Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Fun game but too easy

jimmy44jimmy44 Senior MemberPosts: 346Registered Users
edited April 12 in General Discussion
I picked up TOB last night and have been having fun with it. I like some of the new mechanics - recruitment, estates, politics - and this is by far the most beautiful total war to dates. Graphics are stunning and there is so much detail in the campaign and battle maps. Love it.

However, after 100 turns playing as Alfred, the more into the game the more I feel it lacks a real challenge. The economy is just too easy to build and maintain. Public order is rarely a problem because the chance of rebellion is so low even if public order is in the negative

Also I’m finding military conquest a steam role because the AI doesn’t field big enough armies. They rarely if ever combine more than one stack. As the player if you can field a double stack of 40 units and keep them together you are almost invisible. I am steamrolling through England which seems empty of AI enemy armies.

Garrisons are also too small. I have a garrison mod for small towns, but even with this, it’s too easy to steamrole.

I guess this can improved with modding but it’s a pity. This is by far and away the easiest total war for me

Comments

• cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 2,118Registered Users
    You're playing the easiest campaign in the game and calling the whole game easy. You want a challenge, go play the other factions instead of the one that's built to be the easiest one in the game.

Also, set the campaign difficulty to at least hard, since you're getting a bunch of buffs on normal.
  • jimmy44jimmy44 Senior Member Posts: 346Registered Users
    cool_lad said:

You're playing the easiest campaign in the game and calling the whole game easy. You want a challenge, go play the other factions instead of the one that's built to be the easiest one in the game.

Also, set the campaign difficulty to at least hard, since you're getting a bunch of buffs on normal.

Just my experience don’t shoot me down. I play on very hard campaign and battles so even the ‘easiest’ campaign should be at least a bit of a challenge?
  • ExarchExarch Posts: 462Registered Users
    What polotics difficulty did you try? Normal seems far easier than the original at launch
  • jimmy44jimmy44 Senior Member Posts: 346Registered Users
    Exarch said:

What polotics difficulty did you try? Normal seems far easier than the original at launch

Very hard - but it’s not!

Other reasons the game is too easy. Seige hold out times are really short so there’s rarely the need to manually fight the battle. Just wait a few turns and the AI army suffers attrition then finally sallies out which is an easy auto resolve

Armies also replenish far to quickly so it’s easy to keep an army at full strength as long as you have a territory nearby
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,384Registered Users
    Wessex starts so big I don't know what they could do to make it hard. It doesn't help, either, that the last patch made the game easier across the board. But if you want a challenge try Circenn or one of the Welsh factions.
  • Sebae84Sebae84 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Im playing now with Wessex also, but using Crucible of Kings on VH campaign/Politics and normal battles. And it was a nice challenge at first. It turned easy but just once I defeated major armies from East anglia and welsh rebels. What would be cool, perhaps, is a way to edit the norseman incursions, so they arrive in real numbers and that would be a nice early threat.