Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please add a give region feature.

LostbladderLostbladder Posts: 2Registered Users
I am very disappointed at the lack of this feature in Rome II. Add it as $10 DLC for gods sake and I’ll buy it. You’ve reworked the entire political system free of charge to the consumer, so don’t go telling me you’ve given up on the game as a reason not to add it.

Let me start by stating the observation that the game already appears to be supporting of such a feature to some extent given diplomats sent to other lands can sometimes return with news that land has been gifted to you.

The entire client state and military alliance feature could be made marginally better with the ability to trade states. My ally or satrapy AI wants a full province and I want a full province, so let’s bloody trade! I hate going to war and having to entirely destroy my ally or client states for irrational minor border disputes. Sometimes, my client state decides to go to war and gets a province taken from them. My options to return this land to them are as follows; wait for them to do it themselves and... well, that’s pretty much it. I can’t go down and do it for them because I only have the option to take it myself.

Hoi4 has this great feature at the end of a war called a piece conference. Total War does not have this feature and to the best of my knowledge never has. Trading land under the circumstances of peace in both single player and perhaps more importantly multiplayer has always been a decent solution for the same problems solved by a piece conference. Rome II doesn’t allow this. An entire aspect of the game has been neglected.

Your options are either (pun intended) total war or nothing in terms of diplomacy regarding territory. Given the games precursor title, this wouldn’t be out of the ordinary, that is unless the feature had not already existed for the majority of games before and after Rome II, including Rome I.

I get that the AI isn’t perfect and may be willing to exchange all of their land for gold. I just don’t care. This seems like something that can be remedied fairly easily. The less land a nation has, the more money they want for land. If the point comes where you can afford a few hundred thousand for one of the two cities the AI owns, so freaking be it. With that much money laying around, odds are you could have done it much cheaper through aggression. If that isn’t possible, then hell, just make it so you can give land away and are unable to buy it. Problem solved.

The historical accuracy of such a feature has been brought up without fail on all related posts, but I think it’s safe to say that yes it is historically accurate. The transfer of land has always been something that occurred through intimidation, trade, war, and diplomacy. Julius Caesar giving Cleopatra ruled Egypt some land back to the east during the revolution is a prime example of such a situation and a period accurate one at that.

Is providing a region trading option perfect for gameplay? No, I’m sure there are downsides that escape me. That being said, seeing how it worked in previous titles and all the problems it would be a solution for in this title, I believe it to be a necessary addition.

I wanted to post this in suggestions or something of the likes, but couldn't find such a place in my all of 10 minutes of stumbling around google searches. This was the closest I could find. Hopefully it reaches its intended eyes. Thank you for your time.
Tagged:

Comments

• CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    I have been asking for this feature since I started playing rome2 .

It would help strengthen allies and client states. Make em more viable and all that
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
  • LambChopsLambChops Junior Member Posts: 29Registered Users
    Agreed, I miss this feature.
  • Avarice1987Avarice1987 Posts: 30Registered Users
    Yeah, I miss that, too. One could, for example, use buffer states. But somehow the feature is in there, isn't it?
  • armored_valiantarmored_valiant Member Posts: 117Registered Users
    Warhammer 2 has it modded in but not Rome 2 yet. ?
  • LostbladderLostbladder Posts: 2Registered Users

Warhammer 2 has it modded in but not Rome 2 yet. ?

It’s not unfortunately. Many have asked for a mod, but nothing was made.
    Wait and see, the updates for Roime 2 and Attila clearly show that they are kept up-to-date with the Modlauncher. Not only compatibility can be the reason. Maybe there will be something else.
  • Karoten2Karoten2 Posts: 167Registered Users
    Opinion from "opposite camp"

Few times I was in situation, that I wanted to give some regions to allies or client states, but in general - i do not really miss it, and there many more important things to improve/fix as victory conditions, naval mechanics, auto resolve battle system ...

from other view, to remove region trading prevents AI from make ridiculous decisions and player from cheating. Only way to get region is to conquer it

I never played Hoi4, but I played europa universalis 2, not sure if it is the same mechanics, but "peace conference" would be pointless feature for total war game
    Cheating!!????
    Please explain
    sober!
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyPosts: 1,739Registered Users
    Cheating because the AI sold wealthy regions for little money, sometimes only 500/1000 Gold, especially in Rome Total War.
    Hmmmmmm, ok but..... I still want to gift allies and client states with regions to make them viable
    sober!
    I hope that the Regions trade feature from Three Kingdoms will be added in Rome 2 and Attila!
  • BebopanonymousBebopanonymous Posts: 27Registered Users
    mods, nuff said
    Is there a mod for that?
    sober!
    You know, I actually can't find one. It must be harder to mod than it seems because it's such a simple concept. I find it hard to believe it hasn't been done yet.

I can offer the next best thing though, I recommend this mod anyways and if you wan't to gift cities to allies you can basically support them in the war by just sacking enemy cities to reduce its defenses which encourage your ally to attack. You can force your ally into wars by using the diplomacy window.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186925601&searchtext=city

I think the main reason the devs didn't add city gifting or trading was because of balancing issues, in Rome 1 you could exploit it by purchasing important cities for a pretty cheep price. It also doesn't make sense from a realism standpoint for a faction to give up an entire city without some fight and displace all of its residents, but it also did happen in reality too so idk.

I would also like to see a city trading mod though simply so I can stage certain events in the grand campaign, such as bringing back some major factions that got utterly destroyed by small insignificant factions which had no right to win other than the AI is pretty dumb sometimes.
    You can also use this mod to force diplomatic situations, but be careful this mod is straight up cheating since you can get whatever you want at the cost of a minimum gift. I only use it to set things right that just should not have ever happened. Also Diplomatic penalties still apply if you break agreements which are pretty impossible to repair once damaged, so again be careful.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1370561183&searchtext=diplomacy
    Thanx guys,

Normally I sack regions near said ally and leave immediately in the hopes that ally picks it up after it rebels.
    Sometimes it works, most times not
    sober!
  • Karoten2Karoten2 Posts: 167Registered Users
    @Cogre

As marcus said, the AI can do absurd decisions, and for example in Napoleon I gave region between me and enemy to a neutral faction which I had military access with to create "safe block" and there are more opportunities

General Im not against it, but think, there are much more important things to improve

BTW I think city sack and liberation option should be available for all factions
    True there are other issues, I was sure that this would be fairly easy to "fix"
    sober!
    It kinda feels like it should be fairly easy to make. The feature doesn't have to be available for the AI until some work around the balancing issues can be found. I think were both just looking to give regions away to the AI, not take them from the AI.

I am not very experienced with coding yet but I imagine you could code it in a similar if not same way as when a city is taken by force, but add the trigger as a diplomatic option instead of battling it out on a map to trigger the response.
    @Karoten2
    I think this is a better version of the previous mod I mentioned that has the features you were talking about.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186922227&searchtext=dresden
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 14Registered Users
    I'd be happy to have this as just a feature for the player. Many times I've been forced to capture a town or city that I didn't want. Would be nice to be able to gift it to an ally and let them deal with it. I hate it when I've established a nice, defensible border only to have some faction on my border declare war, conquer them, and now have to stick an army that to defend it.