Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Hype Poll

TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior MemberPosts: 730Registered Users
So, I have been accused of posting this in none-neutral ground (A.K.A. Reddit) so here it is, in the heart of the 3K fanbase: Straw Poll
We kill-slay all surface-things yes yes? Wait... no no... beard-things are not not surface-things... kill beard-things too... and surface things... yes yes.

I add this image of Ikit Claw to beak up the monotony that threads can fall into (except the screenshot one). I take no credit for it and the author seems to be watermarked on it.

Comments

• 19930423LDr19930423LDr Posts: 47Registered Users
    If it weren't for the setting of 3K I literally wouldn't even care about TW right now. None of the games have been particularly fun for me since Shogun 2.
  • Matthewhill1993Matthewhill1993 Posts: 62Registered Users
    I’m suprised by the results so far.

I honestly expected more from Three Kingdoms, I wonder why people aren’t overly fussed?
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 869Registered Users
    I think it’s a pretty logical outcome. Warhammer has proven gameplay and content over the years where as 3k has been delayed twice. People tend to be more sceptical towards the new.
  • AryndelinAryndelin Junior Member Posts: 1,164Registered Users
    edited March 14

I honestly expected more from Three Kingdoms, I wonder why people aren’t overly fussed?

Three kingdoms isn't a well known setting for most people in the west.

Add in that warhammer dragged in a huge amount of people from the warhammer fanbase aswell as fantasy fans and it's really no big suprise that it is more hyped than 3K. Oh and finally, 3K was pushed back twice which killed the hype somewhat.

I'm not saying chinese history and culture is boring (it's the opposite, i find it more interesting than american and european history and culture), but most people favor what they find more familiar.
  • TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Posts: 730Registered Users
    Aryndelin said:

Add in that warhammer dragged in a huge amount of people from the warhammer fanbase aswell as fantasy fans and it's really no big suprise that it is more hyped than 3K. Oh and finally, 3K was pushed back twice which killed the hype somewhat.

I'm not saying chinese history and culture is boring (it's the opposite, i find it more interesting than american and european history and culture), but most people favor what they find more familiar.
    Also as someone said on reddit... ptobably most of the 3K hype is in China itself... and they probably don't really brose the forums.
    We kill-slay all surface-things yes yes? Wait... no no... beard-things are not not surface-things... kill beard-things too... and surface things... yes yes.

I add this image of Ikit Claw to beak up the monotony that threads can fall into (except the screenshot one). I take no credit for it and the author seems to be watermarked on it.

Aryndelin said:

Also as someone said on reddit... ptobably most of the 3K hype is in China itself... and they probably don't really brose the forums.
    That and there's also the fact that these foums don't house all that many people ;) With warhammer being an active game with a DLC coming up its understandable that it receives more attention :)

It's by no means an indication of 3K will sell well or not.
  • TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Posts: 730Registered Users
    Aryndelin said:

Aryndelin said:

That and there's also the fact that these foums don't house all that many people ;) With warhammer being an active game with a DLC coming up its understandable that it receives more attention :)

I actually did this (for all intents and purposes, pointless) poll on a whim to comment on another thread... did not expect it to receive this much attention :))

Aryndelin said:

Aryndelin said:

I actually did this (for all intents and purposes, pointless) poll on a whim to comment on another thread... did not expect it to receive this much attention :))
    It's not entirely pointless. ;) Its fun to see where the hype is :P
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 696Registered Users
    edited March 14
    Nah. That was really an unfair poll that anyone could tell the answer for. Warhammer is a completely diffrent beast from totalwar on it's own, not even considering 3k.

Warhammer existed before TW, there are fans that do not touch computer games, that bought high end gaming PCs just to play TW:WH.

There are fantasy fans that dont give a single fig about history that wanted elves and dwarves running around killing each other.

There is no poll you can run that WH fantasy will lose in, unless 40K is involved.

The DLC they are waiting for is legendary lords. No new races, skaven and lizardmen. So the mechanics will even be minor. Maybe a new magic school for a race, some new unit cost reductions, but in the end it's the same. And warhammer community is litterally drooling over it.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 1,237Registered Users
    edited March 14
    Lesama and Aryndelin make good points; the two delays have seriously impeded the game's hype, and the Three Kingdoms period just isn't as well known in the west to begin with. If this was Medieval 3 we were talking about, the forums would probably crash from all the traffic. And Warhammer is a really good game, probably the best in the series so far.

I have to completely agree with Yaafm, though.

Total War has always occupied a bit of a niche, because it blends together two video game genres - Real-time Tactics and Turn-Based Strategy. Some people prefer one over the other, others may not have any interest in one of the two; but for people who love both, Total War has always been their go-to game.

Warhammer was huge success for CA, and it introduced hundreds of thousands of new players to the TW series. The problem is - and Yaafm is completely correct here - a lot of people who got into Total War because of Warhammer don't actually give a toss about the historical TW games. I've spoken to Warhammer fans who never payed a Total War game before Warhammer, and they've said that they have zero interest in the series after Warhammer.

