Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Potential Legendary Lords for upcoming WH2 DLCs: Dark Elves Rakarth overview

Comments

• GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 3,578

PaulH said:

PaulH said:

I do want Malus Darkblade, I really do. But the truth is that Beastlord Rakarth is far more appropriate as the next Dark Elf DLC lord. He fills the missing niche of a monster-themed LL, which would go nicely with the Bloodwrack Medusae that will probably get added in the DE dlc.

I'll copy/paste what I have said in another thread:

Malus has more than something to do with sorcery and magic since his first volume, when he gained the ancient Skull Relic from his brother's temple. After that his lore is all about magical artifacts and sorcery.

It is said that the the Bloodwrack Medusae were Sorceresses of Ghrond who used their magics and blood-feasting rituals to become more beautiful than even the gods. In so doing, they came to the attention of the goddess Atharti, who is vain beyond measure and suffers no mortal competition. In retribution, the Goddess of Pleasure stripped the upstart mortals of their beauteous forms and caged them in pain-wracked, serpentine bodies.

A unit related to Slaanesh with magical items like The Shrine and the Blood Chalice...something that only Malus has.
    That said Medusae are not brainless beasts like the Kharybdiss or Hydra, and this is a strong reason why Medusae and Bloodwrack Shrine =/= Rakarth and his pets.
    Then we have Manflayers, Devoted of Slaanesh and the Slaanesh Marked DE that fit perfectly the Malus theme due to his lore as a slaver and Tz'arkan.

The only unit that 100% fit Rakarth is the Beastmaster.
    50% the Scourgerunner since we already have Cold One Chariots and Steeds.
    Medusae, Bloodwrack Shrine, Black Ark Fleetmaster, Master, Manflayers and the 2 Slaaneshi DE units are related to Malus more than everyone else.
    Then again Malus is a traveler with confirmed canon-rivals. Rakarth? Besides he is a 5th ed. and barely known character and goes against what Grace has stated...he has no rivals. His entire lore is like "the story of a boy and his horse and dragon pets". We don't even know who Rakarth has fought nor if he is against someone nor if he has ever traveled outside his palace.
    They focus on rivalries but they aren't necessarily rivalries based on previous lore. Tehenhauin & Ikit Claw are not rivals, Tehenhauin came to power to kick out Clan Pestilens not Clan Skryre. CA liked the idea of their ideological differences, which means that the 'rivalry' can take forms other than established story rivalries. Rakarth is a Beastlord, he can tame almost any creature. This can put him at odds with a number of characters for different reasons, for example:

Korhil - A hunter of great renown that has felled chaos warped monsters (Tamer vs Hunter)
    Throt the Unclean - A creator of monsters of many varied types (Tamer vs Mutator)
    Nakai - A very powerful, monstrous Kroxigor (Tamer vs Monster)

I'm not saying these three are the LL's Rakarth will face off against, just that they demonstrate potential rivalries that aren't based on the lore but on what kind of LL they represent. Not only that, but the Queen & Crone added the Kharibdyss which does not fit with Hellebron thematically, which means that the units added don't necessarily need to fit the character that it adds.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see Malus, but I would be surprised to see him added as a DLC lord.
    I know even better fit for Rakarth! Prince Imrik, he who reveres dragons vs the one who breaks them.

Both on a journey to uncover mystery behind dragons sleep. Both to fulfill the prophecy and wake them all.

Campaign quest chain final unlock: Emperor Dragon for HE and Blackened Emperor Dragon for DE!

Aren't Emperor Dragons a Cathay thing? Think Imrik is probably more of a FLC Lord too, as he is pretty much just a named Prince.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Registered Users Posts: 4,151
    He kind of looks like if someone stretched out a chaos dwarf.
    Later
  • LudboneLudbone Registered Users Posts: 1,158
    Nice FLC material. But I'm not interested though. . .

Sadly Malus Darkblade will completely obscure this guy once the LP is out.
    Beastmen: where is the love?

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,220
    Goatforce said:

PaulH said:

PaulH said:

I do want Malus Darkblade, I really do. But the truth is that Beastlord Rakarth is far more appropriate as the next Dark Elf DLC lord. He fills the missing niche of a monster-themed LL, which would go nicely with the Bloodwrack Medusae that will probably get added in the DE dlc.

Malus has more than something to do with sorcery and magic since his first volume, when he gained the ancient Skull Relic from his brother's temple. After that his lore is all about magical artifacts and sorcery.

It is said that the the Bloodwrack Medusae were Sorceresses of Ghrond who used their magics and blood-feasting rituals to become more beautiful than even the gods. In so doing, they came to the attention of the goddess Atharti, who is vain beyond measure and suffers no mortal competition. In retribution, the Goddess of Pleasure stripped the upstart mortals of their beauteous forms and caged them in pain-wracked, serpentine bodies.

A unit related to Slaanesh with magical items like The Shrine and the Blood Chalice...something that only Malus has.
    That said Medusae are not brainless beasts like the Kharybdiss or Hydra, and this is a strong reason why Medusae and Bloodwrack Shrine =/= Rakarth and his pets.
    Then we have Manflayers, Devoted of Slaanesh and the Slaanesh Marked DE that fit perfectly the Malus theme due to his lore as a slaver and Tz'arkan.

Medusae, Bloodwrack Shrine, Black Ark Fleetmaster, Master, Manflayers and the 2 Slaaneshi DE units are related to Malus more than everyone else.
    Then again Malus is a traveler with confirmed canon-rivals. Rakarth? Besides he is a 5th ed. and barely known character and goes against what Grace has stated...he has no rivals. His entire lore is like "the story of a boy and his horse and dragon pets". We don't even know who Rakarth has fought nor if he is against someone nor if he has ever traveled outside his palace.
    They focus on rivalries but they aren't necessarily rivalries based on previous lore. Tehenhauin & Ikit Claw are not rivals, Tehenhauin came to power to kick out Clan Pestilens not Clan Skryre. CA liked the idea of their ideological differences, which means that the 'rivalry' can take forms other than established story rivalries. Rakarth is a Beastlord, he can tame almost any creature. This can put him at odds with a number of characters for different reasons, for example:

Korhil - A hunter of great renown that has felled chaos warped monsters (Tamer vs Hunter)
    Throt the Unclean - A creator of monsters of many varied types (Tamer vs Mutator)

I'm not saying these three are the LL's Rakarth will face off against, just that they demonstrate potential rivalries that aren't based on the lore but on what kind of LL they represent. Not only that, but the Queen & Crone added the Kharibdyss which does not fit with Hellebron thematically, which means that the units added don't necessarily need to fit the character that it adds.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see Malus, but I would be surprised to see him added as a DLC lord.
    I know even better fit for Rakarth! Prince Imrik, he who reveres dragons vs the one who breaks them.

Both on a journey to uncover mystery behind dragons sleep. Both to fulfill the prophecy and wake them all.

Campaign quest chain final unlock: Emperor Dragon for HE and Blackened Emperor Dragon for DE!

Aren't Emperor Dragons a Cathay thing? Think Imrik is probably more of a FLC Lord too, as he is pretty much just a named Prince.
    That's Dragon Emperor, title of Cathayan ruler. He is more than that. Imrik is a book character with unique model and ruler of a faction with immense potential!
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 3,395
    Saying Malus is perfect is just an opinion. It's not a listed fact. Just gave a bunch of made up reasons to adventure there, but still didn't give an actual rivalry for the exist 3 factions he has to actually deal with except not even then.

They are not likely to do HE vs DE again. They're probably going to shuffle it up. DE wont vs DE meaning the rivalry is either Skaven or Lizardmen of which Malus has no particular rivalry with. Yes you can make up something but his theme doesn't really fit it either.

CA has made their rivalries all based around an existing feud, existing plot point, or existing themes. Of which Malus has none. Rakarth at least has a theme go vs Imrik with the HE or Skaven beastmasters.

And in the end he is very much Malekith 2.0 with daemonsauce. They've shown they don't like overlapping that in game 2. Going to different types like casters, hybrids, support lords, or different style like flying. Which once more Rakarth fits better.

Not saying Malus shouldn't be in the game. Popular enough he should make an appearance but he still screams FLC way more than DLC.
    Ludbone said:

Nice FLC material. But I'm not interested though. . .

