Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Imbalanced Enemy Armies

GroskrvvGroskrvv Registered Users Posts: 41
edited September 4 in General Discussion
I am extremely frustrated with my enemy recruiting compositions where the majority of the army consists of special and rare units. It does not make the game more difficult, it makes it dysfunctional. I don't want to play against Dark Elves if they are going to bring 5 war hydras. Do not get me wrong. I could easily bring five star dragons, five dragon princes and stack the rest of my force with phoenix guard. This is not about difficulty. I want there to be some sort of common sense in this game, I want rare and special units to be just that. Rare and special. It ruins my immersion. If I wanted to see 10 monsters fighting 10 other monsters I would buy a game with that content. The promise of total war is the experience of proper battlefield action between nations, and all of its games fail to provide this promise. Warhammer more so than the others. Weird, unrealistic enemy armies is outright misleading game sale.

I have been using Helljumper's AI recruitment. But even that fails to provide balance sufficiently in the late came.

It is not to say some or even most of the players do not enjoy a gameplay where rare units are commonplace. However the game should give us the option to play realistically. I do not believe that this is hard to achieve. I do not think this would make the game too easy either, as any seasoned total war player would know, the game is easy as it is no matter how hard you rig it against the player. Difficulty is not why I play total war; I play for campaign and battlefield immersion.

Post edited by Groskrvv on

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 25,937
    True dat. Lategame doomstacking is lame AF. The same four units over and over again. CA has dropped the ball on AI recruitment.

• mightygloinmightygloin Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    edited March 2019
    Alternatively you can use Tabletop unit caps mod in workshop. It leads to more balanced armies without doomstacking.
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Registered Users Posts: 797
    Try using this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1456828999
    it's a mod that hard caps the number of certain units in armies based on the number of points they're worth, in the same vein as TT.
    Sigmar wills it!
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,970
    Groskrvv said:

I am extremely frustrated with my enemy recruiting compositions where the majority of the army consists of special and rare units. It does not make the game more difficult, it makes it dysfunctional. I don't want to play against Dark Elves if they are going to bring 5 war hydras. Do not get me wrong. I could easily bring five star dragons, five dragon princes and stack the rest of my force with phoenix guard. This is not about difficulty. I want there to be some sort of common sense in this game, I want rare and special units to be just that. Rare and special. It ruins my immersion. If I wanted to see 10 monsters fighting 10 other monsters I would buy a game with that content. The promise of total war is the experience of proper battlefield action between nations, and all of its games fail to provide this promise. Warhammer more so than the others. Weird, unrealistic enemy armies is outright misleading game sale.

Right? Precisely what's been bothering me lately, too.

The tabletop actually has rules about how many of those units you can put in an army. TWWH does not - and suffers for it greatly. Unfortunately there's enough idiots out there that squeal in joy about bringing those ridiculous armies that CA caters to them instead of trying to fulfill the original promise of TW.

There's almost no point in army compositions that make sense in this game. All you need to do is bring your highest tier stuff and attack-move into the enemy.

Like so many games before them... TW seems to be inching towards promoting MP and just giving up on their SP/AI game experience. Pretty soon this will be Call of Total War: Warhammer Duty.

I remember when Shogun came out and the game was hailed for having amazing AI compared to every other game out there :(

• GroskrvvGroskrvv Registered Users Posts: 41
    mahboi1 said:

Try using this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1456828999
    it's a mod that hard caps the number of certain units in armies based on the number of points they're worth, in the same vein as TT.

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

I can understand how some players might like it the way it is. Total war should lend more weight to options and modularity.

• NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,860
    Itharus said:

Groskrvv said:

Like so many games before them... TW seems to be inching towards promoting MP and just giving up on their SP/AI game experience. Pretty soon this will be Call of Total War: Warhammer Duty.

This is just laughable and so incorrect. All MP has gotten since Shogun 2 besides reduced features is a free for all mode. Which is rarely played. On top of that people have been asking for improved campaign multiplayer since it became a thing. Never been improved.

Your statement is so factually wrong it boggles my mind as to how anyone can come up with that idea. They improve SP/AI with every game. It's not great but gets better.

