Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So what is your opinion of Vampirates DLC now?

ThomassiniThomassini Registered Users Posts: 857
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
In light of what Grace confirmed, I cannot help but start to actively dislike what was animation- and unit-wise top notch work. Actually I didn’t have anything against VC2 per se when it came out, I even mildly supported it. But now...

It basically means the lovely faction of Vampire Coast has knocked out either Araby or DoW out of the game (certainly game two, at least). One of them still can be a pre-order race pack but the other one is out of question.

If you ask me, I’d have not only Araby and DoW instead of them, I’d even take Amazons in their place. VC theme is totally cliche (more than anything else in TWW) and at least two lords seem tacked on. Just my two cents.

Comments

• FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Not sure about the rebalancing coming. But they’re single army they’re capable of building is usually ridiculous. Noctilus and his army of transformers is so incredibly difficult to beat.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 4,330

In light of what Grace has confirmed, I cannot help but start to actively dislike what was animation- and unit-wise top notch work. Actually I didn’t have anything against VC2 per se when they came out, I even mildly supported it. But now...

It basically means the lovely faction of Vampire Coast has knocked out either Araby or DoW out of the game (certainly game two, at least). One of them still can be a pre-order race pack but the other one is out of question.

If you ask me, I’d have not only Araby and DoW instead of them, I’d even take Amazons in their place. VC theme is totally cliche (more than anything else in TWW) and at least two lords seems tacked on. Just my two cents.

It was in the Warhammer setting in one of the old editions; so its part of the setting. Undead Pirates are a fairly common trope.

DoW still have a chance to come in Game Three. Vampire Coast couldn't come in game three.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 4,971
    I would have preferred it as a 2 lord mini race, or, as a combined pack with Araby with 2 lords for them as well.

That way we would get only 'real' content, instead of made up stuff.
    Beastmen

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,857
    I still think they are objectively very nice. But I still have no inclination to play them.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • PappyTronPappyTron Registered Users Posts: 994
    I must confess that I have a soft spot for Cylostra Direfin, critics be damned.
    "Back in the sweatshop in Ulthuan, we found an Elf, we tossed it right in the soup. Those hungry bastards ate Elf soup every day. What's the worst thing that could happen? Some little snotling chokes on a hairball and dies? So then you toss him in the soup. I was making money hand over foot, literally. Some gobbo lost a hand or a foot, I'd toss it in the soup" - Grom
  • DerpyRoxasDerpyRoxas Registered Users Posts: 3,242
    As an Araby fan, I won't step in and say "I would have prefered Araby instead of Vampire Coast".
    Because more content is better. No matter what, I don't think VC2 has "stolen" the lightspot.
    What makes me a bit suspicious is that we don't yet know about the Pre-order bonus. There's still a chance since it's a DLC that come very much later in production cycle.
    Surge_2 said:

I would have preferred it as a 2 lord mini race, or, as a combined pack with Araby with 2 lords for them as well.

That way we would get only 'real' content, instead of made up stuff.

They don't combine races like that.
  • kevManiackevManiac Registered Users Posts: 710
    Agreed. I never liked the Vampire Coast to start with, and now that it KO'd Araby out of the game, I dislike it. But we can't do anything about unfortunately. We don't even know whether CA tried to create it, and that Games Workshop said no. But it is a shame indeed.
    The only hope I have left, is that the pre-order bonus of Game 3 will be Araby. But this is probably false hope...

The only real thing I find weird (assuming Araby never comes): why are there so many ruins in the Southlands where Araby is supposed to be? Just put the place full of Bretonnian Crusaders, and be done with it... Well, we shall see...
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,315
    Hmm you know what? I'd pay more for this lord pack then that race pack. If I had to choose between the two, it would always be this one, especially for that FLC. It adds more settlements, the same number of lords (assuming kroak is worth the same as a lord) and more factions to the game.
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered Users Posts: 1,090
    Atrocious

Believe in humanity!
  • BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 768

In light of what Grace has confirmed, I cannot help but start to actively dislike what was animation- and unit-wise top notch work. Actually I didn’t have anything against VC2 per se when they came out, I even mildly supported it. But now...

If you ask me, I’d have not only Araby and DoW instead of them, I’d even take Amazons in their place. VC theme is totally cliche (more than anything else in TWW) and at least two lords seems tacked on. Just my two cents.

I still love it! Never thought I'd ever see Count Noctilus and Luthor Harkon in Total War, and I've loved the lore of these obscure characters since the time I found out about their existence on some godcursed wiki page. I think that both Harkon and Noctilus are more relevant players to the overall events of Warhammer Fantasy than DOW guys like Borgio the Besieger, Lupio Sunscryer, Lucrezzia or unknown Araby characters. I still hope that eventually we will see both DOW and Araby, but for now I'm too happy that I've got "Curse of the Vampire Coast". Really, I could never guess it, I was thinking that no way we would ever get this Vampire Counts offshot with a little White Dwarf list. But BAM! Instead of DOW announcement (which I was waiting for) we've got the beatiful trailer with the legendary shanty!
    For inclusion of Vampire Coast CA has my eternal gratitude.
  • chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,038
    edited April 2019
    I never really liked it after it delayed an actually essential lp as opposed to whatever padding they future release and now after this latest terrible decision even less as it hogged a race spot probably.