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. This is why I wanted more race DLC. They just bring much more to the table. I mean, it's still content and I'll still get it and play it, but my hype level is pretty much non-existant.
    Later
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 1,732
    In the end, CA can make anyone interesting or not. If Rakarth was FLC he would just have some stat buffs and and upkeep reduction for monsters, if he was DLC then he could have some more advanced monster capturing mechanics.

The same with Malus, if he is FLC he would simply get some active ability and skills to represent his demon, if was DLC they could have some tracker involving the demons controll, quests for getting magic items to control the demon etc.

I personally think Malus has more potential for cool mechanics, and is a more interesting character, but I don't doubt that CA could make a fun and unique DLC mechanic for Rakarth.
    When put that way, Rakarth would just be like a smaller version of Norsca's monster hunts. I mean, I'd play that, but if they did want to make him DLC I think they'd have to go bigger than that. At least in comparison to the recent lords pack.
    Later
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,635

PaulH said:

PaulH said:

You can skip the 'canon rivals' part. I copied it by mystake, after the Medusae one.

However there is one thing in that statement that should be take into consideration: Rakarth is only a 5th ed. Lord with barely a page of lore...not even comparable with Malus...his popularity, importance, novels and comics and 3 armybooks: 6th - 7th - 8th edition.
    Basing on Rakarth's lore he has 'fought' nobody (races and characters) besides his Dark Steed, like a cowboy.
    On the other hand Malus has fought against High Elves, Beastmen, Undead High Elves, Chaos Warriors and several monsters of the Wastes, Bretonnians and even other Dark Elves, too.

Rakarth being able of fighting Korhil, Throt, Nakai or whatever is what it is, a fan theory based on suppositions. I can say the same things for Malus and easily, thanks to his lore.

Tz'arkan's Artifacts can be used as special-item obtainable by completing the main quests. They can increase some Malus stats and some of his units while decreasing others, basing on what Artifact you choose to upgrade.

The quest to collect all Tz'arkan's Artifacts opens several story-mode possibilities, like The Sword of Khaine did, but even better.

VS Moulder Clan -
    Throt is using the power of Tz'arkan's Artifact(s) to create/boost up his mutated creatures.

VS High Elves - Malus journey leads him to Ulthuan, home of the High Elves, when the Tyrant of Hag Graef becomes aware that a new and secret Artifact can finally free him from Tz'arkan's will once and for all. But firstly he has to defeat his keeper, Elthrarion/Imrik.

VS Lizardmen - Gor-Rok's mission is heading him against Malus Darkblade, in order to obtain the malicious Tz'arkan's Artifacts and destroy/purify them...before the awakening of that mighty Slaanesh Daemon. This is the will of the Old Ones.

There are several problems against Rakarth's inclusion over Malus. But I'll touch this point later, let's talk about the points on Malus Darkblade's favor first:

Malus PROS:

- Malus one of the most important DE characters and, as of now, the most important of the remaining potential DE characters

- Malus is a so called 'fan-favorite' thanks to his novel series and his comics, not to mention the fact that he's an official 6th, 7th and 8th ed. character

- Malus is also a so called 'cash cow' LL

- Lorewise Malus has tons of material

- Malus is the (only) perfect DE candidate to be in Cross-Game Lord Packs

- His epilogue fits perfectly with another N'kari's hint for the 3rd Game

- Tz'arkan buffs several traits of Malus, unlocking new ones during the game

- He would bring to the game his unique Cold One mount, Spite, and in a race like DE, full of black dragon riders like Malekith, Dreadlords and even Lokhir, is presence is like a breath of fresh air

- Tz'arkan's Artifacts brings to the table a plethora of possible Vortex and ME related quests, buffs and mechanics

Rakarth pros:

- ...He is a black dragon rider...and in all honesty this is not a real point on Rakarth's favor since even Lokhir has Maelstrom, his unique black dragon. Adding another one would be redundant. That said CA can also add a black dragon mount to Malus.

Rakarth is fine...as a FLC LL. And what Grace has recently stated ("we are using lesser known characters as FLC's and better known characters as DLC's") fits perfectly with Rakarth and Malus.

