Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

3K Post-launch Fall of the Samurai like Expansion

takilung31takilung31 Posts: 640Registered Users
I've started to read the article in which CA explain when they were working on 3K

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases/

Meaning there's a huge chance of the game receiving an add on like Fall of the Samurai as in Shogun 2 if you read the article.

While periods like the Warring States, Seven Kingdoms, Mongols Invasion etc would be nice. In a marketing view, people in the west have literally no clue about the history of China other than 3K, with only a minority knowing Chinese history beyond Three Kingdoms. If you look at games such as Oriental Empires, it didn't receive many sales due to the fact that not many ppl in the first place is interested in Chinese history/ not interested in the setting. You guys made the right call for Three Kingdoms, as it is well known throughout China, Japan, Korea and most of Asia

If CA is really aiming for money, think about the possibility of doing Cathay for Warhammer 3

What is Cathay? Ancient China

Marketing wise, its good since it will draw people who are interested in Warhammer onto 3K and people who are only interested in historic games/3K onto Warhammer, and fantasy has been proven to be effective with the sales of Warhammer, even on the reddit it's full of Warhammer fans

This will also draw in the "Chinese market" in buying both 3K and Warhammer, since the visit from the Chinese community last time for 3K CA should have a grasp on whats going on.

Before the announcement of 3K, the chance of Cathay being on Warhammer 3 is close to 0. Now after 3K has been announced the possibility isn't 0 anymore, especially after what CA did on Vampire Coast and custom lord. Assets from 3K can be modified/reused. The map can be cut like on Mortal Empire, Cathay can also act as an expedition force without including the whole map. It would make sense since they are one of the very few good "Order" factions fighting off against Chaos. And on the Darklands, we are lacking good factions, if the game only has 4 Chaos faction the game won't sell well. Kislev will be a good addition as a pre-order bonus.

Obviously, all of this will heavily depend on the sales of 3K

Unique units like the Terracotta soldiers, stone dogs, celestial dragons and such would really fit Warhammer 3. As for the map

Dave Taylor did a conversation on Cathay army on the White Dwarf for Games workshop

https://imgur.com/a/BKy1UOK#7BPQviv

also please check out a reddit user by the name of lnsan1ty
https://www.reddit.com/user/lnsan1ty

who have made concept arts for Cathay and they are great, and he's still doing more as we speak in the time to come. the Community also likes it

If CA really wanted money, no way you guys will miss this!

Again all of this depends on if 3K was a success

Comments

• Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 1,330Registered Users
    Nowhere in that article was there an indication that 3K (which hadn't even been revealed at the time of that article) was going to receive an expansion akin to Fall of the Samurai. The expansion they are talking about is the Empire Divided DLC for Rome 2, which was the "older game" they were referring to.
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 640Registered Users

Nowhere in that article was there an indication that 3K (which hadn't even been revealed at the time of that article) was going to receive an expansion akin to Fall of the Samurai. The expansion they are talking about is the Empire Divided DLC for Rome 2, which was the "older game" they were referring to.

Yea that's in the case if they ever plan to make an expansion like they did with Fall of the Samurai, anyway in that article they mention they went back to Fall of the Samurai and do the base game (IE Default Shogun 2's way). So who knows when they might do an expansion. Obviously that will depends on whether Three Kingdom was a success or not

• MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 589Registered Users
    Are you saying that more people know about Cathay in Warhammer, than they do about other periods of Chinese history? I think most people know who Genghis Khan is. Where as for most people, Warhammer does not even register, let alone Cathay in Warhammer.

I find it likely that CA will do Fall of the Samurai type expansions for 3k. However, there is 0 chance it will be Warhammer related, and the sales of 3k have 0 to do with what content Warhammer receives.
    edited March 25

I think most people know who Genghis Khan is. Where as for most people, Warhammer does not even register, let alone Cathay in Warhammer.

I find it likely that CA will do Fall of the Samurai type expansions for 3k. However, there is 0 chance it will be Warhammer related, and the sales of 3k have 0 to do with what content Warhammer receives.