Recruitment may be an issue but to blame MP for taking the time to away from improving it is laughable
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    Another topic requesting essentially a non-magic, non-fantasy version of WFB. I am so looking forward to WH3 being released and people droning on and on and on about how they want realistic armies from the ogres and the daemons without all that monstrous nonsense. And how about more regular dwarf infantry and less war machines from the chaos dwarves?

And of course these same people are just about always playing with strongly buffed AI econ and reduced upkeep (aka VH / Legendary) in order to get a "real challenge" while these same people also want a stronger AI that makes better choices.

What does that mean, then? An AI that could easily afford to recruit a dragon tier unit should refrain from doing so and instead recruit a regular freaking spearman? And if the AI fielded lots of spearmen even though it could recruit much better then there'd be no complaints about the AI making rubbish choices, would there?

Oh, but then the player just has to be arbitrarily limited from recruiting strong stuff as well, so the player cannot exploit intentionally weak AI recruitment!! Take player choice away and it all works out!!!

How about garrisons, then? AI spearmen hordes will get their skulls caved in by some of the stronger garrisons so of course all the garrisons have to be rebalanced and reworked and whatnot. What does crap garrisons everywhere mean? It means the main way of dealing with AI outnumbering and harass is gone, which in turn means the core gameplay and AI behavior has to be further reconsidered.

A couple of factions are also kind of rubbish without their monstrous component so they will have to be rebalanced, which in turn will likely mean almost everything has to get another balance pass.

So now we're reaching the point where CA should basically rewrite the entire freaking AI, redo all AI related testing, probably rework a lot of core mechanics, and probably do another full balance pass, and all this so we only rarely get to see all the cooler units in the game that cost CA many, many Charlemagnes to create in the first place!

All that time and effort invested in something that doesn't generate any revenue, and it will all be for naught anyway when WH3 is released with very little in the way of classic TW armies and enormous amounts of monstrous critters.

*sighs*
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 9,324
    Well said OP
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.

Another topic requesting essentially a non-magic, non-fantasy version of WFB.

Yes, arguing that the game should favor balanced armies over doomstacks instead of the other way around is totally demanding to de-fantasize the game.

If you deliberately miss by several nautical miles like that, don't bother.

• AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Registered Users Posts: 4,448
    I fought a crooked moon stack with 18 catapults

Itharus said:

Groskrvv said:

The tabletop actually has rules about how many of those units you can put in an army. TWWH does not - and suffers for it greatly. Unfortunately there's enough idiots out there that squeal in joy about bringing those ridiculous armies that CA caters to them instead of trying to fulfill the original promise of TW.

There's almost no point in army compositions that make sense in this game. All you need to do is bring your highest tier stuff and attack-move into the enemy.

I remember when Shogun came out and the game was hailed for having amazing AI compared to every other game out there :(

TT was designed around the idea that two players would bring forces of the same approximate size and power and that such an engagement should be reasonably fun for both players.

In the game there's no assumption of approximate force equality. Thus it makes very little sense to use TT army composition rules as a strong indicator of what a particular faction is even allowed to bring in a single army.

You mention "army compositions that make sense". What does that even mean? Would it be remotely sensible for Grimgor to bring a lot of goblins to battle if he could have brought black orcs? Would Grimgor ever do that? Would the Dark Elves, numerically inferior to just about everyone else, really insist on bringing lots and lots and lots of infantry if they had access to enough hydras?

The TKs are a bit special, which is why unit caps make sense for them. Their characters must be found and reawoken and sustained through magic, their troops must be sustained through magic, and their statues must be animated and sustained through magic. To my knowledge, no new tomb princes or kings can be created and no new statues are being carved out.

Would VC varghulfs be subject to such limitations? Skaven HPAs? Lizardmen carnosaurs? DE hydras? No, not really. The Skaven can create as many abominations as they want, given enough time and drugs. Varghulfs are warped and mutated vampires. Carnosaurs presumably breed and may well be numerous. Hydras may well breed and not be near extinction. Mammoths may well be common enough, if hard to domesticate. Giants are somewhat numerous for a tier 5 critter and presumably breed.

So would those global unit caps for TK really make sense when applied to other factions? I don't think so. Would armies therefore make more sense if subjected to arbitrary caps that themselves don't make sense? I don't think so.
  • KaffeemannKaffeemann Registered Users Posts: 138
    CA should get rid of the 20 unit army limit and add a point system similar to TT.
    But I'm afraid they won't change a single thing about the current system :/

Another topic requesting essentially a non-magic, non-fantasy version of WFB.