Malus CONS:

-lame 90s edgelord in a faction already filled to the brim with them

-the stories featuring him are dreadful

-yet another Elric ripoff
    - personal issue that can be applied to all the other DE chars, since it's their nature

- personal issue

- personal issue
    Wanting Malus is a personal issue since there's nothing appealing about him at all.
    I agree. He's like Jeckyl and Hyde but without the interesting part; Jeckyl. He's Hyde and Hyde.

In contrast Rakarth doesn't have a huge amount of lore but he fits the DE and the next pack really well.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,667
    I don't see Rakarth as being the DLC lord he's only in the fifth edition and would have fit being a FLC character because he is obscure and would not fit what CA has said about FLC characters.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• LudboneLudbone Registered Users Posts: 1,158

Rakarth is a much better choice for a DLC than the generic one who could be FLC.

And here we go again. . .

Beastmen: where is the love?

I don't see Rakarth as being the DLC lord he's only in the fifth edition and would have fit being a FLC character because he is obscure and would not fit what CA has said about FLC characters.

He's obscure but they don't really have anything else left. He's the only one who really fits a rivalry theme (in the sense of beastmaster vs beastmaster) and who has a connection to the units in the LP.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • GodWillTellGodWillTell Registered Users Posts: 697
    Meh. Boring redundant dragon rider with lame lore.

Malus Darkblade as DLC is a lot better.

#FORGHORGON
  • GerardofthetitanGerardofthetitan Registered Users Posts: 433
    Rakarth has connection only with High Beastmaster. Lame Lokhir clone.
    FLC stuff but Shadowblade is better.

• Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,116
    Most of the age of reckoning art was amazing, but their Rakarth just looks like the poor mans Malekith.

Most of the age of reckoning art was amazing, but their Rakarth just looks like the poor mans Malekith.

Which is a problem with DE LL candidates in general.

Still Rakarth differentiates himself from Malekith by being a beastmaster LL in a race known for mastering beasts. And his look can be updated.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 2,545
    I love it how people who don't even like the DE are the most active in voicing their opinion whom should their potential LL be

I love it how people who don't even like the DE are the most active in voicing their opinion whom should their potential LL be

It's a forum, people often come simply to debate.

Also, people who are a fan of any of the races also tend to be the most blind to what actually will be. Because they're fans, and they let that drive their logic. So there are people saying things because they want it as a fan of the race or lord, because they want it as a player who doesn't care about the DE but do care about new toys in the game(this is more common than most think), and those who simply state who they think is likely based on CA's behavior. I sit in tier three primarily, because I do like the DE but I already got who I wanted in Hellebron.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 2,545
    Nyxilis said:

Also, people who are a fan of any of the races also tend to be the most blind to what actually will be. Because they're fans, and they let that drive their logic. So there are people saying things because they want it as a fan of the race or lord, because they want it as a player who doesn't care about the DE but do care about new toys in the game(this is more common than most think), and those who simply state who they think is likely based on CA's behavior. I sit in tier three primarily, because I do like the DE but I already got who I wanted in Hellebron.
    Yeah people who expect a lord that appeared in one edition decades ago are way more logical if we have DE Lp it will be either Malus or some of the other 8th edition heroes. Maybe Shadowblade vs Sniktch assassin theme or Kouran vs Caradryan guardian themeor even Thanquol vs Tullaris as chosen of their gods

Nyxilis said:

Yeah people who expect a lord that appeared in one edition decades ago are way more logical if we have DE Lp it will be either Malus or some of the other 8th edition heroes. Maybe Shadowblade vs Sniktch assassin theme or Kouran vs Caradryan guardian themeor even Thanquol vs Tullaris as chosen of their gods
    CA has stated they consider theme their biggest choice in DLC is theme. Your logic says Ghorst would never have been a DLC, or even other choices would have moved ahead. It's not popularity. Because in the end, more people knew who Rakarth was over Ghorst. Because did Ghorst have a figure? Stats? Was he in a novel? Or a single supplement? That's it, and entirely why Rakarth is very much in the running.
  • Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Registered Users Posts: 495
    Obvious Malus is obvious.

Honestly Rakarth is not interesting at all since all his potential beasts are already in the game with several Black Dragons too. He doesn't bring nothing new gameplay and lorewise besides the story about his steed, which is also a redundant western like story. He has not even epic wargears.
    He is also another masked Lord...and after 3 Lords with mask a 4th one is not necessary.

