Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Elspeth von Draken

jgmasterjgmaster Senior MemberPosts: 487Registered Users
Has anyone seen my "old (girl)friend' Elspeth von Draken???

#MakeItHappen #MoreLoveForEmpire

Comments

• Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Posts: 4,629Registered Users
    Don't worry the Generic Amethyst Wizard will stop her from arriving like the Absent Gold Wizards are being stopped by Gelt.

But TBH (and serious) they'll probably be trying to finish the army books characters before going to Forgeworld.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• ErathilErathil Posts: 357Registered Users
    It seems like some of the assets in the Amethyst Wizard's model could be used for Elspeth. Particularly the flowers.

Here's hoping. She's hands-down the coolest thing to have ever happened to the Empire, and a unique hero compared to the other possibilities.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 2,483Registered Users

Don't worry the Generic Amethyst Wizard will stop her from arriving like the Absent Gold Wizards are being stopped by Gelt.

But TBH (and serious) they'll probably be trying to finish the army books characters before going to Forgeworld.

Was more their lesser rosters of game 1 that did that. Game 2 they haven't done that at all. Hero or lord types can be a LL as well in game 2.

And that isn't what they've done either. Ghorst was in a simple supplement. If they want to take from Forgeworld because they like it. They simply will.
  • baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,051Registered Users

Well since most of Chaos Dwarf will be Forgeworld after all, frankly speaking if there's a chance it's in WH3 for her.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 3,890Registered Users
    She has a draken and so she has a liken.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

Nyxilis said:

Was more their lesser rosters of game 1 that did that. Game 2 they haven't done that at all. Hero or lord types can be a LL as well in game 2.

And that isn't what they've done either. Ghorst was in a simple supplement. If they want to take from Forgeworld because they like it. They simply will.
    Ghorst was a case of no other character could lead since they already had a plan for Vlad and Isabella (VC1 have a requirement of magic for lords) and does prove the point of them going outside the 8th edition when they run out of options which for the Empire means after Helborg, Marius, Wulfhart and Huss.

Yeah heroes can be lords and lords can be heroes That's why Isabella was turned into a Lord she could lead armies due to her magic.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 2,578Registered Users
    She's at least a foot in the door. Her, Boris, and the Mad Count of Averland.

Well since most of Chaos Dwarf will be Forgeworld after all, frankly speaking if there's a chance it's in WH3 for her.
    The case wasn't they cannot take from FW it was that with army book races they tend to reach outside of it when they run out of that option like Ghorst because Vlad and Isabella were already planned and the Forgeworld additions to the Vampire Coast because the WD army list is small and that they had used all they could from the Zombie Pirate list.

Nyxilis said:

Ghorst was a case of no other character could lead since they already had a plan for Vlad and Isabella (VC1 have a requirement of magic for lords) and does prove the point of them going outside the 8th edition when they run out of options which for the Empire means after Helborg, Marius, Wulfhart and Huss.

Yeah heroes can be lords and lords can be heroes That's why Isabella was turned into a Lord she could lead armies due to her magic.
    Except that's wrong, do you know anything about the Vampire Counts? They had other options than someone who had no figure, and no TT stats. I know very well their magic clause, but that wasn't it.

CA has time and time again shown they will grab a LL where they want if they like it or they think it serves their purpose. They didn't pick Ghorst because of his magic, they picked him because of the links to Volkmar.
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Posts: 601Registered Users
    I really would like the Mad Count of Averland to be in, he could easily use Harkon's insanity features, He would be another mounted lord, although Daisy hardly counts, but I do miss the days of lords on foot being a thing.

Team Vampire Counts

edited May 15
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Except that's wrong, do you know anything about the Vampire Counts? They had other options than someone who had no figure, and no TT stats. I know very well their magic clause, but that wasn't it.

CA has time and time again shown they will grab a LL where they want if they like it or they think it serves their purpose. They didn't pick Ghorst because of his magic, they picked him because of the links to Volkmar.
    Not in the 8th edition the Vampire Count had no other option as Konrad and Krell could not lead Vampire Count Armies unless you're talking of the second version of Mannfred Von Carstein which is a tad obvious on why they skipped him.