Yeah, but when people think of Genghis Khan, they just thought of Mongols invaded China, but most ppl nowadays would lead to Mongol invasion of Europe. Not many ppl is well aware of the Song Dynasty period, not its weapons and armors, the only well known thing that ppl know about China in this period is the Great Wall

CA would want both historic titles and fantasy to sell well, and to do that they can use that to draw both players in, if you look enough for example on reddit many ppl express interest in Cathay after the concept arts posted by one talented individual

Also, the sales of 3K will does have an impact, as I said there's Cathay for Warhammer 3 which is basically China, but Fantasy China, which has a lot of materials that can be used for Warhammer 3 the next game. CA said in one of the interviews that they hope to aim for the Chinese market which is booming nowadays if it sells well who knows what will happen

and a few months back I posted that Three Kingdom Total War was second top selling on steam store
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9jgbka/meanwhile_in_china/

There isn't a zero chance of it being Warhamemr related, everything is money, if CA sees a profit that can be made there isnt a zero chance, Fantasy aka Warhammer is the best selling game CA has ever made, and it is the main flagship atm, nothing is impossible after what they did with Vampire Coast and custom lord : P

edited March 25
    Hold up a moment.

So, Takilung, your thinking here is that:

- People don't know enough about Chinese history to be interested in 3K
    > CA implements Cathay into WH3 by "reusing assets" from 3K (which isn't how that works and probably can't be done)
    > This magically generates interest in Chinese History and TW:3K
    > More people buy 3K
    > This means CA will now make expansions for 3K based around the Warring States Period, Et al....

Gotta be honest, man, that is some flimsy logic.
    edited March 25

> More people buy 3K

Most ppl are not aware nor are they interested in a Chinese setting, when 3K got announced many ppl were upset if you look through other forums, youtube, and reddits. (Ofc there are ppl screaming Yes). Everyone was expecting a Medieval 3, Pike and Shot, Victoria whatever

3K was popular and CA made the right call to release a Chinese setting this year rather than 10 years ago, games like Dynasty Warriors, Romance of the Three Kingdoms helps massively popularizing 3K history onto the West. And every single Chinese becomes aware of 3K since they were small through schools/ exams where it's mandatory, not to mention its also fairly popular in Japan.

Cathay is based on the Song/Ming/Han etc Dynasty, which on 3K we already have Song Dynasty period armors for some. I am not saying in the sense where it's copy and paste

I suggest looking through these posts in regards to Cathay, there is interest from the western audience, same with the Chinese audience ofc, when they visited CA head quartz and a bunch of threads on Baidu

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/b4hrik/heres_my_concept_for_a_cathayan_qilin_mount/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/b1ioth/heres_my_concept_for_a_cathayan_celestial_dragon/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/b0y43f/i_did_concept_art_for_a_cathay_guardian_lion/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/am3xdt/i_did_more_cathay_concept_art_heres_a_imperial/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/at64c3/more_cathay_concept_art_heres_a_jade_vampire_and/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/aglqtd/im_doing_some_speculative_concept_art_for_cathay/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/au07uc/more_cathay_concept_art_heres_my_take_on_the/

@takilung31 I'm sorry, man, you've lost me.

Is this about Total War: Three Kingdoms, or about adding Cathay to Total War: Warhammer 3?

Because if this is yet another discussion about adding Cathay to WH3, then you should probably be talking to people in the Warhammer section. Although I can see the appeal to Cathay, it doesn't really interest me right now.
    And I honestly can't see any correlation between 3K sales and the probability of Cathay being implemented in WH3.

Is this about Total War: Three Kingdoms, or about adding Cathay to Total War: Warhammer 3?
    And I honestly can't see any correlation between 3K sales and the probability of Cathay being implemented in WH3.

Well this is about Three Kingdoms in general, this is mainly talking about the sales for Three Kingdoms Total War, and how it could affect other games like Warhammer series

Correlation between 3K sales and the probability of Cathay would be linked to the Chinese audience. Chinese players have wanted 3K since ages, it goes the same for Cathay.

The Chinese mindset is that CA is first major western studio willing to do a full AAA title about history/culture of China, so the Chinese players will buy it to let CA knows there is a big untapped market waiting for them

Cathay is China in a sense, and Chinese players have also wanted Cathay since ages

Read some info in here
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/212828/chinese-community-and-grand-cathay/p1

• MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 589Registered Users

I think most people know who Genghis Khan is. Where as for most people, Warhammer does not even register, let alone Cathay in Warhammer.

Yeah, but when people think of Genghis Khan, they just thought of Mongols invaded China, but most ppl nowadays would lead to Mongol invasion of Europe. Not many ppl is well aware of the Song Dynasty period, not its weapons and armors, the only well known thing that ppl know about China in this period is the Great Wall

CA would want both historic titles and fantasy to sell well, and to do that they can use that to draw both players in, if you look enough for example on reddit many ppl express interest in Cathay after the concept arts posted by one talented individual

Also, the sales of 3K will does have an impact, as I said there's Cathay for Warhammer 3 which is basically China, but Fantasy China, which has a lot of materials that can be used for Warhammer 3 the next game. CA said in one of the interviews that they hope to aim for the Chinese market which is booming nowadays if it sells well who knows what will happen

and a few months back I posted that Three Kingdom Total War was second top selling on steam store
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9jgbka/meanwhile_in_china/

There isn't a zero chance of it being Warhamemr related, everything is money, if CA sees a profit that can be made there isnt a zero chance, Fantasy aka Warhammer is the best selling game CA has ever made, and it is the main flagship atm, nothing is impossible after what they did with Vampire Coast and custom lord : P

If CA wants to create more content for Warhammer they will. I still fail to see what it has to do with 3K. On a side note, we know pretty much what the TW:3 combined map looks like, and Cathay is not on there.

