Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Potential Legendary Lords for upcoming WH2 DLCs: Dark Elves Rakarth overview

BiesBies Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 1,914
Beastlord of Karond Kar

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

Comments

• Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Registered Users Posts: 1,702
    If the special rules work as it says... :D
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 1,732

I doubt CA would implement something like that, they haven't added any other faction-changing abilities, like the skaven spell that turns a unit into clanrats. There are many examples of cool and crazy mechanics from TT that have not been included, propably because of problems with programmin or general balance.

It could be possible that Rakarth could capture enemy monsters post-battle though, the way you sometimes capture enemy warmachines post-battle. That would be a really cool mechanic, I imagine a dark elf army with arachnaroks and Carnosaurs.
  • baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,202
    Cool Helm? Check
    Fix the Vortex narrative? Check
    Purple? Check
    Glorious mount that does not require huge effort? Check

Man, I bet with you that this is the FLC Lord of the next DLC
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 1,980
    Hearing him mentioned always makes me think of Urien Rakarth instead.
  • Otters007Otters007 Registered Users Posts: 776
    He sounds pretty badass, I'd definitely be keen for him to be added to the roster!
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,220
    The Prince and the Beastlord.

I wouldn't mind it.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• FredenFreden Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 331
    Nope, I think the Lizardmen, Skaven, High Elves & Dark Elves are set now for some time.

I belive the Empire rework will be massive, and the DLC LL Pack that comes with that patch will bring a 4th Empire LL together with more iconic RoR for the Empire, like the Carroburg Greatswords & Altdorf Noble Sons Abroad.

Even if you do not own WH1 I do not see this as a problem, you would simply get access to the new LL but not the WH1 LL factions.

And if you confedereate with one of them you would get a similair situation like if you confederate Boris Todbringer now but do not own the Beastmen DLC (No Quest items or Battles and no big mounts).

And that LL will probably start in Sudenburg in the Vortex Campaign.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 5,950
    That face mask is enough to tell you he'll make it in over any other DE character without a mask of their own.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 721
    edited May 2019
    I prefer Malus for lord pack. We have five books about him. Also Malus is last legendary lord from 8th edition and very popular character. Why CA should add another Ghorst for lord pack? Rakarth is better for FLC.
    Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne!
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
    Labria said:

I prefer Malus for lord pack. We have five books about him. Also Malus is last legendary lord from 8th edition and very popular character. Why CA should add another Ghorst for lord? Rakarth is better for FLC.

The Prince and the Tyrant. I don't mind it.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 7,467
    edited May 2019
    I’m half rooting for Malus but Rakarth wouldn’t be half bad. It’d certainly be a bit of a departure from the army buffs of the others to have him focus on beasts.

That said a Malus with mechanical focus on him trying to control his possession and perhaps be more of a Horde-lite free roaming character wouldn’t be half bad.

But CA can make any character interesting enough for me. It’s all in the implementation and while there are some characters in game that I’m not keen on playing I can still recognize parts of them that I find cool.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • PaulHPaulH Registered Users Posts: 1,364
    I do want Malus Darkblade, I really do. But the truth is that Beastlord Rakarth is far more appropriate as the next Dark Elf DLC lord. He fills the missing niche of a monster-themed LL, which would go nicely with the Bloodwrack Medusae that will probably get added in the DE dlc.
  • ScreamimgEnvyScreamimgEnvy Registered Users Posts: 353
    PaulH said:

I do want Malus Darkblade, I really do. But the truth is that Beastlord Rakarth is far more appropriate as the next Dark Elf DLC lord. He fills the missing niche of a monster-themed LL, which would go nicely with the Bloodwrack Medusae that will probably get added in the DE dlc.

I'll copy/paste what I have said in another thread:

Malus has more than something to do with sorcery and magic since his first volume, when he gained the ancient Skull Relic from his brother's temple. After that his lore is all about magical artifacts and sorcery.

It is said that the the Bloodwrack Medusae were Sorceresses of Ghrond who used their magics and blood-feasting rituals to become more beautiful than even the gods. In so doing, they came to the attention of the goddess Atharti, who is vain beyond measure and suffers no mortal competition. In retribution, the Goddess of Pleasure stripped the upstart mortals of their beauteous forms and caged them in pain-wracked, serpentine bodies.

A unit related to Slaanesh with magical items like The Shrine and the Blood Chalice...something that only Malus has.
    That said Medusae are not brainless beasts like the Kharybdiss or Hydra, and this is a strong reason why Medusae and Bloodwrack Shrine =/= Rakarth and his pets.
    Then we have Manflayers, Devoted of Slaanesh and the Slaanesh Marked DE that fit perfectly the Malus theme due to his lore as a slaver and Tz'arkan.

