Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Balancing my first unit mod - What to avoid?

dakilla_warhammerdakilla_warhammer Posts: 1Registered Users
Hello,

I just created my first unit mod and I would like to hear your opinion about the quality and have a little help with balancing them.

They are an archer and magical cav for Bretonnia:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1726490033

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1726905560

I don't want to add straight up OP units, just some that will make Bretonnia's roster bit more varied, fun and interesting.

Comments

• CA_DuckCA_Duck Posts: 1,400Registered Users, CA Staff
    edited May 1
    Nice looking units and they don't look too far from balanced. Generally the easiest way to start balancing a unit is to make use of an existing unit with a similar role, which works as your benchmark, and then start diverging from it. That way you can quite easily run comparitive tests and judge how far you are from your intended balance.

Also if you want to maintain flavour for Bretonnia, just ensure that anything that is a peasant is reasonably cheap and has less than 70 morale. For cavalry you can generally go crazy, provided that you're not offering a unit that is significantly stronger than Grail Knights or Guardians.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited May 3
    Your units seem a bit strong. They might work out due to upkeep but also might not.

The Lost Sons are strong because they have 90 leadership and don't crumble at low leadership. This makes them exceedingly difficult to kill with anything but magical damage and still really good against magic damage too.

As such they're strong against basically everyone and weak against basically nothing. On top of that they've no penalty in forests (ethereal) and regenerate in forests? The loose formation actually makes them stronger in this instance (lets more units get in on the attack)

Herrimaults are definitely strong and should not be AP unless they're low trajectory only. The chivalry cost might make up for it though.

The units look awesome though
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Posts: 1,069Registered Users
    Nice units! They would be great additions as regiments of renown, they might be a tad strong as regular units.
  • felicialeefelicialee Posts: 6Registered Users
    So good. Although not absolutely perfect, it is already very good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file