Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So now that 3k is out is CA going hard on tww3?

Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users
Has CA said that they will shifting there recourses over to tww?

Hope so.

Btw what is 3k like for those of u who have played it?

Comments

• GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,078Registered Users
    The official line has always been that there are different teams, which is true - though with 3K I think it is fairly likely that a lot of manpower was probably focussed into the 3K team, especially after the delays.

Hopefully with it released though we will start to see faster DLC release, and some more movement on game 3.

So to answer your question, hopefully yes focus is shifting back to WH, though it is unlikely we will see any official confirmation.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,102Registered Users
    I think they'll be gathering info on 3K and thinking about patches.. then I think the staff may tale mass leave.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    They were working on TWW3 for a while, especially regarding models and animation.

Still hoping for some E3 announcement, the 2021 theories are extreme.
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users

They were working on TWW3 for a while, especially regarding models and animation.

Still hoping for some E3 announcement, the 2021 theories are extreme.

I dont think they are extreme . Tw2 is still selling super well and i can see that contueing into the forseeable future. They arent going to disrupt those sales.

At the earliest will be out end of 2020

• Theo91Theo91 Posts: 974Registered Users
    hurry ca, I’m very impatient and want to play game 3 now
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Posts: 1,472Registered Users
    The info we have is that the license started in 2012 and was to last ten years. Unless they get an extension, then a 2021 release is going to have an appallingly short support window in post-release, as CA link patches to content releases and they can't develop WHFB IP products once the license expires.

I think game 2 was announced and released far too early, one reason I believe the 'separate teams' claim is a sleight-of-hand, as was the prototype combined campaign. I do not think game 3 has been in development for long, at least not in any productive sense, when it should have been since the start of the Warhammer trilogy.

It needs more than just art and assets content: it needs bold design features and it needs to not make the predecessor irrelevant like game 2 did to game 1. I've little faith of that; despite the huge unpopularity of siege battles for example, CA did not do a thing to change or improve them in game 2.
  • makar55makar55 Posts: 1,678Registered Users
    If I was the boss then shifting people from 3K was the last thing I would do.

• 1v01v0 Posts: 188Registered Users
    I think they will, but only when TW:3K passes (calms down). Because I think this will happen, the reason I think this is - 3K is humans only and when all the new stuff, the hype ,the exitment passes. It's just another humans vs humans (with different colour armor), and in the end TW:WH will still have more players because there is just more variety because of the monsters and fantasy of it.

I had this with ROME 2, I really liked it played it non-stop but after time I realized that all units (of every country) are the same, they just have different armors/colours/stats. And after that I stoped playing it.
  • blacksphemyblacksphemy Posts: 141Registered Users
    I really believe that 3k is a potentially bigger money maker for them right now just owing to lower model count etc while still costing $60. And I expect them to be working and publicly focusing on 3k for at least the next 2-3 months, which would be sound strategy for them.

I dont plan on buying 3k (aside from a massive sale) but I hope its scratching the itch for historical players and the Chinese market for sure

#cathay2021
  • apostolispapostolisp Member Posts: 155Registered Users
    If I understood correctly , from the last "what the teams are working" blog-post , back in Feb , there is going to be a Saga game after 3K or at least in 2019 , so my guess is mid 2020 for TWW3.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,943Registered Users
    Wouldn't bet on it. Probably the opposite.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Posts: 786Registered Users
    To answer your last question first - if you like the total war model, go buy Three Kingdoms now. It is an amazing game that offers something considerably different from Warhammer.

And, I don't think Warhammer fans have anything to worry about. Yes, 3K will be a cash cow for them, but so is the Warhammer franchise. They have separate core development teams - Im absolutely sure of that. I also believe they likely have support teams (marketing, QA, etc) that work across games. That is normal and efficient. It would be stupid to do it any other way.

If players want - and are willing to pay - for new content for the Warhammer games, then I am 100% sure CA is going to put all of the effort needed to make that content. It is common sense - and pretty much what they have told us.

The series is in good hands, imo. If anything, I am more excited about the future given the massive capital injection that is likely coming with 3K.

And, again, go play 3K. It doesn't feel like any previous TW game and, imo, represents a major step forward for the franchise.
    Blaeys said:

To answer your last question first - if you like the total war model, go buy Three Kingdoms now. It is an amazing game that offers something considerably different from Warhammer.

And, I don't think Warhammer fans have anything to worry about. Yes, 3K will be a cash cow for them, but so is the Warhammer franchise. They have separate core development teams - Im absolutely sure of that. I also believe they likely have support teams (marketing, QA, etc) that work across games. That is normal and efficient. It would be stupid to do it any other way.

If players want - and are willing to pay - for new content for the Warhammer games, then I am 100% sure CA is going to put all of the effort needed to make that content. It is common sense - and pretty much what they have told us.

The series is in good hands, imo. If anything, I am more excited about the future given the massive capital injection that is likely coming with 3K.

And, again, go play 3K. It doesn't feel like any previous TW game and, imo, represents a major step forward for the franchise.

Also a major step backwards, if you actually care about units. It's a PDX game with a TW game tacked on, mostly.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    If there are going to be huge delays, at least this will be an excuse for me to starting painting necromunda models.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,680Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Also a major step backwards, if you actually care about units. It's a PDX game with a TW game tacked on, mostly.

What, did you expect them to put dragons and phoenixes in? Do you think having a big roster is all there is to strategy games? Chess games are a mirror match all the time and yet its gameplay is renowned for its depth and detail.

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,830Registered Users
    Lol, yeah after 3K completely blows every previous TW game out of the water I'm sure their first reaction will be to shift gears to the less sucessful than even it's predecessor Warhammer 2.

You should be praying that they don't shift gears AWAY from Warhammer 2 frankly. Warhammer's team will keep chugging along but I'm sure that 3K will still be getting just as much support. The best thing we can hope for as TW fans is that both games will get the care they deserve.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
    Krunch said:

Lol, yeah after 3K completely blows every previous TW game out of the water I'm sure their first reaction will be to shift gears to the less sucessful than even it's predecessor Warhammer 2.

You should be praying that they don't shift gears AWAY from Warhammer 2 frankly. Warhammer's team will keep chugging along but I'm sure that 3K will still be getting just as much support. The best thing we can hope for as TW fans is that both games will get the care they deserve.

How is wh2 less successful then its predecessor exactly?

Explain, love to hear this.
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
    DarkLordD said:

Krunch said:

Its retention rate is about two thirds of WH1's buyers.

Xenos7 said:

What, did you expect them to put dragons and phoenixes in? Do you think having a big roster is all there is to strategy games? Chess games are a mirror match all the time and yet its gameplay is renowned for its depth and detail.
    Nah, I didn't expect anything more than what they did. Maybe a bit more diversity in design. Like the Romance mode isn't Romance enough. But all in all, the setting is what it is. And we aren't talking about strategy games. We are talking about TW games specifically.
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Nah, I didn't expect anything more than what they did. Maybe a bit more diversity in design. Like the Romance mode isn't Romance enough. But all in all, the setting is what it is. And we aren't talking about strategy games. We are talking about TW games specifically.
    What do you think TW is? An FPS?

Krunch said:

It must be said that a huge chuck of players are from China, looking at the hourly distribution and language of the reviews. And in China the game costs 40% less than in the US. So it's more complicated than a sale-for-sale comparison.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,830Registered Users
    edited May 25
    DarkLordD said:

Krunch said:

The main metric we have to go by is the peak player count. TW:WH had a peak of 118K or so players. Warhammer 2 had a peak player count somewhere in the 70k-80k range. Still pretty good, but currently 100K less than 3K's peak. We also saw the number of sales in a steam-wide leak a while back and Warhammer 1 sold quite a few more copies at that point than Warhammer 2 had. It's possibly closer by now though, or maybe even surpassed, but the point is that initially at least it was not as wildly successful as either 3K or warhammer 1.

