Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Best Faction For Learning Multiplayer?

RussellsproutsRussellsprouts Posts: 3Registered Users
I am brand new to the total war series and would like to jump into multiplayer battles soon since nothing feels quite as good as beating a human opponent. (Or quite as bad as losing to one!)

But there's a lot to learn. I would like to focus on one faction to learn how to play the game and then move on from there, but I want to make sure I don't pick the faction that requires significantly more micro, pre planning, or especially unique mechanics. Essentially, what's the easiest faction to play? I dont care if the faction is top tier. I wont be able to tap into that potential anyway.

For aesthetic reasons I want to stay away from Dwarves and Lizardmen but everything else I like the way they look.

Comments

• TheGrumpiestTheGrumpiest Posts: 76Registered Users
    Welcome to the fold!

I'd say that the most forgiving factions for new players are Vampire Counts, Vampire Coast, Lizardmen, and Empire- roughly in that order. All of these factions have access to healing, survivable Lords, and either unbreakable or undead units. Vampire Counts are probably the best for learning how to maneuver, and Invocation of Nehek is a great spell, but since they don't have any ranged firepower and are undead, you wouldn't learn much about ranged units or how to manage leadership. Empire has a solid variety of options available to it, and it will teach you a lot about all aspects of the game, but can be a little more micro intensive and has pretty flimsy front line troops.

Another faction that's good for learning is Beastmen, if you have the DLC. Beastmen tend to have very quick games, and losses tend to have obvious causes, so you can get a lot of reps in on them. They are very punishing if you screw up though, and their roster is not particularly versatile. They also have some hard counters, like Vampire Counts.
  • ExarchExarch Posts: 516Registered Users
    I definitely wouldn't recommend empire, they need a lot more finesse and micro. The vampire factions are probably decent choices though.

I learnt using greenskins, as they are infantry focused, have lots of cheap units you can risk and not mind so much if you lose them, and have the waaagh and good buff magic to win the frontline. They do a bit of everything too which is always good. Be ready to have your lord's sniped though! At first I used a cheap foot warboss for this very reason- and often he did die, but opponents ended up overcommitting resources doing it.
  • Cukie251Cukie251 Posts: 607Registered Users
    Depends,

If you are coming from other total wars I would definitely recommend Empire. Everything should feel at least relatively familiar. HE/DE are also not too difficult to play at a baseline level, and you can try a bunch of relatively competitive strategies with them. The nice thing about combined arms factions is that they teach you all aspects of the game, which is important if you expect to branch out into other factions.
  • ReymReym Posts: 382Registered Users
    edited April 26
    I wouldn't recommand Vampire races to begin in multiplayer as they turn around their specificities (undead trait, extreme healing, summons and the big reliance on a few "VIPs" to win the game especially for counts) a lot and once you will transition to a living one you may get a bit lost. On a side note Vampire counts are great to work on your cav/monster micro as your infantry is their to (almost) be thrown away without much micro needed.

Empire or High elves while offering a very diverse roster require a bit of experience in multiplayer to truly learn them.

I think greenskin is great for a beginner as they offer a very diverse roster too while having a very easy time in the infantry fight which offer a good comfort for any beginner against most players. Then it's all about learning how to use all of those assets (foot skirmishers, mounted skirmishers, slow AND fast cav) aswell as their selection of buffs and debuffs from their magic (and some damage spells) and selecting playing your abilities/spells right is something shared by any races of the game.

So yeah my choice would be greenskin a large diversity offering to learn the game as well as spells and some welcome comfort in some area like the infantry fight which is a great + for a beginner.
    Post edited by Reym on
  • reizennnreizennn Posts: 19Registered Users
    I definitely support the idea of Greenskins. They have a wide roster with lots of possibilities, are 'easy to learn, hard to master'.
    Another option are Dark Elves, despite I personally don't like them, they have pretty powerful and easy to play rush setups and are also versatile enough to learn the game from most angles.
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Posts: 987Registered Users
    I really strongly recommend against empire or high elves. Theyre good for noobs in campaign because of how similar they are to classic TW factions, but in MP they're both pretty high skill floor+high skill ceiling factions. Lots of potential but they require players to really know their units, have a coherent plan and know how to handle things like being swarmed or having their line cracking under LD pressure etc.

I think GS aren't bad, thoguh the poor leadership can be painful. Vampire Coast and Counts are both pretty noob friendly imo, and dinosaurs or dark elves aren't bad either.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Posts: 1,619Registered Users
    So I loosely suggest races that are flexible are best until you figure out your style, then you can switch over to something more suited to your taste.

High and Dark Elves and Empire, and to a lesser extent, the Vampire Coast sport pretty diverse and flexible rosters that are good to experiment multiple build types with.

Vampire Counts and Dwarfs probably fill in the opposite end of the spectrum where they really only do a couple things well, and you’ll either enjoy their style...or you won’t. Neither will help you learn OTHER factions as a springboard very well.

However^^ ALL of this is secondary to what race do you like/enjoy/WANT to learn. With whatever you pick, there WILL be a steep learning curve if you’re brand new to all of this. There is no ‘easy noob’ race despite various people’s biases. As a result, whatever you pick....you’re going to get your ass kicked.... A LOT. The one thing that will keep you plugging along and trying and learning is ENJOYING the race.

So moreso than any of the races’ characteristics or ‘noob friendliness’....find something you LIKE. Then commit to learning that one.
  • RussellsproutsRussellsprouts Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks for all the replies! I've narrowed it down to Green Skins and Dark Elves now. I'll run through some custom battles against the AI and commit to one for a couple weeks.
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 569Registered Users
    edited April 25
    Empire and High Elves are both high skill factions and a bad choice for your first factions. Don't know how people are suggesting these with a straight face, combined arms factions are much harder to learn and use well than factions that lean on a certain playstyle. May as well recommend you start with Wood Elves.

When you're leaning to play you don't want roster diversity & complexity you want ease of use. You also need to build your micro skills, so you will want the option of having strong tanky units as well as lots of cheap units.

Use one of the three factions below:

Greenskins. Strong infantry, cheap units, okay range, good magic. They also have good anti kite options (forest goblin spider rider archers, goblin wolf riders) if you end up getting kited.

Chaos. Strong infantry, strong cavalry options, strong lords.

Vampire Counts. They have no range and won't rout so will make it easier to learn how to actually play the game, shut down range (which is basically priority 1 when it comes to tactics in this game), match your AP units to armoured enemy units, and most importantly will force you to advance which a lot of new players struggle with when coming from campaign because they are used to AI charging at them suicidally.

Also make sure you:

1. Turn off skirmish mode for all missile infantry.
    2. Turn on Guard mode for all missile infantry.

• glosskilosglosskilos Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I’d recommend dark elves, greenskins, chaos, or vampire counts
  • Cukie251Cukie251 Posts: 607Registered Users
    OrkLads said:

Empire and High Elves are both high skill factions and a bad choice for your first factions. Don't know how people are suggesting these with a straight face, combined arms factions are much harder to learn and use well than factions that lean on a certain playstyle. May as well recommend you start with Wood Elves.

I'm not sure I agree with this at all. You need to be highly technical to play the empire at a particularly skilled level sure. But when you're just starting out? Assuming your opponents are not in the uppermost echelon of players you can get by with a balanced empire build without being a top-end player. Same thing applies to HE imo, though they admittedly have a few more quirks.

The issue I have with people recommending things like GS and Chaos is that they don't teach you the whole game. You tend to have infantry as a cruch and IMO it oftentimes encourages a very infantry rushy style of play.

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Posts: 1,619Registered Users
    Cukie251 said:

OrkLads said:

I'm not sure I agree with this at all. You need to be highly technical to play the empire at a particularly skilled level sure. But when you're just starting out? Assuming your opponents are not in the uppermost echelon of players you can get by with a balanced empire build without being a top-end player. Same thing applies to HE imo, though they admittedly have a few more quirks.

