Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Illegal Substance Trade

Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,998Registered Users
Kinda... been watching Breaking Bad... :P

Will we ever get to deal in illegal substances and other trades in TW games... especially TW TK. Chinese lore has always been about honour, integrity, filial piety and strength, which is why they have always held a place in my heart and I hold great respect for the Chinese for that.

However... I've always wanted to see illegal activities put in a Total War game. The shadow realm and the light realm always intertwine within all nations and empires... and truth be told, an empire cannot exist without them, though of course empires usually just make them legal, until it suits them otherwise... but I'd like to be able to hold monopolies in such things, that could potentially provide certain "faction" buffs when you have access to (or control) them.

For example:

The Black Market Arms Trade.

While weapons are not exactly... controlled to a great extent in the old days, I think there should be a way for a state (or an entity within the state) to construct and sell weapons to either encourage crime, rebellion, or political power. political parties should have a stockpile of weapons, supplies, money, etc.. in order to protect from or attack their political enemies... as is the case in real life. Perhaps If I were playing Zheng Jiang and didn't have the military power to openly oppose the Han Empire... I could send weapons to political groups, secret/crime societies or even just arm the peasants through a steady supply of weapons and supplies, that could help them rebel against the empire, making it easier for me campaign against them.

The Opium Trade.

As we saw with the British Empire, flooding opium from India into Qing China, to thoroughly weaken the Chinese population, economy and government, so much that no one was properly able to resist invasion and occupation... and those that did resist, were beaten back easily and had little support, due to the rampant corruption and drug zombies.

We could see a similar thing in TW: TK... where Opium and other drugs can be smuggled through to provinces and distributed, exacting the same level of influence and destruction that the British did to Qing China. Perhaps if we managed to distribute said drugs into a province, we could severely weaken the economy and government of that province, undermining their authority and increasing internal corruption, so much that we could bribe potential officials and military officers, or even cause massive revolts though mass starvation, destruction of production and employment or even just extreme poverty.

Slavery... of all types...

Slavery is by far, one of the oldest involuntary professions in the world and throughout mankind's existence... only in the 1800s did it finally get abolished... officially... None the less, I think it would be lovely to have this as a potential monopoly in a Three Kingdoms (or a future TW) game. Slavery has it's uses... labour manpower, domesticate servitude, gladiators/athletics or even just meat bags to feed captured animals, like tigers and wolves :)

Brothels are an establishment where males and females are contracted (or enslaved) to provide certain... activities in return for a payment. In TK Three Kingdoms, we could see this, rather on the governmental side... Taxable business profits, while adding public order bonuses, maybe even a bit of population growth.

Piracy and "Stolen" cargo

This one should definitely be a thing! especially for the state of Wu, that had plenty of infamous pirate rabble, raiding fishing villages and fighting on the coasts and rivers. It would be nice to establish "pirate coves" similar to what we have in TW Warhammer 2, except without all the squid things and zombies. It could also funnel into the other trades... transporting weapons, drugs and even slaves! Perhaps piracy could give a bonus income (or production rate) to the other "black market" trades.

Raiding and stealing cargo from other nations could be a great economic idea... after all, it worked for the Ottoman Empire and their famous Pirate King, Hayreddin Barbarossa. In TW TK, we could see a coastal state, like Dong Wu raid neighbouring states, plundering their trade routes and bringing back their resources and perhaps some faction income or other economic bonuses.

"I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin

Comments

• ExarchExarch Posts: 575Registered Users
    These things are not new to the TW series, but tend to be present in abstracted forms - eg when you make an agent use 'encourage rebellion' type actions this represents stuff like your arms smuggling. Brothels and pirate port buildings have been there for a long time. Is raiding stance in 3k?

Other than that, a lot of what you ask for is micromanagement at a level far beneath normal tw gameplay, and risks creating a huge amount of busywork and detracting from the core gameplay instead of enhancing it.

More economic warfare type options could be interesting as the new diplomacy system develops too.

• Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Exarch said:

These things are not new to the TW series, but tend to be present in abstracted forms - eg when you make an agent use 'encourage rebellion' type actions this represents stuff like your arms smuggling. Brothels and pirate port buildings have been there for a long time. Is raiding stance in 3k?

Other than that, a lot of what you ask for is micromanagement at a level far beneath normal tw gameplay, and risks creating a huge amount of busywork and detracting from the core gameplay instead of enhancing it.

More economic warfare type options could be interesting as the new diplomacy system develops too.

I kinda want to see a little more micromanagement in the Campaign map though tbh... I really love how they made Diplomacy like that and the economic system is more in-depth compared to TW Warhammer. It gives me a great feeling of change, as I see my own decisions literally change the world that I control... and I absolutely love that.

But I certainly agree... more economic warfare options would be a fantastic addition to the game. They have already done excellent work on the diplomacy system and significant improved the economic system.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • bellyboybellyboy Posts: 144Registered Users
    I agree with Exarch to an extent. It is a level of micromanagement that wouldn't be sustainable. However, this could be a good thing. 3K is (supposedly) exploring diplomacy in a far expanded way than previous titles. There could be a future historical or era title that explores crime, smuggling, etc. as the central theme / game mechanic of the game, much like diplomacy is supposed to be for 3K. That hypothetical title would end up focusing less on the empire building and diplomacy and focus more on the syndicate building, etc. Maybe this would drift too far from Total War's central style, but it could be a pretty cool deviation (no pun intended) never the less.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users
    Not really a black market in game for weapons, it's a civil war so weapons are common and wide spread and I haven't heard of any "banned" weapon for the time period either.

Opium Trade is long after the time frame, also not done to invade but to stop Europe running out of gold and silver. First use a quick google search turns up in China is around 400 years after the game period. If they ever cover the 1800s then it would make sense to have it as a trade good but it would be the same as current goods just maybe with some nation events.

Slavery exists but I don't think China imported people for it.

Brothels have appeared in previous games as buildings.

Piracy has been in the game since at least Empire TW, although not sure how it will work in TK without fleets.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,673Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Chat. In and of itself not a discussion which is not permitted. It is, however, outside the content requirements needed to remain in the main 3K forum as it is a more generalized topic for a period of history elsewhere.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin