Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Gor-Rok keeps getting closer and closer!

2»

Comments

• FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 4,792
    edited April 2019

Fossoway said:

neodeinos said:

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

jamreal18 said:

What if it's TictacTo or Nakai?

Than I would be pleased :smile: I am sorry, but I do not see the appeal of Gor-rok, he is just a white saurus with scars on his face :neutral:
    And Nakai is a just a lesser Gor-Rok and Krog-Gar it would play the same them.
    Well I have to disagree on that, Nakai is with the lizardman from the start, Gor-rok appeared out of nowhere in 8th edition and that's it.
    Nakai only got rules in the 6th edition outside of the army book then they added Gor-Rok in the next edition.
    And CA isn't doing everything based on rules.
    This. Remember, Tretch Craventail got in. If HE made it, anyone can, no matter how obscure.

And let's be frank, Gor-Rok would bring nothing new. He's just another melee lord. There are better options, imho.
    Tretch is in the Skavens latest edition his own rule for running away was implemented so it isn't comparable to Nakai who got rules from the 6th edition because Tretch isn't obscure if he's in the latest army book of his race.

But lets also be frank Gor-Rok and Nakai are both another melee lord with Skinks providing the options that's not just more melee or more magic.
    Thanquol or Throt the Unclean would have been a far more decent choice, both in lore, starting positions or abilities. Now it is very likely that we will not see Throt.

As for Nakai, he's not just any melee lord. He's a monster lord, same as Kholek and Throgg. That in itself is something new that Gor-Rok (or any other Lizardmen) doesn't have.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,992
    neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

Fossoway said:

neodeinos said:

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

jamreal18 said:

Than I would be pleased :smile: I am sorry, but I do not see the appeal of Gor-rok, he is just a white saurus with scars on his face :neutral:
    Well I have to disagree on that, Nakai is with the lizardman from the start, Gor-rok appeared out of nowhere in 8th edition and that's it.
    Nakai only got rules in the 6th edition outside of the army book then they added Gor-Rok in the next edition.
    This. Remember, Tretch Craventail got in. If HE made it, anyone can, no matter how obscure.

And let's be frank, Gor-Rok would bring nothing new. He's just another melee lord. There are better options, imho.
    Tretch is in the Skavens latest edition his own rule for running away was implemented so it isn't comparable to Nakai who got rules from the 6th edition because Tretch isn't obscure if he's in the latest army book of his race.

But lets also be frank Gor-Rok and Nakai are both another melee lord with Skinks providing the options that's not just more melee or more magic.
    And how about Ghorst, when he came out no one freakin' knew who the hell he was. And that guy over there is right, Gor rok would bring nothing new while Nakai could.
    Ghorst is from the 8TH EDITION campaign supplement Sigmars Blood as that entire DLC is based off Sigmars Blood from units to RoR.
    edit: You'll also find people who dislike that they based the DLC on Sigmars Blood because the RoR isn't as good as stuff like Nuln Ironsides and the Carroburg Greatsword.

Yeah so he's very minor and has no rules.
    Ghorst does have rules and the only reasons he was chosen was because 1: he is 8th edition, 2: The DLC is entirely based off Sigmars Blood with Mannfred already ingame and 3: Vlad and Isabella were already planned which left no other character that could lead armies in the Vampire Counts army book (race rule against non magic users).
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,992
    edited April 2019
    Fossoway said:

Fossoway said:

neodeinos said:

crazycrix said:

crazycrix said:

jamreal18 said:

Thanquol or Throt the Unclean would have been a far more decent choice, both in lore, starting positions or abilities. Now it is very likely that we will not see Throt.

As for Nakai, he's not just any melee lord. He's a monster lord, same as Kholek and Throgg. That in itself is something new that Gor-Rok (or any other Lizardmen) doesn't have.
    Tretch is still in their latest edition regardless of other choices in the army book as it was CAs choice (regardless of how questionable) and they have made some questionable ones before like the mess with Isabella from the make war not love event.

Nakai is still a melee lord and would be treated the exact same way as Krog-Gar and Gor-Rok and they lack a ranged lord something that would actually be new then just a bigger Krog-Gar since it would used differently to Melee characters.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,891
    I do think Nakai brings more potential. Not just as a lord himself, but also the fact that he would most likely BUFF KROXIGORS!

Kroxigors are the only unit-type in the game that don't have a LL who buffs them at the moment, and they aren't really playable late game by themselves outside of meme armies. But we already have Saurus, Dinosaurs, and now Skinks covered by the existing lords.

I would like late game viable Kroxigors in general. For that reason, I would like Nakai.

However, IF we do get Gor-Rok...I specifically DO NOT want him to start it Itza. They can give us Gor-Rok and still give him a far-flung start position (like Albion), and that would be best.

The Lizardmen don't need 2-10 slot start positions (they would be the only race besides Wood Elves and Vampire Coast to have that...and the Coast/Wood Elves have unconventional mechanical reasons for why they have that). 10-slot start positions usually (although not always) make for an easier/boring campaign.