EDIT: Should note that Warhammer 2 is still of course seemingly very successful. Obviously CA will continue to support warhammer, I'm just saying I think it's silly to think that the launch of 3K would impact Warhammer at all. Ultimately I'm sure in CA's mind it's just best to have 2 great money makers rather than just 1.

Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

What do you think TW is? An FPS?
    A beer and pretzel strategy series. At the same level of complexity of Panzer General, give or take. I'm a grognard wargamer so for me it scratches a wholly different itch than, say, TOAW IV or AGEOD's Alea Iacta Est or CMANO. 3K is deeper than usually and that's, I guess, good for some people. Me, that's not why I play TW games. So I'm already bored with this, it kinda stands in no man's land for me. But it's a good game, if you're looking for a compromise.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 3,005Registered Users
    It's not like they need most of that team on 3k now. New game team is not a DLC team. All your main components are already there. I mean they'll likely keep a lot of folks to make certain things continue to be smoothed about but there is an eventual shift to the DLC line of things. But no matter what title they're looking at next it's simply better for them to move on to that title. So 3k is likely going to be busted down to a smaller team. Even if they simply intended to follow up with a smaller but linked title.
  • PancakesPancakes Posts: 377Registered Users
    If by going hard you mean, pressure to release ahead of schedule causing undue stress on staff, and most likely a buggy broken release, than yes, most likely.
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Posts: 1,472Registered Users
    Isn't anyone else depressed that any hope for an inspired vision has instead been replaced by the market-led consideration of 'expected risk and return'?

I got invested in Warhammer because of a hint at there being an over-arching vision for a Warhammer trilogy with as much as CA could possible include, capped with an all-encompassing combined campaign. I even tolerated that this wouldn't be possible without DLC, given CA's were tied to making a trilogy under a time-limited license.

I despaired when that wasn't the case and it seemed instead that CA were choosing to invest resources in accordance to Sega-Sammy's share price expectations instead.

And before the usual suspects come out with their moronic 'durr-hurr, company gotta make money'; they have plenty of options, they don't have to choose the most greedy and anti-consumer way of doing it every single friggin time.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,398Registered Users
    They probably shifted weeks ago.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,102Registered Users

Isn't anyone else depressed that any hope for an inspired vision has instead been replaced by the market-led consideration of 'expected risk and return'?

I got invested in Warhammer because of a hint at there being an over-arching vision for a Warhammer trilogy with as much as CA could possible include, capped with an all-encompassing combined campaign. I even tolerated that this wouldn't be possible without DLC, given CA's were tied to making a trilogy under a time-limited license.

I despaired when that wasn't the case and it seemed instead that CA were choosing to invest resources in accordance to Sega-Sammy's share price expectations instead.

And before the usual suspects come out with their moronic 'durr-hurr, company gotta make money'; they have plenty of options, they don't have to choose the most greedy and anti-consumer way of doing it every single friggin time.

I think the low point here is complaining about CA using a 'market-led' (influenced or determined by the needs and wishes of consumers) model and then saying they choose to be 'anti-consumer'.

You say so much without really saying anything.

By all means, you can whinge about people not understanding you and you understand the games industry while the rest of us have no idea... but I don't believe you.
  • Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 834Registered Users
    I could care less for WH3 right now, i would love to see a Race Pack instead of Lord packs... that's what i really want event thought they said no more race packs...

For WH1 i was hoping for Southern Realm Race Pack, for WH2 i was hoping for Araby DLC or the latter and was let down.
  • Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 834Registered Users
    Nyxilis said:

It's not like they need most of that team on 3k now. New game team is not a DLC team. All your main components are already there. I mean they'll likely keep a lot of folks to make certain things continue to be smoothed about but there is an eventual shift to the DLC line of things. But no matter what title they're looking at next it's simply better for them to move on to that title. So 3k is likely going to be busted down to a smaller team. Even if they simply intended to follow up with a smaller but linked title.

They always say that Nyxilis bit truth be told like in any place if they need personnel for crunch time they WILL take personnel from other areas.

However i think like you after 3k they will have a skeleton crew on 3k and move some of the personnel to more important stuff.