And I mean no offence to any Warhammer fans, but some of them are almost rabid in their preference for Total War: Warhammer. How many times have we all seen somebody comment on one of CA's Facebook posts or YouTube videos saying "Nobody cares about the Historical games anymore, when are we getting more Warhammer content?"

So, when you add a surge of new players who feel very strongly about their preferred game, then of course the results of this poll are going to be heavily skewed in favor of the Warhammer option.
    Post edited by Whiskeyjack_5691 on
  • Red11sgbRed11sgb Posts: 16Registered Users
    I also think WH TW has won over a lot of historical guys like myself. I've always enjoyed the historical Total War games but the fun of Warhammer has my attention at the moment and 3K isn't getting me excited like the DLC for Warhammer.
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 584Registered Users
    I'm pretty excited for TW:3K, and I am feeling pretty burned out on Warhammer. I doubt I will buy the next Warhammer DLC, where as TW:3k is a for sure purchase on release.

I have been playing Rome II to scratch my TW itch.

I'm pretty excited for TW:3K, and I am feeling pretty burned out on Warhammer. I doubt I will buy the next Warhammer DLC, where as TW:3k is a for sure purchase on release.

Honestly, I'm kind of burned out from Warhammer too. Haven't even turned it on since... January, I think? I mean, it's a great game (probably the best in the series), but CA has been rolling with it for almost 3 years now. A minor DLC that adds two new starting characters and a handful of new units to two existing factions isn't going to freshen-up the game enough for me to go back to it anytime soon. Usually I buy Total War DLC as soon as it becomes available, but I genuinely think the next Warhammer DLC is the first one I'll skip.

Honestly, I'm kind of burned out from Warhammer too. Haven't even turned it on since... January, I think? I mean, it's a great game (probably the best in the series), but CA has been rolling with it for almost 3 years now. A minor DLC that adds two new starting characters and a handful of new units to two existing factions isn't going to freshen-up the game enough for me to go back to it anytime soon. Usually I buy Total War DLC as soon as it becomes available, but I genuinely think the next Warhammer DLC is the first one I'll skip.
    Im specifically not playing any Total Wars atm so I dont get burned out. Im a very 'one and done' person and wont touch it again usually for months after I play hard for a while, to many other games out there, so I dont want to burn out on TW style gameplay right now.

Ya I don't get some of the posts comparing a WH DLC with 3K. I'll probably still get the DLC when it comes out, but hype levels are completely different. 3K is a new game with new mechanics and setting. I pretty much already know what WH is and will be
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Posts: 292Registered Users

Lesama and Aryndelin make good points; the two delays have seriously impeded the game's hype, and the Three Kingdoms period just isn't as well known in the west to begin with. If this was Medieval 3 we were talking about, the forums would probably crash from all the traffic. And Warhammer is a really good game, probably the best in the series so far.

I have to completely agree with Yaafm, though.

Total War has always occupied a bit of a niche, because it blends together two video game genres - Real-time Tactics and Turn-Based Strategy. Some people prefer one over the other, others may not have any interest in one of the two; but for people who love both, Total War has always been their go-to game.

Warhammer was huge success for CA, and it introduced hundreds of thousands of new players to the TW series. The problem is - and Yaafm is completely correct here - a lot of people who got into Total War because of Warhammer don't actually give a toss about the historical TW games. I've spoken to Warhammer fans who never payed a Total War game before Warhammer, and they've said that they have zero interest in the series after Warhammer.

And I mean no offence to any Warhammer fans, but some of them are almost rabid in their preference for Total War: Warhammer. How many times have we all seen somebody comment on one of CA's Facebook posts or YouTube videos saying "Nobody cares about the Historical games anymore, when are we getting more Warhammer content?"

So, when you add a surge of new players who feel very strongly about their preferred game, then of course the results of this poll are going to be heavily skewed in favor of the Warhammer option.

Couldnt agree more my dude, its funny because im the exact opposite. Snatched up Rome 1 because of the historical aspect way back in the day, and absolutely hated Warhammer (just couldnt get into it) Happy we are going back to Historical but what you say there at the end is so true.

Anytime I see something pop up somewhere like facebook a bunch of people are doing the Warhammer praise, like yall know there where fans of the Total War series before you all came around right ?! (glad CA brought in more people though)
    edited March 15
    Ya, I don't hate Warhammer, it's a good game, but at the end of the day it's still just another TW game to me. From what I've been reading on reddit and this forum, it's obvious many are here specifically for WH and not TW in general as a franchise.

Yaafm really puts it into perspective. WH fans are salivating for a lord pack, not even a new race pack, and they're more looking forward to that than a new TW game in a new setting with new mechanics. That's basically unthinkable to me. Even ToB would be more exciting to me than a lord pack.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 574Registered Users
    I was beyond hyped when the release trailer first dropped, it was followed of months of nothing and occasional reveals showing that the game clearly isn’t ready. Then the odd feature cut really grinds my gear.

The setting is the only reason why I’m still keeping tab.
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 688Registered Users
    Ever since WH came out I can't help but feel that they've kinda took the place over. I've lost count of how many comments on all platforms outright demanding CA to drop the historical titles entirely to focus exclusively on WH.
    Sigmar wills it!
    Breadbox said:

I was beyond hyped when the release trailer first dropped, it was followed of months of nothing and occasional reveals showing that the game clearly isn’t ready. Then the odd feature cut really grinds my gear.

