Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

TW:WH and 3 Kingdoms...bad news for us?

Tears_After_HateTears_After_Hate Posts: 143Registered Users
Hello guys. :)

Now that 3 Kingdomds is finally out...i'm really worried for the future of Warhammer series. I know that 3 Kingdoms is the new CA cash cow thanks to the chinese market, but i hope this won't mean the end of Warhammer 2 life cycle and a longer wait for the Third Game.

Do you think the budget of Warhammer 2 additional contents will be smaller now? Will CA use most of their total budget just for 3 Kingdoms?

Sorry for my bad eng! :D

Comments

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,683Registered Users
    It is good to spread your risks and have more customer groups. Also wh can use old assets. This speaks for more good wh stuff.

We dont know the split between GW and CA however. And if 3k will stay as popular as CA says it is (most preordered ever) well 3k might be much better than wh for CA. And companies often specialize in what is most profitable.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,225Registered Users
    Warhammer 3 will not come any time soon no matter what. We have 2 Lord Packs, 1 new Saga game and maybe a couple of 3K dlcs (including the blood dlc) before they release the third game.

I don't see why they would drop Warhammer, personally. It was already a cash cow before 3K arrived, even if not at the same level. Better two cash cows then one.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,831Registered Users
    edited May 25
    I don't think they've actually said whether the SAGA or WH3 is coming first. And as said, Warhammer is still fairly successful and makes them money, why have just one cash cow when you could have 2?
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,946Registered Users
    Yep, I think it's bad news. The series will be half-abandoned, I guess. I would love to be proven wrong, obviously. Will check back in a year time and see if my pessimism was spot on.
  • LudboneLudbone Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    I'll try to be less pessimistic, but in my personal opinion the 3K > WH2 problems are:

- The next LP's (crossgame or not) will be delayed. . . 6 to 8 months, due to all the 3K future DLC's and stuff like that, because they will obviously take the priority for the rest of the year and maybe even more.

- The LP's and FLC's will have a worse quality compared with P&W and maybe Q&C. . . of course with P&W CA has released the best Lord Pack ever made, thanks to the amount of new units, Kroak and so on. . . but with 3K asking for budget-priority I doubt we'll get 9 units again or another Legendary Hero. . . or maybe FLC's. And we have also to take into consideration the unique and not-simple-reskin units, like Razordon, Troglodon, Medusae, Skycutters, Arcanodon, Stormfiends, Great Pox Rat, Verminlord etc. etc. and even characters like Boneripper.

- The license with GW is close to its end.

This is me acting pessimistic. Maybe I'm wrong. . . I hope I'm wrong. . .
    Beastmen: where is the love?

• Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,439Registered Users
    It had a 150% peak player count in comparison to WH1, but I wouldn't call the numbers crushing.
    Xenos7 said:

Yep, I think it's bad news. The series will be half-abandoned, I guess. I would love to be proven wrong, obviously. Will check back in a year time and see if my pessimism was spot on.

CA are currently working on another Sagas game, which is likely to not be as successful as the likes of WH3. Also the minimum CA needs to do is 95% full rosters for Daemons of Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs and Ogre Kingdoms. They don't necessarily need to add in Kislev or Cathay, especially given GW continued paranoia over copyright.
  • LudboneLudbone Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    Oh yes, 3K will probably have a strong impact to all the Campaign Packs AKA new races. Because if 3K will be the Graal of CA for years (say thanks to the chinese players) then the addition of rosters like Kislev, DoW, Cathay, Ogre Kingdoms or whatever won't be so sure. . .

Then WH3 will never be a fiasco, sure.
    Beastmen: where is the love?

• Federykx99Federykx99 Posts: 562Registered Users
    edited May 25
    Ludbone said:

- The license with GW is close to its end.

This is me acting pessimistic. Maybe I'm wrong. . . I hope I'm wrong. . .

I really wouldn't worry about that. GW made money with the first two games and is gonna make more with the third, so even if the license ends in 2022 I don't see why they wouldn't renew it for say 3-5 years in order to milk the cash cow.

Remember that GW has a free licensing policy so they can renew the contract with CA while at the same time having others using WHFB, such as Vermintide.
  • Bojan0302Bojan0302 Posts: 17Registered Users
    Let’s all calm down people.
    No need to panic.
    WH 3 is coming and it will be GLORIOUS.
    In the meantime we will get LP’s and probably more of the WH 1 races overhauls which are more than welcome.
    Just have patience and don’t hate on TK’s, it’s pointless.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,094Registered Users
    CA has X amount of staff, you will get diminishing returns if you focus all that staff (if you have several teams worth) into one project - suddenly it isn't so profitable. If they randomly downsized then maybe we have cause for concern, but seems highly unlikely. Multiple projects are better than one, if you have the resources for it.