Going for Ghorst is as said because there's no other 8th ED characters who could lead and the whole Sigmars Blood theme because nearly everything in that DLC is from it. Edit: and ends up meaning anyone is up for grabs if they fit a theme at least until game 2 added that FLC is for the Obscure characters (Like Ghorst)

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Not in the 8th edition the Vampire Count had no other option as Konrad and Krell could not lead Vampire Count Armies unless you're talking of the second version of Mannfred Von Carstein which is a tad obvious on why they skipped him.
    Going for Ghorst is as said because there's no other 8th ED characters who could lead and the whole Sigmars Blood theme because nearly everything in that DLC is from it.
    They have not limited themselves to 8th edition exclusively for their LLs why should they for the Vampire Counts? People had plenty of other suggestions and not one was Ghorst. But it was far more chosen on theme.

And so if they want to theme around a wizard and toss in some RoR like Nuln guns and engineering you'd see her faster than you'd think.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,536Registered Users
    She is one of the few Empire lords I'd start a playthrough for.
    I am incredibly mad and angry at whatever someone insinuated could possibly, but not likely, happen in the WH series today and CA must answer for this with an explanation of why they might possibly, but didn't do this!!!
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Going for Ghorst is as said because there's no other 8th ED characters who could lead and the whole Sigmars Blood theme because nearly everything in that DLC is from it.
    They have not limited themselves to 8th edition exclusively for their LLs why should they for the Vampire Counts? People had plenty of other suggestions and not one was Ghorst. But it was far more chosen on theme.

And so if they want to theme around a wizard and toss in some RoR like Nuln guns and engineering you'd see her faster than you'd think.
    They limit themselves to the army list/book selected (8th ED default) before expanding to other areas and even then it's up in the air like Alberic was chosen over people from previous editions like Bohmond, Repanse and Tancred for example (Bretonnia had a character shortage from their 6th Edition with 3 and only 2 being able to lead).

And again Ghorst did prove the point he's one outside of the baseline 8th ED being a 8 ED campaign since they had a plan for the characters who could lead.

8th Edition was mentioned because VC and Emp are both 8th Ed races and as far as I remember they have not skipped over characters from the chosen Edition who could lead for a previous edition (Forgeworld or etc) character that didn't Involve GWs personal hand i.e Grombrindal which most certainly was Games Workshops involvement given the whole exclusivity deal.

• tyrannustyrannus Posts: 710Registered Users
    ...Is not coming,RIP. Someone who's actually important will come instead. Hail Sigmar!

Believe in humanity!

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

They limit themselves to the army list/book selected (8th ED default) before expanding to other areas and even then it's up in the air like Alberic was chosen over people from previous editions like Bohmond, Repanse and Tancred for example (Bretonnia had a character shortage from their 6th Edition with 3 and only 2 being able to lead).

And again Ghorst did prove the point he's one outside of the baseline 8th ED being a 8 ED campaign since they had a plan for the characters who could lead.

8th Edition was mentioned because VC and Emp are both 8th Ed races and as far as I remember they have not skipped over characters from the chosen Edition who could lead for a previous edition (Forgeworld or etc) character that didn't Involve GWs personal hand i.e Grombrindal which most certainly was Games Workshops involvement given the whole exclusivity deal.
    See, you don't know that. Grimbrindal could very well have been done because CA wanted to touch that. Which puts a hole in your theory to the point you have to make up a theory on GW personally inserting it. Given this is the dead game of fantasy and CA seems to be the ones making requests I think it was more personal choice of the company and once more a 2nd glaring hole in your designs.
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

See, you don't know that. Grimbrindal could very well have been done because CA wanted to touch that. Which puts a hole in your theory to the point you have to make up a theory on GW personally inserting it. Given this is the dead game of fantasy and CA seems to be the ones making requests I think it was more personal choice of the company and once more a 2nd glaring hole in your designs.
    You literally had to go into a Games Workshop store in order to get Grombindal The White Dwarf early that is most certainly Games Workshop involvement.

• TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 608Registered Users
    edited May 15
    Lord pack

Elspeth von Draken v Molokh Slugtongue

The Knights Panther
    Knights of the White Wolf
    Knights of Morr
    Celestial Hurricanum

Pestigors
    Wargors
    Ghorgon
    Jabberslyth
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,536Registered Users
    tyrannus said:

...Is not coming,RIP. Someone who's actually important will come instead. Hail Sigmar!

Oh most definitely. Hence Lokhir and not Malus or Tretch and not Thanquol. Importance comes first. Hail Ghorst!
    I am incredibly mad and angry at whatever someone insinuated could possibly, but not likely, happen in the WH series today and CA must answer for this with an explanation of why they might possibly, but didn't do this!!!