To be perfectly honest, my hype for 3K has died down significantly too. The two delays aside, the marketing for the game was practically non-existent for so long that people actually forgot it even existed. As Breadbox said, months would go by without any news on the game, and I found myself scrutinizing interviews for some new scrap of info.

Not to mention the lacklustre communication from CA in general has not helped the game; we only found out that Naval Battles were scrapped when a third party broke the news, and people's questions and requests for basic info have gone unanswered and ignored. Hell, the only reason they even acknowledged the question about unit sizes was because a couple of guys spammed the bejesus out of CA during a livestream.

It seems like every stream we find out about another cut feature or see another instance of the game being far less ready then they let on, and it's honestly getting very irritating.
  • juankkjuankk Posts: 196Registered Users
    Hype went away with siege equipment and naval welfare
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 869Registered Users

Breadbox said:

To be perfectly honest, my hype for 3K has died down significantly too. The two delays aside, the marketing for the game was practically non-existent for so long that people actually forgot it even existed. As Breadbox said, months would go by without any news on the game, and I found myself scrutinizing interviews for some new scrap of info.

Not to mention the lacklustre communication from CA in general has not helped the game; we only found out that Naval Battles were scrapped when a third party broke the news, and people's questions and requests for basic info have gone unanswered and ignored. Hell, the only reason they even acknowledged the question about unit sizes was because a couple of guys spammed the bejesus out of CA during a livestream.

It seems like every stream we find out about another cut feature or see another instance of the game being far less ready then they let on, and it's honestly getting very irritating.
    Well spoken and unfortunately so very true!
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 688Registered Users

Breadbox said:

This is concerning because generally speaking when companies do this, it's because the game is crap, they know it's crap, and they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
    Sigmar wills it!
    edited March 15
    mahboi1 said:

Ever since WH came out I can't help but feel that they've kinda took the place over. I've lost count of how many comments on all platforms outright demanding CA to drop the historical titles entirely to focus exclusively on WH.

Whenever Wh and 3K are mentioned in the same post, it always sort of feels like the WH people aren't really talking about TW, but more like they're fighting for TWWH's existence.

Like I'm here talking about 3K's problems and they're on some other level pulling **** out of their ass. It's super obvious they haven't watched any of the streams or even have basic knowledge about 3K.

Not to discredit 3K's problems, but it's obvious some people have an axe to grind.
    Post edited by 19930423LDr on
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 584Registered Users
    mahboi1 said:

Breadbox said:

This is concerning because generally speaking when companies do this, it's because the game is crap, they know it's crap, and they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
    So, you feel like CA is doing weekly streams of their product, which shows both strengths and weaknesses of the game to "pull the wool over our eyes"? The game may or may not be "crap", as that is subject to opinion. However, I feel like we have a fairly transparent look into how the game will be, and should likely perform.
  • GeneralOusenGeneralOusen Posts: 15Registered Users

Breadbox said:

my problem is that my guts tell me there gona go KOEI on this and put out a lot of cosmetic DLC out or screw the game from start on like rome 2 and TOB with incompetence.

Breadbox said:

my problem is that my guts tell me there gona go KOEI on this and put out a lot of cosmetic DLC out or screw the game from start on like rome 2 and TOB with incompetence.
    But Rome 2 appereantly got a ton better, and is the second most played Total War game on steam. If you go buy history with CA, you can expect new factions, blood pack, new 'lords' (probbaly unique units in this), mini campaines that focus on intensely fought areas, and potentially new grand campaines in China but diffrent time period.
    Yaafm said:

Breadbox said:

But Rome 2 appereantly got a ton better, and is the second most played Total War game on steam. If you go buy history with CA, you can expect new factions, blood pack, new 'lords' (probbaly unique units in this), mini campaines that focus on intensely fought areas, and potentially new grand campaines in China but diffrent time period.
    ToB never got any DLCs.

Yaafm said:

Breadbox said:

ToB never got any DLCs.
    ToB is a Saga game. Like stand alone DLC.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Posts: 135Registered Users
    Yaafm said:

Nah. That was really an unfair poll that anyone could tell the answer for. Warhammer is a completely diffrent beast from totalwar on it's own, not even considering 3k.

Warhammer existed before TW, there are fans that do not touch computer games, that bought high end gaming PCs just to play TW:WH.

There are fantasy fans that dont give a single fig about history that wanted elves and dwarves running around killing each other.

There is no poll you can run that WH fantasy will lose in, unless 40K is involved.

The DLC they are waiting for is legendary lords. No new races, skaven and lizardmen. So the mechanics will even be minor. Maybe a new magic school for a race, some new unit cost reductions, but in the end it's the same. And warhammer community is litterally drooling over it.

i used to be a history player played every game except for shogun 1, and then came dwai, daemons, pointy ears, dragons i mean dragons, dinos ... it is just impossible to play a history game right now.so yeah it is the game right now. and please give the vote link at tw sub forum.