The only unit that 100% fit Rakarth is the Beastmaster.
    50% the Scourgerunner since we already have Cold One Chariots and Steeds.
    Medusae, Bloodwrack Shrine, Black Ark Fleetmaster, Master, Manflayers and the 2 Slaaneshi DE units are related to Malus more than everyone else.
    Then again Malus is a traveler with confirmed canon-rivals. Rakarth? Besides he is a 5th ed. and barely known character and goes against what Grace has stated...he has no rivals. His entire lore is like "the story of a boy and his horse and dragon pets". We don't even know who Rakarth has fought nor if he is against someone nor if he has ever traveled outside his palace.
    Team Monogods - Team Nurgle

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,635
    Definitely the best choice for a DE DLC LL. Though I'm not particularly interested in another DE LP he's the standout. Fits the theme nicely.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 3,395

PaulH said:

Malus has more than something to do with sorcery and magic since his first volume, when he gained the ancient Skull Relic from his brother's temple. After that his lore is all about magical artifacts and sorcery.

It is said that the the Bloodwrack Medusae were Sorceresses of Ghrond who used their magics and blood-feasting rituals to become more beautiful than even the gods. In so doing, they came to the attention of the goddess Atharti, who is vain beyond measure and suffers no mortal competition. In retribution, the Goddess of Pleasure stripped the upstart mortals of their beauteous forms and caged them in pain-wracked, serpentine bodies.

A unit related to Slaanesh with magical items like The Shrine and the Blood Chalice...something that only Malus has.
    That said Medusae are not brainless beasts like the Kharybdiss or Hydra, and this is a strong reason why Medusae and Bloodwrack Shrine =/= Rakarth and his pets.
    Then we have Manflayers, Devoted of Slaanesh and the Slaanesh Marked DE that fit perfectly the Malus theme due to his lore as a slaver and Tz'arkan.

Medusae, Bloodwrack Shrine, Black Ark Fleetmaster, Master, Manflayers and the 2 Slaaneshi DE units are related to Malus more than everyone else.
    Then again Malus is a traveler with confirmed canon-rivals. Rakarth? Besides he is a 5th ed. and barely known character and goes against what Grace has stated...he has no rivals. His entire lore is like "the story of a boy and his horse and dragon pets". We don't even know who Rakarth has fought nor if he is against someone nor if he has ever traveled outside his palace.
    It's not always simply story rivalry, it's often theme rivalry. Tehen and Ikkit have no particular beef other than their overall racial bias'. It came down to the rivalry of theme. Religion vs Science.

Also, Malus' rivals are who? See, that's the issue here. If you're trying to name rivals who are not Dark Elves, Chaos oriented, or one of the DLC races you run into a big pickle. Without cross or races that don't exist you don't have rivals for Malus. So the 'confirmed canon rivals' don't actually apply here.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 2,201
    Rakarth vs Throt anyone?
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • PaulHPaulH Registered Users Posts: 1,364

PaulH said:

They focus on rivalries but they aren't necessarily rivalries based on previous lore. Tehenhauin & Ikit Claw are not rivals, Tehenhauin came to power to kick out Clan Pestilens not Clan Skryre. CA liked the idea of their ideological differences, which means that the 'rivalry' can take forms other than established story rivalries. Rakarth is a Beastlord, he can tame almost any creature. This can put him at odds with a number of characters for different reasons, for example:

Korhil - A hunter of great renown that has felled chaos warped monsters (Tamer vs Hunter)
    Throt the Unclean - A creator of monsters of many varied types (Tamer vs Mutator)
    Nakai - A very powerful, monstrous Kroxigor (Tamer vs Monster)

I'm not saying these three are the LL's Rakarth will face off against, just that they demonstrate potential rivalries that aren't based on the lore but on what kind of LL they represent. Not only that, but the Queen & Crone added the Kharibdyss which does not fit with Hellebron thematically, which means that the units added don't necessarily need to fit the character that it adds.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see Malus, but I would be surprised to see him added as a DLC lord.
    PaulH said:

PaulH said:

They focus on rivalries but they aren't necessarily rivalries based on previous lore. Tehenhauin & Ikit Claw are not rivals, Tehenhauin came to power to kick out Clan Pestilens not Clan Skryre. CA liked the idea of their ideological differences, which means that the 'rivalry' can take forms other than established story rivalries. Rakarth is a Beastlord, he can tame almost any creature. This can put him at odds with a number of characters for different reasons, for example:

Korhil - A hunter of great renown that has felled chaos warped monsters (Tamer vs Hunter)
    Throt the Unclean - A creator of monsters of many varied types (Tamer vs Mutator)

I'm not saying these three are the LL's Rakarth will face off against, just that they demonstrate potential rivalries that aren't based on the lore but on what kind of LL they represent. Not only that, but the Queen & Crone added the Kharibdyss which does not fit with Hellebron thematically, which means that the units added don't necessarily need to fit the character that it adds.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see Malus, but I would be surprised to see him added as a DLC lord.
    I know even better fit for Rakarth! Prince Imrik, he who reveres dragons vs the one who breaks them.

