Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Google Stadia and Total War Warhammer

DainDain Posts: 51Registered Users
What do you think about this year announcement of Google Stadia?

Is the promise of instant gaming going to put out of Business Steam?

How it will disrupt the total war warhammer 3 development since their main business is on steam?

Comments

• BeelzeBeelze Posts: 112Registered Users
    edited April 14
    No, this isnt going to put Steam out of business, I doubt this will even be a thing.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,536Registered Users
    we will see if it even works since I do remember that some of the things were promised before but didn't work.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    Another failure and full of ****. I remember 15 years ago that PC gaming will dye, that printing 3D will replace Chinese manufacturing ( didn't happen) , every game is on Oculus or other things like that, still never happened. Most of things are just another niche nothing major like phone mobile.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,456Registered Users
    I seriously doubt it will be appealing outside of AAA online-focused action games.
  • GodWillTellGodWillTell Posts: 643Registered Users
    Search: Project Ara and Google Glass.

If that's not enough search "OnLive" and what happened to it. Stadia is not an innovation. Others have tried. Steam, PS4, Xbox, Switch? Still alive and more than fine.

The always online streaming-only gaming, that requires a super connection, without the possibility to buy anything...is just stupid.
    Many says Stadia will kill the current gaming world, Steam will close and all our games on the library will disappear, no refunds, Sony and MS will go into bankrupt...HAHAHAHAHAHA. Ridiculous.

Stadia ain't do **** to Steam nor console gaming. I mean, seriously? Playing with AC Odyssey on mobile? And the battery? :D and the publicity? We can't buy ****? Communism.

#FORGHORGON
  • DainDain Posts: 51Registered Users
    It seems that you will buy the games on stadia and no paying a subscription fee.

Plus Google has data centers all over the world to pull it off
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,536Registered Users
    Dain said:

It seems that you will buy the games on stadia and no paying a subscription fee.

that doesn't help if the connections are not stable.

Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,390Registered Users
    We already had a thread about it recently.
    It's highly unlikely that it will become a major thing in the near future.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/237865/google-stadia-and-the-future-of-total-war/p1
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • GodWillTellGodWillTell Posts: 643Registered Users
    Doom Eternal. Played in a super prepared room at the GDC....still affected by lags. Now let's talk about the world, because the world is not that GDC room set by Google.
    And Stadia won't allow games-purchase because of the streaming links and other stupid ideas.
    Let alone that Stadia will be the realm of the Battle Royale games, if it will survive.
    Project Ara? Google Glass? OnLive?
    Diablo Immortal all over again. And what about the censored contents?

#FORGHORGON
    Dain said:

Than what's exactly the point? You buy games you don't own, you can't play offline and you can't mod. All the while you can buy the same games from any other store.
  • DainDain Posts: 51Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Than what's exactly the point? You buy games you don't own, you can't play offline and you can't mod. All the while you can buy the same games from any other store.
    You do not have to own costly hardware nor wait for installing things.

I do not like Stadia as well but I can see the appeal and a large market
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 13,721Registered Users
    Dain said:

Nope.
    Dain said:

How it will disrupt the total war warhammer 3 development since their main business is on steam?

It won't disrupt it, not even slightly.
    Dain said:

It's interesting but that's about it.

It's a disruptive technology that's on its way to market. It's one of those technologies that's years away from making an actual impact. In terms of TWW it's not relevant in the slightest.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • LudboneLudbone Posts: 1,049Registered Users
    Dain said:

I don't care.
    I hate always online stuff, not to mention streaming only games, connections and service problems and subscriptions payment.

No. Not even in your wildest dreams.

Stadia won't do anything to Steam and it will probably fail, like other Google projects, or never be a thing. So where's the problem?
    Beastmen: where is the love?

Dain said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Yeah, I guess so. But you still need a high-speed internet connection, that's costly.
    Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Yeah, I guess so. But you still need a high-speed internet connection, that's costly.
    Honestly that's becoming more and more stock standard and you'd still have to pay that anyway if you play multiplayer.

The technology definitely has potential to disrupt the market. It's just a question of how much and when.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    Dain said:

If you can't install, can't store your savedata, can't mod. . . then you can't purchase nor own nothing.
    You can just "hire" a game for a short amount of time, basing on the subscription I guess. Then there's also another big problem. After a certain amount of time the games will be removed/cancelled, just like Netflix when it removes TV series and Movies.

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Honestly that's becoming more and more stock standard and you'd still have to pay that anyway if you play multiplayer.

The technology definitely has potential to disrupt the market. It's just a question of how much and when.
    I've read in the USA most of the country doesn't even have access to Stadia 4k requirements:

https://gizmodo.com/how-will-google-overcome-stadias-biggest-obstacle-1833426927
    Dain said:

Sitting on 1000 Mbit/s, I click install and go and get something to drink and maybe go to the bathroom and it is downloaded and ready (ok, not really but almost), and installing things on a SSD takes about " " <-- this long.