FLC? Sure. If there will be other FLC...if not we can say goodbye to Rakarth.
    FLC for game3? Like we have got Ariel, Kurt Helborg and Konrad V.C. as game2 FLC? Sure- no wait, never happened. Same for game2 Lords as game3 FLC. Impossible unless CA drops a candy now.
  • LordTorquemadoLordTorquemado Registered Users Posts: 1,300
    Ludbone said:

Rakarth is a much better choice for a DLC than the generic one who could be FLC.

And here we go again. . .

What it isn't surprising at all is the fact those guys who despise Malus aren't even DE fans... I don't know why are we still listening their nonsense.
    "You stumble about in darkness. There is no light here, no mercy. Naggarond has claimed the souls of better heroes than you."
    edited May 2019
    Nyxilis said:

It's a forum, people come with different opinions, tis the nature of it. Because liking a character or not is entirely subjective any attack on the validity of an opinion is an attack on them all. You can't attack someone's opinion then tout your own; you've just undermined your own opinion.

Myself I'm a fan of the DE, but now I feel all their good characters are gone (I love Hellebron) I've shifted to camp two. I want what offers the most interesting playstyles. Looking at it from that perspective Rakarth fits the bill. He's got a Dragon mount as standard (No Lokhir messing about here) and he's got an obvious style and set of mechanics that tie in well with what they're going to implement. The DE are a beastmaster race, if they have 5 LL's it makes sense to have one focused around that.

Nyxilis said:

It's a forum, people come with different opinions, tis the nature of it. Because liking a character or not is entirely subjective any attack on the validity of an opinion is an attack on them all. You can't attack someone's opinion then tout your own; you've just undermined your own opinion.

Myself I'm a fan of the DE, but now I feel all their good characters are gone (I love Hellebron) I've shifted to camp two. I want what offers the most interesting playstyles. Looking at it from that perspective Rakarth fits the bill. He's got a Dragon mount as standard (No Lokhir messing about here) and he's got an obvious style and set of mechanics that tie in well with what they're going to implement. The DE are a beastmaster race, if they have 5 LL's it makes sense to have one focused around that.
    When it comes to liking a character or not, it is purely subjective. However, when it comes statements like "character x is strong", "character x is boring", or "character x is generic" then of course people can disagree. Saying that people cannot disagree with this basically saying they're not allowed to have an opinion. These things may not have a 100% defined answer, but it is still possible and valid to come with arguments for or against such statements.

He's obscure but they don't really have anything else left. He's the only one who really fits a rivalry theme (in the sense of beastmaster vs beastmaster) and who has a connection to the units in the LP.
    Has far more chance of being Deathmaster vs Shadowblade then the guy who was removed after the changes from 6th edition because everyone lost that group of monsters. And that's if they don't do a Lokhir with him and have them behave like a Dreadlord.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,202

Has far more chance of being Deathmaster vs Shadowblade then the guy who was removed after the changes from 6th edition because everyone lost that group of monsters. And that's if they don't do a Lokhir with him and have them behave like a Dreadlord.
    Also, to point out Rakarth chances.
    Karond Kar is one of the most pointed out cities in campaign introductions. So Beastmasters are quite up for next Lord Pack

Also, to point out Rakarth chances.
    Karond Kar is one of the most pointed out cities in campaign introductions. So Beastmasters are quite up for next Lord Pack
    Clar Karond is the main beastmaster city though, Karond Kar is the secondary. Also, if they were going to put someone in Karond Kar, then it would propably have been... Lokhir Fellheart, the Krakenlord of Karond Kar
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    I freely admit I don't like the Dark Elves, and I also freely admit I don't care who the next LL is. They're all fine. Boring, but fine.

I doubt it'd be two unmounted lords. Especially since Sniktch can't lead.

Granted him being so many editions away makes him unlikely, that's true, but he is quite a good fit for the DLC LL.

I doubt it'd be two unmounted lords. Especially since Sniktch can't lead.

Granted him being so many editions away makes him unlikely, that's true, but he is quite a good fit for the DLC LL.
    Lokhir had no mounts and he was thrown one it's CAs thing now as no mount characters are having mounts thrown at them.