Both on a journey to uncover mystery behind dragons sleep. Both to fulfill the prophecy and wake them all.

Campaign quest chain final unlock: Emperor Dragon for HE and Blackened Emperor Dragon for DE!

edited May 2019
    PaulH said:

PaulH said:

You can skip the 'canon rivals' part. I copied it by mystake, after the Medusae one.

However there is one thing in that statement that should be take into consideration: Rakarth is only a 5th ed. Lord with barely a page of lore...not even comparable with Malus...his popularity, importance, novels and comics and 3 armybooks: 6th - 7th - 8th edition.
    Basing on Rakarth's lore he has 'fought' nobody (races and characters) besides his Dark Steed, like a cowboy.
    On the other hand Malus has fought against High Elves, Beastmen, Undead High Elves, Chaos Warriors and several monsters of the Wastes, Bretonnians and even other Dark Elves, too.

Rakarth being able of fighting Korhil, Throt, Nakai or whatever is what it is, a fan theory based on suppositions. I can say the same things for Malus and easily, thanks to his lore.

Tz'arkan's Artifacts can be used as special-item obtainable by completing the main quests. They can increase some Malus stats and some of his units while decreasing others, basing on what Artifact you choose to upgrade.

The quest to collect all Tz'arkan's Artifacts opens several story-mode possibilities, like The Sword of Khaine did, but even better.

VS Moulder Clan -
    Throt is using the power of Tz'arkan's Artifact(s) to create/boost up his mutated creatures.

VS High Elves - Malus journey leads him to Ulthuan, home of the High Elves, when the Tyrant of Hag Graef becomes aware that a new and secret Artifact can finally free him from Tz'arkan's will once and for all. But firstly he has to defeat his keeper, Elthrarion/Imrik.

VS Lizardmen - Gor-Rok's mission is heading him against Malus Darkblade, in order to obtain the malicious Tz'arkan's Artifacts and destroy/purify them...before the awakening of that mighty Slaanesh Daemon. This is the will of the Old Ones.

There are several problems against Rakarth's inclusion over Malus. But I'll touch this point later, let's talk about the points on Malus Darkblade's favor first:

Malus PROS:

- Malus one of the most important DE characters and, as of now, the most important of the remaining potential DE characters

- Malus is a so called 'fan-favorite' thanks to his novel series and his comics, not to mention the fact that he's an official 6th, 7th and 8th ed. character

- Malus is also a so called 'cash cow' LL

- Lorewise Malus has tons of material

- Malus is the (only) perfect DE candidate to be in Cross-Game Lord Packs

- His epilogue fits perfectly with another N'kari's hint for the 3rd Game

- Tz'arkan buffs several traits of Malus, unlocking new ones during the game

- He would bring to the game his unique Cold One mount, Spite, and in a race like DE, full of black dragon riders like Malekith, Dreadlords and even Lokhir, is presence is like a breath of fresh air

- Tz'arkan's Artifacts brings to the table a plethora of possible Vortex and ME related quests, buffs and mechanics

Rakarth pros:

- ...He is a black dragon rider...and in all honesty this is not a real point on Rakarth's favor since even Lokhir has Maelstrom, his unique black dragon. Adding another one would be redundant. That said CA can also add a black dragon mount to Malus.

Rakarth is fine...as a FLC LL. And what Grace has recently stated ("we are using lesser known characters as FLC's and better known characters as DLC's") fits perfectly with Rakarth and Malus.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,635
    Rakarth is a much better choice for a DLC than the generic one who could be FLC.
    Wyvax said:

Rakarth vs Throt anyone?

If they're doing game 2 only this would be a pretty decent choice. The Master and the Moulder. Probably better than another matchup against the HE.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Registered Users Posts: 495
    Rakarth would be a good FLC choice...even if he is only from the old 5th edition army book, alongside with Malus Darkblade as the Legendary Lord of the Lord Pack.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,381

5e Table Top Fey Enchantress could turn any enemy model into a frog. Rakarth's abilities were tame considered to some of the abilities the other special characters had on the table top.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 22,761
    edited May 2019

PaulH said:

PaulH said:

You can skip the 'canon rivals' part. I copied it by mystake, after the Medusae one.

