Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

SolvedSOLVED Flickering White Dots on Screen and Model Glitching

CitizenSnips3CitizenSnips3 Registered Users Posts: 6
edited June 2019 in Performance & Graphics
When I launch the game, I can see white dots flickering across the screen which is especially visible against any black background. When I run the benchmark, the flickering becomes worse and adds larger white dots over my entire screen. The models also appear glitched out and broken.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• CA_HamishCA_Hamish Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SEGA Posts: 131
    Hi @CitizenSnips3

Sorry to hear you have encountered this issue. Thank you for providing the screenshots and information above.

In the first instance, can you please "Verify the integrity of game files". You can do this by right clicking the game in your steam library, then selecting Properties > Local files > Verify integrity of game files. This eliminates the possibility of data missing from the game that could be the cause.

I noticed that your 4K monitor has a significantly lower refresh rate compared to your 2k monitor. I would ask that you try disabling the 4K monitor and seeing if that has an impact on the issue.

Furthermore, if you have attempted the above and still no joy, I would recommend a clean driver install. This would require you to uninstall your drivers and reinstall fresh. I have seen a similar issue on other titles that solved the artifacting with this method.

If possible, could you provide a .mp4 capture of the battle benchmark as you described above. This may highlight a potential cause and give us more information.

Thanks in advanced and let us know how you get on

CA_Hamish
  • CitizenSnips3CitizenSnips3 Registered Users Posts: 6
    The file is too large, but here's an Onedrive link to the .mp4
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtkSmfQxWwKkhstRimq5jQhs8q6EVg

The file check came out clean, and the problem persist after a reinstall and turning off my second monitor. For reference, the second monitor is kept at 2560x1440, and V-sync should fix any monitor differences.
  • CA_HamishCA_Hamish Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SEGA Posts: 131
    @CitizenSnips3

Thank you for your reply and providing the video capture, it is very useful.

Does issue occur to the same level when running the benchmark with recommended graphics settings?

Thanks,

CA_Hamish

Yes it does. I've set everything down to low just to see, but it's the same issue. If it helps, I've played most of the Total War games and this is the first time I've had issues.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtkSmfQxWwKkhstS_Vz1UNrlt5H6pA
    Here's another video of the game running on a single monitor with full low settings.
    For further troubleshooting, I've upgraded to the latest Nvidia driver released today and switched out monitors to see if the white spots was some kind of pixel issue, but my problems persist.
    @CitizenSnips3

Thank you form updating us.

When you upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers, did you install them as a clean install? I know I mentioned this above, however we have had a few users report an issue very similar to this one, which was fixed by installing fresh GPU drivers and I just wanted to make sure you had tried this solution.

Thanks,

CA_Hamish
    Yes, this was a completely fresh install. I uninstalled the driver from the device manager menu and used my integrated graphics to install a fresh copy of the driver, and then updated to the latest driver. I've also updated the stability patch that went out today and I'm still having the same issue.
    I don't know to mark this as resolved, but on a whim I moved the install from one of my internal SSD's to my primary C: SSD and it fixed it.

maybe a weird file call didn't like my steam library being out of the program files folder? Either way, it's working like a dream now. I'm positive that the other hard drive is working well and I can play other games from it, so it has to be something set up with this.
    @CitizenSnips3

Thank you for letting us know and I am glad the issue is all sorted!

Cheers,

CA_Hamish