Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

High Elf Regiments of Renown

OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 433Registered Users
edited April 15 in Balancing Discussions
What are your guys thoughts on the HE ror's? Looking at the RoR's for Skaven and Lizardmen I can see some thought was put into making them assist in bad matchups or give the factions more tactical options. For some HE ones I do see this but others seem a bit out of place.

Scions of Mathlaan = Tanky spear unit, Charge defence against all, 12% ward save when mana over 50%. Seems designed to tank damage on the frontline and bolster the units around it. As HE units benefit from not being nuked down, I can see how these guys are meant to work.

The Puremane Company = Armour sundering is supposed to allow HE non-armour piercing archers to punish armoured monsters that charge the frontline? Also allow the non-AP cavalry to hit rearcharges with bigger impact? + Guardian is meant to help characters on foot I assume?

Keepers of the Flame = I really have no idea what gap these guys were meant to fill. It doesn't help that I can't find anything on what exactly Mark of Asuryan does or how it works. I gather it leads to explosion on death, but how much damage are we talking here? And what are the magic attacks meant to help against? I don't quite see what ap this unit fills that a normal unit of Phoenix Guard doesn't at -$250 gold. Anyone got any ideas?

The Storm Riders = Another one I can't figure out. I can see the value of vanguarding a unit with Charge Defence against large and fear, but the HE don't really have enough Vanguard options to need a fallback point like this. Ellyrian reavers and shadow warriors will get stomped if caught out of position, this unit won't change that as far as I can tell. Anyone got any thought on this one?

The Grey = Snipe + Vanguard + Great Stats + Stalk + Fire Whilst Moving + Loec's shroud..... these guys could be sick but they are just a little overpriced atm imo. Not sure how much cheaper they should be but I literally never see them. Ever.

Everqueen's Courtguard = Banner of Avelorn is pretty cool, could synergise really well with the loremaster of Hoeth (who has no WoM regen items). The Loremaster is just overpriced currently so their best chance for synergy isn't fully viable atm. Other than that, great damage output, ruckus stats and hard to shut down. Seems like a solid unit that just needs its complement (loremaster of hoeth) made a bit cheaper to be a great pick.

Fireborn = All the advantages of lvl 9 Dragon Princes + Fire Attacks + Anti large. Nuff said, sick unit.

Heralds of the Wind = Incredible skirmish unit, 105 speed w/ 140 range is no laughing matter.

So I guess the main ones I am a bit confused about are The Puremane Company, Keepers of the Flame, & the Storm Riders. They seems in a slightly unusual spot in the roster, or maybe I'm not using them right.

EDIT: Not interested in the elf fanboy rants or the anti-elf namecalling. Keep that **** to yourselves, it's just a game.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• WitchbladeWitchblade Posts: 67Registered Users
    Are you asking about game balance or how to use them? If it's the latter, this is the wrong forum.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 5,619Registered Users
    OrkLads said:

What are your guys thoughts on the HE ror's? Looking at the RoR's for Skaven and Lizardmen I can see some thought was put into making them assist in bad matchups or give the factions more tactical options. For some HE ones I do see this but others seem a bit out of place.

Scions of Mathlaan = Tanky spear unit, Charge defence against all, 12% ward save when mana over 50%. Seems designed to tank damage on the frontline and bolster the units around it. As HE units benefit from not being nuked down, I can see how these guys are meant to work.

The Puremane Company = Armour sundering is supposed to allow HE non-armour piercing archers to punish armoured monsters that charge the frontline? Also allow the non-AP cavalry to hit rearcharges with bigger impact? + Guardian is meant to help characters on foot I assume?

Keepers of the Flame = I really have no idea what gap these guys were meant to fill. It doesn't help that I can't find anything on what exactly Mark of Asuryan does or how it works. I gather it leads to explosion on death, but how much damage are we talking here? And what are the magic attacks meant to help against? I don't quite see what ap this unit fills that a normal unit of Phoenix Guard doesn't at -$250 gold. Anyone got any ideas?

The Storm Riders = Another one I can't figure out. I can see the value of vanguarding a unit with Charge Defence against large and fear, but the HE don't really have enough Vanguard options to need a fallback point like this. Ellyrian reavers and shadow warriors will get stomped if caught out of position, this unit won't change that as far as I can tell. Anyone got any thought on this one?

The Grey = Snipe + Vanguard + Great Stats + Stalk + Fire Whilst Moving + Loec's shroud..... these guys could be sick but they are just a little overpriced atm imo. Not sure how much cheaper they should be but I literally never see them. Ever.

Everqueen's Courtguard = Banner of Avelorn is pretty cool, could synergise really well with the loremaster of Hoeth (who has no WoM regen items). The Loremaster is just overpriced currently so their best chance for synergy isn't fully viable atm. Other than that, great damage output, ruckus stats and hard to shut down. Seems like a solid unit that just needs its complement (loremaster of hoeth) made a bit cheaper to be a great pick.

Fireborn = All the advantages of lvl 9 Dragon Princes + Fire Attacks + Anti large. Nuff said, sick unit.

Heralds of the Wind = Incredible skirmish unit, 105 speed w/ 140 range is no laughing matter.

So I guess the main ones I am a bit confused about are The Puremane Company, Keepers of the Flame, & the Storm Riders. They seems in a slightly unusual spot in the roster, or maybe I'm not using them right.

EDIT: Not interested in the elf fanboy rants or the anti-elf namecalling. Keep that shitt to yourselves, it's just a game.

MY view is that all 3 elven faction ROR are well balanced, strong but not OP, there is not one where its auto pick unlike other ROR, the elven ones is always a choice between vanilla unit or ROR which i think is great for balance.

Now about HE ones specifically;

Scions of Mathlaan - decent but very high cost, i would personally like -50g on them

The Puremane Company - very good for their cost, their synergies are not the best but for this cost they still great

Keepers of the Flame - I don't know they not bad not good, they costed correctly but feel underwhelming, nevertheless if they ever get a buff it will need to come with cost increase, the only Free buff that i can think for them would be unbreakable because they already have 100ld and cause fear so not only would unbreakable suit them but it would't improve them "that" much.

The Storm Riders - One of my favourite ROR, if they had shields for +50g they be amazing, but i just love this unit.

The Grey - great on paper, way to expensive in practice, to be fair though their abilities and stats are worth the cost, just i don't want all the stuff they get, personally i would drop the loecs shroud, give them unspotable and -50cost.

Everqueen's Courtguard - very underrated i feel, sisters are freaking amazing in melee and ror ones are wow, if theres one ROR unit in HE roster that might be slightly OP its this one, but only by 50g

Fireborn - seem better than they are, i dont think they worth 1850g at all but i often take them anyway, they good if you can get them on rite target but overpriced if you cant. I feel they need either -50g or +2ap or +3 bonus v large.

Heralds of the Wind - decently balanced unit, i never find the need to take them as reaver archers is not a unit i want to throw into melee, their speed is also wasted since i run them with 2 more reavers, so on paper seem good but in reality you pay too much for stats you don't use, i would like them get +20 armour and be a medium cav, i think that would make them worth it.

Overall once again this is how ROR should be done, a choice in the roster not an auto pick.

I do hope HE get at lest 2 more ROR in the future, and if possible i would love a unit of shadow walkers to be a ROR in HE roster.
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Posts: 2,382Registered Users
    The puremane is pretty good vs vc, that's where I use them most for stats and Guardian. Otherwise armor sundering is a bit misplaced on a wl unit I guess.

The exploding pg I think do decent damage. Magic damage can be useful too. Test them parallel to rank 9 pg to see the effect.

The lsg I never use, don't think it's worth it.

In general I don't use any ror tbh, they cost extra in an already expensive roster so for most part I try to go for another unit instead. Fireborn is the exception sometimes because it brings something unique.
  • Green0Green0 Posts: 3,237Registered Users
    edited April 15
    - Scions of Mathlann: I'd like to see them reworked, they promote boxing play which is boring
    - Puremane Company: too many abilities in 1 unit, like typical for HE. Remove Guardian and -75g and give Guardian option to Noble/Handmaiden if necessary. It's a good unit, the slight problem I see is that the best synergy Guardian has in HE roster is with Tyrion since if you pick Princess you'll have a Dragon mount while all other viable Lords are casters so Guardian doesn't matter too much.
    - Keepers of the Flame: agree with you here I don't see the utility of the explosion. At least give them ItP, something that would make me consider picking them over regular. Very boring unit.
    - Storm Riders: Lotus likes this unit, I really don't. It's very weird to make it work. It has too many traits and while they can be made to work, I don't see it play in a different way than how Lotus uses it. I think it's very specific/situational not bad though.
    - The Grey: bad unit. I'd like them to have more AP or armor sundering in exchange for snipe especially now that there has been a lot of power creep with new and old factions. Something that would make me consider picking them over regular shadow warrior. Their active ability is totally worthless.
    - Everqueen's Courtguard: alright unit. Synergizes well with Teclis for example. Not an autopick though.
    - Fireborn: good unit. I'd like them to have +1 or +2 AP since it would help HE a bit vs nasty cavalry units such as Demis. I think +1/+2 AP wouldn't make this unit toxic vs medium armor units but would help currently difficult matchups.
    - Heralds of the Wind: they could use +ammo, they do more damage but only due to rank 9 stats = faster firerate. They don't do more damage per volley. Improved melee stats are nice but again it's rank 9 stats nothing more. Speed is nice but basic Ellyrean Reavers have already enough speed to harass in most matchups. The only situation where I can see speed being useful is vs something like Poison Warhounds, but those are not a priority to target with Reavers and also have missile resist. Not sure how to improve this unit but it's not my favorite.

Overall except for 2-3 I think HE RoR are in a good spot and should be the gold standard with which other RoRs are balanced.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 3,083Registered Users
    Puremane is good - armour sundering plus archers just need some good timing to maximize the benefit.
  • SarmatiansSarmatians Posts: 2,737Registered Users
    Scions of Mathlan should lose that ward save aura, and get aquatic and fire resist, and get a drop in cost, to 750-775.

• Cukie251Cukie251 Posts: 536Registered Users
    I find the Storm Riders are in kindof a weird place. Their stats are really good but the lack of shield makes them kindof difficult to use in builds where you would conventionally bring sea guard w/ shield as a counter-skirmisher. They also don't have stalk so, while vanguard is nice, they can't always support a stalked shadow warrior unit without losing the element of surprise.

That makes them pretty good in some dive heavy matchups without a ton of counter-skirmish options like vamps and maybe norsica, but imo it makes it pretty niche and they pay for a lot of stuff they don't really get to use.
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Posts: 2,638Registered Users

Scions of Mathlan should lose that ward save aura, and get aquatic and fire resist, and get a drop in cost, to 750-775.

Then they would be even more useless...
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Posts: 2,382Registered Users
    Cukie251 said:

I find the Storm Riders are in kindof a weird place. Their stats are really good but the lack of shield makes them kindof difficult to use in builds where you would conventionally bring sea guard w/ shield as a counter-skirmisher. They also don't have stalk so, while vanguard is nice, they can't always support a stalked shadow warrior unit without losing the element of surprise.

That makes them pretty good in some dive heavy matchups without a ton of counter-skirmish options like vamps and maybe norsica, but imo it makes it pretty niche and they pay for a lot of stuff they don't really get to use.

Some like them but I am with you here. Personally I prefer another sw or era instead of the ror lsg. Maybe if you are doing a full back deployment.
  • MukipMukip Posts: 502Registered Users
    edited April 15
    For the Scions of Mathlann: Change the ward save aura to affect a maximum 3-4 units and increase radius to 55m.

So they won't be able to box as much and you can then spread out the accompanying units a bit more.

I'd also remove the requirement for mana to be above 50% and maybe reduce the price of the unit by 25-50.
  • another505another505 Posts: 492Registered Users
    Puremane company occassionaly use it with prince/princess on dragon or/with archers support. It will be the place i want to breakthrough and then roll over the front line.

Herald of the Wind is my favourite ROR in the whole game, not really a competitive unit but really fun to use.

Storm rider, I would imagine being used against BM when the backline can be compromise quite fast, they have fear and can hold well.
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Posts: 863Registered Users
    OrkLads said:

EDIT: Not interested in the elf fanboy rants or the anti-elf namecalling. Keep that **** to yourselves, it's just a game.

I think I agree with most of your observations, as for my 2 cents

Scions of Mathlaan - Solid unit, definitely a bit pricy and seems to be almost exclusively used for resistance blobbing with PG. Not entirely sure how to change that though. Price dropping might make them more universally viable, but also makes annoying PG blobs even more annoying.

The Puremane Company - Might be worth it for raw stats, but their abilities are fairly pointless imo. Guardian doesn't really synergize well with anything on the HE roster except a loremaster or something like Tyrion on foot(a similar issue to some other RoR's like sons of Ghorros). Armor sundering only really synergizes with archers, except its a slow foot unit that doesn't have the ability to necessarily reach the target you want armor sundered. I'd say they're a fair bit like the Peak Gate Guard in this sense. Get no personal benefit from armor sundering and are too slow to get to an optimal target with it. PLus it's not like the armor sundering RoR's for Wood Elves or GS where you can synergize with some lower AP melee, because your only low AP melee is spears that do potato damage anyway.

Keepers of the Flame - Strong in raw stats, the boost with magic makes them slightly better vs undead and the explosion does some undisclosed amount of damage. Personally I'm also not sure how I feel about them. It seems I don't use them unless im trying to deathball.

Storm Riders - Not a fan. This isn't wood elves where my other vanguard protection is relatively flimsy cav that can't fight other cav. They're laden with abilities that don't do that much for them(fire on the move, fear). Are too expensive to function as a traditional LSG unit and not really defined enough to function as a vanguard support tool instead of something like Silverhelms, Dragon Princes or Ellyrian reavers. It doesn't help that HE have access to some of the most self-sufficient vanguard troops in the game.

The Grey - Very overpriced. Snipe is simply not worth that much on a unit that will usually get revealed pretty handily. Honestly, the only unit where I can see snipe being really good is on the new skaven RoR because of how huge its range is, but for most others it just doesn't matter that much.

Everqueens Courtguard - Once again just a tad too pricy for what they provide. HE casters already have really good WoM to begin with, which kinda hurts the Everqueens Courtguards gimmick.

Fireborn - Nothing to be said for these guys. Best RoR the HE have. Not necessarily an autopick, but very powerful and a great tool for equalizing certain fights vs large.

Heralds of the Wind - Absolutely love this unit. A bit pricy for sure, but I like the boosted melee stats and higher mobility for hammer and anvils in the flank skirmishes you'll sometimes get vs factions like beastmen. I think theyre niche but decent.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • tank3487tank3487 Member Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    OrkLads said:

The Puremane Company - , because your only low AP melee is spears that do potato damage anyway.

HE does have other nonAP melee troops in subfaction. They are quite nice if you use Averlorn.
    OrkLads said:

Keepers of the Flame - Strong in raw stats, the boost with magic makes them slightly better vs undead and the explosion does some undisclosed amount of damage. Personally I'm also not sure how I feel about them. It seems I don't use them unless im trying to deathball.

Vs faction like VC they are worth it. Can be deadly to Chaos too if you deal with hellcannon.
  • Green0Green0 Posts: 3,237Registered Users
    tank3487 said:

OrkLads said:

The Puremane Company - , because your only low AP melee is spears that do potato damage anyway.

HE does have other nonAP melee troops in subfaction. They are quite nice if you use Averlorn.
    OrkLads said:

Vs faction like VC they are worth it. Can be deadly to Chaos too if you deal with hellcannon.
    How are keepers useful vs Chaos? Honest question, I would never pick them vs Chaos but maybe you know something I don't.
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 433Registered Users

OrkLads said:

EDIT: Not interested in the elf fanboy rants or the anti-elf namecalling. Keep that shitt to yourselves, it's just a game.

The Storm Riders - One of my favourite ROR, if they had shields for +50g they be amazing, but i just love this unit.

Overall once again this is how ROR should be done, a choice in the roster not an auto pick.

I do hope HE get at lest 2 more ROR in the future, and if possible i would love a unit of shadow walkers to be a ROR in HE roster.
    Could you elaborate on how you use the Stormriders? as another505 said, I think vs Beastmen they could be a good pick as that fear would make them tricky to shutdown, but I find them difficult to use otherwise.

OrkLads said:

OrkLads said:

Could you elaborate on how you use the Stormriders? as another505 said, I think vs Beastmen they could be a good pick as that fear would make them tricky to shutdown, but I find them difficult to use otherwise.

They got 80 ld amd cause fear, they hold for very long time vs any faction, they vanguard and are anti large, put them near your shadow warriors orr reavers and suddenly cav cannot engage them, they amazing for supporting cav fights aswell as they bring fear into the equation.

Big issue is people dont use SW that much, they the beat bodyguard for those.

The fire on the move is just a bit extra to use their ammo.

Basically use them as a combat unit and keep fire at will on so they use up their ammo.

They are amazing roadblck unit due to high md, fear and 80ld.

In my view the best he ROR
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 433Registered Users

OrkLads said:

OrkLads said:

They got 80 ld amd cause fear, they hold for very long time vs any faction, they vanguard and are anti large, put them near your shadow warriors orr reavers and suddenly cav cannot engage them, they amazing for supporting cav fights aswell as they bring fear into the equation.

Basically use them as a combat unit and keep fire at will on so they use up their ammo.

Thanks for the tips, I will give them a go. I definitely underutilise Shadow Warriors too, so will try to include them in more of my builds.
    OrkLads said:

OrkLads said:

OrkLads said:

Thanks for the tips, I will give them a go. I definitely underutilise Shadow Warriors too, so will try to include them in more of my builds.
    The best way i can describe how to use them, is treat them as an offensive support unit that aims to support skirmishes or cav. If you dont have 2+ of either of those than its not worth it, definitely don't use them in isolation unless it makes sense to sacrifice them and it provides you an advantage.

Getting fear into cav fight is a very big.
  • ZoRobinZoRobin Posts: 179Registered Users
    HE RoR are all poorly designed and overpriced. They all need price reduction.

Fireborn also need +2 ap along with all dragon prince.
    The Puremane Company should have another ability. Armour sundering is plain stupid on AP melee units
    Iru