Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WhiteWalkers Warhammer

GorzealionGorzealion Registered Users Posts: 4
I was watching Game of Thrones older season and Player Civ 5 GoT Mod in the same time frame when I realized

The NightKing is like a Vampire, Undead armies and all. Then I thought of the custom faction skins like Kislev bears and the Viking dwarves and thought would it be hard to make a Modded Vampire Count faction that starts in Norsca with Vampire Skins that are texture like White Walkers, Shirtless or Norsca armor, Undead Skeletons with Norsca armor and overall similar design with a few different buffs and habitable regions being colder environments.

I understand the modding community is crippled by Copyrights and business practices, but nothing about the NightKings army and design makes them unable to be made nearly identical using in game assets which is fully allowed for the engine.

Comments

• Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,790
    You could make them, buuut just about everything in Warhammer would slap them around like pinatas, and the mod would probably be insta ko'd because y'know a GoT mod in a licensed WHFB game aint gone do so well.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    It's not like frost-aligned undead is such an original idea. Warcraft III did them before Martin. GoT world building is pretty mediocre, all in all.
  • doclumbago#6250doclumbago#6250 Registered Users Posts: 2,545
    Agree with above.
    If you don´t name them specifically "GRR Martin´s Wights from GoT" you´re save

The combination of Death & Cold is an awesome theme
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,483
    Lord Soth says "recognize the OG".
  • BaronRodney#9956BaronRodney#9956 Registered Users Posts: 1,307
    Xenos7 said:

It's not like frost-aligned undead is such an original idea. Warcraft III did them before Martin. GoT world building is pretty mediocre, all in all.

A song of fire and ice predates Warcraft 3 though?
  • LordCommander#3741LordCommander#3741 Registered Users Posts: 3,229
    Xenos7 said:

Er… GoT predates Warcraft 3 by quite a few years.
    It's a beta.
  • AkiAmazAkiAmaz Registered Users Posts: 511
    Given the length of time he's taken writing the books it probably predates a number of people on this forum...
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,790
    AkiAmaz said:

Given the length of time he's taken writing the books it probably predates a number of people on this forum...

I remember reading them back when I was a little beast. It's a reminder never to read an unfinished book series.

Though I can't remember if the books ever
    explicitly mentioned white walkers let alone when. Cold undead isn't exactly the most unique concept anyway, not that it's bad. Still, GW would not take kindly to it.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
    AkiAmaz said:

Yeah and I honestly doubt he'll ever finish the bloody thing. HBO is doing it for him -_-
  • AkiAmazAkiAmaz Registered Users Posts: 511

AkiAmaz said:

I remember reading them back when I was a little beast. It's a reminder never to read an unfinished book series.

explicitly mentioned white walkers let alone when. Cold undead isn't exactly the most unique concept anyway, not that it's bad. Still, GW would not take kindly to it.
    It has certainly impacted my book reading strategy.
  • kevManiac#4754kevManiac#4754 Registered Users Posts: 1,049

AkiAmaz said:

Yeah, it did influence my reading style as well. Wouldn't want to read an unfinished series. On the other hand, there is a probability that Martin won't finish the series, given his age and health. And then I've never read the series...

And in the books, the Others (as they are called in the books) are mentioned, but I believe in such a way that we have no idea what or who controls them. This Night King stuff is made up by the tv series (iirc).
    Races I'd like to see, in order of preference: Chaos Dwarfs, Southern Realm/ DoW, Araby, Nippon, Hobgoblin Kharnate, Kuresh, Ind.
  • DerpyRoxasDerpyRoxas Registered Users Posts: 3,348
    Why choose zombie chaffs if you have already CHAOS?

B)
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,315
    Xenos7 said:

Idk Martin tries to make his world quite realistic. Like the opposite of warhammer, its quite low fantasy.

Its a different kind of fantasy than warhammer, but his worldbuilding isn't bad. His characters are just more important.
  • Sir_Godspeed#8395Sir_Godspeed#8395 Registered Users Posts: 3,646
    I wouldn't let some copyright mumbo jumbo stop you - just don't use "Game of Thrones" anywhere in the title of the mod, and don't reference Westeros.