The issue I have with people recommending things like GS and Chaos is that they don't teach you the whole game. You tend to have infantry as a cruch and IMO it oftentimes encourages a very infantry rushy style of play.

SO MUCH THIS! High tier play and beginner play are not the same at all.

When you’re learning and trying to figure out what you like, it’s best to do jack of all trades factions. Not sure if you prefer monster rushing or defensive geometry yet? The idea of heavy cavalry look cool to you but in a past game you preferred the kitey ranged race? It’s way better to learn a faction that can do a little bit of each of those things.

If you start with Dwarfs, or Vampires, or Chaos basically all you learn is their one schtick. And if you wind up not liking their schtick you can mistake not liking the style with not liking the game.

Way better to try out a race that offers multiple styles imo.

Sure, mastering a multifaceted faction can take some time. But that’s true with any race or style. And just starting out, not mastering, but just learning the basics, no race is so uber complex a new player can’t figure it out the basics. It’s not quantum mechanics here.
    I disagree strongly with the idea that Empire or HE are good starter factions.

Starting with GS, I was able to use armies that had a bit of everything, with a solid infantry core plus a couple of chaff units, expendable light cav, artillery and some archers. Cheap units are forgiving on miss micro, and having good infantry means they perform decently on semi fire and forget, letting you manage the rest of you units. It also helps you control the pace of the battle if your frontline stands up.

Empire has most of its power in ranged and cav, which needs better micro to use and protect, and they are vulnerable to be rolled over by rush factions/builds which are really hard to face when you're inexperienced.

HE have expensive units, so micro mistakes are more costly, and there is less room to experiment with units due to high costs. Allarielle is a bit of a healing crutch I suppose, so they have that for them!

Dark elves have cheap chaff infantry and disruptors, as well as all the tools, so I think they would be a better 'jack of all trades' starter than the two above. Tomb kings can do pretty well rounded builds too, the undead trait means your infantry hold enough to give you time and bowshabti can be used to force your opponent to react.
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Posts: 269Registered Users
    With High elves, I find lorthern guard have very low micro-intensity because with their defense against large and anti large bonus, they can protect themselves against cav and monsters and if left alone can do some decent work.

Technically, spears + archers are better, but require much more micro
    Cukie251 said:

OrkLads said:

Not teaching you the whole game is the point of having a beginner friendly faction. He will learn the game over time, but it is more helpful and much less frustrating to learn different aspects one at a time (or a few at a time) not all at once. Infantry rush is how you should be learning to play the game, you can move up to harder styles of play from there. Like I said, you may as well recommend he plays Wood Elves and full kite builds.

The difficulty of micro in this game from easiest to hardest is:

Infantry > SEM > Artillery > Missile Infantry > Cavalry > Skirmish Cav.

Now let's take Empire, they have:

- Average Infantry
    - Average SEM
    - Great Cavalry (including skirmish cav)
    - Great Range
    - Great Artillery

So just looking at this we can see that to win fights as Empire the player will need to effectively utilise the 3 hardest types of units to micro, while only having limited ability to protect them due to average infantry not holding for long.

Now let's take High Elves, they have very solid units in general but are very pricey. This means the margin for error is much lower, because if you get bad engagements with a few units you have basically lost. With High Elves, Swordmasters MUST spend the battle fighting infantry, Sisters of Avelorn MUST spend the battle shooting at Armoured or Phy resist targets, Dragon Princes MUST be charging the right targets and cycling effectively.