10 slot capital or not....3 start positions on the same continent is just not enough variety. 75% of your campaigns then you'll be fighting the same enemy types in the same terrain, making the same alliances, with the same directions to expand and the same factions to naturally confederate with....etc. etc. etc.

Moreso than Nakai, Kroxigors, or 10 slots.....the Lizardmen would be better off with start position variety.

So yeah, Gor-Rok or not....I specifically hope the starting position is NOT Itza. Albion, or literally any other non-Lustrian location would be preferred.
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,901
    Albion would be great for mortal empires, allowing you to do soemthing about the old worlds with LM (Kroq gar is to secluded for that.)
  • forthekey67forthekey67 Registered Users Posts: 146
    I don't think the FLC will be Gor-Rok. I posted this in another thread but these guys:
    don't look like they belong with either Tehenhauin or an Itza faction.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 13,111
    edited April 2019

I don't think the FLC will be Gor-Rok. I posted this in another thread but these guys:

That screenshot literally has Tehenhauin in it. So it IS his.

These are potentially the RoR.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 5,414
    Valkaar said:

I do think Nakai brings more potential. Not just as a lord himself, but also the fact that he would most likely BUFF KROXIGORS!

Kroxigors are the only unit-type in the game that don't have a LL who buffs them at the moment, and they aren't really playable late game by themselves outside of meme armies. But we already have Saurus, Dinosaurs, and now Skinks covered by the existing lords.

I would like late game viable Kroxigors in general. For that reason, I would like Nakai.

However, IF we do get Gor-Rok...I specifically DO NOT want him to start it Itza. They can give us Gor-Rok and still give him a far-flung start position (like Albion), and that would be best.

The Lizardmen don't need 2-10 slot start positions (they would be the only race besides Wood Elves and Vampire Coast to have that...and the Coast/Wood Elves have unconventional mechanical reasons for why they have that). 10-slot start positions usually (although not always) make for an easier/boring campaign.

10 slot capital or not....3 start positions on the same continent is just not enough variety. 75% of your campaigns then you'll be fighting the same enemy types in the same terrain, making the same alliances, with the same directions to expand and the same factions to naturally confederate with....etc. etc. etc.

Moreso than Nakai, Kroxigors, or 10 slots.....the Lizardmen would be better off with start position variety.

So yeah, Gor-Rok or not....I specifically hope the starting position is NOT Itza. Albion, or literally any other non-Lustrian location would be preferred.

Only unit type for the LL maybe, not all armies. Not every unit gets a buff lord. I mean, how many LL do you see buffing any of the eshin line of units for Skaven?

Nakai is not pivotal to making Kroxigars viable in anyway. His lore certainly doesn't, he was a lone warrior style creation. Bursts out, cracks skulls, leaves. Nor is there anything that says Go-Rok can't just beef all the beef.

I really don't get any of the justifications for Nakai over Go-Rok because you can literaly turn them around and say all the samethings. Except, ya know, Nakai never lead armies.

Start position variety is at least needed for all factions and can be done with any leader. Time and time again they've shown in Warhammer II they're willing to start legendary lords wherever they darn well please.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,846
    edited April 2019
    Crossil said:

also the color is different because the new great weapon skinks are different.
    Crossil said:

Yes but it seems weird Tehenhauin's generic skinks would be a completely different colour to him, so they might be from the FLC faction instead. It can't be RoR since they're on a stegadon as well.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,846
    edited April 2019
    never mind ,maybe the chameleon skinks look for him like that.
    edited April 2019

Crossil said:

Yes but it seems weird Tehenhauin's generic skinks would be a completely different colour to him, so they might be from the FLC faction instead. It can't be RoR since they're on a stegadon as well.
    But only their paint gets changed by the faction color, not their whole body. That's the problem with assuming that these are new factions colors.

So I'd say these are colored as such for a different reason.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

But only their paint gets changed by the faction color, not their whole body. That's the problem with assuming that these are new factions colors.

Probably, but I can't think of a reason why they'd have a new colour across units.

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

Probably, but I can't think of a reason why they'd have a new colour across units.
    I actually haven't played LM that much. Blessed spawnings or something?

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

I don't think there are any blessed skinks at the moment, so that's possible - pretty sure the blessed stegadon isn't being manned by green skinks though.
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 570

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

I don't think there are any blessed skinks at the moment, so that's possible - pretty sure the blessed stegadon isn't being manned by green skinks though.
    There are blessed Skink skirmishers and Blessed Chameleon Skinks and they don't change colour.
  • ScreamimgEnvyScreamimgEnvy Registered Users Posts: 741

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

RoR.

There is also an Ancient Stegadon RoR...the 7th Stegadon of the game.
    Team Monogods - #JusticeForTzeentch

• ScreamimgEnvyScreamimgEnvy Registered Users Posts: 741

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

Again there are both Skink RoR and Ancient Stegadon RoR. Look at the steam page.

And adding green skinks as FLC unit? Okay for the laziness but at least the Troglodon...
    Team Monogods - #JusticeForTzeentch

• TWforumUN1989TWforumUN1989 Registered Users Posts: 221
    edited April 2019
    ---
    Post edited by TWforumUN1989 on
  • JastalllJastalll Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,362

I'm a little skeptical. Tehenhauin isn't starting in Itza but he is starting very close to Itza. It's a natural place for him to expand to. That would be a little awkward if there's another LM LL right there.

