Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Original Rome 2

devaleradevalera MemberPosts: 41Registered Users
I have the original boxed version and was wondering if there is anyway I can get back to this version without going through Steam and getting all the updates that have been added. All I seem to do when playing R2 these days is having to look at all the character traits and try to please this or that character and doing something with the family tree which I still don't fully understand anyway, its all got a bit complicated to my liking anyway. Only my opinion as I Know I am in the minority. Thanks for any help folks in trying to get back to the game as it was when first published.
Tagged:

Comments

• CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,161Registered Users
    Interesting thought considering how much grief the out of the box version got
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,629Registered Users
    devalera said:

I have the original boxed version and was wondering if there is anyway I can get back to this version without going through Steam and getting all the updates that have been added. All I seem to do when playing R2 these days is having to look at all the character traits and try to please this or that character and doing something with the family tree which I still don't fully understand anyway, its all got a bit complicated to my liking anyway. Only my opinion as I Know I am in the minority. Thanks for any help folks in trying to get back to the game as it was when first published.

You are aware that would give you the old siege AI, right? The one it took 14 patches to get to work, right?

• dreagondreagon Senior Member Posts: 1,832Registered Users
    There are mods that give +1000 loyalty to all parties, making the politics system basically irrelevant. I personally use it because I want to conquer the world, not bicker and fight with faction members every x number of turns.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft
    dreagon said:

There are mods that give +1000 loyalty to all parties, making the politics system basically irrelevant. I personally use it because I want to conquer the world, not bicker and fight with faction members every x number of turns.

I actually like having to take care of internal politics. That's actually what threatened large Empires a lot more once the outside enemies no longer posed a challenge.

dreagon said:

I actually like having to take care of internal politics. That's actually what threatened large Empires a lot more once the outside enemies no longer posed a challenge.
    To each their own. But it just looks like OP doesn't share your opinion.
    dreagon said:

dreagon said:

Launch version Rome2 still has that automatic civil war which spawns a dozen stacks around your capital, so if anything he's getting it a lot worse.

dreagon said:

dreagon said:

Launch version Rome2 still has that automatic civil war which spawns a dozen stacks around your capital, so if anything he's getting it a lot worse.
    True, but you didn't have to babysit factions and it could only happen once.
    dreagon said:

dreagon said:

dreagon said:

True, but you didn't have to babysit factions and it could only happen once.
    But it happened every campaign. You can avoid it completely with the new system.

• hoomhoom Posts: 83Registered Users
    edited March 16
    From recollection the original boxed version just had the Steam pre-cache files which were significantly outdated immediately by launchday patches.

Possibly in theory you could delete the game, install via DVD and quickly set Steam to disable updates.
    But from recollection even when I first installed from the DVD Steam just ignored the old files on the disk & downloaded latest version from the net.

You can roll-back to Patch 16 (the longstanding 2014 'final' patch before recent patches with family tree etc) via Steam Properties -> Beta tab.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...
  • devaleradevalera Member Posts: 41Registered Users
    Thank you all for your advice and help>