You seem to have two contradicting points. One is that westerners are either too stupid or ignorant to have any interest in Chinese history or it's warfare. So, CA instead should focus on fantasy content. The other being that the Chinese market will be the driver of sales for 3k.

If the Chinese market will be the driver of sales for 3k, won't that self same market know there own history? I bet there would be far more interest in exploring other aspects of Chinese history, than being given some western bastardization of their civilization, which is what Cathay is in WH.

Really, Cathay in WH has about as much to do with China, as Lizardmen do with the Inca, Aztec and Maya cultures.

• OngtheconquererOngtheconquerer Posts: 4Registered Users
    Three Kingdoms period is really popular thanks to the author of the Romance of Three Kingdoms which was Luo Guan Zhong, it got even more popular when KOEI Tecmo released both dynasty warriors and romance of three kingdoms game. Of course from what I've seen, a lot of 3k fans are exited. But one thing I'm worried is will it disappoint the Chinese government. If CA made a slight mistake, they might just banned the game.

If lets say, 3k is a success in China and the west, then i believe that it may influence CA to create a chinese style faction like cathay for warhammer 3.

Although I'm a chinese, i could say i'm still satisfied with what i've seen except for the AI. But I have concerns for future DLCs. I'm sure CA will add faction packs like how they did from shogun 2 until now.
    But for timeline scenarios, it will take a long time to research as this is the first time CA touched Chinese history.
    edited March 25

Really, Cathay in WH has about as much to do with China, as Lizardmen do with the Inca, Aztec and Maya cultures.

Lizardman is another different matter. Cathay closely resembled the Chinese culture in Song/Ming/Han Dynasty, as with Araby to Arabs, Bretonnia to England/France, Empire to HRE etc

I'm not here to debate whether Cathay will be in Game 3 btw, simply suggesting that if the "Sales" of 3K does well, they could consider doing a DLC for Warhammer 3 which would attract more sales. Cathay is literally right next to the already suspected area's for WH3, the Darklands and Mountains of Mourn. It's not like they're setting game 3 in the New World again, there's no need to include the whole map from Cathay, they could cut it off or add them as expedition force. Distance to

It's related to 3K as I have explained in the above post since you quoted my earlier post, that it is related to the Chinese market, and that Chinese players do want Cathay

Again all of this will depends on the sales of 3K, and it is up to CA's decision

• YaafmYaafm Posts: 873Registered Users
    This is a warhammer post on the 3k forums. A little bit subject at the start to push a warhammer agenda.

Warhammer 3 will come in a year or two, wait your turn.
  • united84united84 Posts: 354Registered Users
    How is all of this related to 3K ? I have nothing against them adding cathay but seriously dawg, i came here for 3K news and contents not the other way around. Go post it in Warhammer sub-forum.

Well this is about Three Kingdoms in general, this is mainly talking about the sales for Three Kingdoms Total War, and how it could affect other games like Warhammer series
    Well, it sounds like the primary purpose for this thread is arguing a case for Cathay being added in WH3, rather than anything about 3K specifically. I don't think any of us here in this section can really help you in that regard; we're just here for 3K. Try the Warhammer section, you might have more luck.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,446Registered Users
    edited March 25
    I'd actually argue that from the core historical audience the Warring States period is just as famous if not moreso than the 3K era was. The Warring States period was definitely tied with 3K and the Mongols as being the 3 obvious places to introduce China as a setting to Total War.

If there is to be any sort of FOTSesque expansion for 3K I expect it will be branded as a SAGA title and be about the Warring States. Warring States can either be a Campaign DLC or SAGA title IMO.

The Mongols IMO are too big and must be their own game, even if you exclude their western conquests and focus just on Eastern and Central Asia.
  • GeneralOusenGeneralOusen Posts: 16Registered Users
    Krunch said:

I'd actually argue that from the core historical audience the Warring States period is just as famous if not moreso than the 3K era was. The Warring States period was definitely tied with 3K and the Mongols as being the 3 obvious places to introduce China as a setting to Total War.

If there is to be any sort of FOTSesque expansion for 3K I expect it will be branded as a SAGA title and be about the Warring States. Warring States can either be a Campaign DLC or SAGA title IMO.

The Mongols IMO are too big and must be their own game, even if you exclude their western conquests and focus just on Eastern and Central Asia.

true to the point the warring state period is one of basic history lesson in Chinese school and the main reason why China has a one state rule. also the northern and soutern dynasty, Chu-Han Contention ( founding of the Han Dynasty) and Xin Dynasty era are more than enough DLC packs C&A can release. Cathay has more to do with Warhammer so you can take the debate to the Warhammer Forum takilung31.
  • jdcarson93jdcarson93 Posts: 15Registered Users
    I do hope for a warring states period dlc would be epic
    Yaafm said:

This is a warhammer post on the 3k forums. A little bit subject at the start to push a warhammer agenda.

Yeah but this is about the sales of 3K how it would impact onto other games and if CA catering to the Asian audience work. By the time WH3 gets released Three Kingdom would have launched ages ago and we would already know whether if it was a success
    united84 said:

How is all of this related to 3K ?

It's related to the sense that 3K sales will have an impact on Cathay appearing for Warhammer 3, if more people started buying 3K especially if it was a success with the Chinese audience, it would show to CA that people have interest in total war with a Chinese setting. With the launch of Warhammer, the fantasy genre has been proven effective and is commercially a success. Doing a DLC for such would draw in sales if 3K was proven successful

Warhammer crowds would become more interested in a Chinese setting, which they would, in turn, have a take in buying 3K. 3K crowds who are interested in a Chinese setting would, in turn, try out Warhammer, which would increase both sales, and draws in both historic and fantasy crowd

Well, it sounds like the primary purpose for this thread is arguing a case for Cathay being added in WH3, rather than anything about 3K specifically

Nah if people actually read this thread it's all about the sales of 3K and how it could impact Cathay being added on WH3 as DLC. Someone in here posted about how they can't be Cathay on WH3 which I have to counter react to that
    Krunch said:

I have not played a single Warring States game till now, nor when I ask my friends ppl only know about the history of 3K. Due to Dynasty Warriors, ROTK etc. I've heard it through, history, while some ppl have read the manga of Kingdoms which could influence on their taking.

Look on Oriental Empires in regards to warring states, it also has a DLC expansion for Mongols, it did not sell well. Simply due to the audience being not large enough. It is also made by CA past employees

https://store.steampowered.com/app/357310/Oriental_Empires/

It's fine if ppl don't get how 3K could potentially lead to more Chinese settings/ Sales/ affects Warhammer, I simply posted this here to give an idea to CA that's all

Indypride also posted a Cathay video today

in 6:10 he starts talking about how Three Kingdoms Total War relates to Cathay being on Warhammer 3

• DragantisDragantis PolandPosts: 148Registered Users

Yaafm said:

Yeah but this is about the sales of 3K how it would impact onto other games and if CA catering to the Asian audience work. By the time WH3 gets released Three Kingdom would have launched ages ago and we would already know whether if it was a success
    united84 said:

How is all of this related to 3K ?

It's related to the sense that 3K sales will have an impact on Cathay appearing for Warhammer 3, if more people started buying 3K especially if it was a success with the Chinese audience, it would show to CA that people have interest in total war with a Chinese setting. With the launch of Warhammer, the fantasy genre has been proven effective and is commercially a success. Doing a DLC for such would draw in sales if 3K was proven successful

Warhammer crowds would become more interested in a Chinese setting, which they would, in turn, have a take in buying 3K. 3K crowds who are interested in a Chinese setting would, in turn, try out Warhammer, which would increase both sales, and draws in both historic and fantasy crowd

Well, it sounds like the primary purpose for this thread is arguing a case for Cathay being added in WH3, rather than anything about 3K specifically

Nah if people actually read this thread it's all about the sales of 3K and how it could impact Cathay being added on WH3 as DLC. Someone in here posted about how they can't be Cathay on WH3 which I have to counter react to that
    Krunch said:

I have not played a single Warring States game till now, nor when I ask my friends ppl only know about the history of 3K. Due to Dynasty Warriors, ROTK etc. I've heard it through, history, while some ppl have read the manga of Kingdoms which could influence on their taking.

Look on Oriental Empires in regards to warring states, it also has a DLC expansion for Mongols, it did not sell well. Simply due to the audience being not large enough. It is also made by CA past employees

https://store.steampowered.com/app/357310/Oriental_Empires/

It's fine if ppl don't get how 3K could potentially lead to more Chinese settings/ Sales/ affects Warhammer, I simply posted this here to give an idea to CA that's all
    To make it simple, what you are saying is: If 3K is success in China, CA Fantasy team go with Cathay as a 4rd race for Warhammer 3 or DLC and if it is not a success they choose another race.
    Blood for the Blood God!
    Among men, Lu Bu. Among horses, Red Hare.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,446Registered Users
    Just because there isn't a Warring States game out there doesn't mean there isn't an interest in that period for Western Audiences. Most Americans for example get a unit at least dedicated to the Qin and their rise and ancient chinese philosophy and all that. Meanwhile the whole Period of Disunion, IE from the fall of the Han to the rise of the Sui, is covered in a single page
    Krunch said:

Just because there isn't a Warring States game out there doesn't mean there isn't an interest in that period for Western Audiences. Most Americans for example get a unit at least dedicated to the Qin and their rise and ancient chinese philosophy and all that. Meanwhile the whole Period of Disunion, IE from the fall of the Han to the rise of the Sui, is covered in a single page

Yeah you aren't wrong, the closest game to Warring States right now is the Oriental Empire, I do know Sun Tzu is also fairly popular in the West, in all honestly the Warring States would be interesting, and it would most likely make an appearance if they follow the route of Shogun 2 IE Fall of the Samurai, and if 3K does well also to cater for the historic fans

There would certainly be ppl against the idea of that since it might be no variety/ it's Chinese vs Chinese again, so other periods for consideration can also be in place

edited March 26
    Dragantis said:

To make it simple, what you are saying is: If 3K is success in China, CA Fantasy team go with Cathay as a 4rd race for Warhammer 3 or DLC and if it is not a success they choose another race.

Yes

If it's not a success then yes there's no hope. Simply because the sales and the marketing show that investing in China would be a big mistake. With 3K just around the corner and if they pull this off it would surprise many ppl and caught ppl off guard with CA's creativity

Anyway I hope that CA sales on 3K do well so there may be hope

It will also affect the base game of 3K, as that would mean no Warring States/ Song Dynasty/ Mongols Invasion expansion etc

Glad you get the point

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,208Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Has become mostly a business discuss, which belongs in Chat.

Moved.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 873Registered Users
    edited March 26

Dragantis said:

Yes

If it's not a success then yes there's no hope. Simply because the sales and the marketing show that investing in China would be a big mistake. With 3K just around the corner and if they pull this off it would surprise many ppl and caught ppl off guard with CA's creativity

Anyway I hope that CA sales on 3K do well so there may be hope

It will also affect the base game of 3K, as that would mean no Warring States/ Song Dynasty/ Mongols Invasion expansion etc

Glad you get the point
    Everyone got the point, but you spent much more time talking about Cathay and all its possibilitys then you did 3k, on the 3k forum. We dont really care about Cathay here, at all.

But now it's a business discussion.

It's fine if ppl don't get how 3K could potentially lead to more Chinese settings/ Sales/ affects Warhammer...

No, it's not that we "don't get it", or that we're too dimwitted to see the connection. We're saying there is no connection, and nothing at all to suggest there is one.
    edited March 26

No, it's not that we "don't get it", or that we're too dimwitted to see the connection. We're saying there is no connection, and nothing at all to suggest there is one.

First of all, when talking about the financial reasoning, there's the large Chinese market that CA is clearly trying to break into as of late considering not only are there a lot of Total War fans there, but many RTS fans in general with PCs. Having two products that have something for the Chinese market (Three Kingdoms needs to explanation, and Cathay would draw more people to TW:W3 with a Chinese expy) increases CA's potential revenue greatly.

China is linked to Cathay, 3K is also linked to Cathay because of China

If 3K sells well, it would be good news for Cathay since CA might consider doing a DLC for Warhammer 3, if 3K flops, no chance

This is a marketing and business discussion so yes

• MuhsinTpdMuhsinTpd Junior Member Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (The Republic of Turkey)Posts: 92Registered Users
    I love this art works <3
    “Victory is for those who can say "Victory is mine". Success is for those who can begin saying "I will succeed" and say "I have succeeded" in the end.”
    ― Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
    edited April 15
    Some interesting finds in regards to Warhammer playerbase on China

Chinese dedicated forum for Warhammer Total War had close to 2.3 million threads

https://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=战锤全面战争&amp;ie=utf-8

Meaning Warhammer had a large player base on China as well

When we take a look on Total War Three Kingdoms, it had 2.7 million threads

https://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=三国全面战争&amp;ie=utf-8

That should explain well enough that Chinese players do have an interest on Warhammer

Also, CA can easily tell how many copies are sold for Warhammer on China already. So they can estimate things and go from there