Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

In ProgressBlurry and Pixelated regardless of graphics options

MavsynchroidMavsynchroid Posts: 19Registered Users
edited May 24 in Performance & Graphics
This.... is unplayable for me. All other past Total War games, including Warhammer 1 and 2, look absolutely perfect and sharp..

Three Kingdoms though, looks like a disgusting boogery mess.

https://imgur.com/EdPu6sS

https://imgur.com/WuFuz5b

https://imgur.com/mhDABxH

I've only seen something like this in one other game once, and that was Resident Evil 2 remake. However, the second I turned off "Screen Space Reflections" and "Screen Space Shadows", it went away instantly and the game looked great. Unfortunately for this game, no matter what options I choose, it doesn't go away. Full screen or windowed, any resolution, lowest to ultra, none of it makes any difference.

There's some sort of bug in this game that's affecting people, not just me. On the steam forums there's a good amount of people showing images of having the same problem. Please fix this ASAP as the game is simply unplayable for me, and I'd much rather enjoy it than refund it. Have been looking forward to this game all week.

EDIT: Probably should be clear. The game looks pixelated and blurry, and looks 10x worse than what you're seeing in this still shots since they aren't moving. When everyone is moving, and when armies clash, it looks like pixelated ants attacking each other. The main issue can been seen with that one picture zoomed in on the highlighted circles underneath the unit's feet. It becomes patchy and pixelated. When I zoom far out from the units, they tend to get somewhat blurry and pixelated. I should be able to run this game on High/Ultra without issues. At least, Warhammer 2 could run like that without a problem, and I've been hearing this game runs better.
Post edited by CA_Hamish on

Comments

• Robocop_TwiceRobocop_Twice Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited May 23
    Same here. No solution within game options. I run a GTX 1080 and everything defaults to Ultra. Should be running it fine but it looks like hot garbage.

Should add that I get over 80 FPS with Ultra, but the appearance is blurry and unplayable, looks like a 15 year old game's textures.
  • MavsynchroidMavsynchroid Posts: 19Registered Users
    GTX 1080 here as well. Maybe that's the common issue?
  • Robocop_TwiceRobocop_Twice Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited May 23
    Might be. I just played it for 30mins on my laptop with a RTX 2070 and it looks pretty great.

I updated to NVIDIA's most current drivers on the 1080 before playing it.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,181Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Though a little dated, the link below should be used to provide the information Support will need to assist with the issues noted. Thanks.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/242429/guide-to-posting-in-performance-and-graphics#latest
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 1,318Registered Users
    edited May 23

Its a resolution issue, also did u use TAA? u need to play this on full screen btw, windowed = more issues

edited May 24

Its a resolution issue, also did u use TAA? u need to play this on full screen btw, windowed = more issues
    I disagree. You shouldn't need to play any game in fullscreen. If you do, then it's the game that has the problem. Just last night I was playing both Warhammer 2 and Rome 2 in windowed mode, and the games looks beautiful. The fault definitely lies with the game. Tried all the different settings in the graphics options menu except for raising my resolution past what it really is, 1920x1080

As for the info required..

Build = v1.0.0 Build 9198.1663030

Description of problem = The game looks pixelated and blurry, and looks 10x worse than what you're seeing in this still shots since they aren't moving. When everyone is moving, and when armies clash, it looks like pixelated ants attacking each other. The main issue can been seen with that one picture zoomed in on the highlighted circles underneath the unit's feet. It becomes patchy and pixelated. When I zoom far out from the units, they tend to get somewhat blurry and pixelated. I should be able to run this game on High/Ultra without issues. At least, Warhammer 2 could run like that without a problem, and I've been hearing this game runs better.

The only thing new to add on is that I've found a way to get rid of it, however it isn't feasible. The only way to get rid of it is to go fullscreen and change my resolution to 3840x2160, the highest resolution possible. My monitor's resolution is 1920x1080, so this slows down the game by quite a lot. If I'm not at that resolution, I get pixelated and blurry images both in battles and campaign, as if the resolution isn't right.

