Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bretonnia Rework Overview: A few nice touches, but its honestly trash overall.

CaliburxZeroCaliburxZero Posts: 22Registered Users
edited April 21 in Feedback & Suggestions
The tagline of the monumental fails of Bretonnia should be: Two steps back, one step forward.

So let's first get the Four things right listed off first onto what was added/changed with Bret:

- Confederation System with the Heraldry research is much better. Being left up to RNG to confederate was garbage, so good job here.
- Tech for decrees against the other factions is nice and logical that we would get those, so points here too.
- The fact that some units don't need secondary buildings to recruit is also nice on a empire management level and a buff to how quick Bretonnia can increase their power.
- Its about time the Garrisons weren't so laughable for Bretonnia. Its pathetic it took this long to buff something so blatantly laughable.

Okay, now let's talk about everything wrong with the "rework".

- Bretonnia's Calvary may be the best, but its kind of insulting that stat-wise Peasant infantry is trash to this degree still. Trying to establish a battle line is almost impossible against another competent group. Seeing the higher-end Men-at-arms get some more armor outside of base 30 would've been appreciated as an example. At least factions with lesser infantry like Tomb Kings get to eventually get better outside of a single unit type.
- Why were we not given some more units? Bretonnia's roster is awful outside of its Calvary, and they alone definitely can't just make up for all deficiencies that's for sure. Given how long its been I would've hoped for at least *one* more infantry type outside of Foot Squires that would be remotely any good to use.
- The new vow system is outright garbage. So, until we get access to the other legendary lords you have pigeon-holed all armies to be awful and relegated to almost entirely peasantry because you can't give knight's vow to lords until your Chivalry goes much higher. Why was this done? The Vow system should've been an ADDITION to being able to drop points into the vows: Let all lords start with it like it does when you hit X chivalry, but let lords take the knight's vow easily too so that you aren't forced to neuter your economy to have decent armies outside of your main lord for awhile. You're gimped on fielding anything good for early and mid game, and heaven forbid you play at Very Hard or Legendary where you're having to fight with multiple AI that will field equally as good of armies, and more of them because your peasant economy weighs you down like a shackle.

Now for a generalized rant that I just want to talk about the faction:

So, I get why peasants are this garbage but... lore-wise, Grail Knights and equivalents are supposed to be *demi* gods. Balance seems to be mostly fine on the balance of lore but the Knights at the top end are definitely not so good to make up for everything else and their deficiencies. I will profess, I am no TWW expert and know all the stats, and some Legendary difficulty god however the fact that Creative Assembly has reworked Bretonnia THREE times should show the incompetence here, no less how much the faction needs work. Its a vicious cycle with this new rework: Can't get vows, so you're stuck with a grossly underpowered army. So you want to recruit more to make up for lack of quality with quantity, BUT you can't do that because peasant economy doesn't let you. All the while, Skullsmasherz were given a new town smack dab in the middle of Bretonnian territory that will wreak havoc upon your entire territory and by the time you can field enough garbage peasant units you probably don't have the manpower to protect your borders AND overwhelm them. (Note: This was tested on Very Hard) and now this rework has perpetuated a vicious cycle you'll have to bide your time to get out of, heaven forbid you gotta deal with cancerous Skaven to boot which my friend was in a head-to-head game that's dropping nukes because hurr durr "balance".

No, seriously. Almost all the factions in the game I have tried at least a bit of, and the only one that seems pathetic is Bretonnia which is funny as it would be my favorite from lore alone. 3/10 for trying CA. I'm not even surprised, i'm just disappointed.

Who knows, maybe I'm just the crazy one here and them reworking Bretonnia so many times isn't an indicator and that they are actually very good. lol.
Post edited by CaliburxZero on

Comments

• Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Posts: 1,577Registered Users
    Honestly if they rework the rewards from the vows the system will be great.

Questing vow and Grail vow need srsly some replenishment buffs. Bretonnia has like 0 (ZERO) replenishment bonuses. Try playing it against a friend and go norska on campaign map. You will die from boredom cos you have to w8 after every battle 5-6 turns to replenish.

That +5 AP dmg is useless af.
  • CaliburxZeroCaliburxZero Posts: 22Registered Users
    If the rewards from the vow system were better, that would be a start. However, that still doesn't address the fact that Bretonnia and all factions of it are heavily gimped early game because you can't take a basic knight's vow for one other lord outside of your legendary.
  • Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Posts: 1,577Registered Users

If the rewards from the vow system were better, that would be a start. However, that still doesn't address the fact that Bretonnia and all factions of it are heavily gimped early game because you can't take a basic knight's vow for one other lord outside of your legendary.

that is why the rewards should be better, to give player fair rewards for his struggles. +5 AP dmg is stright insulting. It's like +1 % to Lords WS. Every vow needs to give some unique stuff. Like unit replenishment, cause Bretonnia is lacking it now pretty heavy.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Posts: 2,206Registered Users

Honestly if they rework the rewards from the vows the system will be great.

Questing vow and Grail vow need srsly some replenishment buffs. Bretonnia has like 0 (ZERO) replenishment bonuses. Try playing it against a friend and go norska on campaign map. You will die from boredom cos you have to w8 after every battle 5-6 turns to replenish.

That +5 AP dmg is useless af.

Vow of Empathy should come with replenishment bonuses for peasant units.
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file