However there is one thing in that statement that should be take into consideration: Rakarth is only a 5th ed. Lord with barely a page of lore...not even comparable with Malus...his popularity, importance, novels and comics and 3 armybooks: 6th - 7th - 8th edition.
    Basing on Rakarth's lore he has 'fought' nobody (races and characters) besides his Dark Steed, like a cowboy.
    On the other hand Malus has fought against High Elves, Beastmen, Undead High Elves, Chaos Warriors and several monsters of the Wastes, Bretonnians and even other Dark Elves, too.

Rakarth being able of fighting Korhil, Throt, Nakai or whatever is what it is, a fan theory based on suppositions. I can say the same things for Malus and easily, thanks to his lore.

Tz'arkan's Artifacts can be used as special-item obtainable by completing the main quests. They can increase some Malus stats and some of his units while decreasing others, basing on what Artifact you choose to upgrade.

The quest to collect all Tz'arkan's Artifacts opens several story-mode possibilities, like The Sword of Khaine did, but even better.

VS Moulder Clan -
    Throt is using the power of Tz'arkan's Artifact(s) to create/boost up his mutated creatures.

VS High Elves - Malus journey leads him to Ulthuan, home of the High Elves, when the Tyrant of Hag Graef becomes aware that a new and secret Artifact can finally free him from Tz'arkan's will once and for all. But firstly he has to defeat his keeper, Elthrarion/Imrik.

VS Lizardmen - Gor-Rok's mission is heading him against Malus Darkblade, in order to obtain the malicious Tz'arkan's Artifacts and destroy/purify them...before the awakening of that mighty Slaanesh Daemon. This is the will of the Old Ones.

There are several problems against Rakarth's inclusion over Malus. But I'll touch this point later, let's talk about the points on Malus Darkblade's favor first:

Malus PROS:

- Malus one of the most important DE characters and, as of now, the most important of the remaining potential DE characters

- Malus is a so called 'fan-favorite' thanks to his novel series and his comics, not to mention the fact that he's an official 6th, 7th and 8th ed. character

- He would bring to the game his unique Cold One mount, Spite, and in a race like DE, full of black dragon riders like Malekith, Dreadlords and even Lokhir, is presence is like a breath of fresh air

- Tz'arkan's Artifacts brings to the table a plethora of possible Vortex and ME related quests, buffs and mechanics

Rakarth pros:

- ...He is a black dragon rider...and in all honesty this is not a real point on Rakarth's favor since even Lokhir has Maelstrom, his unique black dragon. Adding another one would be redundant. That said CA can also add a black dragon mount to Malus.

Rakarth is fine...as a FLC LL. And what Grace has recently stated ("we are using lesser known characters as FLC's and better known characters as DLC's") fits perfectly with Rakarth and Malus.

Malus CONS:

-lame 90s edgelord in a faction already filled to the brim with them

-the stories featuring him are dreadful

-yet another Elric ripoff, except without all the parts that make Elric interesting

PaulH said:

PaulH said:

VS Moulder Clan -

Malus PROS:

Rakarth pros:

Malus CONS:

-yet another Elric ripoff
    - personal issue that can be applied to all the other DE chars, since it's their nature

- personal issue

- personal issue

Malus and Rakarth factions are actually on the map. This a little start.
    But Malus has a big disadvantage.
    His faction/Warband "Khaine Scourge" is the first enemy of Alarielle.

Rakarth, instead...

PaulH said:

PaulH said:

VS Moulder Clan -

Malus PROS:

Rakarth pros:

Malus CONS:

- personal issue that can be applied to all the other DE chars, since it's their nature

- personal issue

- personal issue
    Wanting Malus is a personal issue since there's nothing appealing about him at all.

PaulH said:

PaulH said:

VS Moulder Clan -

Malus PROS:

Rakarth pros:

Malus CONS:

- personal issue

- personal issue
    Wanting Malus is a personal issue since there's nothing appealing about him at all.
    Another counter point right there: Malus can be considered a beta-Malekith after the latter transition to 8th edition Edgelordness (before he was a better character, imho)
  • ErathilErathil Registered Users Posts: 630
    I like him.

Principally because he's more interesting than Malus Darkblade.
    Erathil said:

I like him.

Principally because he's more interesting than Malus Darkblade.

It's Rakarth's profession that makes for better gameplay opportunities than Malus Darkblade who's just Malekith's Mini-me.

PaulH said:

PaulH said:

VS Moulder Clan -

Malus PROS:

Rakarth pros:

Malus CONS:

- personal issue

- personal issue
    Saying that Malus has 'nothing appealing' IS a personal issue again...

Being a Drachau and a slaver, then having a Slaanesh Daemon inside him that buffs his stats, that leads him into deadly journeys against many races in order to find magical and ancient artifacts >>> Having a bad & black horse as a gift...and then having a black dragon with the same name of my horse.

This is what I find interesting and unique for a LP.