Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Create your own legendary lord

SethsKidsSethsKids Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi there have been other threads on this but I had a first coffee of the morning epiphany and wanted folk to come at this fresh (but please be gentle, what I know about coding could be written in large font on a stamp)

The roleplay aspect of total war warhammer is an incredibly important part of the experience for me, and I have found myself making stories in my noggin about my favourite generals so I'd like to start a campaign with a more blank slate than is currently available.

The problem is that without special models/skill trees/stats/starting units I can forsee the generic campaigns without the legendary Lords feeling flat and bland.

My proposal is seemingly simple (but I'm as thick as a yard of lard so again be gentle) a create a legend mode.

First choose your race and gender

Then base class (hand to hand, pew pew, magic or a hybrid of two of the above) this sets base stats and equipment.

Then choose starting area from a list of race controlled areas. This modifies stats, skills and starting units (someone starting in nuln would Probs have a big ass cannon for example)

Then choose what God the character worships. This modifies the skill tree and starting units (a worshipper of khaine might get stealth and an assassin agent at start)

Then choose a demeanor. this mods starting relationships and gear (eg a choice of schemer would be hated by honourable folk but loved by crafty factions and would be unlikely to have an axe larger than themselves)

Then choose unique gear from a list to generate quests.

Finally cosmetic bits and bobs including a flag designer.

That's how I'd do it.

But I know very little.

Comments

• LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Posts: 354Registered Users
    I'd rather have more individual configurable generic lords and heroes, more defined by their individual features than their class (or rather vary more strongly within the bounds of each class). That's how "build your own character" work in TT. A first step would be including weapon variants to all races, much like it was done for the zombie pirates.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,480Registered Users
    edited May 22
    Many combinations would be lore-breaking, unless it would have an sufficient amount of limitations, also many combinations could be overpowered and they might overshadow an established characters.
  • SethsKidsSethsKids Posts: 3Registered Users
    Tayvar.

Yeah it'd take a bucket of balance work but the idea was to incorporate lore into the process via having the skill tree defined by race then province type thing.

For example (I'm playing delfs atm) you choose a melee person from kar clarond that would give you buffs to hydra to reflect the unique building in that region and give you a more limited set of start weapon configs as a lord from there might have less access to executioner swords but more to kit useful for taming huge many headed beasts (so a long spear/goad type doo dah)

I'm a total newbie atm so no doubt there's problems my idea but I like the idea of a character creation being almost a prologue to the campaign.
    SethsKids said:

Yeah it'd take a bucket of balance work but the idea was to incorporate lore into the process via having the skill tree defined by race then province type thing.

For example (I'm playing delfs atm) you choose a melee person from kar clarond that would give you buffs to hydra to reflect the unique building in that region and give you a more limited set of start weapon configs as a lord from there might have less access to executioner swords but more to kit useful for taming huge many headed beasts (so a long spear/goad type doo dah)

I'm a total newbie atm so no doubt there's problems my idea but I like the idea of a character creation being almost a prologue to the campaign.

Well if CA would implement that feature properly then I am fine with it, otherwise I would not be fine with it, the balance, the lore and the respect to an established characters is important, many strategy games who had added a character creation feature had messed it up, and it made not only the feature itself bad, but it had also hurt the game as whole. The character creation for a Warhammer Setting should be defined not only by race, but also by gender, because it's an Setting that is heavily inspired by a real life Medieval and Renaissance, the Empire and Bretonnia don't have women in the military for example, with the exception of female mages, but on the other hand Bretonnia, Kislev and the Dark Elves are not allowing males to practice magic. As for the buffs of the characters being affected by their place of birth, among other things, it make sense, and by the way if you don't have much knowledge about the Warhammer Setting and want to read some summarizes, you can check the pages that are dedicated to Warhammer in TV Tropes, and for even more details you can also check Warhammer Wiki. :)

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/TotalWarWarhammer

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
  • SethsKidsSethsKids Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks for the links man.

I love nerding out.

It's been a good 15 to twenty years since I played tt.

Tww2 was why I got a gaming pc memories of trying to paint tyrion back in the day.
    No problem and good thing that in Total War: Warhammer 2 CA had already painted Tyrion for us. :)
  • AltarielAltariel Posts: 140Registered Users
    I liked the suggestion
  • mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,236Registered Users
    +1 for generic lord and hero customisation. TT had great options in this part and this feature would add big flavour and replayability to the game, and would also help some underpowered characters with currently subpar equipment be more useful.
  • BaaltorBaaltor Posts: 67Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

SethsKids said:

The character creation for a Warhammer Setting should be defined not only by race, but also by gender, because it's an Setting that is heavily inspired by a real life Medieval and Renaissance, the Empire and Bretonnia don't have women in the military for example, with the exception of female mages, but on the other hand Bretonnia, Kislev and the Dark Elves are not allowing males to practice magic. As for the buffs of the characters being affected by their place of birth, among other things, it make sense, and by the way if you don't have much knowledge about the Warhammer Setting

Not that I disagree with this line of reasoning, but Bretonnia does have female knights... inspired by Joan of Arc. You might have a point with the Empire... I think. I don't know for certain. Looking through the faction list there'd actually be very few exceptions... and a significant number of them are AGAINST men rather than women. So it's easier than you might think.
  • MartialAtheistMartialAtheist Posts: 7Registered Users
    Please give us this. Customization and originality is one of the biggest appeal factors in Warhammer tabletop, I'd love some reflection of that here.
    Baaltor said:

Not that I disagree with this line of reasoning, but Bretonnia does have female knights... inspired by Joan of Arc. You might have a point with the Empire... I think. I don't know for certain. Looking through the faction list there'd actually be very few exceptions... and a significant number of them are AGAINST men rather than women. So it's easier than you might think.

Repanse got retconned, a low-born got so far, don't make sense with Bretonnia's latest lore.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file