the Empire wipe out all comers, including vampires, could be alleviated by making the AI Defensive for his faction. That way he could easily form a shield for the Empire without murdering everyone. And I do believe that the Empire requires a shield because you often find yourself fighting the Vampires by turn 30 at least as one way or another one of them usually comes for you and the intervening provinces of Stirland and Averland currently are little but a minor speed bump. I recognize that sometimes it plays out differently, but I think most here agree that isn't the norm.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,280
    Saitoh said:

He's known to be a genius tactician. You could easily give him AoE buffs.

@Michael4537 that's a silly point to put forward. Just because you think CA might not add certain things means we should add the province with the least personality in the empire, the least unique units and a start that isn't as good as other options. All averland brings is a horse riding imperial general.

At the very least: borris and Elspeth could be templates for future content if CA wanted to add onto them but Marius is a dead end.

Even if Marius isn't a joke character people want him in the game because of the lolz and I think that's a silly reason to have him over other characters and regions that are of more gameplay and cultural significance to the world and the empire. Borris might also be a bit boring gameplay wise but atleast he's got the cult of Ulric and a massive amount of the missing units in his cult and region.

You missed my point. This has turned from a "why do you like Marius" to a "Maruis shouldn't be included because I don't like him" thread. Which is fine, but my point is that this discussion is pretty much pointless now. You and other people don't want Marius, or at least would prefer other characters. I and others want Marius or at least prefer him over others. After all this discussion, to you Marius is still the uninteresting leader of a nobody province. Nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise, since all the points have already been stated. Not discrediting your opinion, because who should be added is very much opinion based, but I just don't see the point of continuing a discussion that can't really go anywhere from here.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,193
    I want Marius because he's one of the few Elector Counts with a personality, would give us a new start position, plus put a break on the expansionism of the Vampire Counts.

Still, de gustibus etc, etc.

Plus could you imagine the Events for Marius? They'd be a hoot.

"You meet a powerful Bretonnian noble on a diplomatic mission at court. Sadly his wife is famed for her ill-favoured appearance. Do you.."

1) Fulsomely compliment her beauty (Plus 20 relations with all Bretonnian factions)
    2) Politely exchange greetings (Plus 10 relations with all Bretonnian factions)
    3) Grimace and leave the room quickly (Minus 10 relations with all Bretonnian factions)
    4) Jump on a table screaming "Sweet Sigmar save me, a troll, a troll!!" (Minus 20 relations with all Bretonnian factions)

"Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • summertimelovinsummertimelovin Registered Users Posts: 366
    I'm all for Marius to be in. His value isn't in the units he brings with him but rather the possible campaign and battle mechanics that would set him apart from the others, while strategically also protecting the empire from vampire and greenskin incursions since the dwarfs are looking pretty weak lately. He would do well as flc alongside some empire dlc. Statwise, he could be like Lokhir with some random temporary traits a la Harkon. He is quite the renaissance man so CA can have liberties with which units he buffs and whatnot. In short, he brings a lot of flavor without using to much resources.

While on the topic of additional lords for the empire, I would prefer they add the amethyst wizard as a hero instead of Elspeth as a lord option.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,869
    I'm getting the suspicion you don't want him because you don't want any serious roadblocks to total vampire dominance.

I'm getting the suspicion you don't want him because you don't want any serious roadblocks to total vampire dominance.

Ephraim's working on his conspiracy theory, and you've become his next interest. ;)
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,860
    Kislev and Middenland would be adequate hindrance to the Vamps while still allowing them to actually expand and become a threat.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • DerpyRoxasDerpyRoxas Registered Users Posts: 3,242
    Arsenic said:

I want Marius because he's one of the few Elector Counts with a personality, would give us a new start position, plus put a break on the expansionism of the Vampire Counts.

Still, de gustibus etc, etc.

Plus could you imagine the Events for Marius? They'd be a hoot.

"You meet a powerful Bretonnian noble on a diplomatic mission at court. Sadly his wife is famed for her ill-favoured appearance. Do you.."

1) Fulsomely compliment her beauty (Plus 20 relations with all Bretonnian factions)
    2) Politely exchange greetings (Plus 10 relations with all Bretonnian factions)
    3) Grimace and leave the room quickly (Minus 10 relations with all Bretonnian factions)
    4) Jump on a table screaming "Sweet Sigmar save me, a troll, a troll!!" (Minus 20 relations with all Bretonnian factions)

It's not that they don't have personality, it's that they are often forgotten in angles of WH lore history. Even Marius backstory reported in this thread has been around for a while, and had some sources to back it up.
    The background of the others has been lost in time, or simply did not emerge to feel "unique". This is one of the reasons why Marius was even superior to Chadbringer in TT for popularity alone. Hilarious rules also ensured his infamy.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,351
    I don't.

I want Wulfhart on the hunt up by Norsca, and Von Draken in Wissenland. Toddbringer should be implemented, preferably with his cavalry, because he's already bleeding there, and should be highly antagonistic.

The nutter is being seriously overplayed in terms of his uniqueness when much more diverse characters exist, and his position on the map is truly problematic for Vlad. Yeah, he's nuts. So is the entire Skaven faction, and gobs of other characters.

Add a bulwark to the north and south, and there wont be any more precipitous collapses. Throw in a caustic element to keep Franz busy with an intractable Middenland and Nordland that don't fold like a lawn chair once the war breaks out, and VC will still be able to consolidate before the confederation bomb wipes them out.
    edited March 2019
    psychoak said:

I don't.

I want Wulfhart on the hunt up by Norsca, and Von Draken in Wissenland. Toddbringer should be implemented, preferably with his cavalry, because he's already bleeding there, and should be highly antagonistic.

The nutter is being seriously overplayed in terms of his uniqueness when much more diverse characters exist, and his position on the map is truly problematic for Vlad. Yeah, he's nuts. So is the entire Skaven faction, and gobs of other characters.

Add a bulwark to the north and south, and there wont be any more precipitous collapses. Throw in a caustic element to keep Franz busy with an intractable Middenland and Nordland that don't fold like a lawn chair once the war breaks out, and VC will still be able to consolidate before the confederation bomb wipes them out.

"when much more diverse characters exist"
    So Helborg then considering the amount of work GW did with him and that the Empire doesn't have a Grand Master character added yet as they already have a Battle Wizard Lord from Gelt, an Arch Lector though Volkmar and Generals of the Empire through Boris and Franz.

"his position on the map is truly problematic for Vlad"
    Doesn't really hold ground in Mortal Empires where there are two lords starting in the same province of Headhunter's Jungle that has Teclis, Vampire Coast and which ever Lizardmen lord is going to Itza nearby and we do have lords of different races bordering each other from the Fey Enchantress and Orion, Red Duke (technically one) and Alberic, Durthu and Skaksnik and Ailith Anar and Morathi.

Diverse starting positions hold more weight something which Wissenland lacks due to being right next to Reikland unlike Ostland and Averland locations not right next to an Empire starting position because the Empire doesn't lack space that they must start next to an Empire starting position.

• ReghisReghis Registered Users Posts: 936
    psychoak said:

Vlad and Manfred are truly problematic for the empire to survive atleast till turn 100
    My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial, can you say the same?

• BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Reghis said:

psychoak said:

Vlad and Manfred are truly problematic for the empire to survive atleast till turn 100
    Cos after 100 turn empire is destroyed?

Nvm it joke so whatever
    Marius might be bonkers, but he's more benign bonkers than the rats or Harkon and company.