Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

HELP - High Elves - Tips, Tactics, Builds for Multiplayer.

MWoftheDeadMWoftheDead Posts: 5Registered Users
Hello all,

Thanks for reading. I am relatively new to MP having about 40-50 matches under my belt (and about 40-50 defeats haha).

I have a background as a kid for Warhammer on the table top and tend to favour Elves (high or Wood) and Greenskins... maybe the odd Dwarf or Empire army.

I am looking to improve and focus on my High Elf game. Does anyone have any good tactics, tips, builds (say for a large MP force) they would like to share / discuss?

Any help or advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Also, I have been playing through the MP match selection, is QB the way to go if you favour simply 1v1 while you get your force sorted?

Thanks,

Martin

Comments

• Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 7,605Registered Users
    i dont have time to explain rite now, i be happy to sometime but i do exclusively play elves so if you're interested in elven play please stop by my stream (link in sig), or join my discord i be very happy to anwser specific questions as would others there, though i dont feel my playstyle is beginner friendly but im sure i can offer you match-up specific tips.

Few quick tips;

Always take a mage with no more than 3 spells (preferably 2).
    Have some sort of plan and commit to it, dont be going back and forth for no reason suffering damage for free, always commit to your strategy but modify it as soon as you see opponents army.
    Dont blame losses on opponents army but rather look what you could change in your roster to improve
    I suggest making faction specific builds say HE vs DE than HE vs Emprie etc etc

I know this is not much but above is what i feel is a good start to be improving from game to game in MP.
  • MWoftheDeadMWoftheDead Posts: 5Registered Users

i dont have time to explain rite now, i be happy to sometime but i do exclusively play elves so if you're interested in elven play please stop by my stream (link in sig), or join my discord i be very happy to anwser specific questions as would others there, though i dont feel my playstyle is beginner friendly but im sure i can offer you match-up specific tips.

Few quick tips;

Have some sort of plan and commit to it, dont be going back and forth for no reason suffering damage for free, always commit to your strategy but modify it as soon as you see opponents army.
    Dont blame losses on opponents army but rather look what you could change in your roster to improve

I know this is not much but above is what i feel is a good start to be improving from game to game in MP.

Thank you very much for your reply.

In all honesty I have taken a few good points from this. I like the idea of faction builds pre-set for who you are up against, that makes complete sense and something I am not doing right now. Would you recommend maybe playing vs an AI to test these?

Why the focus on fewer spells? Is this to limit overall cost or to stream line the course of the battle and use of this character?

Thanks,

Martin

Few quick tips;

Thank you very much for your reply.

In all honesty I have taken a few good points from this. I like the idea of faction builds pre-set for who you are up against, that makes complete sense and something I am not doing right now. Would you recommend maybe playing vs an AI to test these?

Why the focus on fewer spells? Is this to limit overall cost or to stream line the course of the battle and use of this character?

Thanks,

Martin
    Spells cost Wind Of Magi, and gold to bring, no matter how much spells you bring your WOM are only 60, basically theres never a situation where you will use all your spells and end up having wasted a lot of gold by brining them all.

Say a mage on foot with all the spells is 1000 gold
    but a mage with just 1 spell can be as little as 350 gold or max 500gold
    that buys you an extra unit, just make sure the spell you pick is the one thats likely benefit yoru army, buff/debuff or damage/healing spells are always useful no matter the situation, other spells are better once you get more familiar with the game (such as movement stopping spells etc)

I dont recommend play AI but i dont discourage it either, i would reccomend goign to a discord though with multiplayer community and posting "new player looking for a learning game or looking for other new player to practice with" many people would be happy to help out, if i have time i be happy have a game or 2 with you and give you ideas.

regarding faction specific builds its definitely what all top players do, i got a build for every elven match-up in the game soemtimes 2, that comes from expeirance combined with what i find to be effective vs those factions.

for example vs Wood elves you would not want swordmasters but vs dwarfs they are a good pick.
    edited April 14
    Perfect, just what I thought and not something I had thought of doing. Makes perfect sense though.

I am watching game you played 3 days ago as high elves vs lizardmen right now haha.

Let me know if you ever wanna play, don't worry about the time factor though dude. I have a 6 year old and a 9 month old so I understand time constraints haha! :)

best of luck with your Twitch buddy and thanks again.
    edited April 14
    Nevermind.
    Post edited by Lotus_Moon on

Nevermind.

Nevermind??

Nevermind.

Nevermind??
    i edited a comment out about streaming in an hour but i cant now so i edited it to never mind.
    Hahaha! No worries buddy. :)
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Posts: 1,759Registered Users
    Quick battles ARE a good way to learn. You’ll encounter a wide variety of races and builds and can always find a match relatively quickly any time of the day.

But arranged with/against people you know can also be helpful as you can get friendly feedback and tips after the battles. If you can find a group or team to train/practice with that can be good, then quick battle when your group is offline/busy.

There was a tournament recently. If you browse some of the threads that were in response to the tournaments a couple people linked their group discords. Also feel free to message people after a game if it was a good match.

As far as build advice, kinda like Lotus said, you want to tailor your build to your specific match up. Against heavily armored factions, White Lions make a better frontline, but monster heavy factions, a frontline of spearmen is more effective.

Some of the match up dynamics you’ll learn as you go. Stuff like chariots are good against Dwarfs but it’s usually pointless to try and outshoot them, while Fire damage is typically handy vs Undead, etc etc. But if you struggle against a specific race over and over even after you think you’ve gotten a better handle on things you can always ask for help on here and you’ll usually get good responses.

Along the same lines as only bringing a couple spells with your mage....try to have a PLAN. Then build to accommodate. Like if your plan is to go for that massive buff stacking Phas Protection + Brionnas Time Warp Light Wizard ‘waaagish’ build then make sure your build is suited to accommodate.

^^thats a melee rush build, that buffs primarily MA + MD......so bringing a bunch of archers with it would be pointless/wouldn’t synergize well.

Or if you prefer to take advantage of the HE’s ranged units, then bringing things like Sisters of Avelorn AND Handmaidens which can buff ranged attacks makes sense. But knowing Sisters have to be stationary to apply their damage, make sure you have something to protect from the skies and to block high mass stuff from charging in/reaching them.

Basically, in addition to tailoring your builds towards each faction, make sure you’re reading your unit abilities and know where you want your ‘real’ damage to be coming from, and make sure your other units benefit each other or protect each other from their vulnerabilities.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Welcome to MP :)
  • CirdanCirdan Posts: 527Registered Users
    edited April 15
    Poor guy, if you get hooked on MP you will not be able to go back to SP games. ;)

I can send you some pictures of my builds if you like.

I might not be a super pro (as Lotus for example), but i got around 600 wins as HE under my belt on ladder. :)
  • haynamshaynams Posts: 267Registered Users
    Cirdan said:

Poor guy, if you get hooked on MP you will not be able to go back to SP games. ;)

Seconded. MP ruined campaign for me. RUINED!

Hell, it also ruined Tabletop/8th edition!
  • ZoRobinZoRobin Posts: 197Registered Users
    HE are incredibly weak and very easy to lose.
    Iru
    Nah HE are a really strong faction and quite balanced at the moment.

They have few OP and few UP things but overall a really good roster.
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Posts: 3,600Registered Users
    HE can be a difficult first faction as most units are specialized and need to get on good engagements to shine. Expensive roster can make mistakes costly, though healing can mitigate mistakes on single entities.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file