Yes, arguing that the game should favor balanced armies over doomstacks instead of the other way around is totally demanding to de-fantasize the game.

If you deliberately miss by several nautical miles like that, don't bother.
    You're deliberately ignoring what a "balanced army" is, aren't you?

Anyway, no, I'm not going to get into this heated back-and-forth today. Sorry.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 3,383
    Hi mister/missus lore knight let me redirect you to the nearest AI recruitment mod.... your welcome

Sometimes it rocks my boat being able to make wacky armies and who are you to force your "it´s immersive breaking that monsters are not rare like in the lorebooks.. please gieb limits on unit recruitment" agenda down my throat.

Please stop advocating for taking choices away from the game, if you are so dead set on getting a loreful experience well go find or create a mod that suits your needs thanks.

Have a nice day
    Reeks said:

Hi mister/missus lore knight let me redirect you to the nearest AI recruitment mod.... your welcome

Sometimes it rocks my boat being able to make wacky armies and who are you to force your "it´s immersive breaking that monsters are not rare like in the lorebooks.. please gieb limits on unit recruitment" agenda down my throat.

Please stop advocating for taking choices away from the game, if you are so dead set on getting a loreful experience well go find or create a mod that suits your needs thanks.

Have a nice day

Hi mr/missus powergamer can we get the option for balanced armies as we are many that think those are fun to play with and against?

Can you please not try to cram your agenda down our throats?

Have a great day!
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
    edited March 2019

Reeks said:

Have a nice day

Hi mr/missus powergamer can we get the option for balanced armies as we are many that think those are fun to play with and against?

Have a great day!
    Hi mr/missus boll it´s in the end a question about who is having too mod the game, and since it will take a ton of changes and balance passes from CA´s side to implement your "lore be4 fun game mode" it i´d rather direct you to the nearest mod and have CA spending resources on something that will in fact improve the game, such as new units/factions/mechanics

Have a splendid day sincerely kind regards and well wishes

Reeks!
    Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Have a nice day

Have a great day!
    Hi mr/missus boll it´s in the end a question about who is having too mod the game, and since it will take a ton of changes and balance passes from CA´s side to implement your "lore be4 fun game mode" it i´d rather direct you to the nearest mod and have CA spending resources on something that will in fact improve the game, such as new units/factions/mechanics

Reeks!
    No!!

If we get the option for balanced armies no mods will be needed for any of us!

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Have a nice day

Have a great day!

Reeks!
    No!!

What you see as "balance" i see as "choice limiting" so yes let me direct you towards the "loreful" mods section where you can have your cravings sated
    You should have to mod the game for doomstacks, not the other way around. Doomstacking is primitive, braindead BS. CA dropped tha ball so often on this game, they need to pick one up once in a while.

You should have to mod the game for doomstacks, not the other way around. Doomstacking is primitive, braindead BS. CA dropped tha ball so often on this game, they need to pick one up once in a while.

No you should have to mod the game for "samey stacks" as you have to do currently...... live with it and embrace it, "loreful mods" are available use them and stop droning on for CA to use resources on something insignificant thanks.
    edited March 2019
    Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Have a nice day

Have a great day!

Reeks!
    No!!

What you see as "balance" i see as "choice limiting" so yes let me direct you towards the "loreful" mods section where you can have your cravings sated
    So it limits choice if CA adds an option for balanced armies?

Lol

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Reeks said:

Have a nice day

Have a great day!

Reeks!
    No!!

So it limits choice if CA adds an option for balanced armies?

Lol

Oh you´r advocating for a option that´s something else entirely, sure i go for having it in the game if it´s a "toggle" before campaign start, and keeping in mind that it would not take resources from new race/faction/units
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 1,891
    There are three solutions to this:

1. Use a mod - this is what I do but it can break my game, I need to wait until it is updated, etc. Not the perfect solution from my perspective, particularly as not all modders, make compatibility for their introduced units.

2. CA introduces army composition or building/unit recruitment limitations - this would be great for me but my preference does not invalidate the preference of others. (no matter how much I dislike it :) )

3. CA introduces options to gameplay setup. Similar to how Crynos Faction Unlocker or the original mod configuration tool works. Except this will just be part of the official game. Best of both worlds for everyone except, it will add development time and cost.