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

You literally had to go into a Games Workshop store in order to get Grombindal The White Dwarf early that is most certainly Games Workshop involvement.
    What you can buy on the TT store is not a sign on what is involved in the Total Warhammer game. Try something better.

tyrannus said:

Oh most definitely. Hence Lokhir and not Malus or Tretch and not Thanquol. Importance comes first. Hail Ghorst!
    Magnus the Pious out of nowhere!

• TayvarTayvar Posts: 9,399Registered Users

I doubt that the Generic Gold Wizards stopped by Gelt, they are not the only characters that the Empire is still missing, and the Empire was missing the Amethyst Wizards as well, for a very long time.
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
  • tyrannustyrannus Posts: 710Registered Users

tyrannus said:

I'll take anyone who actually looks like empire LL instead of this goffic girl. Ya people have vampires and dark elves already, it's enough.

Believe in humanity!
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

What you can buy on the TT store is not a sign on what is involved in the Total Warhammer game. Try something better.
    Right because who else did we have to go into a Games Workshop store in order to get early because he came with the White Dwarf book

Clearly CA and not Games Workshop.

The best thing Elspeth von Draken has going for her is her uniqueness. She's a dedicated spell caster with ethereal and a combat-oriented mount option, so she can be more fighty than Balthasar Gelt, with special abilities focused around death and magic instead of metal and augmentation.

That's effectively the difference between Tehenhauin and Kroak.

But then you need to look at the other Empire options. Marius Leitdorf, Kurt Helborg, Luidwig Schwarzhelm... how would they be, realistically, anything other than Karl Franz except worse? Warriors and leaders, except without his stats, without his awesome personal griffon, without his abilities that buff the Emprie's elites, and without Gal Maraz.

The Empire has a homogeneity problem that goes with being the quintessential generalist faction. I could see Schwarzhelm working really well as a Legendary Hero, but Elspeth von Draken just offers so much that's different.

Weirdly, after seeing what they did with Tiq'tak'to, Markus Wulfhart seems like the next most likely candidate. Yeah, he's a super minor figure in the lore, but he's tangibly different from all the other lords, both in terms of combat abilities and general style.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,028Registered Users
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

My god if they had done Zacharias or Neferata instead...

Well hopefully they will come in the future.
    It's a bit of a tangent... but I have a personal theory about Helman Ghorst.

Ghorst's problem is that he's awful and nobody likes him. (It's a fairly big problem.) He's a super minor character that doesn't apepar in the Vampire's 8th edition book, but is apparently in the minor campaign book released just before the End Times (and even then, he's second-fiddle to Mannfred). Nobody wanted him, because hardly anyone actually read that book, and those that did didn't pay much attention to a generic character when the main people involved were Volkmar and Mannfred.

Now... Total War Warhammer got off to a really rocky start. It launched with four races and a psuedo-DLC race that felt rushed. Every faction was missing tons of iconic units and characters. Reviews were mixed to uncharitable.

On top of that, Games Workshop has a sort of unique approach to licensing their intellectual property. They do these things piecemeal, charging for individual factions, characters, and sometimes units. The bigger and more important the lore figures involved, the more they charge and the more picky they are about who they license it to.

Volkmar was an excellent lord choice for the Empire. Ghorst is nobody, but he was thematically tied to Volkmar, and he was cheap at a time when the future of the game looked uncertain.

I sort of think he was chosen because he was a low financial risk at a time when Creative Assembly and Games Workshop were iffy about the game's future.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 5,180Registered Users
    edited May 15
    In the wiki on Elspeth she is cited as being a magisterix and obsessive and seeing as she is a Death Wizard the word morbid writes itself.

I am talking of course about the text in the patch notes about the Amethyst Wizard that says he is ”a magister, morbidly obsessed”.

Hints usually come in italics. Just a thought.
    Lord of the Undermountain
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 9,399Registered Users
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Well the Vampire Counts didn't had much lord options left from the 8th Edition.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Vampire_Counts#Notable_Characters
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

Right because who else did we have to go into a Games Workshop store in order to get early because he came with the White Dwarf book

Clearly CA and not Games Workshop.
    See, you're missing the giant glaring point this is a CA game. They've licensed the IP but CA is making it. You have to theorize that GW makes the demand of CA to add him. When it was likely none such, but still shows they were perfectly willing to step left in game 1. Or that they've done it even more in game 2. It doesn't support your point.