Now look at Greenskins:

- Black Orcs are a heavily armoured, high damage, high mass, swiss army knife unit. Can do very well fighting a myriad of different targets especially with the Waagh.
    - Greenskins also have a lot of different chaff infantry from the purest types (goblins, Orcs Boys), to more tricksy fun types with vanguard/stalk (night goblins), some with active abilities to gently increase how much micro you need to use (NG Fanatics, Nasty Skulkers). All this allows new players to experiment with different tactics like vanguard deployment, stalking units, creating synergies CHEAPLY. They can lose a few goblins here and there without the whole battle going sideways.
    - Greenskins have a lot of cheap cavalry (although some of it is redundant) which means you can use it and even if your cycle charging isn't 100% on point you can afford to lose a few boar boys or squig hoppers without a complete meltdown. Same with skirmish cav.
    - Limited choices of magic. This is an advantage here because it means you are not trying to decide which of the 7 lores of magic you should choose as Empire. You have 3 options. Much less information overload.
    - Greenskins also have 3 SEM that you can try out that cover a good spread (now). Wyzern for flying, Giant for slow plodding damage dealer, Spider for armoured antilarge that is reasonably quick.
    - Couple of artillery to try out to see how they do.

Long story short, a strong but affordable infantry core (EASY MICRO) with a very large and diverse roster of cheap support troops (TRICKIER MICRO BUT THEY'RE CHEAP) make Greenskins an ideal beginner faction. Can't be bothered typing out the same for Chaos and Vampire Counts, but I'm sure you get the picture (Strong Infantry/Undead trait are more forgiving of mistakes and allow new players to experiment with different aspects of the game without being overwhelmed).

With High elves, I find lorthern guard have very low micro-intensity because with their defense against large and anti large bonus, they can protect themselves against cav and monsters and if left alone can do some decent work.

Technically, spears + archers are better, but require much more micro

I think there are a few beginner friendly HE set ups like a wide LSG archer build, but they are harder to experiment with, and suffer more from poor build choices, than some of the factions listed above.
  • Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Posts: 1,487Registered Users
    take Bretonnia, play Palastinalied in the backround, profit.
  • GriffithxiGriffithxi Posts: 349Registered Users

I am brand new to the total war series and would like to jump into multiplayer battles soon since nothing feels quite as good as beating a human opponent. (Or quite as bad as losing to one!)

But there's a lot to learn. I would like to focus on one faction to learn how to play the game and then move on from there, but I want to make sure I don't pick the faction that requires significantly more micro, pre planning, or especially unique mechanics. Essentially, what's the easiest faction to play? I dont care if the faction is top tier. I wont be able to tap into that potential anyway.

For aesthetic reasons I want to stay away from Dwarves and Lizardmen but everything else I like the way they look.

I would say empire because they give you a little bit of everything. For example if you learn to play with a faction like vampires you may not learn how to use ranged and you wont learn about regrouping your forces after a route or tactics to protect your routing units from being chased off by something weak and fast.

You may not learn about effectively using your artillery and how its usually better to still move your line up while leaving a small amount behind to defend when using artillery because you extend the time they can fire and give them a better firing arc for longer while the enemy is dealing with your front line where as if you wait until the enemy is right in front of your artillery to engage your front line your artillery wont be able to fire on most of the enemy during the time your front line is fighting due to them being too close.
  • Hamster404Hamster404 Posts: 31Registered Users
    current Skaven are a good faction for new players. You just need to click your weapon teams on the right targets and you can easily have 90% winrate with them.
  • GriffithxiGriffithxi Posts: 349Registered Users
    Current skaven are a very bad faction for new players to learn with. They are one of the harder factions in the game to master and their playstyle doesn't really transfer well to the majority of the factions.
    edited May 1

Current skaven are a very bad faction for new players to learn with. They are one of the harder factions in the game to master and their playstyle doesn't really transfer well to the majority of the factions.

Hamster404 is Green0, so probably better to just not feed the trolls.

why do you think that's the case? I personally feel the opposite way totally, they have a playstyle very similar to campaign, plenty of chaff to cover mistakes and require very little micro besides shotting with ranged teams on appropriate targets.
    Skaven are gonna get nerfed and they won’t be super easy after that most likely.