Whatever 3K is, WH is still highly successful and profitable, CA aren't going to drop a cash cow because they have another one - just like they didn't drop Historical just because fantasy was successful. CA will want to grow, having many successful series is important for that - more revenue sources = a healthier company, as well as a more robust one that can withstand more knocks. CA used to be dependant, as far as I can see, on Historical, if that performed badly CA performed badly, now it has both Historcal and Fantasy.

I am rambling, but the long and short of it is if CA is doing well, that is good for TW:WH - they will have more cash to invest in future projects (although WH3 may be too close to really feel that, this might be a new engine for the next generation of TW or something) and more confidence to think big. To my knowledge CA has had some of its best years of profits with WH, they aren't going to drop it.

It had a 150% peak player count in comparison to WH1, but I wouldn't call the numbers crushing.

It's crushing, taking into consideration how cheaper must this game have been to produce. Cheaper than Rome 2, I guess, in the ballpark of Shogun 2. OTOH, Chinese copies also sell for less money. So it's kinda complicated.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 3,007Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

You've been proven wrong time and time again. Shall we dig through all the times you talked about being surprised if we get anymore DLC? How you expected quality of DLC to go down in response despite not?

None of this says anything about what will happen to Warhammer. First as Krunch says, why forsake one cash cow when you can have two? It's still by all means a profitable series tried and proven when any others are not guarantee. It's the kind of logic when they should just make Rome over and over again as each title of that series has been a financial success. Especially since 3k's success isn't that much greater right now than either Warhammer I or Rome 2 certainly doing well, but not so stupendously well to halt everything else. That's just folly.

Furthermore that design team is leaving that project soon and will just be busted down to a DLC team while they rest march over to another large launch title. You know, exactly what Warhammer has now.

The doom and gloom folks on this bring little historical precedence with CA.
    Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

You've been proven wrong time and time again. Shall we dig through all the times you talked about being surprised if we get anymore DLC? How you expected quality of DLC to go down in response despite not?
    So what? It's pessimism, it's meant to be about the worst case scenario. Sometimes pessimism is proven to be right. Maybe this is the case, maybe not. We shall see.

Xenos7 said:

Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

So what? It's pessimism, it's meant to be about the worst case scenario. Sometimes pessimism is proven to be right. Maybe this is the case, maybe not. We shall see.

Pessimism for pressimism's sake is just flawed logic and reasoning. And so far a good portion of your pessimistic promises, especially those made right after QatC are on the ash pile of wrong. That means not worth much. Justifying right now as, "Oh pessimism, that's logic." Except at some point it just makes one a doomsayer who's words are not dependable or well thought out because we know exactly where they will go. Spouting worst case scenarios you might as well add, "CA's going bankrupt soon, I called it." Cause actual worst case scenario, and logic or facts need not apply. Cause pessimism right?

Warhammer II is not as successful as 3k at any early glance. It doesn't mean it's not profitable, and you know Warhammer is successful but you don't know if any follow up historical title will be. If they scorned every other historical title fan or Warhammer fan they will lose a lot of that fan base. It makes no sense to drop everything and do only those titles. Gets stale for one thing, generates bad PR, and ignores that a large portion of 3k's success are notChinese players all around the world who are happy to see a different historical arena and would be bored by successive only China concentration.

DLC does not require a full new game team and that doesn't even make financial sense when you can bust down to a DLC team using all the prior made components for even greater value while producing the other large number hit with the new game team.
    Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

Pessimism for pressimism's sake is just flawed logic and reasoning. And so far a good portion of your pessimistic promises, especially those made right after QatC are on the ash pile of wrong. That means not worth much. Justifying right now as, "Oh pessimism, that's logic." Except at some point it just makes one a doomsayer who's words are not dependable or well thought out because we know exactly where they will go. Spouting worst case scenarios you might as well add, "CA's going bankrupt soon, I called it." Cause actual worst case scenario, and logic or facts need not apply. Cause pessimism right?

Warhammer II is not as successful as 3k at any early glance. It doesn't mean it's not profitable, and you know Warhammer is successful but you don't know if any follow up historical title will be. If they scorned every other historical title fan or Warhammer fan they will lose a lot of that fan base. It makes no sense to drop everything and do only those titles. Gets stale for one thing, generates bad PR, and ignores that a large portion of 3k's success are notChinese players all around the world who are happy to see a different historical arena and would be bored by successive only China concentration.

DLC does not require a full new game team and that doesn't even make financial sense when you can bust down to a DLC team using all the prior made components for even greater value while producing the other large number hit with the new game team.
    Well, let's just bet a virtual beer then.
    Xenos7 said:

Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

Kay, but given your track record of going to negative for negatives sake. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Course, we did this in the past if you don't recall after Queen and the Crone. I was right then, guess I should have bet that virtual beer.
    Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

Kay, but given your track record of going to negative for negatives sake. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Course, we did this in the past if you don't recall after Queen and the Crone. I was right then, guess I should have bet that virtual beer.
    Yep, probably. I'm happy to be wrong, you know.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 2,216Registered Users
    DLC/saga stuff is small beer compared to a flagpole main title for cash generation, their main use is to keep the cash flowing while the next main title is developed.

Sofia looks like providing the bulk of the historical DLC team and also support for the saga game as mentioned in the last team's blog – they did the Yellow Turbans DLC and helped Jack Lusted’s team with ToB – he’s the lead for these spin off titles, they really are a different team – check the credits.

TW 3K is now moving into its post release phase with the core team still providing some support if required, it mentions this in latest TW 3K blog:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/business-practices-blog-three-kingdoms-post-launch-and-whats-next/

So the next main title team will be ramping up as we speak I would guess, no rest for the wicked. Now I wonder what that might be. Pretty sure it’s going to be TWW 3 – CA’s next big pay day.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,278Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

As an optimist I think Game2 will be in 75% abandoned. The first sign of things to come are LP over CP. 3K might the thing I needed for the prophecy of doom and gloom to be completed.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,439Registered Users
    edited May 25

Xenos7 said:

As an optimist I think Game2 will be in 75% abandoned. The first sign of things to come are LP over CP. 3K might the thing I needed for the prophecy of doom and gloom to be completed.
    WH2 is 100% complete, there might be a few extras (including race packs) but I admit they are not needed.
  • ScreamimgEnvyScreamimgEnvy Posts: 339Registered Users
    Ludbone said:

I'll try to be less pessimistic, but in my personal opinion the 3K > WH2 problems are:

- The LP's and FLC's will have a worse quality compared with P&W and maybe Q&C. . . of course with P&W CA has released the best Lord Pack ever made, thanks to the amount of new units, Kroak and so on. . . but with 3K asking for budget-priority I doubt we'll get 9 units again or another Legendary Hero. . . or maybe FLC's. And we have also to take into consideration the unique and not-simple-reskin units, like Razordon, Troglodon, Medusae, Skycutters, Arcanodon, Stormfiends, Great Pox Rat, Verminlord etc. etc. and even characters like Boneripper.

I highly doubt that the next LP's will be shameful contents. Maybe 3K will prevail on WH2 (some Reddit users are thinking that WH2 is already dead and the future DLC's will be axed, but that's just fear-mongering poop) but releasing a crappy DLC, worse than ever, is not going to happen.

CA needs money.

P&W = much more bucks than Q&W

Even with 3K release, CA will not try to kill their most profitable and fan favorite series since 2016.
    Team Monogods - Team Nurgle

And to be 100% honest...I don't like 3K/Chinese Wars and I won't buy it.

Xenos7 said:

WH2 will be 75% abandoned only if CA will "delete" the future release LP's and FLC's.

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,278Registered Users

Xenos7 said:

WH2 is 100% complete, there might be a few extras (including race packs) but I admit they are not needed.
    Is it? I see a big land full of sand yet no Araby to cover it. I see High Elves, dragon themed race without dragonrider LL. I see a potential for Dogs of War but no barking follows. I admit there is plenty to include. Plenty of needed things!

Xenos7 said:

WH2 will be 75% abandoned only if CA will "delete" the future release LP's and FLC's.
    With nothing to come I think it would be 100%.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• GerardofthetitanGerardofthetitan Posts: 433Registered Users

Xenos7 said:

WOW, we went to:

asking for Araby, DoW, Southern Realms, Kislev and Albion to...

asking only for Araby and DoW to...

asking for good new Lord Packs and Crossgame Packs to...

saying that Warhammer 2 is complete and we don't need other contents. WOW! I guess 3K has killed the game, like for real. Too bad that i don't like it at all...

• takilung31takilung31 Posts: 1,318Registered Users

Xenos7 said:

Is it? I see a big land full of sand yet no Araby to cover it. I see High Elves, dragon themed race without dragonrider LL. I see a potential for Dogs of War but no barking follows. I admit there is plenty to include. Plenty of needed things!

Xenos7 said:

With nothing to come I think it would be 100%.
    And no Moulder stuff, too.

Now we have to wait and see if CA will drop the future Lord Packs and FLC's or not.
    ****, i'm not even a 3K chinese fan...

What are you trying to say by posting this image?

• takilung31takilung31 Posts: 1,318Registered Users

What are you trying to say by posting this image?

Cathay lives matters