Three would be my preferred option
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,068
    CA is averse to game setup options that many similar games have.
    No such things as AI aggressiveness toggle, rogue army spawn rate, game length that affects tech, recruitment and construction rate, no chaos spawn and difficulty options, AI recruitment options and so on.
    These could be configured and also not upset vanilla purists and not make the rest of the players rely on mods.
  • GroskrvvGroskrvv Registered Users Posts: 41

Another topic requesting essentially a non-magic, non-fantasy version of WFB. I am so looking forward to WH3 being released and people droning on and on and on about how they want realistic armies from the ogres and the daemons without all that monstrous nonsense. And how about more regular dwarf infantry and less war machines from the chaos dwarves?

And of course these same people are just about always playing with strongly buffed AI econ and reduced upkeep (aka VH / Legendary) in order to get a "real challenge" while these same people also want a stronger AI that makes better choices.

What does that mean, then? An AI that could easily afford to recruit a dragon tier unit should refrain from doing so and instead recruit a regular freaking spearman? And if the AI fielded lots of spearmen even though it could recruit much better then there'd be no complaints about the AI making rubbish choices, would there?

Oh, but then the player just has to be arbitrarily limited from recruiting strong stuff as well, so the player cannot exploit intentionally weak AI recruitment!! Take player choice away and it all works out!!!

How about garrisons, then? AI spearmen hordes will get their skulls caved in by some of the stronger garrisons so of course all the garrisons have to be rebalanced and reworked and whatnot. What does crap garrisons everywhere mean? It means the main way of dealing with AI outnumbering and harass is gone, which in turn means the core gameplay and AI behavior has to be further reconsidered.

A couple of factions are also kind of rubbish without their monstrous component so they will have to be rebalanced, which in turn will likely mean almost everything has to get another balance pass.

So now we're reaching the point where CA should basically rewrite the entire freaking AI, redo all AI related testing, probably rework a lot of core mechanics, and probably do another full balance pass, and all this so we only rarely get to see all the cooler units in the game that cost CA many, many Charlemagnes to create in the first place!

All that time and effort invested in something that doesn't generate any revenue, and it will all be for naught anyway when WH3 is released with very little in the way of classic TW armies and enormous amounts of monstrous critters.

*sighs*

I said before, and I say it now: I do not want what you say I want. In everything there is propriety. This game is based on a table top series, which categorizes different units as core, special, and rare. Having units in this order makes it more immersive for me. Capping this is not difficult and can be made optional for people who do not want this. I in no way suggested it was broken the way it is, I also remarked that most people might like it the way it is, and it is OK. This is just a difference in taste. In fact current modes are very close to providing this without burdening the firm. They just need a little fine-tuning that is all.

That being said. I did not play any historical tittles that was balanced in this angle either, some people say shogun was o'right but I am not very experienced in that game.
    Right now the game mechanics heavily enforce doomstacks.

1.Supply lines makes no difference between balanced army or doomstack so building the former is cost-inefficient

2.Skaven food makes no difference between balanced army or doomstack so building the former is cost-inefficient

3.Any and all chaff units (except VCoast's) lower AR considerably, so unless you want to fight every battle yourself, you are punished for not doomstacking

4.The AI will do nothing but doomstack from turn 20-50 onwards (depending on difficulty and except Bretonnia) so unless you have an army that can deal with elite spam you are strongly encouraged to doomstack yourself

All four of these are terrible and need to be fixed.

• HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 3,874
    TeB's current recruitment system would work. They took the already decent recruitment system it was released with and made it far more reliable and less chance based. Updating it to further to account for number of each unit fielded ect. would curtail elite spam. Open up the door to recruitment of any unit in the roster from turn 1 with buildings providing bonuses to recruitment rather than allowing for recruitment. Great system that deserves to be expanded upon.

I've got like a 9 paragraph response somewhere around here on it, and really don't feel like reiterating it. This very subject though, has been talked about to great length. Take a look around to pull ideas or mods if you go that route.
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,265
    Steel faith overhaul has never given me a single unbalanced enemy stack. So mods can definitely solve this problem for you.
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 1,773
    Itharus said:

Groskrvv said:

I like the sfo way of doing things. A tick box at the beginning which gives you a handful of different options on how armies are composed
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 20,108
    Several folks need to stop the bickering comments.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain