Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Pitch a New Arabyan LL

DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 3,443
So I was reading back through some old forum posts and was amused to see, prior to the Vampire Coast, how many people were convinced Araby could never be a playable faction because they don't have enough LLs. Since the Vampirates release and the introduction of a CA created LL more people seem to be assuming that any future faction added to the game will have the new standard of four LLs. This has led to people scouring obscure bits of GW's fluff looking for any candidate who could possibly work as an Arabyan LL, characters like Fatandira or the Silver Princess. But, as Cylostra Direfan shows us, if CA feels they have to they will create a new LL from whole cloth. If Araby is introduced as a faction then it is not unfeasible this may happen again.

So I thought "why not jump ahead of the process?" A number of people around here were unsatisfied with Cylostra. Well, here's your chance to do better. Pitch your idea for an all new Arabyan LL. Draw on historical or mythical figures for inspiration if you like. What kind of character would be compelling to you? What premise would make you want to play them first?

Comments

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 5,951
    Why? The Sultan of All Araby technically is the ruler of Araby that was never given any character or depictions. He would technically be CA made even though his existence is supported by the lore.

Perhaps they could make some completely new creations but there are ones that have never been expanded enough and would effectively be CA creations.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Registered Users Posts: 1,119
    edited April 2019
    Adalin the thief, robber of a magical artifact from the golden magus. This artifact can grant him 3 random different spells or invocation per battle. For example a invocation of a djinn, battle reinforcement with flying carpets or a curse to transform an enemy unit in to monkey.

No I want Fatandira first, but a good CA and GW created LLor expanded low lore character could be fine to, I have no problem with Direfin except giving her the giant undead crab - a ghost chariot carried by ghost sharks would be my dream for her.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,220
    Crossil said:

Why? The Sultan of All Araby technically is the ruler of Araby that was never given any character or depictions. He would technically be CA made even though his existence is supported by the lore.

Perhaps they could make some completely new creations but there are ones that have never been expanded enough and would effectively be CA creations.

This this and this. Nore more made up Whalefins and Manlinessas where they don't fit.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 2,620
    edited April 2019
    There is no need to create a LL from scratch. Assuming Araby will take the same format as Norsca and only have two lords, we can already guess the likely front-runners: the Golden Magus (which has already been teased a bit in the Vampire Coast intro) and the Sultan of Araby. The latter would need to have a bit of created lore added to him, but we already know his general character: he's a sultan, probably a despot, and most likely a melee lord (since the magus is the caster lord).

His appearance would have to be imagined by CA though, but they have already done that for a few characters (Mazdamundi and Khatep for example never had a model, so the artist had to improvise). I could see the Sultan have the cliché look: a fat guy wearing a mustache and a turban.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    edited April 2019
    Crossil said:

If he's just a title with no character behind it, feel free to pitch what you would like his personality or character to be like.

But to clarify, I am not interested in debating the merits of whether or not CA should create a new LL for Araby. This is just a thread to have a bit of fun and toss around some ideas of what we might like to see if it were to happen. It's out of our control either way, but if you want you can think of it as setting your standards. If this thing is going to happen, what premise for a new character, if any, would satisfy you? If you would prefer it didn't happen at all that's fine, but that's not what this thread is about.
  • PaulHPaulH Registered Users Posts: 1,364
    There are loads of potential characters to draw on for Araby, everyone from The Golden Magus to Khar-mel the Djinn, I'd rather those get turned into characters. But I'll play along anyway. Part of the fun of Warhammer was creating your own generals. ^^

Ma'aruf, the Master of Beasts

Working as an apprentice under the infamous wizard Haqiqah Alhazred, descendent of the Mad Sorcerer Abdul Alhazred, Ma'aruf lived a charmed life. He had prestige, he could write and converse flawlessly in over a dozen languages, he studied science, magic and arithmetic and was insatiable in his quest for knowledge. Yet, following an ill-advised dalliance with his masters concubine, Ma'aruf was forced to flee the wrath of his master.

After weeks in the desert, Ma'aruf stumbled across a stairway into the earth where he took a chance to escape the blistering sun. As he explored the cave, he discovered a chamber carved into the rock and at its heart was an ornate chest of foreign design. Overcome by curiosity, Ma'aruf lifted the lid and he was cursed.

Hidden within the chest were a trove of Kadon's Scrolls of Binding, secret lore written by the legendary tamer of beasts. Each scroll could bind a different monstrous creature to the will of the bearer. The collection was far from complete, scrolls were lost to the four corners of the world and the mists of time, but a curse was laid upon the chest. He who opened the chest would never rest until all the scrolls had been recovered and stored within the chamber.

Ever since that fateful day Ma'aruf has scoured the globe for the remaining Scrolls of Binding. With each one he recovers his menagerie of monsters grows, all bound to him by Kadon's ancient scrolls.

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 7,467
    I'd find a faction lead by Al Muktar of Al Muktar's Desert Dogs fame to be an interesting proposal. A faction leader with focus on cavalry, speed, raiding and sacking.

Give him buffs to speed in general or for certain units. Grant him buffs for light cavalry charges. That sort of thing. Let me fly like the wind and bite like a blistering sandstorm coming at the enemy from all sides.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • NeoYasNeoYas Registered Users Posts: 628
    We already have 3 good candidate:

The Golden Magus

The Great Sultan

And Fatandira

Now as new invented characters, there can be several ideas:

An aspiring sultan who want to unify Araby or bring it back to Its lost glory

A genie mage, as we have a lot of human LL's a monstrous/caster LL would be a good idea

An arabyan priest who leads a holy war against all the occupiers and invaders

A kind of assassin/thief LL

• FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 2,548
    Just writing up who the Grand Sultan and the Wizard Caliph actually are, plus Fatandira and the Golden Magus would be fine with me.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,116
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 2,201
    I wouldn't put it past them to bring back Jaffar, though how they'd make him distinct from both Arkhan and any Disney similarities I've no idea.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    So I'll throw one out there, and it's one that could work as the Grand Sultan or as a new character.

Any Arabyan LL is inevitably going to come up against the Tomb Kings, who are right next door. And this ties in perfectly with a little bit of lore mentioned in the Tomb King army books that I've always found fascinating and feel deserves to be explored further.

See, when the Tomb Kings awoke they were not thrilled the Arabyans had settled on top of their old cities and taken tons of their gold and artifacts. So they attacked the Arabyans, and specifically Arkhan the Black started the "Wars of Death." These wars began in 1149 IC and lasted for a thousand years, destroying a massive Arabyan civilization centered at Bel-Aliad, driving the the Arabyans to the coasts and leaving them splintered as a series of city-states and nomadic tribes. In other words, it's largely to blame for the current state of Araby today and is one of the most defining canon moments in their history. With this in mind:

Huzam al-Aliad

In the deserts east of the Atalan mountains it is said merchant carvans will sometimes catch a whiff of exotic odors and hear distant voices drifting on the wind. Wise caravan leaders turn away from such temptations, for they know that following them leads only to one place: the ruins of Bel-Aliad, the City of Spices. It is a cursed place, where the dead still walk.

Yet in the city of Martek there is one man who does not fear the Land of the Dead or its grim inhabitants. The Emir of the mountain city, Huzam al-Aliad, is descended from the tribes that fled the destruction of the City of Spices. In his eyes burn the fires of vengeance long nursed. Three times he has led forays into the deep desert, recruiting the nomad tribes as guides. Three times he has sent his warriors deep into ruined cities to topple monuments, plunder gold, and shatter slumbering bones in their crypts. The sultans and sheiks of the other city-states say he is mad to risk the curses of Nehekhara, that there is no point in trying to rebuild the lost empires of ancient Araby. They do not understand the depths of Huzam's hatred for the grasping hand of the past, which seeks to pull all them all back into the sands.

Now he musters his greatest army yet. The mineral wealth of Martek has bought great beasts from the Plain of Tuskers, been poured into the coffers of weaponsmiths, funneled to sorcerer-scholars studying the arcane secrets of the bottomless lake of Fazoth-Ar, all in search of weapons and spells to counter the tireless dead and their stone titans. Men flock to the lion banner of al-Aliad, for the promise of plunder and conquest is at hand. Those few captains who have met with Huzam himself understand, however, that there is no lust for gold in his heart. He is a man who seeks to prove that the dead have no hold on the living

Anyway, rough sketch of an Arabyan character who could work as a bit of a foil to Settra and the other Tomb Kings. Probably would get leadership buffs and diplomatic penalties against the Tomb Kings.
  • Federykx99Federykx99 Registered Users Posts: 562
    I'd prefer if they sticked to the four characters we know exist, and expand on them, so Golden Magus, Fatandira, Sultan, and Wizard Caliph. The only one with decent lore is the first one, the others would need to be filled.

That's not to say I completely oppose new LL. In fact I really like Cylostra, mostly because she is goofy and has cool abilities, and also in part because I revel in the purists' anger. But in this case, unlike with the VC, we already have four (three) empty shells with which CA can build.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Registered Users Posts: 4,151
    Sandostra. A corpulent opera singer who was on their way to perform in the Kingdom of Beasts, but drowned in the sands of Araby. Now he travels the sands singing up storms to annoy his neighbors.
    Later
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 2,548

I'd prefer if they sticked to the four characters we know exist, and expand on them, so Golden Magus, Fatandira, Sultan, and Wizard Caliph. The only one with decent lore is the first one, the others would need to be filled.

That's not to say I completely oppose new LL. In fact I really like Cylostra, mostly because she is goofy and has cool abilities, and also in part because I revel in the purists' anger. But in this case, unlike with the VC, we already have four (three) empty shells with which CA can build.

I agree with this. I'm all for new characters but Araby already has 2 blank slates that we don't even know the names of just tirles but are important to Araby. And then we have 2 more characters where we actually know something about them but they would start abroad.

Also can easily map to 2 melee and 2 casters.
    edited April 2019
    I have no idea what kind of magic the Arabyans use but I would find it enormously exciting if there was an Arabyan caster focused on some form of Daemonology and the binding of spirits/djinn/daemons. Either that or some form of chronomancy focusing on slowing and speeding up units.
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 451
    RikRiorik said:

I have no idea what kind of magic the Arabyans use but I would find it enormously exciting if there was an Arabyan caster focused on some form of Daemonology and the binding of spirits/djinn/daemons. Either that or some form of chronomancy focusing on slowing and speeding up units.

I'm pretty sure someone has brought up that like Kislev, they have their own lore, called Lore of the Sands.

RikRiorik said:

I'm pretty sure someone has brought up that like Kislev, they have their own lore, called Lore of the Sands.
    They do, but it's from Warmaster and only has four spells in it, most of which are just renamed versions of existing spells (Sunstrike, for example, is just Shem's Burning Gaze). The fluff, though strongly suggests that djinn summoning and binding is a major part of Arabyan magic.
    RikRiorik said:

I also, perhaps falsely imagine the Araby roster as a very fast moving roster. To then see a chronomancer adding speed buffs and debuffs to further increase the strength of mobility would mean a very interesting roster overall. But who knows what they’d bring? I can definitely see Araby being a personally very well liked race no matter what. I love the Southlands part of the map and even without my outlandish additions there’s a core roster there that I think I’d very much enjoy.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 2,201
    RikRiorik said:

So in other words 'Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.'
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    Wyvax said:

RikRiorik said:

So in other words 'Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.'
    I know of the existence of the Prince of Persia game series and that there was a movie once but apart from that I am ignorant having neither played any of the games or seen the film. The extent of my knowledge of at least one of the early games is that it seemed to focus a lot on jumping. So, maybe?

