Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Need CPU upgrade advice

HurricaneAndrewHurricaneAndrew MemberPosts: 172Registered Users
I currently have an i7-6700K which I OC to 4.5 GHz paired with an RTX 2060 and 16GB RAM

Would an upgrade to an i7-8700K or i7-9700K be worth the money? I mostly play total war games and Apex.

Comments

• Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,784Registered Users
    If you are dead set on having an Intel chipset; than I'd wait until the new processors are announced to see if they would be better than the Skylake increments are.

If you are not dead set on Intel, than from what I have seen, the new Ryzen 3 chipsets by AMD seem like they will be very good.
    Ready for Three Kingdom's TW: I5-6600k, EVGA Geforce GTX 1070SC, 16Gigs RAM, WD Blue PC SSD @ 500GB
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,068Registered Users
    I'd wait a generation.

Intel is making some pretty major changes to their cpu design, might prove a more substantial improvement than the last few generations have. You can get more cores right now, but you can't get a lot more power in the individual cores. You'll get less than a 15% bump to your single thread performance.
  • HurricaneAndrewHurricaneAndrew Member Posts: 172Registered Users
    Oh yes I didnt think when the next gen would be coming. That's what I'll do, I'm no rush at the moment but I am dead set on Intel. Thank you for the replies. That's so smart