• PatriksevePatrikseve Member Registered Users Posts: 1,966
    edited April 2019
    I dont want Dow in the game as a faction, I wouldnt protest if they was added either (I always thought they would be added as random stacks like we have now roaming about, but you could pay cash to hire for something). Albion should be a minor faction at the very best but I wont protest if they get added either, I just think they arent that important for game 2 (more important in regards to game 3). Im still hoping for Araby but I take Vampire Coast over Dow and tilea/estalia etc. any day of the week. I think fans of the universe will feel different about it because we all have favourite factions. Still hoping Araby makes the cut at some point. I think they could make a great faction both in game 2 or even in game 3. Other than that I will enjoy the next content regardless of what it is. This dlc looks great aswell with all the uppdates and also a bit of a rebalance for Vampire Coast so the conquer much less and build coves and sack much more.

• DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,552
    After what Grace told us, does this mean we might never see Araby ?

Is there hope that they can still be added in game 3 ? And also, what are the DLC factions that are still able to be released on map 3 of warhammer 3 ?

can someone answer this for me please :) ?

Man, I would really hate to never see Araby though ... and only Lord Packs from now on, alright, but how many ? and we can ONLY assume this means we don't have to wait another 6 months to just get a lord pack again ? Would it be fair to get a DLC drop every 3/4 months if its only lord packs from now on ?

Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • AngmirAngmir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I didnt wante Vampire Pirates at all, but I accepted them regardless out of respect for CA, hopping that they will keep on delivering for everyone.

Turns out they wasted that Faction DLC on a faction they chose selfishly, and not what comunity wanted, what Warhammer world needed.

I have purchased every single DLC for this 2 games as soon as they were released, paying full prices for them. Including Vampire Cost which I didnt wanted (and didnt played them at all).

This might be the last DLC I have bought.

It is ok to make selfish decisions sometimes as game developers, but then you have to work extra hard to cover for your selfishness with something that was expected of you.

I am greatefull to CA for making Warhammer Total War reality, but I feel they have betreyed my trust with this one.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,205
    I never liked them.

And honestly, yeah I'm a bit more bitter about them now.

Southern Realms or Araby would have seemed a far better fit for TWWH, since you know... they're actual kingdoms and what not with armies that can conquer and hold territory and have a culture to spread.

Honestly... Vampire Coast should have been a small race pack with only two lords - Harkon and Noctilus, occupying Galleon's Graveyard and The Vampire Coast. The other two lords were a COMPLETE WASTE, and they ruined Sartosa to boot.

I think the 4 LL requirement they stuck themselves to was a mistake.

Norsca only has 2 LL and it's fine.

They could always add more as FLC if they felt like it.

But I would honestly have rather had two race packs with 2 LL each than just 1 Vampire Coast.
  • KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 2,989
    Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe they doing this because they need more DLC options for WH3? If they added Araby, DoW and Southern Realms etc now, what would there be to add during WH3 besides these Lord Packs they are discussing now? I'm sure they want the same exact DLC diversity we have seen from WH1 and WH2 and not bottleneck themselves into either/or.

Besides that, they may want to touch up and finish what we have before moving on to the new. Araby and the rest could very well end up being WH3 DLC's.

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 4,571
    DoW are not out, they would make more sense in 2, but they could easily have been in 1, 2, or 3. They are the most mobile faction as far as the 'story map' and can go into their actual places on the new ME map with ease.

Araby could still be the preorder bonus.

Albion and Amazons were always extraordinary long shots.
  • Ghost327Ghost327 Registered Users Posts: 22
    Would have prefered DoW over them, but Araby wont be missed.
    edited April 2019
    Angmir said:

I didnt wante Vampire Pirates at all, but I accepted them regardless out of respect for CA, hopping that they will keep on delivering for everyone.

Turns out they wasted that Faction DLC on a faction they chose selfishly, and not what comunity wanted, what Warhammer world needed.

I have purchased every single DLC for this 2 games as soon as they were released, paying full prices for them. Including Vampire Cost which I didnt wanted (and didnt played them at all).

This might be the last DLC I have bought.

It is ok to make selfish decisions sometimes as game developers, but then you have to work extra hard to cover for your selfishness with something that was expected of you.

I am greatefull to CA for making Warhammer Total War reality, but I feel they have betreyed my trust with this one.

Exactly instead of doing what was best for the game which was doing this new lp then they short term hurt it by selfishly adding more vampires then decide to not do races should have made first.