Just make a cool mod with Frost Vampires and Frost Wights, Barbarian Zombies, Undead Giants and badda-bing badda-bom.
    edited May 2019

Xenos7 said:

Not the white walkers, I think. They were introduced in later books, or probably even in the series. At first there were only the Others, they didn't appear as actual creatures, just a legend.
    Lord Soth was 1985. Just sayin'. Enjoy your ice wall.
    Itharus said:

The Witch king of Angmar was 1954, so eh.
  • kevManiac#4754kevManiac#4754 Registered Users Posts: 1,049
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Not the white walkers, I think. They were introduced in later books, or probably even in the series. At first there were only the Others, they didn't appear as actual creatures, just a legend.
    I believe the first chapter of the first book was about a character getting killed by an undead creature with blue eyes.
    But the Night King and tbe frost-theme was later I believe...
    Races I'd like to see, in order of preference: Chaos Dwarfs, Southern Realm/ DoW, Araby, Nippon, Hobgoblin Kharnate, Kuresh, Ind.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,455

Agree with above.
    If you don´t name them specifically "GRR Martin´s Wights from GoT" you´re save

The combination of Death & Cold is an awesome theme

The trope for that is called 'evil is deathly cold', and corpses tend to be cold by default after all.
    Ingr8 said:

Xenos7 said:

Love this comment... so a book series that started and was published in 1996 ripped off a game released in 2002?!? Really?!?

From our old friends at wikipedia:
    Martin introduces the Others in the prologue of A Game of Thrones (1996), describing them as "Tall ... and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk" with eyes "deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice". Accompanied by intense cold, they wear armor that "seemed to change color as it moved", and wield thin crystal swords capable of shattering steel. The Others move silently, and they speak their own language; Martin writes that their voices are "like the cracking of ice on a winter lake".[4] In A Storm of Swords (2000), they are shown to be vulnerable to weapons made of dragonglass (obsidian),[5] as Samwell Tarly kills one this way
    How dare he rip this off a subsequent game! I call plagiarism!

Yep, I stand corrected them. I didn't remember them being described before A Dance with Dragons. Still, their current white walkers incarnation is very different from the original Others idea, which was more Sidhe than Undead. The current one is very warcraft-y, completed with a lich king.
  • LordCommander#3741LordCommander#3741 Registered Users Posts: 3,229
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Three books had been released by the time of Warcraft 3 so that seems altogether unlikely. In book three Samwell Tarly kills a white walker, so...
    It's a beta.
  • Helhound#7332Helhound#7332 Registered Users Posts: 5,374
    The connection to Winter and Death is not unique to any particular modern media. Even Lord of The Rings. But in GoTs particular case there is one association several throusand years older that may as well be considered the same story.

Fimbulwinter heralded the coming of Ragnarok. Fimbulwinter is an apocalyptic coming of endless night and frost. Where frost giants roam and Loki breaks free his chains to seek revenge. Step one of Ragnarok. Sound familiar? Norse mythology had the whole winter is coming thing down several thousand years ago. Niflheim, the world of fog, cold, darkness, and ice, became the domain of Hel, who ruled the dead who did not die a heroic death. Niflheims opposite, and the other elemental foundation of creation, was Mulspelheim, a realm of endless fire. Song of Fire and Ice? The story so heavily borrows from Norse Mythology it's borderline theft.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,455

Why choose zombie chaffs if you have already CHAOS?

B)

You also already have the Vampires and Nagash, but the main threat to the Warhammer's World is Chaos, even most of the Undead Forces find themselves fighting against Chaos in the End Times.

Itharus said:

Did he do the cold thing? I don't recall.
    Itharus said:

Itharus said:

Did he do the cold thing? I don't recall.
    Sort of.... He brought down the Fell Winter over Arthedain, which killed off much of the population. Then came down with an army of Hill-men, orcs, trolls, etc. He then made wraiths possess the dead Arnorian kings in the Barrow Mounds, and turned them into an undead army of wights.

It's not right on the money, but most of the factors are there.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001

Xenos7 said:

Idk Martin tries to make his world quite realistic. Like the opposite of warhammer, its quite low fantasy.

Its a different kind of fantasy than warhammer, but his worldbuilding isn't bad. His characters are just more important.
    There's an in-universe reason for the low-key fantasy elements, the death of all dragons has caused all the magical stuff to ebb. Dany birthing hers is slowly bringing the magic as well and that's also commented on by the characters in the story.
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 3,059
    Itharus said:

One of the best Dragonlance (and D&D in general) villains.
This discussion has been closed.