It also goes against CA's trend of putting at least one LL for each faction in a far-flung location, outside their normal homeland and often in a different climate.

Well, I'd say Kroq-gar qualifies already, he's not in a different climate but he's so far from the other LM he won't even see them before 100+ turns.

Also Ikit starts very close to Skrolk in Mortal Empires so I doubt that would sway CA. Same way Alarielle and Tyrion or Malekith and Hellebron start close to each other.

And finally, Gor-rok would fairly easy to implement assets wise, and all the free LLs were relatively low-effort compared to the paid ones.
  • Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Registered Users Posts: 1,053
    edited April 2019

When someone says that Gor-Rok is worse and weaker than a Kroxigor...

Gor-Rok wields The Shield of Aeons: The Shield of Aeons is a massive artefact made deep within the volcanic heart of the Fire Islands. So enormous was the slab from which the Shield of Aeons was cut that a dozen Kroxigor were needed to haul its bulk to the Lustrian mainland and generations of Skink artisans laboured to carve it.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,804

Gor-Rok wields The Shield of Aeons: The Shield of Aeons is a massive artefact made deep within the volcanic heart of the Fire Islands. So enormous was the slab from which the Shield of Aeons was cut that a dozen Kroxigor were needed to haul its bulk to the Lustrian mainland and generations of Skink artisans laboured to carve it.
    Yea and how about the lore bits where he's tested his shield against Greater Daemons. Gor-Rok is an absolute monstrosity.
  • SaurianDruidSaurianDruid Registered Users Posts: 1,561
    Man, I feel bad for the skink lords. I feel like everyone looks them over just because they are skinks rather than Saurus.

But they are by far the more interesting characters. Far more diverse in skill sets with the potential for very interesting gameplay that is distinct from each other and from other lords.

A melee tank lord is a dime in a dozen. Gor-Rok and Nakai are both ultimately just melee beat sticks.

Tetto'ekko is a skink priest so old and wise he has been elevated to the status of reverence normally limited to the Slann. He isn't just a high ranking Saurus like Gor-Rok, he has managed to break the social barriers that prevent skinks from being put on the same palanquin as a Slann. That is incredible! Gameplay wise he's a small, likely fragile full caster that likely has a bunch of bound spells to summon meteors from the sky. He could even function as a living artillery piece if they wanted to get creative.

Tiktaq'to, meanwhile, would be the only dedicated flying melee lord the Lizardmen have. One that specifically buffs other flyers, allowing you to run a flying heavy skirmishy army. He could be anti-large so he can fight and kill other flying lords, which combined with the addition of ripperdactyls could give Lizardmen a dominating presence in the skies. On the campaign map I could also see him having skills related to Line of Sight and scouting, giving him more information of the map around him to make strategic plays with.

Oxyotl would be a stealth lord to end all stealth lords. Stalk. Likely some vanish ability to disappear from sight. Swift and unmounted with a strong ranged attack with deadly poison. Likely discounts and buffs for chameleon skinks to build a heavy skirmish army that will drive enemies insane. Massive ambush bonuses on the campaign and maybe even an Underway style stance to represent him moving through the jungle.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 30,082

Yea and how about the lore bits where he's tested his shield against Greater Daemons. Gor-Rok is an absolute monstrosity.
    A monstrosity that's infantry sized and has 2 wounds.

Even that lore is deceptive. It took 12 Kroxigors to carry the slab, not the shield. Evidently the vast majority of the slab was cut away, tut tut LM, inefficient.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

• HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 4,804

A monstrosity that's infantry sized and has 2 wounds.

Even that lore is deceptive. It took 12 Kroxigors to carry the slab, not the shield. Evidently the vast majority of the slab was cut away, tut tut LM, inefficient.
    You bring up his status as a hero, and I'll bring up the rules surrounding that. Do note that the 2 wounds was standard for hero's.

He got to do something cool with it though. First off, he's entirely immune to Killing Blow. If you wanted to kill him, you needed to knock him for both wounds. Couldn't do it in one hit, and coupled with his decent armor save and much higher than average toughness, he had quite a bit more staying power than you'd expect. Second, that shield meant that if you charged him you took damage for it. He'd crush you on the way in. And he was no slouch on the offense either. That hammer was dangerous when it hit, and he proc'd predatory instincts at a higher rate than normal Saurus. Letting him hit way more frequently.

You say he's just a hero. We on TT who used him knew that he was the real MVP. Drop him in a block of Saurus, march right down the center crushing anything coming their way. Unless it was chaos. Then die gloriously.
  • TWforumUN1989TWforumUN1989 Registered Users Posts: 221
    edited April 2019
    ---
    Post edited by TWforumUN1989 on

Crossil said:

Crossil said:

RoR.

There is also an Ancient Stegadon RoR...the 7th Stegadon of the game.
    I'm sceptical that the Red Crested skink RoR would have orange crests. Besides, I doubt CA would give two distinct RoRs the same recolouring.