If you want an easy faction that has a little of everything I’d recommend dark elves.
    Dark Elves are most definitely not a beginner-friendly faction.
    edited May 1

Lol. Best set of lord choices in the game. Strong, cost effective infantry. Strong cost effective cavalry. Powerful monsters. Cheap ap ranged. Cheap counter artillery. Oh, and a powerful buff that usually activates around the time the enemy line is starting to fatigue. What’s not easy about this faction?
    edited May 2

Lol. Best set of lord choices in the game. Strong, cost effective infantry. Strong cost effective cavalry. Powerful monsters. Cheap ap ranged. Cheap counter artillery. Oh, and a powerful buff that usually activates around the time the enemy line is starting to fatigue. What’s not easy about this faction?
    Sorry other than on lord choices, which I would classify as very strong but not best especially when you compare to say High Elves or Vampire Counts, and which can be gimmicky to use, I can't say I agree. I would generally say for example the "strong infantry" part only works vs noobs, against which a Greatswords rush would probably work too so it isn't that surprising, it's more that new players can't deal with infantry rush and not that Dark Elves have a strong infantry rush (in fact I'd say they are probably around average infantry-wise). Ranged to give you another example yes is cheap but also fairly low range which at times can hurt you. This is just to give 2 examples. Anyway, you should try playing Dark Elves and see how easy it is to win with them.
  • EkonaiiEkonaii Posts: 24Registered Users
    I wouldn't say that Dark Elves are an easy faction, but they are definitely a good faction to learn due to their versatility, same with Empire.

The easiest factions starting out imo are all 3 undead factions, Greenskins, Chaos and Lizardmen.

All 3 undead are pretty forgiving, especially the vampires due to how strong their healing is.

Chaos has great infantry and monsters.

Lizardmen have strong infantry, monsters, and cavalry, and with the new DLC, their ranged and air force is strong as well now.

Greenskins is probably the faction I would recommend the most. Greenskins have very strong infantry which can make them easy to use, but are also a versatile faction so newer players are able to learn how to play using an easier to pick-up faction as well as being able to learn many different aspects of the game while playing the same faction. I would say that this is true for Lizardmen and Tomb Kings as well.

Norsca can be a pretty easy faction for beginners as well imo with how strong mammoths and fimir are as well as having cost efficient infantry and pretty good cavalry with skin wolves.

Sorry other than on lord choices, which I would classify as very strong but not best especially when you compare to say High Elves or Vampire Counts, and which can be gimmicky to use, I can't say I agree. I would generally say for example the "strong infantry" part only works vs noobs, against which a Greatswords rush would probably work too so it isn't that surprising, it's more that new players can't deal with infantry rush and not that Dark Elves have a strong infantry rush (in fact I'd say they are probably around average infantry-wise). Ranged to give you another example yes is cheap but also fairly low range which at times can hurt you. This is just to give 2 examples. Anyway, you should try playing Dark Elves and see how easy it is to win with them.
    I have played them. Even though I main LM I actually find DE easier to play. That being said, they never appealed to me as a faction, and I enjoy them more as an adversary. I like playing them as LM because they are challenging but not unbeatable, of course this patch made it easier for LM but DE are still strong here.

And the infantry was only one thing I mentioned. Nobody has access to such cheap ap missiles, that also have a firing arc. The shorter range can be offset by access to silver shields or stalk.

CoK are amongst the most cost effective cav in the game, especially with the way they synergize with slaaneshs harvesters, dark magic, and murderous prowess.
    edited May 2
    Cold One Knights are very poor for example vs Wood Elves. So you know, as much as people love AP/anti large, it doesn't come only with advantages.

Cheap AP missiles can be compromised. The Dark Elves frontline is generally low on HP and easy to break, particularly as Lizardmen which means you need to go for the more expensive Dark Rider crossbows.
    Post edited by Hamster404 on
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Posts: 2,596Registered Users
    DE would be my recommendation. Solid, easy to play for most part. No real big disadvantage that you can't easily build around. You can make a solid core army with darkshards that is simple and decent vs everything, and then experiment from there.

Otherwise some rush race, but then you can't grow using the same faction as much...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file