EDIT: I double checked my display settings in system settings on my PC and it says 1920x1080 (recommended), there's also 3840x2160, but it does NOT seem to be recommended for my PC.

Reproduction steps = Simply playing the game on ANY settings other than the overkill one not meant for my PC.

Attached DXdiag, preference.script.txt , and modified.log

https://imgur.com/EdPu6sS

https://imgur.com/WuFuz5b

https://imgur.com/mhDABxH

dge1 said:

Though a little dated, the link below should be used to provide the information Support will need to assist with the issues noted. Thanks.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/242429/guide-to-posting-in-performance-and-graphics#latest

Should have quoted you when I made the above post to let you know I responded. Sorry!
    edited May 24
    bumples?..

I added my user information... Could you please remove that tag?... Feel like people keep away from threads with that tag...
    Post edited by Mavsynchroid on
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,178Registered Users
    edited May 26
    If I am not mistaken, there's a resolution 'scale' option (Graphics tab?). Is it set to 100%?
    Given you said it happens on all settings, I can presume you meant you changed all settings, including Anti-aliasing and depth of field?
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
    GrudgeNL said:

If I am not mistaken, there's a resolution 'scale' option (Graphics tab?). Is it set to 100%?
    Given you said it happens on all settings, I can presume you meant you changed all settings, including Anti-aliasing and depth of field?

Yup
  • TheGreatDiddlerTheGreatDiddler Posts: 33Registered Users
    I just started up after purchase and am having the same issue. Looks like it's running 480p when it's set to 1080p.

I just started up after purchase and am having the same issue. Looks like it's running 480p when it's set to 1080p.

Yeah been a few days now and no response or anything... Not looking good.
  • AuroraSolarAuroraSolar Posts: 2Registered Users
    Same problem, also with GTX 1080.

Maybe I bought this game too early, hope this will getting fixed. Even the campaign map looks kinda bad.
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,178Registered Users

Well CA doesn't work in the weekend and today there's the Spring bank holiday. So you won't hear from them until tomorrow.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
    GrudgeNL said:

Well CA doesn't work in the weekend and today there's the Spring bank holiday. So you won't hear from them until tomorrow.
    That's at least somewhat comforting.. I think they should just make a Game of Thrones total war game for me as an apology, and I'll let bygones be bygones.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,677Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited May 27

GrudgeNL said:

That's at least somewhat comforting.. I think they should just make a Game of Thrones total war game for me as an apology, and I'll let bygones be bygones.
    At least you know that CA has seen your thread and is investigating because the OP was editted by a CA staffer to add the In Progress prefix.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

GrudgeNL said:

At least you know that CA has seen your thread and is investigating because the OP was editted by a CA staffer to add the In Progress prefix.

True... Well, at least true on the surface. As for whether or not it's actually being investigated and being resolved, we'll see. Not to discredit their team, but I'm sure they have tons of other things to fix as well. At least it seems that other people are experiencing this same weird off kilter resolution problem as I am, so it's not something specific to me.
  • chrisoutwrightchrisoutwright Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited May 27
    Somehow the TAA is not working properly even for Single GPU setups (for Multi it can't work). I immediately notice that the temporal AA causing strange color gradients on some textures like armor when seen in move. I think TAA is not getting an average of the last frames somehow, seems like the same error when two GPU cards are in use and there is no frame buffer to average from in SLI. Something is really off with TAA I think, see this scene I have uploaded to YT.
    Post edited by chrisoutwright on
    Darn, saw that steam had an update for the game, so I was hoping it was fixed. No such luck.
    edited May 28
    .............Seriously? Turned on the game to see if the update had fixed anything.. No luck... so left it on in the background.... Twenty minutes later... BSOD. Kernel something or other... Looks like this will be a refund.

EDIT: Turned on game again. started up custom battle. 15 seconds after the battle loaded, BSOD.

bsod attempted write to readonly memory

dxgmms2.sys

... Looked it up online and the second part talks about reinstalling gfx driver... Even though it was absolutely fine when I updated my gfx driver about a day after installing Three kingdoms... Obviously it has to do with whatever update was just rolled out for the game...
    Post edited by Mavsynchroid on
  • simple_fiddlessimple_fiddles Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited May 30
    Having the same problem. Running the game on Ultra with GTX 2070 with updated drivers.