My hardware costs a lot yes, but for me it is worth it. I will always download and install my games and buy new computer parts when there is need.

I guess this will appeal some that dont have access to a good gaming computer.

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

I've read in the USA most of the country doesn't even have access to Stadia 4k requirements:

https://gizmodo.com/how-will-google-overcome-stadias-biggest-obstacle-1833426927
    I'm from Italy. . . nuff said.

And the 4K won't be a real 4K. It will be an upscaled. It will never reach the power of an hardware.

And a other thing, can you imagine the threads in here about "TURN TIMES IN STADIA IS HORRIBLE! FIX CA!"
    Yeah, I simply don't see it working as a main gaming platform. Maybe for casual gamers or as a side service for hardcore gamers, if it's priced accordingly, to play games they wouldn't own anyway.
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

It's just a matter of time till they do.

It's not something that's going to have an impact now, or next year, or the year after, but it's got enough potential that it will have an impact regardless of if it's google or someone else behind it.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,480Registered Users
    Dain said:

Game Developer here:

This system was talked about for the past 7 years and longer since the rise of browser games.

The main issue for Stadia going mainstream enough is the issue of internet coverage in the world. In order for such a streaming service to be viable, we need high tier internet almost everywhere in north america, europe and asia.

Plus... you will need MASSIVE serverfarms for this.

It will take decades for this to became viable enough to rival something like steam.
  • ThomassiniThomassini Posts: 170Registered Users
    I also don’t see a point NOW, judging how ridiculously cheap games on Steam and other online gaming shops have become, with huge sales basically every month or so.

It certainly has a long-term potential though, imagine a future with 5K or 6K where reliable transmission would be measured in terabytesper second. I believe no one would really care so much to store stuff on HDD or SSD when you can stream it RELIABLY from an online server. I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to store your save games, screenshots and mods as well. It is however long-term project that’s why I stress the word “reliably”.

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

It's not something that's going to have an impact now, or next year, or the year after, but it's got enough potential that it will have an impact regardless of if it's google or someone else behind it.
    Well, sure, but I mean, right now it's mostly a pie in the sky.

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

Xenos7 said:

Dain said:

https://kotaku.com/onlive-the-first-big-streaming-games-service-is-dead-1695386223

• PandajacketPandajacket Posts: 48Registered Users
    Lol, I don’t expect stadia to ever be much of thing. Maybe games that don’t require much hardware or a low latency will be great on it. Like bejeweled.

• SaitohSaitoh Posts: 242Registered Users
    Take it from an IT professional: "the cloud" is not a silver bullet. It just means you're outsourcing something through the internet. So here's the problem: America (Google is an American company so we're the home audience) has some of the slowest home internet connections in the first world. We're sitting here with 10 mbps while South Korea is rocking 10 Gbps. They are literally 1000 times as fast as us.

For interactive anything (and I'm not just talking about videogames here, the classic example is a SQL database) you need a synchronous internet connection meaning your upload is as fast as your download. You are after all offloading the processing to a remote data center, so you have to send them what to process as well as receive the outputs. Synchronous internet connections are generally only used by companies so if you're looking for one it'll be labeled Enterprise. About the only people who have an enterprise grade internet connection where they live are college students.

So here's the heart of the issue: in a country where regional ISP monopolies are the norm rather than the exception, do you think it's easier and cheaper to upgrade your enterprise grade internet connection or your gaming computer?
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 2,586Registered Users
    This isn't the first company that comes up with the idea of game streaming.

It so far doesn't work.

1. Connection quality: Rural area? This sucks. Comcast with constant packetloss. Doesn't work. It makes even your single player games beholden to ping. Or that you must have a good speed even if your area doesn't offer it and there are major US cities right now that still have **** speeds or line quality.

2. Everything now affects single player: Overlaps with 1, but it means that every problem you have playing online at times now affects single player. Storm hits the internet? Tough. Even if you have battery back up now you can't save because suuuuuuuuck, lost connection. Crisp cool click and return of actions from single player now always has a ping.

3. Offline play: Yeah, I have to play a lot of things offline because I have a job where I get tied down for hours and I'm not allowed to use many third party programs on the net. I'm allowed to have my laptop and do things on it so long as I'm not on the company network. This is not possible here. Or if I go on vacation, job traveling, or anything mobile.

4. Game Library, think this library is going to keep that **** game you love? Nah, it's gonna be more like a stream service and they will likely be picker overall of the games they stream. Compared to Steam which lets you download games you have to patch to get to play because they're so old or incompatible(Fallout 3 blarg).
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Posts: 192Registered Users

Another failure and full of ****. I remember 15 years ago that PC gaming will dye, that printing 3D will replace Chinese manufacturing ( didn't happen) , every game is on Oculus or other things like that, still never happened.

What colour was PC gaming going to go?