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,857
    Kelefane said:

Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe they doing this because they need more DLC options for WH3? If they added Araby, DoW and Southern Realms etc now, what would there be to add during WH3 besides these Lord Packs they are discussing now? I'm sure they want the same exact DLC diversity we have seen from WH1 and WH2 and not bottleneck themselves into either/or.

Besides that, they may want to touch up and finish what we have before moving on to the new. Araby and the rest could very well end up being WH3 DLC's.

How do you sell races for a TWW3 map that can only be played if you own all three games? Unless you recycle a map that has already seen use in two games for both of TWW3s maps or you move stuff around that doesn’t remotely fit the answer is it is going to be a hard sell.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,305
    People seem to forget that games workshop might have stopped Araby from coming. Dont they want avoid real world cultural stereotypes?

Also @Itharus I have to agree that they should have sticked with a race pack for vamp coast. Even though they happen to be in my top 3 factions it would have been better to make another faction along it like Araby.

I specify Araby because a DoW with a more mercenary theme is still possible for game 3.
  • forthekey67forthekey67 Registered Users Posts: 131
    Vampire Coast are a great addition and I'm glad we got them. My only major complaint was the unloreful effect the AI factions had on the map and this seems to be getting addressed in the next patch.

I'd like to see southern realms get their own roster one day but it's not something I'm excited for so don't regret that we got Coast instead at all.
    edited April 2019
    Rikis said:

People seem to forget that games workshop might have stopped Araby from coming. Dont they want avoid real world cultural stereotypes?

Also @Itharus I have to agree that they should have sticked with a race pack for vamp coast. Even though they happen to be in my top 3 factions it would have been better to make another faction along it like Araby.

I specify Araby because a DoW with a more mercenary theme is still possible for game 3.

So they should have just done dow instead seeing as only huge rather than moderate shoehorning is going to manage to get them on likely final game map anyway so it is prime time to make them.

Also. Cylostra was fundamental for a race like Araby since permitted CA to introduce CA-characters to the World. So no Cylostra, no Great Sultan and so on.

What they did to Aranessa, however, and that's just my opinion on her alone, is pretty horrible.
    Warhammer Sicily became an horrible undead haven and I have fond memories of what it looked like in the RPG
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Registered Users Posts: 1,966

Rikis said:

So they should have just done dow instead seeing as only huge shoehorning is going to manage to get them on likely final game map anyway so it is prime time to make them.
    Dow as a non playable faction for game 3 mega map is a perfect fit if they make them. Spread out merc hordes that you and Ai can hire for cash to do something with a special command mechanic or hire special stacks that you cant disband, nor change units within or hire more from that you then can send wherever you need them (they would of course have high upkeep and a big price to get. They might or might not succeed. You could also hire agents from them, this would also allow you to not get negatives unless they find out who hired them something they might not. I also agree with some one above that stated it might also be for game 3 content.

Why add Dogs of War to game three when Tilea/Estalia/Southern Princes arent in game three?
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 4,571
    Amonkhet said:

Why add Dogs of War to game three when Tilea/Estalia/Southern Princes arent in game three?

They are the mercenary, raiding, exploring, and treasure hunting faction. Does anyone actually read the lord of the Dogs of War? Fighting on the glaciers north of Naggaroth. They go where the money and opportunity are.

Border Princes and Estalia are not really that much of a major element of the DoW.

Tilea is, and it's Tilea that was funding all the treasure hunting, colonization, raiding, privateering and more.

You can simply add a plot macguffin as to why they've brought their mobile mercenary armies. And then plop them where you want them later. It was unlikely they were going to cram all four legendary lords into Tilea anyways.

I mean look at Ikkit Claw. Ikkit has spent infinitely more time building the warpforges of Skavenblight, fighting with dwarves or the empire than ever with the LM. But surprise, Vortex plot macguffin has him in jungles, but where he should be on the ME map.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,205
    Strictly speaking...

We already have Dogs of War as a non-playable faction in WH2.

They are called Rogue Armies.

They are armies that start out as a building-less horde that can conquer a settlement and found a faction.
    Nyxilis said:

Amonkhet said:

They are the mercenary, raiding, exploring, and treasure hunting faction. Does anyone actually read the lord of the Dogs of War? Fighting on the glaciers north of Naggaroth. They go where the money and opportunity are.

Border Princes and Estalia are not really that much of a major element of the DoW.

Tilea is, and it's Tilea that was funding all the treasure hunting, colonization, raiding, privateering and more.

You can simply add a plot macguffin as to why they've brought their mobile mercenary armies. And then plop them where you want them later. It was unlikely they were going to cram all four legendary lords into Tilea anyways.

I mean look at Ikkit Claw. Ikkit has spent infinitely more time building the warpforges of Skavenblight, fighting with dwarves or the empire than ever with the LM. But surprise, Vortex plot macguffin has him in jungles, but where he should be on the ME map.
    Wait... Ikit did not literally pass half of his life in Zharr Naggrund learning nasty secrets?
    POSTPONE HIM TO WH3