I can't help but wonder if this is caused by the black circle/green triangle unit markers.

When you max zoom in on units they look fine. But when you look at the unit's feet there is a kind of pixelated/blurring effect as the legs/feet clip through the unit marker. When you max zoom out, this pixelated effect seems to carry over.

Here is an example of what I mean:

https://i.imgur.com/y1ymAs6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gfI6ATv.jpg

But even when not selected, units look blurry and pixelated - especially the banners.

I went ahead and refunded the game for now. Hopefully they will find a fix for this soon.
    Yikes. Well, at least it still looks better than mine. My game looks like a booger sandwich from twenty years ago.
  • Sky_SweeperrSky_Sweeperr Senior Member OklahomaPosts: 1,700Registered Users

Somehow the TAA is not working properly even for Single GPU setups (for Multi it can't work). I immediately notice that the temporal AA causing strange color gradients on some textures like armor when seen in move. I think TAA is not getting an average of the last frames somehow, seems like the same error when two GPU cards are in use and there is no frame buffer to average from in SLI. Something is really off with TAA I think, see this scene I have uploaded to YT.

Yeah, TAA is lookin' real bad for me. Everything looks like a running painting when units move using TAA.
    A brave man marches into danger and ignores his fear. A courageous man marches into danger while embracing his fear.

CPU: Intel i7 4970k 4.0 Ghz
    GPU: AMD r9 290x 4GB
    RAM: 16GB DDR3

Veteran of the Total War franchise since Shogun: Total war. (I was 10)
  • AtYourLeisureAtYourLeisure Posts: 60Registered Users
    It's just TAA. It's not rocket science. It's like you people go complain before doing any testing. I learned how to troubleshoot these sorts of problems when I was a little kid on archaic hardware.

The game looks good. None of their historical titles look any better. You only think Warhammer looks better because of the fantasy aesthetic. The TAA issue is real, but the rest is all in your head.

It's just TAA. It's not rocket science. It's like you people go complain before doing any testing. I learned how to troubleshoot these sorts of problems when I was a little kid on archaic hardware.

The game looks good. None of their historical titles look any better. You only think Warhammer looks better because of the fantasy aesthetic. The TAA issue is real, but the rest is all in your head.

Hrmm... So this is what it looks like to be flat out wrong... I see.

Warhammer looks better because Warhammer looks better. Three kingdoms looks pixelated and blurry. I've played BOTH games today and can easily see the difference. It seems like you like to think you're the only one capable of configuring settings on your PC, but I'm sorry to tell you that you're not. If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd realize that I've already said, no matter what settings I use, nothing changes, UNLESS I jack the resolution up to the absolute max. Shouldn't have to do this for a game.

So, thanks for trying to tell us what's going on in our heads, but leave it to the more capable people, eh? Thanks.

Hrmm... So this is what it looks like to be flat out wrong... I see.

Warhammer looks better because Warhammer looks better. Three kingdoms looks pixelated and blurry. I've played BOTH games today and can easily see the difference. It seems like you like to think you're the only one capable of configuring settings on your PC, but I'm sorry to tell you that you're not. If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd realize that I've already said, no matter what settings I use, nothing changes, UNLESS I jack the resolution up to the absolute max. Shouldn't have to do this for a game.

So, thanks for trying to tell us what's going on in our heads, but leave it to the more capable people, eh? Thanks.
    Weird that switching from TAA seems to work for others and not you then eh? Warhammer looks better because of the bright and vibrant colors coupled with the extensive variation in models. How about you prove me wrong with evidence. You're the one making the more extraordinary claim. The system requirements align perfectly with my assertion, not yours.

Prove, with evidence, that the models are lower resolution and/or polygons. I'll wait.
    edited June 2
    -wonky forum-
    Post edited by AtYourLeisure on