To be honest I’m thinking a bit of the old Swedish pen and paper roleplaying game ’Drakar & Demoner’ (Dragons & Demons) and the campaign pack ’Den Nidländska Reningen’ (the Nidlandian Cleansing) and the Arch Sorceror Vicotnik when I think of some of the elements I’d draw on when making an Arabyan character.
    RikRiorik said:

RikRiorik said:

I also, perhaps falsely imagine the Araby roster as a very fast moving roster. To then see a chronomancer adding speed buffs and debuffs to further increase the strength of mobility would mean a very interesting roster overall. But who knows what they’d bring? I can definitely see Araby being a personally very well liked race no matter what. I love the Southlands part of the map and even without my outlandish additions there’s a core roster there that I think I’d very much enjoy.
    If done well I can see Araby being a creative masterpiece, if CA creates enough lore, features and units for them while keeping the warhammer feel.

It would certainly make for an awesome campaign based on all the threats on that side of the map.
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,365
    RikRiorik said:

RikRiorik said:

You might like this, then.

INITIATE SUB-ROUTINE: REPOST

Contrary to what many people think, we do have enough lore and named or implied units, plus some reasonable extrapolations, to put together a rather complete army list for them just using GW sources. In fact, I've already done so:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/216388/ultimate-araby-unit-list-the-canon-edition/p1

To summarize, Araby's armies come from two sources: The standing armies of its city-states (sort of like the Empire's standing armies) and levies from the nomadic desert tribes. These armies are composed of native Arabyan troops; they are not made primarily of mercenaries like I've seen some people on this site claim. (That's just Tilea's schtick, people.)

Arabyan infantry is Empire- and Tilea-tier, so it's solid though not great. There's a good mix of light and heavy infantry, missile and melee, spears and swords, armored and unarmored. It's not going to win the battle for you, but it'll make a great anvil to pin the enemy.

Arabyan light and missile cavalry is excellent, and by excellent I mean Kislevite-tier. Their desert tribesmen are hardy and fierce, and their horses come from elven stock and are well-suited for riding swiftly over long distances, so their stamina and speed are both great. Their mounted archers can bring the pain from long range and in melee, and their light horsemen should have no trouble outmaneuvering the enemy to hit their flanks. Araby also has good camel riders in case the enemy thinks sending his own cavalry after yours is a good idea. They also have Magic Carpets, which are very fragile but can deal a lot of damage with their archers and bombing runs.

That being said, Araby lacks high-tier heavy cavalry. Arabyan Knights are armored shock cavalry on par with Empire Knights and Bretonnian Knights of the Realm, but they don't have anything beyond that.

Overall, Arabyan cavalry is the opposite of Bretonnian cavalry: Limited heavy cavalry but great light and missile cavalry. Also Magic Carpets.

Arabyan ranged units are interesting. Besides basic archers and their great missile cavalry, Araby's also said to field gunpowder units. However, Arabyan gunpowder weapons aren't as advanced or common as Old World ones, so their guns are likely to be of medieval vintage rather than the Renaissance-through-Early-Modern firearms we see in Empire armies. This could be used to give the Arabyans bombards, which is good since GW never said anything about their siege weapons.

Araby also fields some large monsters. Their Elephants are around the size of the ones in our world, so they'd be much smaller than Norsca's mammoths. CA would probably balance this out by putting multiple elephants in one unit like they do in their historical games.

Araby also fields giant, elemental spirits called Djinn as large monsters. These spirits are captured and bound by Arabyan sorcerers and can be called on to fight for their master. There are five known types of Djinn, from the sword-wielding Fire Efreet to the water-freezing Sea Nymph to the mysterious Royal Djinn. Their powers are diverse enough that comparing them is almost like comparing Greater Daemons, so each type of Djinn could easily be its own distinct unit.

(Also, note that Djinns have been called other names in older lore like genies, elementals, and elemental spirits. It took GW a long time to settle on a name for these things.)

Arabyan Lords and Heroes run the usual gambit of melee and caster variants. There's potential to do some unique stuff with them, but they'd still function exactly how you'd expect.

There's no record of Arabyan using many slave soldiers like the Mamelukes or Janissaries of our world. Even most Eunochs aren't slaves. The slavery aspect of Araby barely comes up in GW lore (we don't even know if their corsairs take slaves), and I suspect it's been very badly overhyped by fans.

A final word on Arabyan magic: Since the Winds of Magic are very weak in Araby, their sorcerers have a unique way of working their magic where by using the power of bound Djinns. The Arabyans use Djinns to cast their spells and make magic items. The best way to represent this would be to have the Arabyans be less affected by the Winds of Magic. They don't benefit as much when the Winds are strong, but they don't suffer as much when the Winds are weak.

So in summary, Araby's army functions like this:
    -Solid infantry
    -Great light and missile cavalry
    -No strong heavy cavalry
    -Gunpowder, but weaker than other races'
    -Good variety of large monsters
    -Reliable if middling magic

(As to the OP's topic, I'm most curious about the Great Sultan and what his personality is like. I'd accept a Saladin ripoff since I'm a lot more interested in Araby's roster than its LLs, but I hope they do something a bit more creative than that.)
    @RikRiorik I also hope they flex some creative muscle. However when I think Saladin I think of how he was portrayed in Kingdom of Heaven which was awesome. Coolest mother **** in the movie, I would be totally cool with a rip off character that had the same force of presence.
    Who is going to take a stab at:

Laurent of Araby - Bretonnian Knight aiding the Arabyans against the Tomb Kings?
    RikRiorik said:

Laurent of Araby - Bretonnian Knight aiding the Arabyans against the Tomb Kings?

I think I'd personally prefer any Arabyan LLs be Arabyan.

RikRiorik said:

Obviously. It was just a stab at some Lawrence of Arabia lulz.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 10,877

RikRiorik said:

RikRiorik said:

If done well I can see Araby being a creative masterpiece, if CA creates enough lore, features and units for them while keeping the warhammer feel.

It would certainly make for an awesome campaign based on all the threats on that side of the map.
    Well CA wasn't very creative with Sartosa, and Cylostra Direfin was fairly controversial.
    RikRiorik said:

RikRiorik said:

Obviously. It was just a stab at some Lawrence of Arabia lulz.
    Sure, sure.

I'm trying to think of other archetypes from Arabian history/folklore that you could build a LL around.

Fatandira sort of already covers the passionate swashbuckler/desert raider type.

The Golden Magus already covers the Sambhaji Angre/Barbary Pirates angle.

There's of course the Fat Sultan cliche that a lot of people has ascribed to the Sultan of All Araby, which is certainly an option, but he could just as easily be an honorable warlord in the Saladin vein.

There's also no mad inventor, which is definitely a thing in Arabian fantasy given how much clockwork and automatons crop up in The 1001 Nights. The Golden Magus is noted to own a pair of clockwork Rhinoxen in Dreadfleet, so it's not out of the question, even if in Warhammer Araby derives its strength more from magic than from tech.

On that note the 1001 Nights are full of Evil Enchantresses or Cunning Sorceresses. You could maybe fit Khar-Mel into this mold, but its flexible enough that it could just as easily be a new character.

And then of course there's the brutal conqueror type, ala Mehmed II, but I suspect CA may avoid that approach for Reasons.

And while I doubt they'd ever straight-up adapt Aladdin or Ali Baba there is also room for a thief/trickster type.
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 451
    Tayvar said:

RikRiorik said:

RikRiorik said:

Well CA wasn't very creative with Sartosa, and Cylostra Direfin was fairly controversial.
    Direfin is only controversial because the internet is full of trolls. She's easily the most unique lord of the Vampire Coast pack and my personal favorite. Most people complained because they had a problem with her being a her, and because she was bigger in size.

I have plenty of faith that CA could make some great lords for Araby.